Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Do most people get insurance for skiing trips? Where are good places to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Do most people get insurance for skiing trips? Where are good places to get it?

We get winter sports added to our travel insurance. I don't think it covers off-piste though, unguided..
    We don't ski off piste so not a problem for us, but someone else might have more info about covering for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

Yes, Zell Am Ziller and Kaltenback are great options if you’re staying in a Mayrhofen. Lots of big wide open runs and Zell is never too busy.
    It’s also worth heading over to Eggalm one of the days. You can ski over from the Penken. It’s easy enough to ski over, do lots of runs over there and ski back if you’re an intermediate skier. It’s a lot quieter than the Penken area and there are some great runs. You take the ski route 75 down from Lammerbichl. The VogelNest restaurant at the bottom is a good spot for lunch too.
    I was starting to get a bit bored with Mayrhofen but can’t fault it when you add in a day at the other two resorts.
    Still haven’t gotten round to doing the Hintertux Glacier. Maybe this year.
    My favourite run in Mayrhofen is Red 10 or the runs over around Rastkogel.
    There’s a new run down to Mösl off Red 15 and a new lift up called the Moslbahn

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Pure Loonamus

Rew wrote: »
    In Soll, snow is good but the off piste its fairly tracked, covered about 40km today might go further afield tomorrow.

Going to Soll first week in March, would love to hear how you got on, any tips or recommendations, just myself and the wife going - my 2nd time, her first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Going to Soll first week in March, would love to hear how you got on, any tips or recommendations, just myself and the wife going - my 2nd time, her first.

Id had been before few years back but only a for a weekend, its a great town generally very reasonable for everything and tones of skiable piste.

If you aren't already get lessons, either the local ski school or Mountain Mind which is run by a really nice guy and excellent instructor (he also plays music in the bars at night - Rudi G).

Rent your gear in advance from Snow and Fun either using Skiset or the Snow and Fun Website. Using the code snowforecast-vip will get you an extra 5% off with Skiset. Also get helmets! Doesn't matter where you get your ski passes they are all the same price its often easier to get them from tour operator if you going out on a package deal.

Store your skies and boots up at the gondola in Edinger its €18 for a week each. Make sure to drop them back in the evenings by 5.30 as they close then!

The town centre is about 1km from the gondola. There are busses in the morning about ever 10 mins up to 9 then a little less frequent after that. We tended to get the bus in the morn and walk in the evening, it's really not that far either way.

The 2 best bars are the Jam Jar (Irish owned/run) and the Mill (Whiskey Mühle) mainly because they are non smoking and don't play "Johnny Depp" on repeat like the other bars but also they are good craic. Red Horse is good also. There are live bands every night of the week in most bars and the same band will preform in a diff bar each night so if you like one you can follow them around. New Spicy and Frog on the Tyne amount others are great bands to see. Moonlight bar beside the gondola is good for a pint but its very Austrian Apres style.

For food Auf da Mühle and Bella Vita are great, Bella Vita would be my favourite, staff are really nice as is the food and wine. There are lots of other options around, Dorf Stuben does very good Austrian style food as does Soller Stuben (great take away pizzas too). You can get a very good main for €12 in most places. I found the places up the mountain good for lunch with the standard generally the same in them all. There are 3 bakeries that do nice coffee and treats if you need a morning pick me up. There is also a large Spar behind Whiskey Mühle.

At your level I would say you wont get much further than the immediate Soll valley that the gondola drops you up to. Of the places ive eaten there for lunch I liked them all but the most obvious 2 can be very busy (the one straight in front of you at the top - Bergrestaurant and the one at the very top of the mountain - Gipfelrestaurant Hohe Salve). Gipfelrestaurant Hohe Salve has the views that you cant beat though. Slavenmoos and Gasthof Stöcklalm are less obvious choices.

Blacks in Soll are steep so avoid if your not confident, I saw so many people who had no business on them falling down them unable to stop them selfs till they got to the bottom. The reds tend to be wide and very approachable but you will have to find your own level. Skiing down to Itter should be doable later in the week depending on how you feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

We get winter sports added to our travel insurance. I don't think it covers off-piste though, unguided..
    We don't ski off piste so not a problem for us, but someone else might have more info about covering for that.

I always buy Irish insurance, which doesn't cover off piste, and when I get to the resort I buy the insurance they sell when you are buying your lift pass. It's only about 28 per week, and they say it covers off piste.

