Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Mod Note: Where is Met Eireann saying Extremely cold with disruptive snow.

I'm not sure they said disruptive but they did say widespread snow on Thursday after the news at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

I'm not sure they said disruptive but they did say widespread snow on Thursday after the news at 6

As much as I want to see widespread snow, this is not set in stone and is subject to change. Eastern coastal counties unlikely to see snow at ground level due to the onshore easterly wind (as of now)

esposito wrote: »
    As much as I want to see widespread snow, this is not set in stone and is subject to change. Eastern coastal counties unlikely to see snow at ground level due to the onshore easterly wind (as of now)

Ah yeah I hear ya.. I was just passing on what Met E said on their bulletin. It struck me as quite bullish this far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Given the models volatility i’m amazed they are going as far as Thursday with any forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fairly significant snowfall away from southern and eastern coastal districts for Thursday on the EC 12z.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 12Z showing widespread snow for Thurs.

lLaxFG6.png

nFH1Fbp.png

8d5pPzp.png

MQfXkQh.png

zfmIHsb.png

mvle8ea.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

After that on Saturday from the ECM,we have this,should it be right,520 dam and -7 uppers in a northeasterly
    Pretty sure anything falling out of the sky in that would be frozen

caeb37a71465309832f5b76404139340.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

It's getting beyond a joke now, the snow or any dusting at all is constantly 4 days away..

Wasn't it supposedly going to throw some Icy moisture our way this evening ?

To be fair in Ireland a cm or 2 is disruptive on the roads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Slow moving deep area of LP, 850 hPa Temps just round -4C in general.

5qd9IBV.png

jU1PFK2.png

0QJcnM8.png

CUrUwSQ.png

leJ8o6n.png

DWuftUQ.png

• Advertisement

Muckka wrote: »
    It's getting beyond a joke now, the snow or any dusting at all is constantly 4 days away..

Wasn't it supposedly going to throw some Icy moisture our way this evening ?

Have you been watching the models this winter? It’s usually 7-10 days away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

ECM 12Z showing widespread snow for Thurs.

Kanturk is getting it ��

ECM 12Z for Tues .

IMO

Weak front passing over the country giving rain, sleet and snow probably getting lighter towards the E, followed by wintry showers and I think a trough might produce more organised snow showers later in the day. Snow in places , mainly elevated ground. Cold day.

Freeze beginning early after dark.

j4r3kjZ.gif

PkV618r.png

fmetv6w.png

PZJyrRX.png

KNSBogQ.png

f80ILcy.png

UHiR1ey.png

jQsEKY6.png

FXigbRM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Have you been watching the models this winter? It’s usually 7-10 days away.

I tried to be neutral with my 4 day's.
    I'm hoping for cold choppy conditions to fish for cod from the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Germans have a term for what we'll get this week: Nasskalt. That horrible wet cold that's of use to no-one. Temperature and dewpoints both in low single figures, cold wet slop.

There is still no signal of anything of any interest at low levels this week. Where is the cold dry boundary level going to come from? Modified Greenland air that will be sitting around here for a few days. Lovely for mountainyman and some higher dwellers, not much for the rest of us. Look beyond the model output for a moment and think of the bigger picture.

The Low on Thurs coming straight out of Canada. Very low thickness , cold airmas.

ynf0SzS.gif

NpbvGkl.gif

The Low on Thurs coming straight out of Canada. Very low thickness , cold airmas.

ynf0SzS.gif

NpbvGkl.gif

The first chart is 500 hPa height, not thickness.

Latest Met Éireann online forecast not mentioning anything about widespread snow or disruption.
    Issued at: 27 January 2019 16:11

TONIGHT - SUNDAY 27TH JANUARY
    Outbreaks of showery rain will mainly affect the west and southwest of the country this evening and tonight, with good dry and clear periods elsewhere. Lowest temperatures of -1 to +3 degrees with frost and icy stretches forming across many parts of Ulster and Leinster. Light northwest breezes.

TOMORROW - MONDAY 28TH JANUARY
    Frosty in many places tomorrow morning. Otherwise the day will be bright with good spells of sunshine but also with scattered showers, mainly across Ulster and Connacht. A cold day with highs of 4 to 8 degrees in fresh westerly winds.

NATIONAL OUTLOOK
    HEADLINE: Unsettled and becoming colder with frost and wintry precipitation.

On Monday night scattered showers will become confined to Atlantic coastal counties. However, a spell of rain will affect the west and southwest later and become widespread by morning, turning wintry with the risk of some accumulations on higher ground. Lowest temperatures will be around -1 to +2 degrees with widespread frost. Southwesterly winds will be mostly light to moderate.

