Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

West beat him very severely too - pointing out that his friend was dead due to this whole thing.

Well West may have been involved to some degree, not expecting Tom to ever end up dead as a result. Good reason to take out frustration on James as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Good episode. It's all coming together but seemed flagposted at least a few episodes back. Still think AG might play a role.

Seems like they've pretty much solved it now but what kept them quiet so long? Hoyt blackmailing them?

Obviously Julie being alive could have brought the whole case up and both pushing on so have less to lose.

So someone working for Hoyt is spying on Hays now too. Guess they think he's close to closing case fully but how would they know? Surely there's more subtle ways of keeping tabs on someone these days with bugging etc especially a senile old man.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Eod100 wrote: »
    Good episode. It's all coming together but seemed flagposted at least a few episodes back. Still think AG might play a role.

Seems like they've pretty much solved it now but what kept them quiet so long? Hoyt blackmailing them?

Obviously Julie being alive could have brought the whole case up and both pushing on so have less to lose.

So someone working for Hoyt is spying on Hays now too. Guess they think he's close to closing case fully but how would they know? Surely there's more subtle ways of keeping tabs on someone these days with bugging etc especially a senile old man.

What kept them quiet???

Did you miss the part where Hoyt names his kids and wife one by one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Wonder if it'll be revealed whether Hoyt and his goons went after West in 1990 also.

Or was West involved to a degree with whatever is going on, as others speculate. He and Hays are buddies in 2015 though, but then again Hays has the memory gaps. How could Hoyt have found out about the Harris James situation in the barn - other than from West? Maybe it was coerced out of West though.

Remember when James kinda flirted with Hays a couple of episodes back - telling him he had a good body? That was a bit odd. He was being questioned by police and said that!

sk8erboii wrote: »
    What kept them quiet???

Did you miss the part where Hoyt names his kids and wife one by one?

Well yeah, that got him to come outside to meet Hoyt in first place. Presumably threat to accuse him and West of murdering Harris played a part too.

Guess point is why is it being treated as new information that Hoyt was involved when they knew all along? Hays had forgotten with his dementia? Couldn't find Julie alive or dead to tie her kidnapping to Hoyt? Interference from the top to make them keep quiet? etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

That short scene with Hays dropping his daughter off to college was quite interesting, presumably mid 2000s, I find it interesting how that particular storyline will play out in the final episode because it has barely been touched.

yeah so are we going to find out for sure if the wife and daughter are dead - presumably will be all settled up.

1huge1 wrote: »
    That short scene with Hays dropping his daughter off to college was quite interesting, presumably mid 2000s, I find it interesting how that particular storyline will play out in the final episode because it has barely been touched.

Seems like they have a lot to fit in about a 50 min episode (unless finale is bit longer)

1huge1 wrote: »

thought it was strange to open up a new timeline exposition in the penultimate episode - maybe you coudl just class it as a memory (once-off).

Final episode is allegedly 75 mins

• Advertisement

Final episode is allegedly 75 mins

Ah that would make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

What a finale. Just as good as the first season......

glasso wrote: »
    that was a good episode..... at last. didn't drag like pretty much half the season did and there was an actual bit of character development between the 2 leads.

I wonder if it is the same pedo deal as season 1 or a case where the Hoyt's just wanted a child due to their loss? - the security guy did say that he would never do anything to harm a child.

so does Hoyt blackmail Hays to shut up?

so it was this.

all wrapped up too neatly really with the "big reveal" with one-eyed jack just spilling his guts in 30 seconds and then the happy ending bit after. all that dragging out of a relatively simple story just for that.

don't think that there will be a season 4 based on the audience numbers for this season.

wasn't very good at all for me.

Actually thought the conclusion to the mystery was good. There was the thing people speculated, but then there was a further angle.

Disappointing overall though, as so many other questions were left unanswered. And looking back now, there was far too much pointless filler and misleads, which I mistakenly thought would amount to something.

I would have preferred more development of Roland's story than the constant and tedious bickering between Wayne and Amelia. Why did he nearly get himself beaten to death in the bar in 1990? Why was he crying in despair?

What was the disconnect from Hays's daughter about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This season dragged and dragged to the end, with a near unbearable 75 minute finale episode.

Not a big fan of the narrative format. If you think you have an amazing, interesting, exciting, etc. story when told chronologically, then why the hell are you showing it non-chronologically? If your stupid plot is only exciting and dramatic when told non-chronologically, then it's not much of a story to begin with.

