Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

andyd12 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on the snow forecast in Austria, I am going Saturday week to the Mayrhofen. 70-80 cm forecest for the next 7 days:eek:.
    Dare I say it... too much snow!!?

Id be worried if i was traveling this Sat!! Were going out Sat week as well and I think (and hope) the timing is good and the worst will have passed (hopefully :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭andyd12

Rew wrote: »
    Id be worried if i was traveling this Sat!! Were going out Sat week as well and I think (and hope) the timing is good and the worst will have passed (hopefully :eek:)
    Ye hopefully, alot of snowing after falling recently

Where are you heading?

Where are you heading?

Soll this time, we were in Mayrhofen last year, did some day trips up and down the valley there as well. Also if I never see another bottle of Grolsch in my life ill be ok :D

Soll this time, we were in Mayrhofen last year, did some day trips up and down the valley there as well. Also if I never see another bottle of Grolsch in my life ill be ok :D
    Sweet. I have been here before, just went to zillertal arena, did find it super tbh. Hope to get to the tux anyway this time! Did you ski hochfugen?
    Too long in the ice bar haha

• Advertisement

Sweet. I have been here before, just went to zillertal arena, did find it super tbh. Hope to get to the tux anyway this time! Did you ski hochfugen?
    Too long in the ice bar haha

No we did Hintertux and Hochzillertal, there is so much in the valley its incredible, found the bus and trains timetables a bit hard to navigate (mainly the bus).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'm in austria now. Its amazing. Too much snow is debateable. If you like off piste and are willing to get a guide its near spiritual. If you're having a tough time on a bumpy piste in low visibility, less so.

But i'll take the pow any day of the week!

The good thing about lots of snow is the atmosphere. Resorts are so much nicer when there's loads of snow and snowfall.

Re travel next saturday I think road to mayr will be fine I think its an artery? There's also a train if that works with flights? The main danger is innsbruck airport, there will be a lot of rerouting going on in snow from there. Munich further but you almost always be able to land.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

a148pro wrote: »
    I'm in austria now. Its amazing. Too much snow is debateable. If you like off piste and are willing to get a guide its near spiritual. If you're having a tough time on a bumpy piste in low visibility, less so.

But i'll take the pow any day of the week!

Where is this - resort or back mountain> The powder looks deep & calm!

I've 3 & a bit weeks to go before hitting the slopes. Forecast looks great!

Some12 wrote: »
    Where is this - resort or back mountain> The powder looks deep & calm!

I've 3 & a bit weeks to go before hitting the slopes. Forecast looks great!

First shot is actually a piste in zell am see, you can see the marker on the right! There's a lot of snow falling slowly all the time so less trafficked pistes get quite soft.

Other two shots are off piste in Saalbach with a guide. Its very deep but very dangerous. I wouldn't go anywhere without a guide. I think I skier in the general area died because he got stuck in deep snow. Guide not cheap but if you can afford it you get a much better experience, see the best areas, learn about the mountains and stay safe. We had fresh tracks all day in a very busy resort. Close to no one beside us.

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    First shot is actually a piste in zell am see, you can see the marker on the right! There's a lot of snow falling slowly all the time so less trafficked pistes get quite soft.

Other two shots are off piste in Saalbach with a guide. Its very deep but very dangerous. I wouldn't go anywhere without a guide. I think I skier in the general area died because he got stuck in deep snow. Guide not cheap but if you can afford it you get a much better experience, see the best areas, learn about the mountains and stay safe. We had fresh tracks all day in a very busy resort. Close to no one beside us.
    Cool. How much does a guide cost? Trying to look online but can't find anything concrete.

300 and its convention that you buy them lunch and give a tip. Not cheap but skiing ain't cheap so may as well be hung for the lamb. That's for 1 - 2 people, think its 350 for 4 people.

If you're headed saalbach direction or surrounding resorts I can pm you contact details.

I've never regretted getting a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Can you recommend the guide you used? Boarding?
    TIA

Can you recommend the guide you used? Boarding?
    TIA

Skis. But really the guide is there to show you routes and keep you safe, so shouldn't really matter what's on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Donie75 wrote: »
    We go to Mayrhofen most years and really like it. The last few years we have started doing a day in Kaltenback and Zell Am Ziller/Gerlos and it is great to cover three resorts in a few days. There's a good gang of us so we do Apres Ski there at the end of the day and get a minibus home. It's great to experience other resorts. We had great fun in Gerlos last year when we found a little log cabin/bar in the centre of town with very attractive bar barmaids and a good DJ.

