Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish" tourists dump rubbish on NZ beach, threaten locals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Can we just set up a megathread for people to moan about travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Culture boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Just a case of different "cultures" I think. Unfortunately recognised Irish ethnicity.....we can really get a bad name across the globe because of a small section of society.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/australasia/ill-knock-your-brains-out-group-of-irish-tourists-dump-rubbish-on-beach-and-threaten-locals-new-zealander-claims-37708654.html

What small section of society? The beaches here in Ireland are left in an appalling state during the summer months. Dirty lazy fckers won't put their own rubbish in a bin or bring it home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

New Zealand! Australia!

Do not let these scum in.

Where are their jobs?! Where are they planning on staying?

All the border patrol questions.

Nobody in Ireland will blame you.

(funny how gypsies call themselves Irish, almost as if the whole race thing was a farce)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm assuming by your use of quotes to refer to travellers as "Irish" OP, that you recognise their separate ethnicity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Maybe you should write to the Independent and complain about them reporting such news.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Just a case of different "cultures" I think. Unfortunately recognised Irish ethnicity.....we can really get a bad name across the globe because of a small section of society.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/australasia/ill-knock-your-brains-out-group-of-irish-tourists-dump-rubbish-on-beach-and-threaten-locals-new-zealander-claims-37708654.html

I hear the travellers in New Zealand have a rugby team - the All Knacks

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You got to respect the set of stones on that youngfella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Ah ffs. How did that shower make it to all the way over there. It's difficult to get in with criminal convictions. Good job the police there don't fck around. Or their own ethnic minorities. Hopefully they get several shades knocked out of them then booted out. NZ is a beautiful country with decent people. They don't deserve to have our scum polluting the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Since they have their own ethnicity now i wouldnt be surprised if countries start rejecting travel visas because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just done a beach cleanup on saturday in the northwest. 15 bags of rubbish. Not just a certain culture that won't take it home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,211 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

seamus wrote: »
    I'm assuming by your use of quotes to refer to travellers as "Irish" OP, that you recognise their separate ethnicity?

Which is it? If travellers have a separate culture and ethnicity, is not possible to point to general traits of that cultrue/ethnicity that people don't like.

In the same way, we point to aspects of African culture (FGM), Islamic culture (treatment of women), and Catholic culture (no women priests, anti-abortion) that we also don't like.

The problem is that those who defend traveller culture and don't tolerate any criticism are often first in line to criticise the Catholic tradition, or FGM. Sauce for the goose and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

seamus wrote: »

The Irish independent made reference to "Irish tourists" in quotes so merely replicating.

I don't give a monkeys about whether ethnicity is recognised or not. Just care about the impact that people have on society, what they contribute to society, and how people outside of Ireland view our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

Fair play to him standing up for his uncle. We need more of that these days.

biko wrote: »
    Maybe you should write to the Independent and complain about them reporting such news.. :D

Letters in the post as we speak :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Tut, tut, those backward Kiwis obviously haven't been educated in the ways of culture like we have. Give them a few months of this and they'll know better than to complain about ethnic groups engaging in their ancient cultural practices.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Which is it? If travellers have a separate culture and ethnicity, is not possible to point to general traits of that cultrue/ethnicity that people don't like.

In the same way, we point to aspects of African culture (FGM), Islamic culture (treatment of women), and Catholic culture (no women priests, anti-abortion) that we also don't like.

The problem is that those who defend traveller culture and don't tolerate any criticism are often first in line to criticise the Catholic tradition, or FGM. Sauce for the goose and all that.

Yeah that's all well and good, but every time one of these lads farts a thread is set up.

Just set up a megathread of traveller hatred (or a halting site if you will) so this ****e is not clogging up the main page.

Just done a beach cleanup on saturday in the northwest. 15 bags of rubbish. Not just a certain culture that won't take it home with them.

I think it's the aggressive nature of the response to the locals and the threats that makes this a story.

Totally agree we as a country are far from perfect in our attitude to keeping the country clean. Having lived in New Zealand for 6 years, I know how proud they are of their environment and their attitude against littering is far superior, no doubt triggering the argument that followed with the "Irish tourists"

Fair play for the beach clean up by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The Irish independent made reference to "Irish tourists" in quotes so merely replicating.

I don't give a monkeys about whether ethnicity is recognised or not. Just care about the impact that people have on society, what they contribute to society, and how people outside of Ireland view our society.

The real parasites are the bankers and politicians.

