Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

^ ahh, brings back memories of a yellow Viva my Dad had in the early/mid 70s :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

From a distance Fiat 126 (Polish reg?)
    Near Thurles railway station

thanks, for giving me a crick in my neck :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I picked up a little something today..

45469682252_98aba0f1df_c.jpg

I've been dailying this little thing for the last little while and its been great. Haven't had to go near a petrol station :cool:

Unfortunately some scumbags interfered with it today and wrecked the boot lock and window rubbers :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I've been dailying this little thing for the last little while and its been great. Haven't had to go near a petrol station :cool:

Unfortunately some scumbags interfered with it today and wrecked the boot lock and window rubbers :(

This is why we as a society can't have nice things!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Super-Valu car park Tuam. The Pajero took off before I could take a decent snap & the Carina nearly :rolleyes:

GWdp0qkh.jpg

5N2NUYuh.jpg

4nxtVH6h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Spotted in Dublin this morning. Looked really nice.

Sorry for the poor photo. That was from my phone cradle.

IMG-20181222-150946.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam
    1FlBYQT.jpg

qooI1DR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

IMG-20181228-153749.jpg

Dalkey. Looking fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just another little Toyota working away as a farmers transport.
    Arva, Co. Cavan

fkzf5fn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,399 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

gammygils wrote: »
    Super-Valu car park Tuam. The Pajero took off before I could take a decent snap & the Carina nearly :rolleyes:

MMMM that's a lovely carina, great colour and the right (2.0 non turbo) engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Not a car... Not on the road.. but old. Ford Thames 300E (I think) spotted in Tuam last night

g1nuYGIh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Main St, Bailieborough Co Cavan on the 31st Dec.

469308.jpg

That's Eugene Markey's.
    He has some very fine Fords, including another Model A that was a Sheriffs car from Tallahassee .

PS, if you Google his name, there is a YouTube video online showing his extensive collection of all things motoring.

Rare classic Discovery Td5. .....

E0q3C26.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,399 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's a rare sight indeed. Didnt know we had conquered time travel yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

On Monday, in Portugal:
    469409.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

galwaytt wrote: »
    On Monday, in Portugal:
    469409.png

Looks in great original condition - it's amazing the difference a dry warm climate makes.

The galway plaza
    IoaGbNa.jpg

UX63HpB.jpg

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's a rare sight indeed. Didnt know we had conquered time travel yet!

Turns out its for sale, so rang him for the craic.

Tells me he had a 1975 Range Rover that he got a fully galvanised replacement chassis for, and had a garage put it under the Disco shell.

Claims that the bill for that little lot was 6500 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

some photos from the last few weeks, north wicklow/south dublin

• Advertisement

Daysul Jetta.
    Tow-bar.
    Will be washed for the test.
    Cavan :D

bPPaCo8.jpg

A double whammy in Clarehall today

45923886834_f715ba4957_c.jpg

46648609011_b7e54f4167_c.jpg

Galway
    sTBR1Pp.jpg

PPThqd5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

tc20 wrote: »
    couple of spots around Bray today

I had often wondered if i would ever see my car on this thread and then i saw it a while back a couple of times.
    It's a 1.3 Toyota Cynos Juno, el52 engine and it's a 4 speed manual.
    It's my first and only car, i was 30 when i had bought it in October 2007.

I said it be fine for a year or two but it ran and still does run so smooth, well for me anyway as i never really drove any others to know much difference.
    I got the timing belt done at 121000km and clutch done around 2013.
    I never got any pre-NCT tests done, i just let it go through and see what happened.
    Twice i had to get a re-test which was for lights alignment and driver side shock.
    It passed the NCT again in November.

Looking at some NCT certs, when i bought it in 2007 there was with 78574 km on the clock, in 2011 there was 98577 km,
    in 2015 there was 126559 km on the clock and now it's at 140965 km so it really
    only ever has been a runaround. There are some bad scuff marks on it and work that needs to be done to make it look good that i never got around to because i had kept telling myself to change it soon but i just couldn't as it drives like a dream! Of course, most would think ' i wouldn't be caught dead in that' :D

Anyway i had just wanted to put some context on one of the cars that has been posted on the thread. I doubt there be many left of them on the road at the moment.
    As usual i have left everything to the last minute when knowing quite well the last while i was gonna be changing car this time around to something more comfortable as a carer for someone close but that's another story on what to get next.

