Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    I havnt seen this programme , but what is wrong with the statement that people weren’t obese in the past before people knew anything about calories?

The statement began with saying that counting calories doesn't work. That's the salient point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I havnt seen this programme , but what is wrong with the statement that people weren’t obese in the past before people knew anything about calories? To make the same point someone on twitter showed a piece of footage from new York around 1910 and there wasn’t a single obese person in all the footage.

The issue was people didn't have the same access to calorie-dense food as they do now. Rich foods were the luxury then, whereas now because its made so cheap and easily available, people eat more of it as the norm. There weren't ready made meals, or takeaways, or fast food, not to the extent there is now and not to the extent of how people eat that sort of food now. That's why they didn't need to count calories back then and why we kinda do now (particularly in the case of what the discussion was about, which was how to lose weight).

Again, it's bull****, but it's wrapped in a half-truth. People didn't count calories back then and obesity wasn't such a problem. That's true. But it completely ignores something which has had a fundamental change on people's diets nowadays which means counting calories can be very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Myself and my boyfriend are both overweight. We don't eat horrendously unhealthily (as in we're not stuffing our faces with crisps and chocolate every day!), it's more a collection of bad habits, particularly portion sizes. We will hopefully start a family in a year or two and I'd love us to be as healthy as can be for that. We're both good cooks and makes all sauces etc from scratch so at least we're not starting from nothing.

I want it to be sustainable so I've been thinking of 12 steps - each month has a specific focus with the idea being to form a habit and then add to it! To start I've got:

1. Focus on having at least 5 portions of fruit and veg per day - currently we only get 2-3 which is awful

2. Seriously focus on portion sizes, particularly of carbs (the idea of having the veg step before this is that this one will be easier and probably happen naturally with more veg on the plate)

3. At least 2 veggie dinners per week (we already have some fab recipes that we've enjoyed, we can just be lazy about them sometimes)

4. Move more - get out for at least 2 walks during the week, and one long walk at weekends

... that's the general idea, could anyone add some more ideas? Trying to link them with the seasons too e.g. a goal regarding salads or something during the summer months, to set us up for success and make it enjoyable!

Couple of quick tips to help you
    Water:
    Best thing for weight loss. Also easy enough to integrate if you can replace any soft drinks/fruit juices you're currently having.
    Drinks are a sneaky way that extra calories get into your diet.

Portion Control:
    A quick way of sorting portion control is to use smaller plates. If you finish your plate and are still hungry you can always go back for more.
    I think we're all been trained from childhood to finish everything on our plate so you need to retrain your brain that it's ok to leave something on it.

Snacks:
    Have a snack between lunch and dinner. Prevents overeating at dinner time as it takes the edge off.

Exercise:
    Walking is a good start but you should try to do something a little bit more strenuous. Maybe look at a couch to 5K program. Check for Park runs in your area.

As for the long walks at the weekend look up hiking trails, historical sites or other places of interest. Walks will be much easier when you've got something to walk to, from or around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Penn wrote: »
    The issue was people didn't have the same access to calorie-dense food as they do now. Rich foods were the luxury then, whereas now because its made so cheap and easily available, people eat more of it as the norm. There weren't ready made meals, or takeaways, or fast food, not to the extent there is now and not to the extent of how people eat that sort of food now. That's why they didn't need to count calories back then and why we kinda do now (particularly in the case of what the discussion was about, which was how to lose weight).

Again, it's bull****, but it's wrapped in a half-truth. People didn't count calories back then and obesity wasn't such a problem. That's true. But it completely ignores something which has had a fundamental change on people's diets nowadays which means counting calories can be very important.

