Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Spacey...WTF?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think that is absolutely fantastic.

#metoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

As did Paul gambiancini, Cliff Richard, Jim Davidson, Nigel Evans, Jimmy Tarbuck and Harvey Proctor...all accused falsely and since declared innocent.
    Spacey May well be guilty of what he is accused of but I would not be rushing to tar and feather him until convicted of wrong doing.

Wagner was a had a whiff of NAzi off him too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Sorry , I'm sure it's been posted already, but who in the name of christ thought it would be a good idea for Kevin Spacey to post a video of himself in character of Frank Underwood ( a slimeball murdering scumbag) that he is innocent ???

Jesus, those PR people need a sackingg ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Creepy as ****, should have done it as the character he played in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

He is using the gay card and now maybe the mental health card, or maybe perhaps playing the screw the media, I'm clearly innocent if I can show you how ridiculous these charges seem to be that I am confident I am innocent by releasing a ridiculous sketch, i am not going to hide away .......... clever ploy if you ask me heading in front of an American jury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well imo it's what an innocent person would do. The guilty guy usually takes the advice of counsel and keeps very quiet.
    People nearly convicting him before he is guilty and backing it up with comments about how it's going to court and that's enough.
    They don't understand the American Justice system at all and how much it's different from the Irish system.
    The DA is an elected official. In many cases the DA moves on to state or even federal politics later in life. Mr O'Keefe will get huge exposure out of this regardless of the outcome. It's all good for him. If Spacey gets convicted then he is the man who will get the credit, if Spacey is found not guilty then he still has the publicity surrounding the trial nearly guaranteeing him another term as DA or maybe moving up to State politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, I haven't watched the video as I didn't watch House of Cards so the whole character thing will be lost on me. I don't care to watch it either, but I did want to chime in with my 2 cents. Yes, a lot of people have made allegations, and yes some of them are getting to a court case. While it would be unusual for the state to proceed with a prosecution if there was no enough evidence, it's also likely that they are proceeding in the public interest, ie: the state has to be seen to take these allegations seriously due to trial by social media. Even if there is not enough evidence, the state would still bring a case due to the celebrity status and the whole #metoo movement which is basically demanding a court case. It wouldn't be the first time, and it won't be the last time, that a case gets to court without enough evidence, so won't surprise me if this is similar.

Yes, the stories are not great, but right now that is all they are, stories. I've seen first hand how a false allegation can lead to a prosecution, and it happens a lot more than people realise, especially in the he-said-she-said* sexual assault cases. I don't know how they will prove historical abuse, the majority of evidence in these cases are usually from clothes and swabs the same day/day after. Also, due to the time, there will be no cctv, and I haven't heard any mention of other forms of media to be used as evidence, so this will 100% be a he-said-she-said case.

If this had come out maybe 10 years ago, before I was a Garda, I would probably have jumped on the guilty by social media bandwagon, but having worked in law, with law and seeing how courts operate (granted, different countries have different processes, but the core would be the same), I'm firmly in the innocent until proven guilty side. Again, it doesn't look good for him, but there is nothing to stop anyone making any kind of allegation against another person, and in the he-said-she-said cases it all boils down to who is more believable.

Also, not sure about the US but I'd imagine it's the same, criminal cases (of which this is one) need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, which will be extremely hard to prove at this stage imo, unless he admits it (which it doesn't look like he will). I can see this going through all the twists and turns of a social media sexual assault case, and there will be no difference in the end, as I'd imagine there won't be enough to convict him, but people will still consider him guilty. He's screwed either way.

*In the interest of the soft society we have, he-said-she-said covers all genders and relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

Ok, I haven't watched the video as I didn't watch House of Cards so the whole character thing will be lost on me. I don't care to watch it either, but I did want to chime in with my 2 cents. Yes, a lot of people have made allegations, and yes some of them are getting to a court case. While it would be unusual for the state to proceed with a prosecution if there was no enough evidence, it's also likely that they are proceeding in the public interest, ie: the state has to be seen to take these allegations seriously due to trial by social media. Even if there is not enough evidence, the state would still bring a case due to the celebrity status and the whole #metoo movement which is basically demanding a court case. It wouldn't be the first time, and it won't be the last time, that a case gets to court without enough evidence, so won't surprise me if this is similar.

Yes, the stories are not great, but right now that is all they are, stories. I've seen first hand how a false allegation can lead to a prosecution, and it happens a lot more than people realise, especially in the he-said-she-said* sexual assault cases. I don't know how they will prove historical abuse, the majority of evidence in these cases are usually from clothes and swabs the same day/day after. Also, due to the time, there will be no cctv, and I haven't heard any mention of other forms of media to be used as evidence, so this will 100% be a he-said-she-said case.

If this had come out maybe 10 years ago, before I was a Garda, I would probably have jumped on the guilty by social media bandwagon, but having worked in law, with law and seeing how courts operate (granted, different countries have different processes, but the core would be the same), I'm firmly in the innocent until proven guilty side. Again, it doesn't look good for him, but there is nothing to stop anyone making any kind of allegation against another person, and in the he-said-she-said cases it all boils down to who is more believable.

Also, not sure about the US but I'd imagine it's the same, criminal cases (of which this is one) need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, which will be extremely hard to prove at this stage imo, unless he admits it (which it doesn't look like he will). I can see this going through all the twists and turns of a social media sexual assault case, and there will be no difference in the end, as I'd imagine there won't be enough to convict him, but people will still consider him guilty. He's screwed either way.

*In the interest of the soft society we have, he-said-she-said covers all genders and relationships.

So do you think the mutplie people who have accused him are all lying about it? For what purpose? Money? Attention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Augme wrote: »
    So do you think the mutplie people who have accused him are all lying about it? For what purpose? Money? Attention?

