Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

nice motor. More than 10 years older than me and still in better nik

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

RMAOK wrote: »
    That car could pass for something in the mid 90's, or even more recent, given how good a Condition it's in.

Loving the lac of passenger side mirror to boot.

RMAOK wrote: »
    That car could pass for something in the mid 90's, or even more recent, given how good a Condition it's in.

Loving the lack of passenger side mirror to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Loving the lack of passenger side mirror to boot.

I'm slightly embarrassed I didn't notice that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

91 LS Volkswagen Golf. Looked in good nick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Offaly nice Starlet in Cavan town today.

20avk8s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nekarsulm - when you next see the owners of that Starlet, tell them they need to go to their local tax office and change the taxation class to vintage. They'll save themselves a measly €150 on road tax each year, but they'll only need an NCT every two years!

You're such a car stalker.

You're such a car stalker.

It’s an injustice that owners aren’t notified about it. You can bet your bottom dollar though that if it was the other way around, and the owner owed more in tax, they’d know about it immediately!

Just doing what’s right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nekarsulm - when you next see the owners of that Starlet, tell them they need to go to their local tax office and change the taxation class to vintage. They'll save themselves a measly €150 on road tax each year, but they'll only need an NCT every two years!

A measly €150 You call it?
    You don't know us Cavan people very well..... :D
    We don't mind wasting it, but it kills us to lose it....!

Of course, he could be a blow-in...... :D

• Advertisement

Anyway, heres my 97 Corolla parked next to its booted and slightly younger cousin this evening in Clarehall. Its usually me who seeks out photo opportunities like this, but on this occasion the saloon found me. Just as I was pulling away too the owner of the other car appeared and we shared a mutually appreciative thumbs with one another :D

45887718575_a69d389dc4_c.jpg

A few other insignificant spots from over the Christmas:

32891847908_3e483cb3c6_c.jpg

46714568682_3bbe36b662_c.jpg

46767491401_d08ce87a05_c.jpg

39802127083_7b4ef37a21_c.jpg

Anyway, heres my 97 Corolla parked next to its booted and slightly younger cousin this evening in Clarehall. Its usually me who seeks out photo opportunities like this, but on this occasion the saloon found me. Just as I was pulling away too the owner of the other car appeared and we shared a mutually appreciative thumbs with one another :D

45887718575_a69d389dc4_c.jpg

Look at you with your 97 bug eye!

As I have mentioned before I have a 97 of the previous vintage. Has been laid up in the drive since October 2016 when it refused to turn over. Anyway, have been mulling what to do with it since but just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it for some reason.

Anyway decided that I'd give it a service and new tyres and NCT anyway just to see if it was redeemable.

Needless to say I was pretty shocked to see it start up with little problem when I switched in a different battery.

So that answers that question re keeping it.

Pics will be forthcoming once the dancer is on the road next week. :)

Great news, get up pics when you can. Do you have it booked in for a test yet? The last Corolla I brought up to an NCT was my 98 estate about two years ago. It wasn't the best example, definitely had been worked hard under previous owners and me to an extent too (I used it to tow my Lancia Y10 on a double axle trailer from Wexford to north Dub the month before..) but to my amazement it sailed through. Sensing my surprise the tester told me "sure its a Toyota" :D A very Irish moment.

But yeah 97 was the cross over year for the e10 and e11. I don't know when the e11 was introduced exactly but mine was registered 05/06/97. The last owner had it from May 1999 to November 2019. It was on exactly 120,100 miles this morning and is still running very well, but a bit rich in the last few days. I need to find time to have a look at it. I find myself driving my 1990 Alto most days, but its always nice to get into the Corolla. They're like chalk and cheese in comparison..I think that says enough about the Alto!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A really clean looking Mk1 Fiesta near Birr. xxxx IR reg.

This is the best I could do from the dashcam - doesn't do it justice.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Clonshaugh yesterday
    471083.png
    850.png

Great news, get up pics when you can. Do you have it booked in for a test yet? The last Corolla I brought up to an NCT was my 98 estate about two years ago. It wasn't the best example, definitely had been worked hard under previous owners and me to an extent too (I used it to tow my Lancia Y10 on a double axle trailer from Wexford to north Dub the month before..) but to my amazement it sailed through. Sensing my surprise the tester told me "sure its a Toyota" :D A very Irish moment.

But yeah 97 was the cross over year for the e10 and e11. I don't know when the e11 was introduced exactly but mine was registered 05/06/97. The last owner had it from May 1999 to November 2019. It was on exactly 120,100 miles this morning and is still running very well, but a bit rich in the last few days. I need to find time to have a look at it. I find myself driving my 1990 Alto most days, but its always nice to get into the Corolla. They're like chalk and cheese in comparison..I think that says enough about the Alto!

Yeah. Test booked in Fonthill for February 6.

Never an issue testing this thing with or without service with the 2 I put it through. Well technically it failed both...forgot to take the hubcaps off the first one and the battery clamp wasn't tightened on second one. I laughed at your man.

2 visuals and boom. Back on the road.

Incidentally looking at your reg mine is 38381 so definitely not long before yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Top Dog wrote: »
    Kanturk this evening (and before anyone says it - I was pulled over)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=467026&stc=1&d=1543352044
    Ciano35 wrote: »
    Been meaning to get a picture of this for a while, it’s parked at the Toyota dealer every time I pass.

Finally got it!

IMG-8062.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A piece of Irish motorsport history there.

Paddy O'Callaghan's VW 1302 as it competed in the 1971 Gallaher Circuit of Ireland Rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

a couple of Pugs recently seen around north Wicklow..

a google provided me with a way of checking Spanish reg plates (the older format), so although the 306 isn't all that old, I figured that seeing as I went to the trouble of finding out, sure I might as well throw it in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

One for Duke, (think he likes the Panda) not the oldest car....but parked up for a while I think, grass is growing up around it.

[![Panda.jpg](https://i.postimg.cc/7YrNMfq0/Panda.jpg)](https://postimg.cc/9z1TcXRQ)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Best ones yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Postimage, must be their way of advertising!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's probably cos I'm driving one of that age and notice it more, but I see a fair number of 97/8/9 cars still about and like in your pics SM almost exclusively German and Japanese iron. To be fair the only way to kill a Toyota of that vintage requires something like this.
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.softicons.com%2Fdownload%2Fobject-icons%2Fvampire-hunter-kit-icons-by-greg-barnes%2Fpng%2F256%2FHammerAndStake.png&f=1

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's probably cos I'm driving one of that age and notice it more, but I see a fair number of 97/8/9 cars still about and like in your pics SM almost exclusively German and Japanese iron.

True - I've also seen plenty of mark 4 golf's around the place. Same goes for the Toyota saloon of the late 90's.

I met a white 91 vw Jetta on the road the other day. Wasn't able to get a picture, but she seemed in perfect working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Patrick st today

This dream machine still going strong in Edenmore, 1.5 SE limited still with those mad Japanese lace seat covers in place!

46168922184_d150fe6a18_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway
    B9jMv1V.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Spotted in rainy Salthill today. For Sale with an 11-G plate :pac:

l5pxqSoh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Miscreant

gammygils wrote: »
    Spotted in rainy Salthill today. For Sale with an 11-G plate :pac:

Mexican import perhaps? I think they were still being built there at the time.

Advertisement