Its true but the same as saying they didn’t have access to the same variety of food. They didn’t eat sugar in large quantities , treats were treats and they generally ate 3 times a day and weren’t bombarded with a snacking culture. The choice is count calories if you must eat everything in moderation several times a day or don’t count calories and eat similar to the way people did a 100 years ago and trust your appetite. Choose what works best for you, but the first approach doesn’t seem to work for a lot of people as evidenced by the size of the “diet” industry. Plus people are more metabolically damaged in terms of cumulative insulin resistance these days based on how they were raised which they had no control over which is a challenge for any approach

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The choice is count calories if you must eat everything in moderation several times a day or don’t count calories and eat similar to the way people did a 100 years ago and trust your appetite. Choose what works best for you, but the first approach doesn’t seem to work for a lot of people as evidenced by the size of the “diet” industry.
    I'm not sure someone immediately switching to the diet of a 100 years ago is any more sustainable than any other crash diet. It's too big a change, and people a 100 years ago didn't have the choices in front of them.

But if someone did take that approach, and it worked, the same as every other "diet" it would be because of going into calorie deficit. Calories in being less than calories out remains the only scientifically proven method of losing weight.

The diet industry is because people want the easy option, not because calorie counting doesn't work. Calorie counting fails because of user input, mainly the under estimation of calories or portions. But also an over estimation of calories burned through apps and activity trackers.

There's an interesting example of over estimation of food, in an interesting article, that was in the guardian today...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jan/05/truth-obesity-five-fat-myths-debunked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Monday weigh-in

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg

Some cleaner eating and a lot of cardio

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm not sure someone immediately switching to the diet of a 100 years ago is any more sustainable than any other crash diet. It's too big a change, and people a 100 years ago didn't have the choices in front of them.

But if someone did take that approach, and it worked, the same as every other "diet" it would be because of going into calorie deficit. Calories in being less than calories out remains the only scientifically proven method of losing weight.

The diet industry is because people want the easy option, not because calorie counting doesn't work. Calorie counting fails because of user input, mainly the under estimation of calories or portions. But also an over estimation of calories burned through apps and activity trackers.

There's an interesting example of over estimation of food, in an interesting article, that was in the guardian today...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jan/05/truth-obesity-five-fat-myths-debunked

There is more to it than deficit, some types of food can be addictive , like sugar based or the “lethal” combination of high sugar high fat which override satiety signals and cause metabolic damage like insulin resistance. Why would you decide what is too big a change for someone? I’d say its easier for some people to effectively cut out processed carbs and sugar for example rather than moderating how much they are “allowed” to eat. Given that sugar sometimes gets compared to cocaine, you wouldn’t insist every cocaine user moderates their intake? Some people are just better off giving it up because its too difficult to walk the tightrope
    People are complicated and have all kinds of blind spots, at the end of the day though whatever someone does it probably ought not be “will power” based, it needs to habit based and enjoyable to follow. From my perspective I enjoy what I do because every time I eat, I eat until I am full so I don’t stress about it, I just need to be mindful not to over eat too much in the way of really high calorie food like cheese or nuts because the “ratio” of calories to satiety isn’t great.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

There is more to it than deficit, some types of food can be addictive , like sugar based or the “lethal” combination of high sugar high fat which override satiety signals and cause metabolic damage like insulin resistance. Why would you decide what is too big a change for someone? I’d say its easier for some people to effectively cut out processed carbs and sugar for example rather than moderating how much they are “allowed” to eat. Given that sugar sometimes gets compared to cocaine, you wouldn’t insist every cocaine user moderates their intake? Some people are just better off giving it up because its too difficult to walk the tightrope
    People are complicated and have all kinds of blind spots, at the end of the day though whatever someone does it probably ought not be “will power” based, it needs to habit based and enjoyable to follow. From my perspective I enjoy what I do because every time I eat, I eat until I am full so I don’t stress about it, I just need to be mindful not to over eat too much in the way of really high calorie food like cheese or nuts because the “ratio” of calories to satiety isn’t great.
    There's no scientific consensus or proof that sugar or high sugar foods are actually addictive. Some studies have said that sugar is as addictive as cocaine, but thats not the same as proven. I don't see supposed sugar addicts spooning in the granulated sugar or mainlining golden syrup.