Is it possible to ski down to the village at the end of the day or are the gondolas the only way off the mountain? Also, any idea if the nursery slope is located in the village or up top?

Trevor O wrote: »
    Is it possible to ski down to the village at the end of the day or are the gondolas the only way off the mountain? Also, any idea if the nursery slope is located in the village or up top?

Generally speaking its not possible (saw some off piste tracks but wouldn't fancy it TBH). There is a slope to the village on the far side to the main one. Its 2 or 3 pistes isolated from from the main area. The nursery slopes are all up top of the main gondola.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Dumping since yesterday here in Morzine.
    Delighted for anyone about to hit the French Alps as it was badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

Trevor O wrote: »
    Nursery area at top of A Horn, which also has a home run to the village which is Red as far as I remember. Main gondola in town centre goes up to the Penken and there's a small nursery up there too. No run or official route back down to the village from Penken.
    Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

Dumping since yesterday here in Morzine.
    Delighted for anyone about to hit the French Alps as it was badly needed.

Heading to Chamonix Saturday, looks like it's going to be decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Trevor O,
    No, you can’t ski home to the main town. There used to be big queues in Mayrhofen but the installed a new faster main lift up from the town for last season so there are no real queues any more.
    It works great, ski back to the top of the main lift and have a few beers in the Elk Bar and get the lift down.
    I find a lot of the home runs very narrow, badly rutted and the snow gets very grainy in the afternoon.
    Adding a day in Kaltenback and Zell Am Ziller when in Mayrhofen makes it a fantastic trip.

• Advertisement

Donie75 wrote: »
    Trevor O,
    No, you can’t ski home to the main town. There used to be big queues in Mayrhofen but the installed a new faster main lift up from the town for last season so there are no real queues any more.
    It works great, ski back to the top of the main lift and have a few beers in the Elk Bar and get the lift down.
    I find a lot of the home runs very narrow, badly rutted and the snow gets very grainy in the afternoon.
    Adding a day in Kaltenback and Zell Am Ziller when in Mayrhofen makes it a fantastic trip.
    Agreed on the home runs, always super busy and tracked at the end of the day, plus when you are tired, it doesnt help. I much prefer getting lift down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm booked nothing yet here ha, but fairly sure I'm going to go to France with the ucpa on Sunday ha, where I duno yet, ideally Val d'isere but very little fresh snow there, however looks like some useful snow in both Chamonix and Flaine (Grand massif), could do an off piste course with either for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmm booked nothing yet here ha, but fairly sure I'm going to go to France with the ucpa on Sunday ha, where I duno yet, ideally Val d'isere but very little fresh snow there, however looks like some useful snow in both Chamonix and Flaine (Grand massif), could do an off piste course with either for a chance.

I'll be in Flaine for a week from Thursday next :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What are peoples thoughts on the snow forecast in Austria, I am going Saturday week to the Mayrhofen. 70-80 cm forecest for the next 7 days:eek:.
    Dare I say it... too much snow!!?

I am going to Mayrhofen in February. Never been there before.

Any advice on ski schools or ski hire? We have only skied once before around 20 years ago. Any tips/tricks appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Going to Flaine 26th Jan, Glad it got about 10-15 cm yesterday. Don't have it all tracked out before I get there, especially Gers valley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Actually I told myself after last time ending up with a crappy rental helmet that I would buy one before I go skiing again, I'm too late to get one online now, where in Dublin would I pick one up for not mental money instore?

Actually I told myself after last time ending up with a crappy rental helmet that I would buy one before I go skiing again, I'm too late to get one online now, where in Dublin would I pick one up for not mental money instore?

Great outdoors has some on sale, they are generally expensive everywhere TBH. Snow and rock normally have a good selection and you can claim to be a member of the ski club of ire for a discount...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Try sports direct. I got a decent one there for about €40 I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

kal7 wrote: »
    Going to Flaine 26th Jan, Glad it got about 10-15 cm yesterday. Don't have it all tracked out before I get there, especially Gers valley

It seems to be due a big dump this Sunday, as well

• Advertisement

Advertisement