Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

I am going to Mayrhofen in February. Never been there before.

Any advice on ski schools or ski hire? We have only skied once before around 20 years ago. Any tips/tricks appreciated.

We used Ski 3000 Mayrhofen for rental and ski school last year. Easy to deal with and great instructor. We were advanced ski school and only had 6 in our class on some of the days. Covered alot of ground every day. They are on the main street near the Penken gondola and price included ski storage at the top of you wanted it.
    Have a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭andyd12

blue note wrote: »
    Try sports direct. I got a decent one there for about €40 I think it was.
    Second that. I seen them for sale in Sligo store last week.
    You could buy over there also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Heading to Westendorf (as usual) on the 19th. Must say I'm beginning to get a little concerned now. Looks like the lifts have been closed the last couple of days. Hope it calms down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

trashcan wrote: »
    Heading to Westendorf (as usual) on the 19th. Must say I'm beginning to get a little concerned now. Looks like the lifts have been closed the last couple of days. Hope it calms down soon.

Will calm down soon don't worry - you should be happy at prospect of deep snow so low down - any pics I've seen of westendorf with snow look lovely, real chocolate box stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

3 dead and 1 missing following an avalanche in Lech yesterday

All had safety equipment and abs backpacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

Beautiful conditions in chamonix, arrived yesterday did the walk around stuff, woke up this morning to find a huge amount of snow fell overnight and still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm heading for Chamonix also at the min, only decided yesterday ha, the 2 or 3ft of snow forecast was too tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm heading for Chamonix also at the min, only decided yesterday ha, the 2 or 3ft of snow forecast was too tempting.

Hahaha, good choice. Still falling heavy here, think tomorrow too then blue skies for a few days so should be good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Just back from Arc 1950 on Saturday.
    Really excellent ski conditions there last week. 2 days of sun and blue skies, 2 days of mixed snowing/whiteout/sun, then 2 days of sun and blue skies again. Snowing nearly every night as well, which really helped during the day. Presumably getting bits of the heavier snowfalls in Austria etc..

Always depressing as hell returning to grey Irish skies after beautiful ski weather :(

Only 7 weeks til Spring Ski in Italy though, so not too depressed :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Avalanche warning gone to 5 in some places and more fatalities in Austria...

https://www.planetski.eu/news/11240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Outdoor pool when it's snowing is the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

Rew wrote:
    Avalanche warning gone to 5 in some places and more fatalities in Austria...

I'm not surprised, here in soll at the min and it's been snowing the 3 days we have been here. Must be making a foot of snow min a day in the village never mind up the mountain. Skiing conditions are poor visibility wise but the snow is amazing. We have a guide for the week and he was saying yesterday that this is the best year for snow since 1999. Lot of lifts were closed yesterday due to high winds also so fingers crossed from today the weather will settle and it will open the place up for some good days skiing

I'm not surprised, here in soll at the min and it's been snowing the 3 days we have been here. Must be making a foot of snow min a day in the village never mind up the mountain. Skiing conditions are poor visibility wise but the snow is amazing. We have a guide for the week and he was saying yesterday that this is the best year for snow since 1999. Lot of lifts were closed yesterday due to high winds also so fingers crossed from today the weather will settle and it will open the place up for some good days skiing

We're heading out there Saturday for the week. How much is the guide for the week, whats he doing with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm booked for zell am see. Same place I went to last year. We're flying from Belfast and it's such good value. Flights, bags, train, accommodation all coming in just under €350!

Absolutely can't wait now. Going in a fortnight. Didn't think I'd get away this year.

blue note wrote: »
    I'm booked for zell am see. Same place I went to last year. We're flying from Belfast and it's such good value. Flights, bags, train, accommodation all coming in just under €350!

Absolutely can't wait now. Going in a fortnight. Didn't think I'd get away this year.

Easyjet I assume? We used them the last 2 years, cheap but always late!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Rew wrote: »
    Easyjet I assume? We used them the last 2 years, cheap but always late!

Oh right. Yes, Easyjet. I was thinking we'd struggle to make one train. I guess we can forget about that one so. The second is an hour later so they can be a little late for that.

wing52 wrote: »
    Outdoor pool when it's snowing is the business!

Particularly when you throw in some nice lighting. I actually think best bit from my last trip was floating on my back watching the flakes falling from space, no-one else in the pool, and, specifically, none of my kids pulling at me for sh*te. Just lying there thinking about the great days skiing and nice dinner to come. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

a148pro wrote: »
    Particularly when you throw in some nice lighting. I actually think best bit from my last trip was floating on my back watching the flakes falling from space, no-one else in the pool, and, specifically, none of my kids pulling at me for sh*te. Just lying there thinking about the great days skiing and nice dinner to come. Bliss.