My point is that, in my opinion, a big bang approach doesn't work, is why most diets fail, and I'd see an immediate change to a 100 year old diet the same. Not necessarily unsustainable as an end point, but as a beginning point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Monday weigh in

Week 1 - 96.1kg

There's no scientific consensus or proof that sugar or high sugar foods are actually addictive. Some studies have said that sugar is as addictive as cocaine, but thats not the same as proven. I don't see supposed sugar addicts spooning in the granulated sugar or mainlining golden syrup.

My point is that, in my opinion, a big bang approach doesn't work, is why most diets fail, and I'd see an immediate change to a 100 year old diet the same. Not necessarily unsustainable as an end point, but as a beginning point.

It doesn’t really matter if there is scientific consensus or not, it can be real from the individual perspective , sweet or combined with fat foods override the natural satiety mechanism, anyone running a restaurant can confirm. Also why do people comfort eat sugary high fat foods?, Ive never heard of anyone comfort eating with steak and eggs?

Again why would a “big bang” approach fail?, you used the term “crash diet” before which tend to be just someone panicking because they have to fit into a party dress in 3 weeks but have no long term plan. I could fill the thread with examples of people losing several stone on a “big bang” approach and keeping the weight off years later. What doesn’t seem to work is anyone who follows a biggest loser style approach which is a hyper example of “eat less, move more” , all the winners are apparently heavier than they were before they entered. It comes down to if moderation works great if not try elimination.
    I’d say that at the start if someone went on an elimination type diet, say no sugar no grains, if they felt bad it would exactly show that they were having a form of withdrawal?. Isnt there an opinion developing that the gut can be classed as a kind of organ that sends out its own signals, so its literally telling the individual “where’s my sugar?” but after a while the body adjusts.

• Advertisement

I prefer to stick to scientific proof. Not studies that "suggest" what "may" be the case.

People comfort eat foods that taste nice. Like I said, I don't see supposed sugar addicts just eating a bowl of sugar to get their fix.

I don't believe a big bang approach works for most people. That's why diets fail and are unsustainable, imo. But whatever works for an individual, long term, works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Deise boii

I started this thread but haven't posted in it so suppose I need to get my ass in gear.

99kg weighed in today.

Have bought a punch bag and hung in garage any ideas for work outs I done a bit last night arms are hanging off me going to run tonight I think.

I prefer to stick to scientific proof. Not studies that "suggest" what "may" be the case.

People comfort eat foods that taste nice. Like I said, I don't see supposed sugar addicts just eating a bowl of sugar to get their fix.

I don't believe a big bang approach works for most people. That's why diets fail and are unsustainable, imo. But whatever works for an individual, long term, works for them.

You can be addicted to sugar without eating actual spoonfuls of sugar though, in the same way you can be addicted to alcohol and prefer drinking wine or beer without necking a bottle of Absinthe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Deise boii wrote:
    Have bought a punch bag and hung in garage any ideas for work outs I done a bit last night arms are hanging off me going to run tonight I think.

You can batter it until it falls out of the ceiling but unless you sort out your diet too it'll all be in vain.

What's an average day's eating for you?

You can be addicted to sugar without eating actual spoonfuls of sugar though, in the same way you can be addicted to alcohol and prefer drinking wine or beer without necking a bottle of Absinthe.

didn't we have a thread recently about someone with a coke cola "addiction"/difficult to shake habit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

didn't we have a thread recently about someone with a coke cola "addiction"/difficult to shake habit ?

Caffeine comes in to play with Coca Cola as well, which is addictive.

Sugar encourages serotonin release in the same way many drugs do and the feeling serotonin gives off is what is addictive. In the same way you can become addicted to exercise, it's all about that good feeling but the only difference is, sugar provides a short term reward.