If he is innocent....... I am choosing this.

Social media has ridden us of the presumption of innocence. This is case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Was that before or after he got a standing ovation led by Streep?

It’s the hypocrisy of Hollywood. He got plenty of work when he was out of the country. Plenty of his supporters are jumping on the me too bandwagon because it’s the current trend. Hollywood is a bigger cesspool than politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Augme wrote:
    In this day and age with social media it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world if a group of Kevin Spacey haters got together to make it look bad for him.
    Not saying that is the case just that it's entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pac1Man wrote: »
    2019 is Kevin's comeback season.

Come on Kevin!

Bad choice of wording... :pac:

Never said that. They may be lying. They may also be telling the truth. This is what the courts system is for. Innocent until proven guilty. That's the same for everyone, regardless of who they are or what they did. Half the population who care have already convicted him, and that's dangerous. The other half are not necessarily defending him, most are probably waiting to see the legal outcome based on facts judged by peers. That's what i'm doing. That's what the majority of people on here not instantly hating him are probably waiting for.

If they are lying, like above, most likely for the money. You can get crazy money these days for nearly anything, and when a celebrity is involved the amount sky-rockets. Most probably get a payout to say nothing, mostly like sometimes because it's hush money, sometimes it's cheaper than going through the courts, and sometimes because even an allegation can ruin a career, even if they're guilty.

Have a look at this article, written like Hollywoods Nicest Keanu Reeves deliberately knocked over a paparazzi and made him fear that he would die (yes, the article bolded the word die). Reading that, some would perceive Keanu to be a lunatic, a danger, crazy, possibly on drugs. Turns out it was all false. Took 4 years, but many people had considered him something he was not because of it. Kevin Spacey seems to have a lot more evidence against him, and for something way more serious, but I'll believe it once it has gone through a proper and thorough investigation, hearing and judgement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Has Al Porter commented ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't think they are, but even if he did it I think he deserves due process as does anyone (even if you kill someone... was it manslaughter, self defense or murder - and which degree. The details should always be ironed out).

But guilty or innocent, his idea here was disgusting and reeks of strong mental illness/delusions of grandeur. As did his absurd "did you know I'm gay?" bit last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well imo it's what an innocent person would do. The guilty guy usually takes the advice of counsel and keeps very quiet.
    Good news, Kevin: it's working! :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Rape has fallen out of fashion though. Just a couple of years ago Natalie Portman was saying how Roman Polanski has suffered enough and she was delighted to work with him. Now she is being cheered on as she rants about getting no sleep since Kavanagh was appointed to the supreme court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

I'm a huge fan of Spacey's work, and I am actually glad to see the charge made.

Now he can face his accusers, be found not guilty and only the nonsense from the "twitterverse" will remain.

Sadly though I fear in the current witch hunt climate he'll never work again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Hollywood will forgive anything except saying anything against jews. Isn't that right, Mel.

eagle eye wrote: »
    In this day and age with social media it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world if a group of Kevin Spacey haters got together to make it look bad for him.
    Not saying that is the case just that it's entirely possible.

So when has this happened before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I really hope he makes it back. The last season of the house of cards was crap without him. Guy is a great actor. Have a feeling there are a few people trying to make a few dollars of him by spreading awful stories about him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Even his "apology" last year was WTF?
    I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor. I’m beyond horrified to hear this story. I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.

This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life. I know that there are stories out there about me and that some have been fuelled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy. As those closest to me know, in my life I have had relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man. I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behaviour.

- Kevin Spacey
    The arrogance of the man thinking he could brush off sexual assault as drunken behaviour and then try to distract everyone by announcing he is gay. He's living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I really hope he makes it back. The last season of the house of cards was crap without him. Guy is a great actor. Have a feeling there are a few people trying to make a few dollars of him by spreading awful stories about him.

Thing is with the last allegation in relation to the teen. His denial consisted of not remembering it rather than it not happening. He also apologised for it. Plus had similar onset allegations if I recall correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

batgoat wrote: »
    Thing is with the last allegation in relation to the teen. His denial consisted of not remembering it rather than it not happening. He also apologised for it. Plus had similar onset allegations if I recall correctly.
    His apology was PR damage control whataboutery. He even says in it there are stories about him. He knew others were going to come forward. Absolute creep.

Paddy Cow wrote: »

The arrogance of the man thinking he could brush off sexual assault as drunken behaviour and then try to distract everyone by announcing he is gay. He's living in cloud cuckoo land.

I'm 50 and if someone said I'd groped someone when pissed 20 plus years ago i doubt I'd remember.

I'm 50 and if someone said I'd groped someone when pissed 20 plus years ago i doubt I'd remember.

Good to know you think you'd be capable of gropping someone though. Classy.

Good to know you think you'd be capable of gropping someone though. Classy.

Ah sure who hasn't dropped the hand now and then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Hollywood will forgive anything except saying anything against jews. Isn't that right, Mel.

The same Mel Gibson that was nominated for a best director Oscar on a movie that had 6 nominations, 2 wins and made 175mn just last year? He was ostracized for sure, but a good director is a good director is a good director.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Paddy Cow wrote: »

He's an absolute creep. I hope he serious time but i seriously doubt it.

He's an absolute creep. I hope he serious time but i seriously doubt it.

Ah yes, can you quote the penal code where "absolute creep" is listed and what the penalties under law are ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I thought Spacy was a great actor, long before HoC, and even his performances in that was top notch. Yes S6 is crap without him, but based on current allegations, I could not bring my self to watch him in it, or any of his films again to date.

That video, I just found chilling, disturbing, a mockery of the whole thing, and disrespectful to his alledged victims. I would have much rather he appeared as him self, on the court steps, and said he would fight these allegations, and clear his name.

Advertisement