Tuesday will be very cold with outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow which will later clear to scattered wintry showers and some sunny spells. Top temperatures will reach just 2 to 6 degrees. Southwesterly winds will veer northwest and freshen.

Tuesday night will be very cold with scattered wintry showers and clear spells. Lowest temperatures will fall to between zero and -3 degrees with a widespread hard frost.

Wednesday will continue cold with scattered wintry showers becoming isolated and mostly dry later with good sunny spells. Top temperatures will be around 3 to 7 degrees and fresh west to northwest winds will ease.

Wednesday night will be dry with good clear spells at first and it will turn very cold with lowest temperatures falling to -1 to -5 degrees with a severe frost. However, cloud will increase from the southwest with a spell of persistent rain affecting the west and southwest by dawn.

On Thursday a spell of rain, sleet and snow will gradually clear northward to scattered wintry showers. Staying rather cold with afternoon temperatures of just 1 to 7 degrees in freshening easterly winds.

Latest Met Éireann online forecast not mentioning anything about widespread snow or disruption.

That was there at 9am this morning so may be a bit out of date for the updated model view on Thursday which looks like the possible snow date.

Btw Siobhan Ryan said on forecast after 6pm news widespread snow on Thursday if you want to have a look.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Arrr do the eyes deceive me 😂😂😂😂

471428.jpeg

There won’t be a loaf left on the shelves , what ever happens this week and personally I think it maybe a watered down mix , enjoy it where ever the white gold falls !

• Advertisement

I just rewatched the weather after 6pm news with Siobhan Ryan. She did say Rain, Sleet and Snow. She said there could be a dusting anywhere on Tuesday and snow could be become more of a problem and more widespread later in the week.

I'm not expecting much here but it did strike me as a pretty snowy forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For Cork fans here goes:
    Tuesday early rain clearing but turning to snow over hills before it does. Then showers packing in from early afternoon with lying snow likely by nightfall over high ground. As most of Cork is hilly a lot will see snow.
    Wednesday further snow showers early on then becoming dry after noon. Severe frost at nightfall with temps falling below minus 5
    Thursday depends on whether the wind can stay off shore. Further inland towards limerick / tipperary heavy disruptive snow.
    Expect warnings to be issued either tonight or in morning.
    As for the dubs.....best chance Thurs

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

For Cork fans here goes:
    Tuesday early rain clearing but turning to snow over hills before it does. Then showers packing in from early afternoon with lying snow likely by nightfall over high ground. As most of Cork is hilly a lot will see snow.
    Wednesday further snow showers early on then becoming dry after noon. Severe frost at nightfall with temps falling below minus 5
    Thursday depends on whether the wind can stay off shore. Further inland towards limerick / tipperary heavy disruptive snow.

Up the dubs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The Germans have a term for what we'll get this week: Nasskalt. That horrible wet cold that's of use to no-one. Temperature and dewpoints both in low single figures, cold wet slop.

There is still no signal of anything of any interest at low levels this week. Where is the cold dry boundary level going to come from? Modified Greenland air that will be sitting around here for a few days. Lovely for mountainyman and some higher dwellers, not much for the rest of us. Look beyond the model output for a moment and think of the bigger picture.

A little overly negative perhaps! Maybe this will be the case for certain coastal parts of the south and east but there is the chance of some decent snowfall for parts.

It isn't going to match Emma but beggars can't be choosers.

Rare enough you see Ireland pinpointed potential anomalous snow at Day 4

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

For Cork fans here goes:

Think I'll take out the kids sledge! Hopefully we will see a bit in Macroom if not were not far from the top of millstreet country park where it's usually beautiful powder snow.

aisling86 wrote: »
    Think I'll take out the kids sledge! Hopefully we will see a bit in Macroom if not were not far from the top of millstreet country park where it's usually beautiful powder snow.

I am near Mallow so hoping for something similar!!

The first chart is 500 hPa height, not thickness.

Was reading the dam values and from the Fax chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Wow exciting forecast from Siobhan there after the 9bells news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭pauldry

Therel definitely be heavy snow in many locations this week. Tuesday or Thursday. Pigmuck other days.

Was 0c in Collooney on way home. But was raining. Unfortunately my dew point temp reader got smashed by storm anonymous last night so id say they are still positive but snow will be here this week.

Ulster will do well. Other locations dustings. Thursday South has potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Wow exciting forecast from Siobhan there after the 9bells news

“Where all gonna die”

Advertisement