Beverly Hills, California

It is in no way proven, or is there scientific consensus, that sugar is addictive.

It is in no way proven, or is there scientific consensus, that sugar is addictive.

Sugar may not be addictive, but the feeling of enjoyment from the release of serotonin it causes can be very mentally addictive.

Sugar may not be addictive, but the feeling of enjoyment from the release of serotonin it causes can be very mentally addictive.

Plus it would fall under Food Addiction, the cause of which is usually compulsive eating of high-sugar and high-fat foods/drinks. I think it's semantics to say sugar addiction doesn't exist because people don't eat spoonfuls of sugar when eating direct sugar isn't how people would develop such an addiction. They get cravings and get addicted to foods which would generally have a high-sugar content.

Article in the mail yday talking about some of this stuff

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6574531/Are-addicted-bliss-point.html

Are you addicted to the bliss point? That’s the deadly ratio of sugar and fat junk food firms cynically exploit to get us hooked, and after two years’ investigation HUGH FEARNLEY-WHITTINGSTALL says we must fight back — before it’s too late
    • Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall investigates the obesity crisis in a new BBC1 series
    • The NHS spends £1.5m an hour on treating diabetes and £10 billion a year
    • Researchers believe half the population will be obese by 2050
    • Hugh questions why the traffic light system isn't mandatory on all food products
    • He received over 100,000 signatures on a letter to speak to the Health Secretary
    • He shared the importance of not relying on the food industry to fix the crisis
    By Hugh Fearnley-whittingstall For The Daily Mail
    Published: 22:12, 9 January 2019 | Updated: 00:46, 10 January 2019
    The news that British children are guzzling 22st of sugar by the age of ten has been a shocking start to the New Year. It’s no wonder Britain has the worst obesity rate in Western Europe.
    Twenty-two stones is the equivalent of almost 140 bags of sugar, and if you see a picture of all those bags piled up together, it’s hard not to feel alarmed — and a little queasy.
    Every ten minutes a child in the UK is having one of their excessively sweet teeth removed.
    But premature dentistry is just the start of the problem. Our toddlers’ taste for sugary treats means that one in three kids are now overweight by the time they leave primary school.
    The personal cost for these youngsters is immense.
    Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (pictured) spent two years investigating the UK's obesity problem for his latest BBC1 series, Britain’s Fat Fight — The Battle Continues
    By the age of 12, they are already on a fast track to obesity, and have an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes and heart disease as a result. Couple this with the fact that amputations related to type 2 diabetes are the fastest growing surgical procedures in the NHS (about one limb is being amputated every hour), and that the Government spends more on treating overweight and obesity-related diseases than it does on the police and the fire services combined, you can see why I am convinced that the obesity problem in the UK is more than just a crisis. It is now a national emergency.
    What has caused this catastrophe, and what we can do about it, are two of the big questions I’ve been grappling with while making my latest BBC1 series, Britain’s Fat Fight.
    Fifty years ago, most people tended to eat three square meals a day and no snacks. Sweets and cakes were just an occasional treat, and only two per cent of the population was obese.
    I don’t remember any particularly over-weight children in my primary school class in the seventies.
    Then the idea of eating between meals was jumped upon by marketing executives as a clever way to boost sales of a whole bunch of products, old and new — many of them high in sugar, salt, and fat.
    They created a snack market that barely existed before. And they have been astonishingly successful — today, the UK’s snack market is worth around £18 billion a year. Combine this with the arrival of fast food on the High Street in the mid Eighties, plus a new takeaway culture which promises to deliver fast food right to your front door, and it is easy to see how the average adult now eats 200-300 more calories than they need every day.
    Everyone I met while making Britain’s Fat Fight seemed to want to eat more healthily, but there was always something that thwarted their attempts to do so.
    For some it’s biscuits, for others it’s crisps. Some lose all self-control when confronted with a pizza.
    For me, it’s the Toffee Crisp. There’s something about the way the chocolate melts on the tongue and combines with the chew of the toffee and the pop of the rice which means I have been known to eat three of them back-to-back . . .
    What is it about these snacks that gives them such a vice-like grip over us? I went looking for the answer — and what I discovered is perhaps even more alarming than the amount of sugar that our children are eating.
    A few years ago, scientists at The Scripps Research Institute in Florida found that when rats were given unlimited access to pure sugar, they ate a lot of it, but didn’t get fat because they adjusted their consumption of other nutrients to make up for it. And when the rats were given as much fatty foods as they wanted, they put on a bit of weight, but not too much, as they generally chose to eat less.
    But when the rats were fed a combination of sugar and fat, the researchers found that they ate the sweet fatty food continuously and exclusively, becoming sedentary and gaining masses of weight. It was as if they lost their ability to say no.
    Then last year, Dana Small, the director of Yale University’s Modern Diet and Physiology Research Centre, used brain scanners to prove that very much the same thing happens in humans.
    When we eat foods high in both sugar and fats, the neural circuits in our brain’s reward centres light up like Christmas trees. And starchy carbs such as wheat and potatoes can be combined with fat to produce similar effects.
    Which are the foods high in both sugar and fat that create these intense cravings?

