Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Munster January Sales Thread AKA Munster V Leinster build up thread

• 26-12-2018 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So which players will we be sending down for Munster to run their eye over and covet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

stephen_n wrote: »
    So which players will we be sending down for Munster to run their eye over and covet?

Maybe that fella, Timmy Furlong?...might be worth a shot down here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

On the basis that the kids got to play Connacht, I'd say their elders and betters will be sent south for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

prawnsambo wrote: »
    On the basis that the kids got to play Connacht, I'd say their elders and betters will be sent south for the winter.

I suppose we can mix and match with this and the Ulster game. But with two European games coming up some rest is required for the senior players.

Will Connors has been wearing these in training all week

20171026_090331.jpg?w=370&h=196

Will Connors has been wearing these in training all week

20171026_090331.jpg?w=370&h=196

Did he leave anything in the dressing room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

How many Leinster/Saffer players will Munster have in the 23?
    Will the Munster fans have another massive meltdown after the match?
    Will finally put to bed the old adage 'nobody beats Munster twice five times'?

These are the questions we need answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,128 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Munster., funny. I hope for Carberry's sake he has a decent game. Otherwise we may end up seeing Frawley and Joe sitting in a cafe in D1.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd go for:

Kilcoyne, Scannell, J Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, POM, Cloete, Stander;
    Murray, Carbery, Earls, Scannell, Arnold, Conway, Haley

KOB, Loughman, Archer, Wycherley, Botha, Mathewson, Johnston, Sweetnam

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I can't wait to see JVG's scouting report he sends back to SA after watching Ireland Leinster play.

I'd go for:

Kilcoyne, Scannell, J Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, POM, Cloete, Stander;
    Murray, Carbery, Earls, Scannell, Arnold, Conway, Haley

KOB, Loughman, Archer, Wycherley, Botha, Mathewson, Johnston, Sweetnam

Be a good team for the drive for 5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You know the Munster-Leinster rivalry is a shadow of times past when the MOLFs put far more effort into the Connacht build-up threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So this is going to the 2 full squads with the Internationals ???

Could be some game if so and there all on fire

Munster need a win badly but Leinster want the bragging rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

stephen_n wrote: »

Its more an investment in Leinster's own future to decide which ones we sub out to them.

When your riches are overflowing to the extent that you cannot give them all your prospects game time, its terrific to now have three developmental provinces to which to send them. If one player surpasses the ones you have kept in the main squad, or one in one of the satellites reaches a level higher than might have been expected and is of Leinster level again, then you bring them back to base.

The Leinster player development and succession planning machine has reached perfection now, and is the envy of every other rugby setup in the world.
    A nod of thanks to the other three provinces, Munster included, for the part they play in facilitating this for Leinster is certainly in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Red lemonade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭flatty

As good a place as anywhere given the above, but can anyone see ulster becoming any kind of force again in the foreseeable future?
    There's something rotten there that goes beyond the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

flatty wrote: »
    As good a place as anywhere given the above, but can anyone see ulster becoming any kind of force again in the foreseeable future?
    There's something rotten there that goes beyond the trial.

The Munster v Leinster buildup thread is as good a place as anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Leinster will probably go as full on as possible. I wonder who Joe is taking off the table though other than the obvious ones like Sexton and Furlong. They've both played a lot. Probably Toner as well, maybe Leavy. Actually, Furlong will probably need to play.

Here's my 23, I'm not confident at all though.

Byrne, Tracy, Porter, Maloney, Ryan, Ruddock, VdF, Conan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, O'Loughlin, Ringrose, Byrne, Kearney.

Dooley, Healy, Bent, Kearney, Doris/Deegan, JGP, Frawley, Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

troyzer wrote: »
    Leinster will probably go as full on as possible. I wonder who Joe is taking off the table though other than the obvious ones like Sexton and Furlong. They've both played a lot. Probably Toner as well, maybe Leavy. Actually, Furlong will probably need to play.

Here's my 23, I'm not confident at all though.

Byrne, Tracy, Porter, Maloney, Ryan, Ruddock, VdF, Conan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, O'Loughlin, Ringrose, Byrne, Kearney.

Dooley, Healy, Bent, Kearney, Doris/Deegan, JGP, Frawley, Kearney.

Healy Cronin Furlong ryan toner Ruddock VDF Conan

McGrath Sexton Lowe ROL Ringrose Larmour Kearney

Byrne Tracy Porter Molony Leavy JGP Byrne Byrne

Frank Murphy as ref? I smell a rat.

