Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Parallel remains much colder than op gfs and more in line with ukmo. Plenty snow on offer

Nationwide? Or confines to South west/west

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The house alarm and other alarms keep going off in the estate, can the snow effect house alarms?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Dreading the driving this morning (South Tipp) up in hills roads probably be grand once you get down...won't be surprised if local school calls a snow day from what I can see out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Heavy snow now in Dublin

Ah just joking “Flake News”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

Good frost on the car this morning and down to -1. Drive to work was fine at 4:20am. Curragh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Latest Met Eireann forecast for Thursday saying rain mostly with snow on hills and mountains. Sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bassy wrote: »
    Stay warm graces7

Thanks and worry not! My neighbour the ferryman is three fields away and sells me good hand cut turf at a good price, and has a tractor! I am snug and safe which means I can enjoy whatever the weather brings. Made sure of that! ;)

small communities are good at these times

Sounds appalling out there just now. shivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Light snow flurries, turning heavy

16km west Cork City
    58m asl
    ~0.1c

Beginning to stick to wet surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Has anyone been out driving in cork city? I have work in an hour and I didnt expect to see this much lying snow when I woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I can't see the mountains, although I am sure they are white, but not a flake here in South Kerry. It was a quiet night apart from being woken bu big thunder just after midnight..

600 ft ASL MacGillycuddy's Reeks - North of Sneem - Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Interesting and very significant call made by Met Eireann on tomorrow’s event. Referred to now as ‘rain preceded by snow’. A very different view to what was expected by many

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Latest Harmonie has shifted the precip north with much more rain than snow.

I think it is mainly going to be a high ground event but could change again.

Must be higher tides than usual from the greatly increased sounds..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Longford Town this am... Its up past the kerbs... I'm taking a snow day... No roads gritted or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Just up for work here outside Kinnegad, couple of cm of snow sitting on the ground while a steady stream of the white stuff falls from the stars.

Be an interesting drive into work.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have not had time today to participate or read much of the thread, has there been discussion of the wind gust potential in Cork and Kerry? Guidance seems to indicate potential for winds of 80 to 120 km/hr (ESE backing to ENE). I think it will be a case of waves of mixed precip alternating from phase to phase with very heavy wet snowfall accumulations above 200 metres, significant 50 to 200 metres, melting lower than 50 metres asl. Thoughts appreciated, I do see some similarity to the great snowstorm of April 1-2, 1917 in this trajectory. Might be 1-2 deg warmer than that event, not sure how much snow reduction that would imply. Tough call for forecasters, every parameter very close to marginal for low elevation snow, not much doubt about hill snow however.

Off topic, but looked at upper air maps in central North America, -40 C at 850 mb west of Chicago now. And -47 at 500 mb. Mega-cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Interesting and very significant call made by Met Eireann on tomorrow’s event. Referred to now as ‘rain preceded by snow’. A very different view to what was expected by many

It's a forecast of two halves - starts out quite tame with rain and hill snow but then mentions significant accumulations in Munster and Leinster with little in the way of thaw, it also mentions lying snow and snowfields so it's actually a pretty wintry forecast! :rolleyes:

Have not had time today to participate or read much of the thread, has there been discussion of the wind gust potential in Cork and Kerry? Guidance seems to indicate potential for winds of 80 to 120 km/hr (ESE backing to ENE). I think it will be a case of waves of mixed precip alternating from phase to phase with very heavy wet snowfall accumulations above 200 metres, significant 50 to 200 metres, melting lower than 50 metres asl. Thoughts appreciated, I do see some similarity to the great snowstorm of April 1-2, 1917 in this trajectory. Might be 1-2 deg warmer than that event, not sure how much snow reduction that would imply. Tough call for forecasters, every parameter very close to marginal for low elevation snow, not much doubt about hill snow however.

Off topic, but looked at upper air maps in central North America, -40 C at 850 mb west of Chicago now. And -47 at 500 mb. Mega-cold.

Great gusts Mayo also all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Has anyone been out driving in cork city? I have work in an hour and I didnt expect to see this much lying snow when I woke up.

Not the city,but came from carrigaline and the roads are not great. Main road not much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

6 am snowdepths:

9 cm: Thomastown (Tyrone, 72 m)
    7 cm: Ballypatrick Forest (Antrim, 156 m)
    4 cm: Lough Fea (Derry, 225 m)
    3 cm: Cork Airport (153 m)
    1 cm: Castlederg (Tyrone, 52 m), Knock Airport (205 m)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

White gold in Sligo town. About 6-7 cm I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

6 am snowdepths:

9 cm: Thomastown (Tyrone, 72 m)
    7 cm: Ballypatrick Forest (Antrim, 156 m)
    4 cm: Lough Fea (Derry, 225 m)
    3 cm: Cork Airport (153 m)
    1 cm: Castlederg (Tyrone, 52 m), Knock Airport (205 m)

I read that first as 72m of snow

I should get more sleep

the connaught forecast for tomorrow

" Some rain and sleet will soon develop falling as snow in places, mainly on mountains. Top temperatures of just 3 or 4"

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I read that first as 72m of snow

I should get more sleep

LOL!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Left Kinnegad at 4.55am , couple of cm of snow sitting on the ground , old N4 to dublin only being gritted at that stage. Dublin dry cool and clear 0 degrees..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Those lucky enough for the white stuff, can you post pics please

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Villain wrote: »
    Latest Harmonie has shifted the precip north with much more rain than snow.

I think it is mainly going to be a high ground event but could change again.

Euro4 hasn't given up hope yet for us in the deep south west 19020100_3000.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Good bit of snow here in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Euro4 hasn't given up hope yet for us in the deep south west 19020100_3000.gif

Met Eireann forecast is strange if you read it. Starts off as rain mostly but by the end snow covered fields!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭pauldry

6cm of snow Sligo town

Kids delighted

Still snowing

Advertisement