The answer, of course, is all our favourites. Doughnuts. Chips and crisps. Biscuits. Pizzas. Burgers. Chocolate bars . . . my old friend the Toffee Crisp.
    Interestingly, this almost intoxicating combination of high levels of sugar and fat doesn’t generally occur in nature. There are lots of natural sugars in fruits and roots, and there is plenty of fat in nuts and fish.
    But very rarely do you find them together in a single natural food source. It’s almost as if Mother Nature didn’t want us to eat them together.
    In fact, one of the very few places where you find sugars and fats together naturally is in breast milk. Which, of course, is the only food humans are designed to continue eating until we are so full we physically can’t take any more.
    What these researchers have demonstrated was that we are genetically pre-disposed to find these sugary fatty foods irresistible . . . but, of course, the food companies hardly needed to be told. For years now, their own scientists have been developing new foods with the perfect combination of sugar and fat they know will trigger our greed the most.
    They’ve even got a name for this holy grail of snack design: they call it the bliss point.

When you discover all of this, it is hard to see how anyone can blame individuals for the obesity crisis. Yes, we are all ultimately responsible for what we put in our mouths.

• Advertisement

Hisham Ziauddeen, a psychiatrist at the University of Cambridge, said that the rodent studies had been misunderstood by the authors, and added that a review of the matter he co-authored last year did not support the idea that sugar was addictive to humans.

“The rodent studies show that you only get addiction-like behaviours if you restrict the animals to having [sugar] for two hours every day. If you allow them to have it whenever they want it – which is really how we consume it – they don’t show these addiction-like behaviours,” he said

“What this means is that it is the combination of that particular kind of intermittent access and sugar that produces those behaviours. Further you get the same kind of effect if you use saccharin … so it seems to be about sweet taste rather than sugar.”

Ziauddeen added that it was not surprising that even rats hooked on cocaine might prefer sugar, pointing out that many animals would naturally look for sweet things, not cocaine.

Maggie Westwater, a co-author of the study with Ziauddeen, said that the anxious behaviour sometimes shown by rodents after eating sugar was far from a clear sign of addiction. “Since such ‘withdrawal’ often occurs in the context of extended fasting, we cannot say if the behaviours were precipitated by previous sugar consumption or by hunger,” she said, adding that unlike for cocaine, rodents would not seek sugar if it was paired with an unpleasant event, like an electric shock

The authors of the latest study also point to parallels between the effect of cocaine and sugar on the brain, pointing out that both interact with the same reward system.

But Ziauddeen said that was not surprising. “The reality is that quite simply the brain’s rewards system and the circuits that control eating behaviour are the same ones that respond to drugs of abuse,” he said. But, he added, unlike sugar “drugs of abuse seem to hijack those systems and turn off their normal controls.”

