Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Spacey...WTF?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So if somebody is accused for something whether guilty or not you would be against them working?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I thought Spacy was a great actor, long before HoC, and even his performances in that was top notch. Yes S6 is crap without him, but based on current allegations, I could not bring my self to watch him in it, or any of his films again to date.

That video, I just found chilling, disturbing, a mockery of the whole thing, and disrespectful to his alledged victims. I would have much rather he appeared as him self, on the court steps, and said he would fight these allegations, and clear his name.

The gloves were always going to come off on this modern phenomenon of destroying someone on the basis of allegations.
    All over this site we see it, where someone is lampooned, ridiculed or more seriously, defamed on the basis of unproven/untested allegations.

In Spacey's case the punishment has been the complete loss of not only his reputation but his career.
    I have no idea if he is guilty or not, but I regard it as a total infringement of basic human rights, what has happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The gloves were always going to come off on this modern phenomenon of destroying someone on the basis of allegations.
    All over this site we see it, where someone is lampooned, ridiculed or more seriously, defamed on the basis of unproven/untested allegations.

In Spacey's case the punishment has been the complete loss of not only his reputation but his career.
    I have no idea if he is guilty or not, but I regard it as a total infringement of basic human rights, what has happened to him.

This is why I use the term allegation. I don't know if he did what he has been accused off, but it's like any sexual related allegation case, the names of the accused should be protected, as well as the alledged victim. However, I don't think that video, has done anything to help him.

If down road, he is found innocent, I think unfortunately the case will have gone to far for his career to be saved. There will always be that assumption that something untoward happened.

Mint Sauce wrote:
    If down road, he is found innocent, I think unfortunately the case will have gone to far for his career to be saved. There will always be that assumption that something untoward happened.
    Maybe for you but not for me and I'm sure many others would agree with my take.
    Kevin Spacey is a magnificent actor and if he is found not guilty then I'm happy to give go the same benefit that a jury did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mint Sauce wrote: »

And that's why me, and many others, have not yet judged him. You cannot take away the fantastic performances he has given over the years, and that won't change regardless of the outcome. While evidence is mounting against him, it's still not an official verdict, but this thread alone will show how many people consider him guilty already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

eagle eye wrote: »
    Maybe for you but not for me and I'm sure many others would agree with my take.
    Kevin Spacey is a magnificent actor and if he is found not guilty then I'm happy to give go the same benefit that a jury did.

The first incident that came out, Spacey has never denied. He just said he didn't remember it and apologised. The victim was 14 years old at the time. Fourteen more allegations came after that. His career died after that first allegation and the fact he simply said he didn't remember it is a bit telling tbh.

https://www.ibtimes.com/kevin-spacey-sexual-advances-teenaged-anthony-rapp-was-inappropriate-drunken-behavior-2607825

batgoat wrote:
    The first incident that came out, Spacey has never denied. He just said he didn't remember it and apologised. The victim was 14 years old at the time. Fourteen more allegations came after that. His career died after that first allegation and the fact he simply said he didn't remember it is a bit telling tbh.
    I've got a ridiculous memory according to my friends and even I don't remember some things. My friends don't remember things I remind them of quite often. If I told them they touched up a kid and they didn't remember it are they guilty? If they said it was highly unlikely they would do someting like that but apologised if they did does that make them guilty?

I've got a ridiculous memory according to my friends and even I don't remember some things. My friends don't remember things I remind them of quite often. If I told them they touched up a kid and they didn't remember it are they guilty? If they said it was highly unlikely they would do someting like that but apologised if they did does that make them guilty?

Climbing on top of a 14 year old boy is something that people generally wouldn't forget....

batgoat wrote:
    Climbing on top of a 14 year old boy is something that people generally wouldn't forget....
    Good man, and he doesn't remember it so it may never have happened.

Good man, and he doesn't remember it so it may never have happened.

But saying you can't say for definite that you haven't pinned a fourteen year old to a bed isn't exactly a great reflection. I could ask most people that and they'd definitively say they haven't.