The real parasites are the bankers and politicians.

Can't argue with that but that's a whole different topic/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,211 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yeah that's all well and good, but every time one of these lads farts a thread is set up.

Just set up a megathread of traveller hatred (or a halting site if you will) so this ****e is not clogging up the main page.

When bashing the Catholic Church was the favourite pasttime of boards, there was a different thread every day on each scandal.

There are several threads on alcohol issues. And on kidnapped Saudi princesses.

Why should travellers be treated any differently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

How on earth do they get into Australia and New Zealand.

Not that I am complaining, I wish all our ethnic brethren would move to the Australian outback and just have their slash hooks fights there.

Could we ask for a policy of deportation, Australia is huge, you could plonk them somewhere with no one else for miles around.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sound "English" to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The most offensive thing about that video is the clothes they are wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Moonjet wrote: »
    Fair play to him standing up for his uncle. We need more of that these days.

Yes, not fair trying to challenge a lad who is clearly in the latter stages of pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Introduce them to some of the Maori from Rotorua.
    They'd put some manners on them quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Ethnicities aside for a moment, that's a reaction that I've had a few times in Ireland and also in England when someone's been called out on antisocial behaviour.

As an example, when I was a child in Dublin - I'd say I was about 7 and this woman lit a cigarette on the bus and was blowing smoke all over me. I told her to stop and she pretty much verbally attacked me hurling foul language and making violent threats. She wasn't a member of any particular ethnic group but it's stuck out in my memory for the rest of my life.

I also remember being in France and sitting on a riverside beach and these early rough English teens/early 20s types just abandoned all their bottles and rubbish on the ground. One of my French relatives walked up to them and asked them to take them away and they started shouting at him and walking away. He kept at them asking to clean them up and they just started threatening violence.

Luckily, it was a small town and a couple sitting on the beach at the same time were both local police officers, so they took notes and walked up and asked question. The family in question got a visit from the police later that day and ended up in court for causing pollution of a river.

I'm not saying France doesn't have the same problem. They've a huge issue with being unable to challenge antisocial behaviour too - although the police are a lot less polite about it than the Gardai or the UK forces.

There's a *big* problem in Ireland and in the UK where if you challenge someone doing something like that you risk being at the very least verbally abused. So, the result is that nobody does and a lot of horrible antisocial behaviour goes totally unchallenged as basically we're afraid say boo.

I mean, how many of us would walk up to someone in central Dublin or Cork who threw litter on the ground and say : pick that up please?
    You know you'd be quite likely to get torn apart if you did. So we don't.

Try dropping litter like that in say Germany or The Netherlands and you'll get a lecturing.

It is cultural and it's a lot broader than one ethnic group. These islands have a whole world of Little Britain (TV series)'s Vicky Pollards. It's in the "what you lookin' ah!!!" style stuff in the cities here, it's in football hooliganism in England and so on.

I mean if you drive along the roads here in winter, the amount of garbage on the edge margins and in hedges is a national disgrace. It becomes really visible when the vegetation is less leafy. Why does anyone throw a take away out their window?! It's absolutely disgusting and shows no respect, pride or anything else for the country which is generally really pretty and pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I presume slash hooks must be in short supply in NZ, or that lady doing the filming would have been introduced to another cultural practise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The BEST I've ever seen was in Dublin:

Bunch of rough looking lads in a car going towards the East Link bridge towards Ringsend. They threw a load of rubbish out the window - McDonalds bags and whatever.

There was a bridge lift so they got stuck.

A lady walking her dog had picked up the rubbish. She walked up to the car, told them they were ****** ****** and threw the whole lot straight into their open sun roof.

Also the dog was quite large and aggressive when they gave her abuse it went for them lol On a lead, but they backed down quite rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Gravelly wrote: »
    Tut, tut, those backward Kiwis obviously haven't been educated in the ways of culture like we have. Give them a few months of this and they'll know better than to complain about ethnic groups engaging in their ancient cultural practices.

indeed. do those ignorant Kiwis not appreciate the extent to which our ethnic minority are enriching their lives?
    if only they were intelligent enough to embrace such cultural enrichment, they might be lucky enough to enjoy some bare knuckle fighting, the regular "bating" of the missus festival, inbreeding, conning and intimidating the elderly, funereal fracas and of course the all important 3 day wedding extravaganzas.

those idiotic antipodean fools dont know what they're missing!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/heavy-garda-presence-at-traveller-funeral-in-longford-town-37709403.html

Advertisement