Tom Sanders, emeritus professor of nutrition and dietetics at King’s College London said that it was “absurd to suggest that sugar is addictive like hard drugs.”

“While it is true that a liking for sweet things can be habit-forming it is not addictive like opiates or cocaine,” said Sanders. “Individuals do not get withdrawal symptoms when they cut sugar intake.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/25/is-sugar-really-as-addictive-as-cocaine-scientists-row-over-effect-on-body-and-brain

So I stand by no proof or scientific consensus.

It is scientifically proven that factors which increase serotonin and dopamine, can become mentally dependable. Sugar increases both serotonin and dopamine. We all seek out reward on a daily basis, that is human nature. When people become accustomed to these quick fix rewards, it is a form of addiction, whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Take in less calories than you are burning. Lift weights a few times per week. Do this for 6 months and you wont be fat. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Snipp wrote: »
    Take in less calories than you are burning. Lift weights a few times per week. Do this for 6 months and you wont be fat. End of story.

Don’t eat between meals, snacks, etc and if you can manage just two meals a day instead of 3 to allow a bit of Intermittent Fasting and for those meals, eat you veg or salad and meats and you’ll have no worries. Weight will fall off! Cut Sugar and Bad Carbs out, just some willpower and allow yourself a treat on a Sat or something so it’s sustainable.

It's generally a longer story than that, and your post is overly simplistic. It's easy to say what you did, but harder for people to follow as your advice doesn't take into consideration tips on how to stay motivated, how to ensure you're getting proper nutrition from those fewer calories, tips on how to avoid common pitfalls such as parties/holidays/illness which can knock people off their rhythm, how best to target exercise for weight loss, and also sharing our individual experiences so others can learn from them or see they're going through the same and how to cope with it etc.

Maybe you should have some consideration for the people who use this forum for more in-depth help, guidance and discussions than "Eat less, move more. End of story."

tony1980 wrote: »
    Don’t eat between meals, snacks, etc and if you can manage just two meals a day instead of 3 to allow a bit of Intermittent Fasting and for those meals, eat you veg or salad and meats and you’ll have no worries. Weight will fall off! Cut Sugar and Bad Carbs out, just some willpower and allow yourself a treat on a Sat or something so it’s sustainable.

That works for some, but not for all, and isn't the only way to lose weight. I've lost over 6 stone in 8 months by pretty much doing the opposite. I have a healthy snack between meals (because it helps reduce hunger, helps me control portion sizes better and is allowed for in my calorie limits), eat three meals and two snacks per day (no intermittent fasting), and generally don't allow myself a weekly treat (but rather simply ensure the snacks/meals I'm eating are things I like, so no treat necessary).

Hence why, as per my post above, the forum involves a lot more than just eat less, move more. There are many ways to lose weight. Not all ways will suit all people, and not everyone would find it easy to stick to particular ways due to their own habits, schedules etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

It's generally a longer story than that, and your post is overly simplistic. It's easy to say what you did, but harder for people to follow as your advice doesn't take into consideration tips on how to stay motivated, how to ensure you're getting proper nutrition from those fewer calories, tips on how to avoid common pitfalls such as parties/holidays/illness which can knock people off their rhythm, how best to target exercise for weight loss, and also sharing our individual experiences so others can learn from them or see they're going through the same and how to cope with it etc.

Maybe you should have some consideration for the people who use this forum for more in-depth help, guidance and discussions than "Eat less, move more. End of story."

Literally everything you mentioned is covered by what I said - take in less calories than your body is burning and you will loose weight. There is no need for external motivation if someone actually follows that advice. Do it for a few weeks and the sheer changes in ones body composition is motivation enough. My recommendation for weight training is also extensively researched.