I would of kept it till the end of the NCT this year but have to change it.

So i will probably get this crowd: https://www.cartakeback.ie/ to take it away but just seems a shame as it runs so good. Any other options what to do with it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

derra wrote: »
    I had often wondered if i would ever see my car on this thread and then i saw it a while back a couple of times.

I said it be fine for a year or two but it ran and still does run so smooth, well for me anyway as i never really drove any others to know much difference.
    I never got any pre-NCT tests done, i just let it go through and see what happened.
    Twice i had to get a re-test which was for lights alignment and driver side shock.

Looking at some NCT certs, when i bought it in 2007 there was with 78574 km on the clock, in 2011 there was 98577 km,
    only ever has been a runaround. There are some bad scuff marks on it and work that needs to be done to make it look good that i never got around to because i had kept telling myself to change it soon but i just couldn't as it drives like a dream! Of course, most would think ' i wouldn't be caught dead in that' :D

Anyway i had just wanted to put some context on one of the cars that has been posted on the thread. I doubt there be many left of them on the road at the moment.
    As usual i have left everything to the last minute when knowing quite well the last while i was gonna be changing car this time around to something more comfortable as a carer for someone close but that's another story on what to get next.

So i will probably get this crowd: https://www.cartakeback.ie/ to take it away but just seems a shame as it runs so good. Any other options what to do with it?!

Why not sell it or give it to someone who would like to have it?

It'd be a real shame to scrap it, they're lovely little cars. I had this one a few years ago for a little while and really liked it.

46599693132_5360abedd2_c.jpg

Did you get a quote from that cartakeback crowd? They'll only give a pittance for it. If you're prepared to put up with the dregs of DoneDeal, you could put it up cheap for a quick sale and certainly get more than what a recycling company will offer you.

I'm kind of full up at the minute with cars, but what do you have to get for it? (if you don't mind me asking)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

what do you have to get for it? (if you don't mind me asking)

That's exactly what I was thinking.
    I am sure my son wouldn't mind having something like this in his garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

vectra wrote: »

tc20 wrote: »
    couple of spots around Bray today

One of the cars I've driven into the ground was spotted by a young man who was into demolition derbys or some such off-road thing.  He made some very modest offer I can't remember - worth it to me because I didn't have to do anything!  (He came back with his mates and towed it away).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

vectra wrote: »

What price would ya put on it?

It'd be a real shame to scrap it, they're lovely little cars. I had this one a few years ago for a little while and really liked it. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/post_thanks.php?do=post_thanks_add&p=109061199&securitytoken=1546897973-90989ba3b4279984c2d8fbdf3c3809e551b44c98

46599693132_5360abedd2_c.jpg

Did you get a quote from that cartakeback crowd? They'll only give a pittance for it. If you're prepared to put up with the dregs of DoneDeal, you could put it up cheap for a quick sale and certainly get more than what a recycling company will offer you.

I'm kind of full up at the minute with cars, but what do you have to get for it? (if you don't mind me asking)

Lovely car to drive and wish i had my mine in top condition like that but insurance is crazy on it now and Axa are the only ones that would quote me.

They offered something like €50, then a few days later they offered €64.

At this stage now, it would need 4 new tyres. A bit of life in them but i would get 4 new ones if i was to keep it.
    Bodywork needs attention , bad scuffs on bumper , some paint peeling on bonnet, bit of rust showing on the body over a tyre, aerial snapped off long time ago, door handle is cracked, boot opens from inside as the badge is glued onto the boot door after that broke off so it be a labour of love.

It drives fine so anything else that would need to be done is not something i know about. It never broke down once on me since i had it. Never any leaks.
    Fogmatic wrote: »
    One of the cars I've driven into the ground was spotted by a young man who was into demolition derbys or some such off-road thing.  He made some very modest offer I can't remember - worth it to me because I didn't have to do anything!  (He came back with his mates and towed it away).

I'd probably be in tears watching it getting smashed up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I'd probably be in tears watching it getting smashed up :D

With minimal maintenance it'd surely last another while.

You certainly couldn't let it go to them cash for cars cowboys. Especially after 10+ years of faithful service and a current test.

I'd near buy it myself. Make sure you drop me a pm if you're hellbent on getting rid.

Advertisement