Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Off to Ischgl next weekend

Any advise on best runs, off piste areas, restaurants, bars (preferably ones that don't play cheesy après music tongue.png) welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Billy Mays wrote: »
    (preferably ones that don't play cheesy après music tongue.png) welcome.

In austria, that's the equivalent of asking for a ski area without snow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Just back from a few days in Austria (Alpbach) and took coverage for €16, took a few "nips" off piste myself and better to be safe than sorry. Now if I only had coverage for the return shuttle asshat who baled on us...

What transfer company was that? How did you make it to the airport in the end?

empty21 wrote: »
    Places to stay in Austria

Looking at going to austria March 8th to 12th. Having trouble finding accommodation for 8 people as it's a Friday to a Tuesday. Anyone got a recommendation mayrhofen or soelden preferably. But will consider anything.

Thanks

Mick

You wont have much luck in those spots for not full week bookings. Its worse that your crossing 2 weeks and not just 1 partial week. Best bet is having a rental car and staying else where in the Zillertal valley. Soelden Id say you have a hope.

a148pro wrote: »

Few bars here in Söll that don't do the god awful Austrian apres stuff

• Advertisement

I was in several bars in St Anton last year that weren't playing it

In fairness, Ischgl is a classy place too but only bar I can remember was titty bar place at lift station to skiers right. But there must be nice bars in the town, probably in some of the nicer hotels, that don't inflict austrian apres wonders on their guests?

Pistes - there's a superb ring of 3 or four steep blacks towards the right half of the ski map with fast lifts back up, there's also another black or red that's close to them that winds its way down through nice rock faces, its harder to find and doesn't get as much traffic, think you need to get a t bar into it

Long run down to samnaun is worth a trip. Also there's a lovely red at the opposite side of the resort to the 3 blacks that's one way, long, and jdoesn't get much traffic

I never did off piste there but it looked samnaun was best place for it - each of the pistes there kind of winds around little bumpy hills that could all be good for off piste

Don't remember specifics of food apart from very tasty and good meal in a hotel which was really cheap. But in general in Ischgl you'll be well looked after - its just a classy resort in general so food and facilities on the mountain are great

One of my favourite resorts for piste skiing - great pistes, superb lift infrastructure, classy and not overrun by brits and irish. You'll have a blast enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Just back from Flaine a great week, lots of snow.

Too much for black runs to be open.

On last day there was 40cm of snow, we had just got down, when all lifts closed and all pisteurs and lift staff headed up the mountain.

Thankfully no one was trapped but seems like there was a slump/avalanche onto a blue piste that they had closed off earlier in the day.

Impressive to see the lock down and response, sobering to see it. Glad they work so hard to keep us safe.

In fairness, Ischgl is a classy place too but only bar I can remember was titty bar place at lift station to skiers right. But there must be nice bars in the town, probably in some of the nicer hotels, that don't inflict austrian apres wonders on their guests?

Pistes - there's a superb ring of 3 or four steep blacks towards the right half of the ski map with fast lifts back up, there's also another black or red that's close to them that winds its way down through nice rock faces, its harder to find and doesn't get as much traffic, think you need to get a t bar into it

Long run down to samnaun is worth a trip. Also there's a lovely red at the opposite side of the resort to the 3 blacks that's one way, long, and jdoesn't get much traffic

I never did off piste there but it looked samnaun was best place for it - each of the pistes there kind of winds around little bumpy hills that could all be good for off piste

Don't remember specifics of food apart from very tasty and good meal in a hotel which was really cheap. But in general in Ischgl you'll be well looked after - its just a classy resort in general so food and facilities on the mountain are great

One of my favourite resorts for piste skiing - great pistes, superb lift infrastructure, classy and not overrun by brits and irish. You'll have a blast enjoy.
      Appreciated icon14.png

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
      Appreciated icon14.png

Find some good bars and post for next trip!

kal7 wrote: »

On last day there was 40cm of snow, we had just got down, when all lifts closed and all pisteurs and lift staff headed up the mountain.

Thankfully no one was trapped but seems like there was a slump/avalanche onto a blue piste that they had closed off earlier in the day.

Impressive to see the lock down and response, sobering to see it. Glad they work so hard to keep us safe.

Wow, never even heard of something like that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

Rew wrote: »
      You wont have much luck in those spots for not full week bookings. Its worse that your crossing 2 weeks and not just 1 partial week. Best bet is having a rental car and staying else where in the Zillertal valley. Soelden Id say you have a hope.

Thanks, managed to get a place in Neukirchen. Has anyone been here?? Wildkogel is the resort name.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Rew wrote: »
      What transfer company was that? How did you make it to the airport in the end?

