Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change legally if you were in charge?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wealth redistribution and women's liberation will halt population growth and advance social equality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Decriminalise cannabis (ps - I never have or will use it).

Introduce 10 year firearms licenses and have a centralised unit for firearms licensing.

Gender right across the board (real genders). Fathers rights to be equal to mothers for a start. No Gender pay Gap....assuming equal work for equal pay.

Ban Gender Quotas and Gender assistance programmes. Female only workshops in colleges for example.

Ban councils from using the "local needs" rule for housing.

Introduce a license free, speed restriction for personal mobility vehicles, such as electric scooters. Anything restricted to under 25kph can be considered the same as a bicycle.

Mandatory use of helmets and hi-viz vest for all cyclists and other unlicensed public road users, including skate-boards, roller blades, scooters.

Mandatory criminal charges for people who waste Gardai time and give false statements.

Mandatory road safety inductions in lieu of penalty points for minor road traffic offences (first time offences only).

Stay Free

Ban the sidelight position on switches on vehicles, they're parking lights not "secondary headlights", so the switch has only headlights on or off or parking lights when the key is out.
    Turn left at a red light as already posted, longer amber and zero all red phase in sequence.
    Allow child benefit for only the first two children and introduce UBI (universal basic income).
    Charge employers a "migrant tax", to encourage them to employ locals first and to stop the importation of cheap labour.
    Redesignate Travellers as Irish (no special status).
    Force manufacturers to label their products with the design life and ease of serviceability of the product (how long it is designed to work for before you are expected to dump it and can you repair it)
    Ban carbon tax and replace it with a pollution tax that factors in all the "real" pollutants the product produces (car exhaust gasses for example, low CO2 but high fine particulates).
    Add a "single use" tax to products that are designed to be thrown away after one use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone found guilty of a drink driving or speeding offense banned for life from driving, absolutely no exceptions. My blood boils when I hear on the news "...got 2 years suspended for dangerous driving causing death. They had 100 previous convictions...". All these judges with their soft sentences cause untold mayhem in this country.

Replace carbon tax with fee and dividend

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    There were a lot more people here before the famine also the indigenous population of Europe is dropping.
    fyp, the falls in population are being hidden by the mass importation of "units" from the third world, in the minds of the elite, growth is non-negotiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

EPAndlee wrote:
    I'd start thinning out the population, there's too many people

You volunteering to go first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I’d keep the jobseekers budget the same. Yep a proposal that costs nothing extra

If you lose your job and have your “stamps” you get 70% of your salary for maybe 6 months and we’ll drop to 50% and maybe after a year you are going to the standard rate

If you have no history of contributions at all you get the standard rate and after 1 year you are cut off if not working or in eduction. It will not be possible to spend years on jobseekers. I know I know there is Seetec but still people remain on it for years

This system already exists in much of Europe, shocking I know :eek:

Make civics, home economics, nutrition and first aid core subjects on the educational curriculum.

Drop Irish and English in secondary schools. Shakespeare is not a life skill.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Make civics, home economics, nutrition and first aid core subjects on the educational curriculum.

Drop Irish and English in secondary schools. Shakespeare is not a life skill.
    But drafting a good CV is.

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I’d keep the jobseekers budget the same. Yep a proposal that costs nothing extra

If you lose your job and have your “stamps” you get 70% of your salary for maybe 6 months and we’ll drop to 50% and maybe after a year you are doing to the standard rate

If you have no history of contributions at all you get the standard rate and after 1 year you are cut off if no working or in eduction

This system already exists in much of Europe, shocking I know :eek:

Yes, and maintain jsa for first month of employment.

But drafting a good CV is.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's not, it was but it's not any longer. Fertility rates have crashed in the last 15 years.

Fertility rates and population growth are not the same thing.

"Population in the world is currently (2018) growing at a rate of around 1.09% per year (down from 1.12% in 2017 and 1.14% in 2016). The current average population increase is estimated at 83 million people per year.
    Annual growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at around 2%. The rate of increase has nearly halved since then, and will continue to decline in the coming years. It is estimated to reach 1% by 2023, less than 0.5% by 2052, and 0.25% in 2076 (a yearly addition of 27 million people to a population of 10.7 billion). In 2100, it should be only 0.09%, or an addition of only 10 million people to a total population of 11.2 billion."

Good news is that by the time its slows to 0.09% the earth will be uninhabitable to humans and all the animals and insects will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

A quota system for refugees by country of origin and their ability to integrate into Irish society

... do you mean refugees or migrants ? and what is current refugees number here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Fertility rates and population growth are not the same thing.

"Population in the world is currently (2018) growing at a rate of around 1.09% per year (down from 1.12% in 2017 and 1.14% in 2016). The current average population increase is estimated at 83 million people per year.
    Annual growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at around 2%. The rate of increase has nearly halved since then, and will continue to decline in the coming years. It is estimated to reach 1% by 2023, less than 0.5% by 2052, and 0.25% in 2076 (a yearly addition of 27 million people to a population of 10.7 billion). In 2100, it should be only 0.09%, or an addition of only 10 million people to a total population of 11.2 billion."

Good news is that by the time its slows to 0.09% the earth will be uninhabitable to humans and all the animals and insects will be gone.

You are a true prophet of doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Half the number of politicians in the dail,
    Get rid of paye diy tax
    Everyone pays social security for mostly free health care
    Death penalty back
    Assisted dying for terminal I'll patients

Feck it I should just move to France

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

You are a true prophet of doom.

