Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

a148pro wrote: »
    Anywho, who is where and how is it?

Gastein, chamonix timaay? I admire anyone similarly willing to drop everything for the powder

I just arrived in Flaine this afternoon, haven't been out on the piste yet, but it was snowing all afternoon. If we get the right weather tomorrow it could be epic. 😎

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The H-PST 900 ADULT SKI HELMET from decathlon has adjustable vents, but is coming in at €60. The H300 ADULT SKI AND SNOWBOARD HELMET is only €30.
    By way of comparison, a big name brand helmet goes from €90 up to 200, and will not have any higher safety spec than those above.

100-200 will get you a MIPS helmet which will have a higher safety spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

In westendorf skiing the skiwelt runs are fabulous not that busy but expect the weekend to be manic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

dzer2 wrote: »
    In westendorf skiing the skiwelt runs are fabulous not that busy but expect the weekend to be manic

Arriving there on Saturday. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

Gastein, chamonix timaay? I admire anyone similarly willing to drop everything for the powder

In Chamonix, snowed heavy at the start of the week, Tuesday and Wednesday were blue skies and today it snowed from about 11 o clock until late evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Around 90cm dump of snow Sunday (day I flew in), straight into a powder day off piste monday, 2 unbelievable bluebird days Tue and Wed, I'm nearly glad of the whiteout weather today and being able to call it quits early my legs are that absolutely knackered ha. Hopefully will be 20/30cm of fresh snow and some sunshine for my final day tomorrow, which would cap off a brilliant week. Either way I'll leaving Chamonix with a much better option of the place than last time when it was a whiteout and high winds for nearly the full week ha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The H-PST 900 ADULT SKI HELMET from decathlon has adjustable vents, but is coming in at €60. The H300 ADULT SKI AND SNOWBOARD HELMET is only €30.
    By way of comparison, a big name brand helmet goes from €90 up to 200, and will not have any higher safety spec than those above.

Why does it matter that the helmet has vents? I thought the goggles would need the vents?

olaola wrote: »
    Decathlon ones are all grand in my experience - when are you away? (it's gonna be cold in Austria for the foreseeable future)

Late February so it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Late February so it should be fine.

All of the helmets will have vents - some can be closed. If it's very cold, I just wear a really thin snood yoke underneath. Lidl had some helmets today BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Superb showing by boardsies, enjoy it lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

Why does it matter that the helmet has vents? I thought the goggles would need the vents?

I can only speak from personal experience, but there's been far more times when my head is too warm than too cold. Bearing in mind that you're in Austria in late Feb, there's every chance it could be +10 in the valley with the Sun beating down. Btw, in the same vein, if you haven't already bought one, a ski jacket with underarm zip ventilation is very handy.
    @Rev, This new MIPS system may well provide marginal protection over the standard CEN 1077 helmets in specific circumstances. However the high cost might put beginners off. They could be inclined to think sure I'm not going to be hurtling down the slopes, that's one more expense I can do without. The message should be, If you want to ski, wear a helmet.

Just throwing up a few pics from Bad Hofgastein.
    Wednesday and Thursday were perfect days.
    The conditions are great there.
    For anyone that’s been before with the funicular and cablecar, the new gondola is a great upgrade, although it did seem to be running slow some days and they’re also after a few teething problems but overall its great.

(Sorry for the multiple deleted posts, images are just over the 4mb limit and doing from phone is awkward)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I usually send Facebook photos to myself, then download them, that automatically resizes them to less than a mb usually ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

Just back home from a really great week in Chamonix,really loved it there. Got really lucky with the weather plus it's a beautiful lively town.Will return!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Day 1 down in Saalbach , class, weather is good, great vis, great snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Macdarack wrote: »
    Day 1 down in Saalbach , class, weather is good, great vis, great snow.

We're off on Sat!! Can't wait! Staying in Hinterglemm for the first time, we're usually in Saalbach village.

In Soll, snow is good but the off piste its fairly tracked, covered about 40km today might go further afield tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Guys, any nice restaurants in zell am see? I'm hopng to have something to celebrate, so am looking for a nicer place than the typical apres ski restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

blue note wrote: »
    Guys, any nice restaurants in zell am see? I'm hopng to have something to celebrate, so am looking for a nicer place than the typical apres ski restaurant.

stayed in Thumersbach on my first ever ski holiday, which is a small village around the lake (free bus), i remember there being a class restaurant (nervously ordered a medium steak, got a rare steak, haven't looked back), there and a nice pub that was good craic. Not today or yesterday though, but it might still be worth a few beers during your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

In Courchevel since yesterday, very cold but pistes are in great condition. It could do with a good dump of snow for off piste though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

On my way home from Flaine tomorrow, have to say it's been great. First three days the slopes were fantastic and off piste was amazing, wide open powder fields with n'er a cravasse in sight. Day four was grand, slopes were balding, and mud was starting to appear, so caution was needed. Today was mixed bag - morning was a mess, boarded over to morillion, but they neglected to mention the only lift back was closed for the day. So I spent the whole morning panicking about how to get back. All the information about this was written on blackboards, in French, at each lift, so it was of limited use. Ended up getting bus back.
    Back in Flaine it had started to snow, so spent the remaining hours of my piste time on amazing low-visibility powder slopes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Heading to Mayrhofen for 7 days boarding Sat week! This has been the longest January yet. Cannae wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

Shlippery,
    You should definitely do a day in Kaltenback and Zell Am Ziller. Great resorts very close to Mayrhofen and it's all covered by the Zillertal SuperSki Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Davd

Shlippery wrote: »
    Heading to Mayrhofen for 7 days boarding Sat week! This has been the longest January yet. Cannae wait!

Heading to Mayrhofen ourselves (4) on Saturday week. Snow forecast is heavy snow for much of the week. Been before in heavy snow and can get very cold compared to places like Soll. Can't wait though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

Heading to Mayrhofen on the 8th of Feb myself. 13 lads. I heard the snow is amazing this year. Have been there when it's snowing heavy but not in major powder fields. I think I'll be hiring an instructor to improve my powder skills if there's that much.

I am going to Mayrhofen in late February. I hope ye enjoy your trip. Please give me tips and tricks for Mayrhofen when ye get back. I am using Ski Pro Austria for lessons and ski rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Off to Serre Chevalier tomorrow, hasn't been much snow up to now but forecast is pretty much snow for the week.

Davd wrote: »
    Heading to Mayrhofen ourselves (4) on Saturday week. Snow forecast is heavy snow for much of the week. Been before in heavy snow and can get very cold compared to places like Soll. Can't wait though...

Its was -9 (and lower) during the day at one stage this week in Soll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Going to Val D'Isere for the first time in 4 weeks.

Any tips much appreciated.

We are a group of intermediate skiiers and boarders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I am going to Mayrhofen in late February. I hope ye enjoy your trip. Please give me tips and tricks for Mayrhofen when ye get back. I am using Ski Pro Austria for lessons and ski rental.

If you're a mid to experienced skier/boarder, definitely mark off a day to go down the Valley to Zell Am Ziller. It's an absolute gem and the most stunning place on a bluebird day. Fantastic runs. Only 10 minutes or so on the train from Mayrhofen and train and pass are covered by your Mayrhofen pass. Nice on-piste bars for some apres before heading home.

We love Moes bar in the town for some chilled apres drinks and snacks, and for hanging around into the evening if you like. Otherwise the infamous ice bar is great craic for some proper Euro-pop apres ski.

Advertisement