I'll never understand why the Unions don't swap referees for the derbies. Owens is calling the Cardiff game despite being from near Llanelli.

At least Munster won't have any excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

It will be interesting to see who gets selected between Doris and Deegan this weekend. Whoever benches would want to put in a trojan performance otherwise they will be lining up to be farmed out to Munster/Ulster next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Heymans wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see who gets selected between Doris and Deegan this weekend. Whoever benches would want to put in a trojan performance otherwise they will be lining up to be farmed out to Munster/Ulster next season.

It can't be Doris to Ulster. That's the name of Ethel's sister, the sub tea lady.....:D

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get Carbery v Byrne II.

We have to remember that we're in a World Cup year and we're still not particularly set at OH in case Sexton gets injured.

Looking forward to Ross making it 2-0 in terms of wins and MOTMs if that's the case :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'll never understand why the Unions don't swap referees for the derbies. Owens is calling the Cardiff game despite being from near Llanelli.

Calling for your own team's players to eye-gouge back last week, and casually questioning a ref's integrity this week. I wonder what next week will bring.

aloooof wrote: »

Calling for your own team's players to eye-gouge back last week, and casually questioning a ref's integrity this week. I wonder what next week will bring.

When did I do tell my team to eye-gouge?

As a general rule, a referee should never be given a game including their own union. This is standard in test rugby and in most domestic leagues. I don't know why we can't do it in the Pro14.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭elliot_st

another Leinster win?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think Leinster will be closer to last weeks team with 3/4 changes and stronger for the following weeks visit of Ulster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Here:
    It's just part of the sport. Peter O'Mahony has built a career on constantly getting away with murder and he's brilliant for it.

You have to fight back. Maybe gouge someone in the ruck when the referee is facing the other way, cheeky knee in the ribs during a clear out.

It's awful that it's part of the game but if you're going to be subjected to it and the referee is doing nothing, then fit in or **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

This is a very disappointing build up thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

What are the two best possible teams, taking into account current injury lists?

I think the strongest Munster could be in my opinion is as follows:
    1. Kilcoyne, 2. Scannell, 3. Ryan,
    4. Beirne, 5. Kleyn,
    6. O’Mahony, 8. Stander, 7. O’Donnell,
    9. Murray, 10. Carbery,
    12. Scannell, 13. Taute,
    11. Earls, 15. Conway, 14. Sweetnam.

16. O’Byrne, 17. Loughman, 18. Archer, 19. Holland, 20. Botha, 21. Mathewson, 22. Hanrahan, 23. Arnold.

Injured: Brian Scott (foot), James Cronin (leg), Jack O’Donoghue (knee), Dave O’Callaghan (foot).

The selection above would leave reserves as follows, by position:
    1. Liam O’Connor, 2. Rhys Marshall/Mike Sherry, 3. Ciaran Parker,
    4. Fineen Wycherley, 5. Darren O’Shea,
    6. Seán O’Connor (A), 8. Gavin Coombes (A), 7. Chris Cloete/Conor Oliver,
    9. Neil Cronin/Duncan Williams/James Hart, 10. Bill Johnston/Ian Keatley,
    12. Tyler Bleyendaal/Dan Goggin, 13. Chris Farrell/Shane Daly (A),
    11. Alex Wootton/Ronan O’Mahony, 15. Mike Haley, 14. Calvin Nash.

Either of Cloete or Haley are in with a shout to start but can’t see anyone else that’s borderline.

Could someone do a similar post for the Leinster squad please?
    Cheers

Edit - Latest injury update 27th Dec that Hart, Marshall and Farrell will be reintegrated into team training this week so adding them to reserves as that sounds like they still won’t be selected for this weekend unless of an emergency.
    Also updating above with (A) = Academy

• Advertisement

Here:
    It's just part of the sport. Peter O'Mahony has built a career on constantly getting away with murder and he's brilliant for it.

You have to fight back. Maybe gouge someone in the ruck when the referee is facing the other way, cheeky knee in the ribs during a clear out.

It's awful that it's part of the game but if you're going to be subjected to it and the referee is doing nothing, then fit in or **** off.

That wasn't my team I was talking about.

And yeah, if you're going to be gouged and not protected by the referee, then you have to fight fire with fire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement