Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Its set in the Ozarks i thought

Yeah that's in Arkansas afaik

I wonder if the writers know where all the loose threads tie up, been meandering and rather dull so far. The disagreement among the showrunners has blighted the current series, left with a sense of potential squandered.

There is only one showrunner - Pizzolatto

Each episode has an assigned director

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Detective_(season_3)

the worst episiodes so far (3 and 6) have been done by Daniel Sackheim

he also did 7 and 8 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I've given up on it. Find myself picking up my phone so much throughout the episodes. Another let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I don't get the hate. Found this week and the series overall to be very good.

ricero wrote: »
    I don't get the hate. Found this week and the series overall to be very good.

Same. Took a few episodes to get into it but in the last two episodes I've been hanging on every word.

• Advertisement

hanging on every mumbled word! not I.

I mean if the characters were engaging and had good chemistry it would work to make up for the tedium for me but it doesn't (for me). it's not as if a lot of the dialogue goes anywhere or serves to make any point so much of it seems irrelevant.

Ali is a good actor (Green Book) but apart from what seemed a good start he has displayed no real range here (make-up is not range) - maybe it's the character but still.

And the whole dementia thing has been a bit of a mess so far.

Unless there does turn out to be someone in a black car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The Ozark mountains region straddles northern Arkansas and southern Missouri. This is set in the Arkansas Ozarks. It's a pretty bleak landscape (anyone see Winter's Bone? Although that's just across in Missouri) - very poor; meth is rife. Season one's setting Louisiana is the state south of Arkansas, which I guess lends a similar feel in terms of landscape. S1 isn't particularly "party", Mardi Gras Louisiana.
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    So, is Roland gay then?
    I thought that early on as I sensed a degree of intimacy between him and Tom. But also bearing in mind I could be reading into things.

glasso wrote: »
    hanging on every mumbled word! not I.

I mean if the characters were engaging and had good chemistry it would work to make up for the tedium for me but it doesn't (for me). it's not as if a lot of the dialogue goes anywhere or serves to make any point so much of it seems irrelevant.

Ali is a good actor (Green Book) but apart from what seemed a good start he has displayed no real range here (make-up is not range) - maybe it's the character but still.

And the whole dementia thing has been a bit of a mess so far.

Unless there does turn out to be someone in a black car.

I have to put on subtitles for Hays :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I have to put on subtitles for Hays :pac:

I had subtitles with Nowtv which seemed to get things wrong. Latest episode didn't have any at all so maybe they gave up..!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Eod100 wrote: »
    I had subtitles with Nowtv which seemed to get things wrong. Latest episode didn't have any at all so maybe they gave up..!

Subtitles on Sky were five minutes behind for this episode too.

• Advertisement

The Ozark mountains region straddles northern Arkansas and southern Missouri. This is set in the Arkansas Ozarks. It's a pretty bleak landscape (anyone see Winter's Bone? Although that's just across in Missouri) - very poor; meth is rife. Season one's setting Louisiana is the state south of Arkansas, which I guess lends a similar feel in terms of landscape. S1 isn't particularly "party", Mardi Gras Louisiana.

yes but overall I would think that it's fair to say that there aren't much outdoor shots of landscape at all in s3

whereas you have s1 where the landscape - green and industrial rust was atmospheric

(this is a deleted scene apparently but lots of similar shots in s1 - really added to it imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Eod100 wrote: »
    Subtitles on Sky were five minutes behind for this episode too.

Ooo, adds to the arty and niche mumbling...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: Another decent episode. Damn but that ending was creepy! I'm guessing that's why we don't see the father in the later time period.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Decline? Its pretty damn good so far.

Do people here just have ADHD or something? Really i mean complaining that a character study series has too much dialogue?

Go watch CSI for your bang bang action packed trite

Can't wait to see that 9.6 rated episode

Can't wait to see that 9.6 rated episode

rating for an episode that is not even out yet anywhere lol

lots of dialogue is fine if it's well written, well delivered and actually has some point of progression.

those attributes do not apply to the dialogue in this season for the most part imo.

rating for an episode that is not even out yet anywhere lol

lots of dialogue is fine if it's well written, well delivered and actually has some point of progression.

those attributes do not apply to the dialogue in this season for the most part imo.

damn look at this literary critic over here

read much of beckett?

Or are you really just talking out your arse?

Most of the dialogue is well written, well delivered and no not everything has to be about 'progressing' like wtf this isn't a videogame. CHARACTER STUDY.

IMO you should go watch something that suits your taste, maybe CSI Miami

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

sk8erboii, stop trying to wind people up.

username checks out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Now that was a good episode.. Roll on next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Now that was a good episode.. Roll on next week

Yup, it's coming together nicely.

Apart from episode 3 and 4 which were just ok but a little slow I think it's been a good season

that was a good episode..... at last. didn't drag like pretty much half the season did and there was an actual bit of character development between the 2 leads.

I wonder if it is the same pedo deal as season 1 or a case where the Hoyt's just wanted a child due to their loss? - the security guy did say that he would never do anything to harm a child.

so does Hoyt blackmail Hays to shut up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I could be wrong here but, in the barn scene, Hays ask for the whole story, then the security guy, James, looks at Roland, who looks back with a bit of a suspicious look. Then a minute later Roland shoots him dead. Possibly to shut him up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've been avoiding imdb in case of spoilers, but is Hoyt played by Michael Rooker? It sounded like him on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Effects wrote: »
    I've been avoiding imdb in case of spoilers, but is Hoyt played by Michael Rooker? It sounded like him on the phone.

Yeah Its Michael Rooker.Showed him in a picture in Ep.7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Damn but that was one of the most tense 2nd half of of an episodes I can remember!
    Effects wrote: »
    Hays ask for the whole story, then the security guy, James, looks at Roland, who looks back with a bit of a suspicious look

Yeah, noticed that. Makes me wonder if Roland is how Hoyt seems to know so much so quick and why Roland is where he is in life during the old age scenes.

On Wikipedia, the title of the last episode is listed as:
    Now Am Found.
    I'm not sure what this is gonna mean for
    Hays. Has he just forgotten something. Obviously he doesn't die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I was lost but now am found....tis biblical. Hays is probably gonna get the clarity he's been seeking this whole time...(and maybe a stand off with a loaded gun with Roland!)

Good episode, but not great. I mean we pretty much pieced the whole thing together already anyway. Unless there is one big twist coming...maybe the Roland was in on it angle...but otherwise it's too like season 1 for me. Another pedo ring/daughter couldn't have family so bought one etc etc
    I was hoping for something a little bit more than the big corporation with lots of power can get away with anything schtick.

Beside Harris looking at Roland, one of the other things I noticed is in a lot of the shots Roland is standing behind Hays. In his shadow. Not side by side as we have seen previously. Another sign of something to hide/guilt?

Gonna re-watch that bit in the barn for the look between James and West.

Liked the meta bit looking back to 2012. :)

Good episode imo - as said, intensifying of the two leads' relationship, some reveals (even if you could see them coming - although not before this episode for me).

Love Michael Rooker - that's great news.

The actress who plays Hays's wife is good but her accent is terrible at times. British and Australian actors can struggle with American accents.

• Advertisement

I dunno. That look between West and James in the barn seems fairly innocuous to me. West beat him very severely too - pointing out that his friend was dead due to this whole thing. It wouldn't add up for them to be connected. But then again maybe that's what they want you to think!

Advertisement