Literally everything you mentioned is covered by what I said - take in less calories than your body is burning and you will loose weight. There is no need for external motivation if someone actually follows that advice. Do it for a few weeks and the sheer changes in ones body composition is motivation enough. My recommendation for weight training is also extensively researched.

"take in less calories than your body is burning" - Again, this is overly simplistic and doesn't address how to ensure you have a good balance on nutrition in terms of getting enough protein, reducing fats, or for those on a Keto diet for example, getting more fats, healthier fats, reducing carbs etc. Another example from my own experience would be that for the first few weeks I was eating fewer calories than I was burning. However, I was having slight health complications which arose from not getting enough potassium in my diet. So yes, I find this to be overly simplistic.

"There is no need for external motivation if someone actually follows that advice." - Many people do struggle to stay motivated as time goes on. Continued diets can begin to feel boring, or bland, or overly restrictive, and that can result in people breaking diets. External motivation can be a great help, and can also help with accountability. Take for example going to Slimming World. Because people have paid for classes and are expected at weekly weigh-ins, or they know they have a weigh-in coming up, it can help them to stay motivated to stick to the diet. I've been greatly motivated by reading about the progress so many have made here before and it helps me stay motivated to keep going with my own diet.

"My recommendation for weight training is also extensively researched." - As before with your comment about taking in calories, just saying "lift weights" is overly simplistic. People use this forum to ask about how often should they be lifting weights, if they don't like lifting weights can they do cardio instead, or even just sharing their experiences of lifting weights which can encourage others to do it too.

Again, with most of what you said, you're not wrong. I'm just saying that posting the absolute minimum of "Take in less calories than you are burning. Lift weights a few times per week. Do this for 6 months and you wont be fat. End of story." is needlessly simplistic and unhelpful. Everyone knows that. It's how to achieve that, offering tips on recipes/foods, reading other people's experiences and advice and supporting and encouraging each other that helps people on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Wow - we have another one who will revolutionise the weight loss industry!!

Who knew it was so simple!!

Patent this idea - sell it - you will be rich beyond your wildest dreams!!!

I mean, why on earth do we have a western world obesity crisis if the answer is so simple????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

That works for some, but not for all, and isn't the only way to lose weight. I've lost over 6 stone in 8 months by pretty much doing the opposite. I have a healthy snack between meals (because it helps reduce hunger, helps me control portion sizes better and is allowed for in my calorie limits), eat three meals and two snacks per day (no intermittent fasting), and generally don't allow myself a weekly treat (but rather simply ensure the snacks/meals I'm eating are things I like, so no treat necessary).

Hence why, as per my post above, the forum involves a lot more than just eat less, move more. There are many ways to lose weight. Not all ways will suit all people, and not everyone would find it easy to stick to particular ways due to their own habits, schedules etc.

In fairness, I never said it was the only way to lose weight. I have lots of experience over the years with weight going up and down, the usual pitfalls, etc so I’ve been through all the ups and downs so I see your point and I agree.

I definitely don’t want to advocate any sort of diet and think that people should try tweak certain things they are trying to suit them in a sensible manner. One of the things I like about IF, is not just about losing weight, it’s more about the health benefits around it relating to insulin spikes and the body been able to get a chance to do some repairing during that period.

It’s great that worked for you but what I said is just a suggestion to give a go, never intended it as the only way it can be done and I would definitely recommend doing a bit of research on it before even trying it so you can be prepared. The first week can bring issues with electrolytes which can make it difficult but after a couple of weeks, this subsided and I for one, certainly stopped getting those afternoon lulls and had way more energy because of it.

Thankfully I’m at the stage where I’m doing it because of how great I feel and not relating to weight and I’m doing way less exercise than I was the past couple of years when I was running marathons.

There is a guy on Twitter I think you might find interesting to listen to, even if you don’t agree with him. He is very knowledgeable and a real interesting guy to listen to. Ivor Cummins is his name, an Irish guy.

Advertisement