Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

andyd12 wrote:
    And the snorkel perhaps!!

You nearly would! I went arse over tea-kettle in the trees yesterday and ended up in a drift about a metre deep. Took me about half an hour to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Jizique

The poster who recommended Zell Am See was bang on, it's a fabulous place, although I tend to get through a fair bit of distance and I found I covered the whole place twice in 3 days when I was there before, so was looking for something a little bigger. Definitely being too picky methinks :D

Zell am See is now linked to Saalbach-Hinterglemm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Jizique wrote: »
    Zell am See is now linked to Saalbach-Hinterglemm

It seems only one way though? You can ski from Zell down in to Saalbach satellite but they haven't built the lift back yet

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭andyd12

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You nearly would! I went arse over tea-kettle in the trees yesterday and ended up in a drift about a metre deep. Took me about half an hour to get out.
    Haha alot of work for sure. We had conditions like that in St.Anton last January, almost too much snow:D

And I'm done :( Lost a ski off the chairlift on our first trip up of the morning. Lift operator said I should get it back around May *Dawson crying face*

• Advertisement

And I'm done :( Lost a ski off the chairlift on our first trip up of the morning. Lift operator said I should get it back around May *Dawson crying face*
    Rent a new set 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭prunudo

Perfect opportunity to rent another brand and try them out. Also may be worth skiing down under the lift to check. Did you get a chance to see the number of the lift pole it happened at.

andyd12 wrote:
    Rent a new set ðŸ€â€

I won't have the money to after I pay for this one!

In other news, it's absolutely bucketing snow.

jvan wrote:
    Perfect opportunity to rent another brand and try them out. Also may be worth skiing down under the lift to check. Did you get a chance to see the number of the lift pole it happened at.

It's our last day anyway.

The snow is drifting to about 2m around where it fell. Don't think there's a hope in hell of getting it. My brother is going to try and ski over to the fence then go in on foot.

I won't have the money to after I pay for this one!

In other news, it's absolutely bucketing snow.

That sucks buddy

• Advertisement

It's our last day anyway.

The snow is drifting to about 2m around where it fell. Don't think there's a hope in hell of getting it. My brother is going to try and ski over to the fence then go in on foot.

Sounds like an adventure to me :D

I'm booked to tomorrow night - any tips dial hard? Was it busy? Easy to ski side piste, many forests?

Check your travel insurance btw I'm pretty sure mine insures me for ski loss (probably theft though, not theft by powder!)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Donie75 wrote: »
    Saalbach might be worth checking out too.

Heading to Saalbach Austria for the second time. A group of four of us were there last year, great skiing, we skied hard for 6 days and covered 90% of it,without only doing a few runs twice, great town too for restaurants, bars ,sji show, etc. Bring earplugs though, they're party music is shiiiiite.

a148pro wrote:
    I'm booked to tomorrow night - any tips dial hard? Was it busy? Easy to ski side piste, many forests?

Bring goggles! It's not mad busy. Thursday was the busiest day and even then the longest wait we had for any of the lifts was about 20 minutes and that only happened once. Avoid the bar/restaurant beside the CityExpress lift like the plague, it's an overpriced kip with the rudest staff ever. Panorama at the top of the Areitbahn lift is marginally better but there's a really nice restaurant called Das Franzl in the same building, but make a reservation. Plenty of side piste forest trails. Off-piste the snow is probably too deep to ski. There's a CRAZY amount of powder.

If you want bonkers Apres Ski, the Crazy Daisy in the middle of town is like Coppers on crack.

Anyway, update on my ski: my brother and nephew went back up to try and retrieve it. He borrowed a shovel off the lift operator and tried to dig his way in for it. Got in about four feet and then hit a drift that he reckons was over seven feet high. So that's that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Macdarack wrote: »
    Heading to Saalbach Austria for the second time. A group of four of us were there last year, great skiing, we skied hard for 6 days and covered 90% of it,without only doing a few runs twice, great town too for restaurants, bars ,sji show, etc. Bring earplugs though, they're party music is shiiiiite.
    I absolutely hate all that cheesey Austrian apres music

Went to Mooserwirt in St Anton once last year to see what all the fuss was about. Left after 20 minutes. Awful.

Billy Mays wrote: »

Went to Mooserwirt in St Anton once last year to see what all the fuss was about. Left after 20 minutes. Awful.

Shocking statement! That cheesy music is what makes Austrian Apres so good.

Hey, wir wollen die Eisbären sehen (ohohohoho)

jvan wrote: »
    Shocking statement! That cheesy music is what makes Austrian Apres so good.

Hey, wir wollen die Eisbären sehen (ohohohoho)

Here you go bud enjoy https://youtu.be/31BDX4vHMhI

Haha, never heard that one before, should be used by the tour ops to promote their Austrian ski trips :D although can't really credit the Austrians as it's in Dutch.

You really have to leave your cynicism at the door of the moosewird. If it has a door? I wanted nothing to do with it but, in fairness, it is a cultural phenomena. Its past of what makes austrian skiing! (I wonder do they do similar madness on their summer holidays or do they just do it to warm up in the cold?)

a148pro wrote: »
    You really have to leave your cynicism at the door of the moosewird. If it has a door? I wanted nothing to do with it but, in fairness, it is a cultural phenomena. Its past of what makes austrian skiing! (I wonder do they do similar madness on their summer holidays or do they just do it to warm up in the cold?)
    I was willing to give it a go but it wasn't for me. Could barely move in the place and took ages to get served. It's also a sweatbox which doesn't work too well when you've base layers and a big jacket on.

In fairness I might've been more into it 15 or 20 years ago. Bit older now plus I really go hell for leather when I'm out on the board during the day so by apres time I'm usually fairly b0ll0cksed and prefer sitting down with a few pints and a chat rather than dancing on tables to the worst music imaginable pacman.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Classic! here's another one big on the circuit

https://youtu.be/CE70PHlgrlo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Could barely feckin ski around ellmau today with the amount of snow on the pistes. Shame given it's Saturday and generally very quiet. Still, awesome trip and best of luck heading to Austria in the next few weeks it's awesome

What was that Johnny Depp, song, jesus ya.
    Depp Depp Depp Depp, Johnny Depp Depp Johnny Johnny. Depp depp. My god I might see can I rebook for France maybe...

What was that Johnny Depp, song, jesus ya.
    Depp Depp Depp Depp, Johnny Depp Depp Johnny Johnny. Depp depp. My god I might see can I rebook for France maybe...

Mother of Satan.....

Mother of Satan.....

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

At least we only hear it for a week, imagine being there all season.

tenor.gif

I'm in bits, brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

jvan wrote: »
    Haha, never heard that one before, should be used by the tour ops to promote their Austrian ski trips :D although can't really credit the Austrians as it's in Dutch.

How could you possibly have not heard that.... :confused::D
    It's on spotify and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Timmaay wrote: »
    I was gonna go with the ucpa to France on the 13th Jan, but snow looking a hell of alot better in Austria at the min. Any suggestions for a solo trip to Austria?
    We are heading to Westendorf on the 12th you might fing a place in Kitzbuhel as they are setting up for the race the following week. Loads of guides and a few Irish over that week usually

• Advertisement

What are peoples thoughts on the snow forecast in Austria, I am going Saturday week to the Mayrhofen. 70-80 cm forecest for the next 7 days:eek:.
    Dare I say it... too much snow!!?

Advertisement