How do ski passes work? Can I book one before I go or do I need to wait until I arrive in Austria? Whats the rough cost?

How do ski passes work? Can I book one before I go or do I need to wait until I arrive in Austria? Whats the rough cost?

They work by putting the card near the reader which is on the left side of a gate in front of each ski lift, it will read the pass and let you through the gate.

You can sometimes buy them online and have them sent to you, if your going with a package tour operator (crystal/direct ski/top flight) you can get it off them or you can buy it from the lift pass office in a resort. Its the same price regardless and there is normally a 2 euro deposit and you can return the card at the end of the week for the 2 euro back.

Always take a photo of you pass when you get it this might help you if you lose it (but def don't lose it). Put it in the pass pocket of your jacket and don't open that pocket or go near it again (ie don't lose it!). If you don't have a pass packet pick a left side pocket, use it for the pass don't open the pocket for the rest of that holiday (ie don't lose it). You make notice a theme here - don't lose your pass, don't take it out of your pocket.

You can check the cost online, I woulds say on average they are €250-280 for 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Keep the receipt for the pass if you lose it they will cancel it and issue a new one for the days left. I think they charge 10 euro for the replacement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you are a beginner, and sorry if I have read your posts wrong.. look at points cards. It will save you a few hundred € over a 6 or 7 day pass.

I'm skiing in Austria every year in the same resort, probably for 20 years now, points cards are much cheaper unless you are doing 60km per day. I would average 6-12 km in a day as I like it to be a holiday and stop for a tipple and take in the various ski huts.

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    If you are a beginner, and sorry if I have read your posts wrong.. look at points cards. It will save you a few hundred € over a 6 or 7 day pass.

I'm skiing in Austria every year in the same resort, probably for 20 years now, points cards are much cheaper unless you are doing 60km per day. I would average 6-12 km in a day as I like it to be a holiday and stop for a tipple and take in the various ski huts.

Yes I am a beginner and I will be doing lessons for first 2 days. Will I get a points card in the same place as they sell the ski passes? Going to Mayrhofen.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

@Snow Garden, In some resorts there will be one or two free lifts specifically for first timers. Might be worth checking with your ski school what type of pass you need beforehand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can't see any points card system or beginners discount on offer in Mayrhofen online.

I would wait till I get there for sure and buy the ticket based on local recommendations - by that I mean take what the hotel says, and go to a skipass booth and see if they agree. In fairness, Austrians in general are like the Irish in they are a really friendly lot and enjoy the craic but, unlike the Irish hospitality industry, they don't tend to rip you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

You won't be able to get to the ski area in Mayrhofen without a skipass as you need it for the main gondolas from town - the Penkenbahn/Ahornbahn etc.

There's no points card though https://www.mayrhofen.at/en/winter-holiday-family/ski-pass-prices-opening-hours/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

cormee wrote: »
    I always buy Irish insurance, which doesn't cover off piste, and when I get to the resort I buy the insurance they sell when you are buying your lift pass. It's only about 28 per week, and they say it covers off piste.

I remember some discussion either here or no snow heads before - are you not covered on most policies for off piste unless you're in an area deemed unsafe by the resort?

I think there's also off piste specific insurance, think a company called dog tag or something does it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

Who deems it un safe though? If you've read the current snow charts, avalanche bulletuns, skiing/boarding on a slope less than 30°, have your shovel, probe and transceiver you could say you're doing everything right.
    To an underwriter in a nice warm office in a city far away they could deem a level 3 warning as being unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

By the way, if you have an annual Health Insurance policy with the Travel insurance add-on it usually doesn't cover Winter Sports. I have Health Insurance with Irish Life Health and I selected an option to include Travel Insurance. If I want to add ski cover it only costs €7.35 for 5 days but I had to call Aviva to add it to my policy.

a148pro wrote: »
    I remember some discussion either here or no snow heads before - are you not covered on most policies for off piste unless you're in an area deemed unsafe by the resort?