Shuttle Direct, who I guess subbed it out to N.Sen transport company. Dude rang 40 mins before pickup to tell us make our own arrangements back. This was 6am. Hotel staff were brilliant (Alpbacherhof), sorted out a local bus driver to take us so far, then a switch for the remainder of the trip. Made it with one hour till flight, check-in person extremely cranky... “you’re late... always people from Dublin”. Talk about an insult, accusing me of being from Dublin... Will definitely go back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

To be fair there was less euro pop music in Saalbach Austria this year, up the mountains too they seemed to be playing more house music thank fu€k. It can be done.

I have a soft spot for the Euro pop crap - definitely not as a musical choice, but for purposes of seeing an otherwise sober people acting collectively nuts, standing on tables in ski boots, singing along and doing the moves

Maybe one night in four only though?

It is great craic but I'd say most days you'd prefer a classy bar with a nice glass of wine / aperol spritz and some beautiful people

Probably depends how sweaty I am coming off the slopes

Sweaty - Euro pop

Not sweaty - beautiful people / drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Macdarack wrote: »
      To be fair there was less euro pop music in Saalbach Austria this year, up the mountains too they seemed to be playing more house music thank fu€k. It can be done.

Definitely not our experience, just back from Hinterglemm and was Schlager all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Any tips for Saalbach Hinterglemm? Decent early intermediate pistes, mountain bars and evening restaurants basically! Or anything really

Seems to be loads of lads from here going to Saalbach. Did one day there and definitely going to look it up again, ideally with kids as suggested by someone above.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Hulk Hands wrote: »
      Any tips for Saalbach Hinterglemm? Decent early intermediate pistes, mountain bars and evening restaurants basically! Or anything really

Get the Kohlmaisbahn and head all the way to Leogang for a lovely run. Stop in Forstalm for Lunch

Fieberbrunn if you want to challenge yourself a bit.

Bernkogelrbahn and keep left at top to go towards hinterglemm and stop in Goatstall for lunch... savage ribs.
      Reiterkogelbahn back up and a nice hop back to Saalbach.

Magic 66 for apres On Slope 66! 2 for 1 on all drinks for happy hour... gets messy but great fun.

Del Rossis in Saalbach for evening dinner... Prawn starter and T-bone.... thank me later!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

I'm miles too early but...

Looking to book 4-5 days skiing next year, mid Jan. Don't really care where as long as it's not a long transfer from the airport and the skiing is good.

Are St. Anton/Soll a good option that time of year for a 3-4 night stay or is it wishful thinking and most places will prefer a week at least?

EDIT to add that we have all skieda number of times before but not in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

Looking to book 4-5 days skiing next year, mid Jan. Don't really care where as long as it's not a long transfer from the airport and the skiing is good.

Are St. Anton/Soll a good option that time of year for a 3-4 night stay or is it wishful thinking and most places will prefer a week at least?

EDIT to add that we have all skieda number of times before but not in a few years

I doubt you will get anywhere in the resorts for shorter than the usual Sat to Sat. If you can really only go for 3-4 days max, then you're looking at flying into Munich and driving down. You could try some of the neighboring towns/villages on tirol.at to see availability.

Mid Jan very quiet in austria. Just book your flights and you will get accommodation in the days running up to the trip. You just have to be willing to wing it in that sense. I went early - mid Jan this year and only booked it driving out to the airport. There were loads of options and that was in a busy resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I've had decent success on short trips to St Anton for accommodation of less than a week. It involves emailing a load of places to check for availability as a lot of them won't have stuff showing online for short dates. In saying that, the likes of booking.com has improved over the last couple of years for ski resort accommodation.

Also I wouldn't bother looking until close to the time as I don't think a lot of places have next years winter accommodation available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Look for the soul house at the bottom of 46, great bar with live music every evening from 3.30ish, cool spot. Crazy deer or Bobby's for a rugby match if interested. Swepp bar is worth a peep too, down stairs of course. Avoid the Mexican restaurant by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

The week before the race in Kitzbuhel you will get 4 days no problem you will have to leave on Wednesday though

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Thanks for all the responses. Looking at Dublin to Munich and then train down to Soll? Soll seems to be a little better than St. Anton?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

As someone who needs to book these things well in advance(8 months this year) I'm probably a little too cautious. Sundays through to Thursdays do tend to be quieter once the Germans weekenders have gone home.

Thanks for all the responses. Looking at Dublin to Munich and then train down to Soll? Soll seems to be a little better than St. Anton?

Not sure on what criteria, but soll is pretty low and anton tends to get a lot more snow. But to be honest skiing is always fun if you don't take it too seriously so I think you'll be grand wherever you go.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Hi....who here wants to help a brother out!
      Never skied before....3 to 4 of us looking to go around the 9th March for 4 days or so.
      Flights to Munich looked at......
      Where and how do I proceed....
      Any useful website regarding
      Transfers/trains
      Accomadation
      Or any body recommend a sort of package website that allow you just to search for the 4 days rather than 7 days which is what I seem to always end up.
      Thanks a million in advance to replies

Advertisement