I've enjoyed non-chronological films, but the whole gimmick here each episode was just jumping around from year to year, to make it to seem mysterious and confusing. It was just a mess.

I agree about this mechanism of jumping between timezones - most often it is used in the hope that a storyline that is very pedestrian will somehow seem interesting.

if the effect actually adds something (e.g. if something in the past explains why characters might do something in a later timezone) it can work but I don't really see what / if anything it added here.

there was so much waffle in this show that did nothing whatsoever for any dramatisation or character development.

season 2 is actually better overall.

Westworld infamously does this also - total load of bollicks in that usage also.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The one thing i hope comes from this is that Dorff gets some good roles coming up and doesn't go back to straight to DVD roles as he is better than that.

Actually thought the conclusion to the mystery was good. There was the thing people speculated, but then there was a further angle.

Disappointing overall though, as so many other questions were left unanswered. And looking back now, there was far too much pointless filler and misleads, which I mistakenly thought would amount to something.

I would have preferred more development of Roland's story than the constant and tedious bickering between Wayne and Amelia. Why did he nearly get himself beaten to death in the bar in 1990? Why was he crying in despair?

What was the disconnect from Hays's daughter about?

I believe that was immediately after Hays quit the job. He wanted to vent. He wanted to fight someone, anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So Season 3 yay or nay? Only got about 20m into the first episode. Season 2 left a very bad taste in the mouth!

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    So Season 3 yay or nay? Only got about 20m into the first episode. Season 2 left a very bad taste in the mouth!

I say yay. I can drag it parts but I loved it overall. Not quite as good as season 1 but vastly superior to season 2.

And Mahershala Ali... what an actor. Never knew he existed up until this and the Green Book. I'll watch anything with him now.

is_that_so wrote: »

I'd say nay.

starts out well initially (first 2 episodes) but not worth the subsequent drag and when you get to the end you're left wondering what the point of much of the content was.

totally fails on story and in the title objective - "True detective" - the interaction and development of the 2 leads was a bad fail for me also - relationship was not engaging at all imo (although appears ok in the first couple of episodes).

light years apart from what went on and the way interest was held between the 2 leads in season 1.

in fact it was more about Hays and his wife than Hays and his detective partner Roland West.

and that was a boring relationship (with the wife) - just boring bickering, that ultimately didn't go anywhere and was unresolved.

as for the daughter appearing back in out of the blue in the last episode at the very end - rubbish and I wouldn't buy any dementia point to prove for the manner of her re-introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

So was the brown car outside his home a figment of his imagination or real?

Degag wrote: »

no, it was one-eyed jack (the dead eye guy working for the Hoyt's)

pretty clearly explained in the last episode I would have thought when he specifically said that it was him.

Degag wrote: »

The one-eyed guy at the end was in the car. He wanted to confess everything but didn't have the balls to go in and tell him.

I believe that was immediately after Hays quit the job. He wanted to vent. He wanted to fight someone, anyone.
    Hays quit in '80 though. West had the meltdown (which was quite heartbreaking) in '90. I was watching hairstyles and clothes closely to avoid the mix-up. Actually, maybe it's because he had just been complicit in killing a man... which would do it all right. :pac:

Hays quit in '80 though. West had the meltdown (which was quite heartbreaking) in '90. I was watching hairstyles and clothes closely to avoid the mix-up. Actually, maybe it's because he had just been complicit in killing a man... which would do it all right. :pac:

Hays didn't quit in 80, he took a desk job in the police because he wouldn't sign the declaration from the higher-ups. In 90 he and West reunited to investigate the case - Hays hadn't worked as a detective since 80.

He actually quit the police after the Hoyt threat in 90 and the conversation with his wife about needing to leave the whole case behind so they move on from that. Cue to him working as campus security and she was a lecturer / professor.

you're right about the fight West got into being in 90 - he went out to get into some aggro after he shot the Hoyt security guy/ ex-cop. That was also the reason that he and Hoyt didn't speak for 25 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Ehhhhhhhhhh , not really. I am finished now. One question if anyone can answer?
    Can someone please explain to me what happened with the wife , please.

I think if it was binge watched over maybe a week it could/might/maybe have been more rewarding. But all in all I am still scratching my head on this.
    Also the ambiguous ending as regards the fate of Julie Purcell was frustrating

Advertisement