I think there's also off piste specific insurance, think a company called dog tag or something does it

It was here i think, he-who-shall-not-be-named was a major part of the discussion. The problem is, no European resorts deem anywhere off piste safe, according to the above gentleman, he said:

"No ski resort in Europe will offer an opinion in anything outside of their piste markers it is automatically deemed UNSAFE and AT YOUR OWN RISK, once you leave the piste markers in all European resorts. Resort management have no responsibility or do they ever deem areas unsafe, THERE IS A PERMANENT ASSUMPTION THEY ARE UNSAFE . Next time you are at a lift office find the sign with T&C's you will see it in black and white. Or black and yellow. What multi trip sell is a product that covers Itinerary runs in European resorts and In bounds controlled terrain that is not groomed in N.America, or off piste with a guide. "

So while the insurance agency may say they offer off piste insurance under certain conditions, those conditions are not possible in any European resort.

It was multitrip.com offering the off-piste cover, I complained to the insurance ombudsman, explaining the above, and multitrip seem to have dropped any mention of off-piste from their site, since then. I'd like to think I played a part in that ;)

Cheers re. Dog Tag, I'll look into them, I'm spending more and more time off piste, so a company that specifically offers insurance for it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

^^^^^
    Typical of the insurance industry, claim to offer a service and charge for it, yet if push came to shove they could easily renage on a payout.

My memory of all this is you're not covered unless you're a qualified instructor or under the guidance of one. The deemed safe bit comes down to the instructor deeming it safe or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

This is how Multitrip.com word it -

"Multitrip.com Ireland provides cover for a wide range of winter sports, including skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, snow sledging and off-piste skiing except in areas designated as unsafe by local resort management unless accompanied by a locally qualified guide"

https://www.multitrip.com/ie/ski-insurance

Getting a quote from Multitrip for 30 quid (single trip). Includes winter sports and travel disruption. Zero excess. Seems very good.

40 quid for a multitrip option.

If you have a Revolut card you can get insurance instantly, as soon as your phone senses you're in the airport, very cheap too, and no forms to fill out.

This is how Multitrip.com word it -

"Multitrip.com Ireland provides cover for a wide range of winter sports, including skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, snow sledging and off-piste skiing except in areas designated as unsafe by local resort management unless accompanied by a locally qualified guide"

https://www.multitrip.com/ie/ski-insurance

So my angry email to the insurance ombudsman was wasted :mad::mad:

I'd say fattes was right. Mind you, on the above wording and it being a consumer contract I'm not sure they'd get away with it. Most ordinary consumers reading that would think they were covered off piste, unless the resort had (specifically) designated it unsafe. If in reality the resort rates any area outside of the pistes to be unsafe its a bit of a con.

Fair enough, there are ski routes which might come between those definitions, but I don't think anyone really regards that as off piste do they? And you will occasionally see signs off piste specifically warning you that a particular area is dangerous.

Hopefully we'll never need to know.

a148pro wrote: »
    I'd say fattes was right. Mind you, on the above wording and it being a consumer contract I'm not sure they'd get away with it. Most ordinary consumers reading that would think they were covered off piste, unless the resort had (specifically) designated it unsafe. If in reality the resort rates any area outside of the pistes to be unsafe its a bit of a con.

Fair enough, there are ski routes which might come between those definitions, but I don't think anyone really regards that as off piste do they? And you will occasionally see signs off piste specifically warning you that a particular area is dangerous.

Hopefully we'll never need to know.

Yes, they're playing clever clogs with people's lives/welfare there. I'd been nipping off piste for years, thinking I was fully covered, before he clarified it. That's why I get the local insurance now, in the hope that one of the two policies cover me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

In mayrhofen now, any recommendations for good snowboard schools?

Half of us are experienced but we've some newbies who are first timers!

Shin deep above cruagh yesterday. Heard even deeper near maulin

Definitely skiable. Have been meaning to pick up some old expendable skis with touring bindings.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭BarryNumber1

cormee wrote: »
    Yes, they're playing clever clogs with people's lives/welfare there. I'd been nipping off piste for years, thinking I was fully covered, before he clarified it. That's why I get the local insurance now, in the hope that one of the two policies cover me.

Just back from a few days in Austria (Alpbach) and took coverage for €16, took a few "nips" off piste myself and better to be safe than sorry. Now if I only had coverage for the return shuttle asshat who baled on us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

Places to stay in Austria

Looking at going to austria March 8th to 12th. Having trouble finding accommodation for 8 people as it's a Friday to a Tuesday. Anyone got a recommendation mayrhofen or soelden preferably. But will consider anything.

Thanks

Mick

Advertisement