A fair point. Shame is, its also realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

I'd build that prison out in Thornton Hall that Mad Dog McDowell purchased for a king's ransom. Then judges could sentence skangers to prison with some degree of confidence that they'd be kept there. It's already cost the taxpayers over €50 million.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/empty-prison-site-costs-taxpayer-e51-million-298477

Aside As a NUI graduate, I find it incredible that a life-long spoofer/windbag like McDowell was elected to the Senate by my fellow graduates.

"The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Michael McDowell said plans are 'definitely on track' for building work to start on the new prison complex at Thornton in north Co Dublin in March 2007."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

UBI
    4 Day week
    Legalise cannabis so people know what they're taking
    Restaurants must publish nutritional information on menus
    Directly elected mayors for Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford
    Euthanasia with solid consent checks
    Reduce our dependency on private cars by building railways between Cork and Limerick, Athenry and Sligo via Knock, Sligo and Derry, Dublin and Navan.
    Seize church assets to pay the abuse bill
    Massively revamp the property tax so its based on the owners and use of the property
    Rationalise our tax system
    A .5% levy on all transactions carried out by mncs
    End the liquid ban on flying
    Congestion charges in the major cities once pt is in place
    Seperate church and state for good
    Revamp how Irish is thought, put more of an emphasis on being able to speak it first and then move onto grammar rules and analysing poetry
    Charge the carbon tax but invest it in pt and clean energy solutions rather than paying eu fines

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No cash for Social welfare recipients. They all get what they should be buying with their money.
    I'd have five year sentences for anybody caught trading these items for cash.
    If you come live in this country from abroad and you are on social welfare for two years you get turfed out of the country.
    No ethnic standing for any Irish born person.
    Freedom of speech for all. Jail for anybody telling you that you are not allowed air your views because they are not PC.
    All the following can leave the country or spend the rest of their lives behind bars. Margaret Cash, Leo Varadkar, Mary Lou, Michael Martin, Mick Wallace, Ryan Tubridy, Bono and multiple media personalities who are telling people how they should think.
    That'll do for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

eagle eye wrote: »
    No cash for Social welfare recipients. They all get what they should be buying with their money.
    I'd have five year sentences for anybody caught trading these items for cash.
    If you come live in this country from abroad and you are on social welfare for two years you get turfed out of the country.
    No ethnic standing for any Irish born person.
    Freedom of speech for all. Jail for anybody telling you that you are not allowed air your views because they are not PC.
    All the following can leave the country or spend the rest of their lives behind bars. Margaret Cash, Leo Varadkar, Mary Lou, Michael Martin, Mick Wallace, Ryan Tubridy, Bono and multiple media personalities who are telling people how they should think.
    That'll do for a start.

So free speech for all except those individuals you don't like listening to... They get deported

Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

lawred2 wrote:
    So free speech for all except those individuals you don't like listening to... They get deported
    No, jail for anybody telling people they are not allowed to air their views and using media to tell people how to think in the guise of current affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I'd build that prison out in Thornton Hall that Mad Dog McDowell purchased for a king's ransom. Then judges could sentence skangers to prison with some degree of confidence that they'd be kept there. It's already cost the taxpayers over €50 million.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/empty-prison-site-costs-taxpayer-e51-million-298477

Aside As a NUI graduate, I find it incredible that a life-long spoofer/windbag like McDowell was elected to the Senate by my fellow graduates.

"The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Michael McDowell said plans are 'definitely on track' for building work to start on the new prison complex at Thornton in north Co Dublin in March 2007."

I give you Ronan Mullen

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Copy an paste a lot of the US' harsher laws, like mandatory 30 years for drug offenses, actually put criminals in jail rather than let them free with 50, 60, 70 plus convictions. Let the Gardai do what they've started doing in England and ramming scumbags off their bikes. Curfew for under 18's, I know the political will isn't there for any of this and even if it were, the European courts would rescind most of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

comunity service for smaller crimes.

change the prison system to a working prison. have them out in quarries loading stone, digging ditchs etc.

3 strike rule for criminals.

20 years means 20 years. end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

No corporation gets away with tax evasion, money laundering, avoidance, any of that nonsense. If you cannot pay a decent wage with pension and usual benefits whilst paying a fair amount of tax, you should not and will not be in business.

Ten times less politicians, ten times more front line workers, nurses, ambulance drivers, emergency services etc.

Four day work week.

Legalise possession and sale of cannabis with taxes raised going to healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

McGaggs wrote: »
    Everyone is given 100 points at birth. Various crimes have point values that reduce your balance. Get to zero points and you're euthanised. Preferably by being fitted out of a giant canon.
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Make Trespass a criminal offense.

Currently, any number of people can invade your property/land, and theres nothing you can do until they commit a crime.
    The population of the world is rising rapidly and becoming unsustainable but sure as long as Europe's population drops slightly.

Glad to get really silly responses. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I with you on that last one but if you want all organic farming you’ll be paying a lot more for food.

And you'll have a much larger carbon footprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd change the law;

put draconian laws in place for online companies tracking/surveilling us
    make the defacto age allowed online be 16
    to decriminalise drugs (and let selling weed happen in shops)
    make family court have a default 50/50 position
    euthanasia
    not have minimum pricing on alcohol
    let Uber drivers exist here
    make our libel laws far softer

Yours??? :)

Pretty much the opposite to yours in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Patww79 wrote: »
    Pretty much the opposite to yours in most cases.

Is the opposite of 50\50 still50\50?

Advertisement