The magic of a snow holiday summed up in one post.

Am currently in Bad Hofgastein.
    Sunday/Monday were tough going, constantly snowing and top half of mountain closed so limited runs.
    Never seen wind as strong in resort level as it was last night. This morning instructor said it was 100km at the top of the Stubnerokogel, in morning not last night.
    By 13:00 it had cleared up massively and had sunshine so made for perfect afternoon skiing. The Schlossalm side was pretty much fully open.
    Rest of the week looks to be good enough. (Fingers crossed)
    Also heard there’s around 800 coming with the Today fm trip, with around 600 signed up for ski school. That’s going to be one interesting Sunday morning (wow)... the conditions should be awesome.
    Attached is snow that fell each night, two nights running in Angertal, and this is on a restaurant balcony. And the 4 seater from there. (I must get a few better pics)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

Am currently in Bad Hofgastein.
    Sunday/Monday were tough going, constantly snowing and top half of mountain closed so limited runs.
    Never seen wind as strong in resort level as it was last night. This morning instructor said it was 100km at the top of the Stubnerokogel, in morning not last night.
    By 13:00 it had cleared up massively and had sunshine so made for perfect afternoon skiing. The Schlossalm side was pretty much fully open.
    Rest of the week looks to be good enough. (Fingers crossed)
    Also heard there’s around 800 coming with the Today fm trip, with around 600 signed up for ski school. That’s going to be one interesting Sunday morning (wow)... the conditions should be awesome.
    Attached is snow that fell each night, two nights running in Angertal, and this is on a restaurant balcony. And the 4 seater from there. (I must get a few better pics)

Serious wind. We're heading to Mayrhofen on the 26th and the snow looks super.
    Thinking of Gastein Valley for the March trip. Looks great at the minute.
    Todayfm trip not arriving until Saturday 26. It will be a big gang for sure. I was in Kirchberg last year the day they arrived and you certainly wouldn't miss them 😂

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Would you recommend buying a helmet/goggles in Ireland or hiring one in Austria? I have not skied in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Would you recommend buying a helmet/goggles in Ireland or hiring one in Austria? I have not skied in 20 years.

If you can find them in Aldi or Lidl, you'll get them at a great price and they're decent quality. If you get them in Austria, you'll pay.

However, if you're flying into a non-ski airport (Like Munich), and have time, you can get some reasonable prices in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

Rew wrote:
    We're heading out there Saturday for the week. How much is the guide for the week, whats he doing with you?

1200 for the week. It was a bit of a waste with the way the resort was as we were stuck in soll with only the bottom half of the MTN open. Id say if you can ski, and you want to cover good ground, not have to be worried about what or where is open or what's suitable off piest then it's def worth it if there is a few of you. This afternoon alone we did serious skiing and the top station gondola was only open from 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you think you're going to be skiing again, buy one in Decathlon or something. Otherwise rent I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

olaola wrote: »
    If you think you're going to be skiing again, buy one in Decathlon or something. Otherwise rent I'd say!

I've used a Lidl one for years, it's perfectly fine and meets all the standards, otherwise you can but online at www.decathlon.ie One thing I would suggest is get one with the vents you can open/close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Skyfloater wrote: »
    I've used a Lidl one for years, it's perfectly fine and meets all the standards, otherwise you can but online at www.decathlon.ie One thing I would suggest is get one with the vents you can open/close.

Would you mind giving me a specific link to one you would recommend? I really haven't a clue what I need.

This one ok?
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/g-tmax-400-all-weather-ski-and-snowboard-goggles-p-en-s148843.html#feature

It mentions a vent.

Aldi doing a ski sale in 4 days but no helmet in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Would you mind giving me a specific link to one you would recommend? I really haven't a clue what I need.

This one ok?
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/g-tmax-400-all-weather-ski-and-snowboard-goggles-p-en-s148843.html#feature

It mentions a vent.

Aldi doing a ski sale in 4 days but no helmet in it.

Decathlon ones are all grand in my experience - when are you away? (it's gonna be cold in Austria for the foreseeable future)

jvan wrote: »
    The magic of a snow holiday summed up in one post.

The magic of a few days away from the kids more like, with a bit of skiing and wellness thrown in as a sideshow; )

Anywho, who is where and how is it?

Gastein, chamonix timaay? I admire anyone similarly willing to drop everything for the powder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

The H-PST 900 ADULT SKI HELMET from decathlon has adjustable vents, but is coming in at €60. The H300 ADULT SKI AND SNOWBOARD HELMET is only €30.
    By way of comparison, a big name brand helmet goes from €90 up to 200, and will not have any higher safety spec than those above.

Advertisement