• Advertisement

batgoat wrote:
    But saying you can't say for definite that you haven't pinned a fourteen year old to a bed isn't exactly a great reflection. I could ask most people that and they'd definitively say they haven't.
    If you told them they did it when they were drunk what would they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If you told them they did it when they were drunk what would they say?
    Most people could comfortably say no. Most people don't have that in their mental landscape. If you do have that sort of thing in yours, then maybe you're someone who shouldn't get drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

There were loads of stories about Spacey when he was in Dublin filming ODC. He was apparently very open, and rampant, despite still being in the closet. I heard firsthand about him following a guy into a toilet cubicle, which is no real Biggie, but I also heard plenty of other stories second hand which were well dodgy.

Lovely, stories.
    I know he had a partner with him in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Lovely, stories.

Yes, a lot of stories. And when you hear stories and rumours and innuendo from a lot of different sources you tend to give certain allegations a bit more credence.

Dante7 wrote:
    Yes, a lot of stories. And when you hear stories and rumours and innuendo from a lot of different sources you tend to give certain allegations a bit more credence.
    And where did you hear these stories? Do you realise that a story that he is gay can turn into a story about him pulling his cock out if it goes through three people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

And where did you hear these stories? Do you realise that a story that he is gay can turn into a story about him pulling his cock out if it goes through three people?
    if what goes through three people?

if what goes through three people?
    A story.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Even his "apology" last year was WTF?
    I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor. I’m beyond horrified to hear this story. I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.

This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life. I know that there are stories out there about me and that some have been fuelled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy. As those closest to me know, in my life I have had relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man. I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behaviour.

- Kevin Spacey
    The arrogance of the man thinking he could brush off sexual assault as drunken behaviour and then try to distract everyone by announcing he is gay. He's living in cloud cuckoo land.

Alleged sexual assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Lovely, stories.

Kevin, that you?

Loved you in the usual suspects. Not so much as sexual predator suspect.

• Advertisement

Kevin, that you?
    Ha, so funny, if you are a boring person.

Ha, so funny, if you are a boring person.

Hah! I know you are, but what am I?*

* That's about your level.

Hah! I know you are, but what am I?*
    A child? A boring child?
    A person who doesn't believe in due process?

A child? A boring child?
    A person who doesn't believe in due process?

From you earlier today :rolleyes:
    No, jail for anybody telling people they are not allowed to air their views and using media to tell people how to think in the guise of current affairs.

Would you leave your 14 year old son alone with anybody with as much allegations against them as Spacey or would you be okay with leaving your 14 year old son in their care until a jury convicted them? I'm asking to find out if you are a hypocrite or an idiot.

From you earlier today
    That's just a fun thread.
    Would you leave your 14 year old son alone with anybody with as much allegations against them as Spacey or would you be okay with leaving your 14 year old son in their care until a jury convicted them? I'm asking to find out if you are a hypocrite or an idiot.
    I wouldn't leave any of my kids alone with a stranger whether he has allegations against him or not.

That's just a fun thread.

I wouldn't leave any of my kids alone with a stranger whether he has allegations against him or not.

This is After Hours, hardly the legal forum.

I didn't say anything about strangers. How about someone you are acquainted with?

I didn't say anything about strangers. How about someone you are acquainted with?
    Outside of my siblings and my best friend I wouldn't leave my children alone with anybody.

Outside of my siblings and my best friend I wouldn't leave my children alone with anybody.

Unlikely to be true. What about their school teacher for example. You do let it happen.

You're going a long way to avoid the question. But, let's stay with your scenario. Your best friend has a dozen or so allegations of sexual misconduct against them, including against minors. After this information came out, say today, would you let your 14 year old son alone with them?

Unlikely to be true. What about their school teacher for example. You do let it happen.

You're going a long way to avoid the question. But, let's stay with your scenario. Your best friend has a dozen or so allegations of sexual misconduct against them, including against minors. After this information would you let your 14 year old son alone with them?
    Let's add on top of that that they say they have no recollection of event and apologise.

• Advertisement

He would never be left alone in school. If I heard that he was left alone with a teacher there would be problems for that teacher.
    You're going a long way to avoid the question. But, let's stay with your scenario. Your best friend has a dozen or so allegations of sexual misconduct against them, including against minors. After this information would you let your 14 year old son alone with them?
    I know my best friend very well, he is like a brother. I would be certain that the allegations were false and would have no issue from a trust point of view.

Advertisement