Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Munster January Sales Thread AKA Munster V Leinster build up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

elliot_st wrote: »
    even Munster will get lucky once or twice. could even be this weekend.

this game means more to them than Leinster, Leinster are beyond worrying about Munster on the field, whereas this is Munsters season if van graans comments are anything to go by.

29 posts and Eff all good to say in any of them. 2nd account or turd?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭fitz

Hard to get excited about playing Munster these days. It's a chance to see how the young lads go against the development province I guess. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

mfceiling wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »

The Munster of old had complete dogs like Alan Quinlan constantly eye gouging people.

That's simply not true at all.
    Ehh. They weren't all bad, but there were some out and out scummers.

Clohessy wouldn't have a career if he were playing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Amen brother

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Does everyone posting here understand the point of this thread? I’m not sure......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

molloyjh wrote: »
    Does everyone posting here understand the point of this thread? I’m not sure......

I'm not sure. Is it.' One of it's legs is both the same.'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

I think the reason that there no real bite in this thread is because the result is irrelevant...
    Yes..both sides want bragging rights...but the reality is...this year...due to circumstances...this game isn't important...
    The 2 upcoming Heineken games are more so for Munster...and win lose or draw this game for us...it's not going to have a huge overall bearing on the Pro 14 table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think the reason that there no real bite in this thread is because the result is irrelevant...
    Yes..both sides want bragging rights...but the reality is...this year...due to circumstances...this game isn't important...
    The 2 upcoming Heineken games are more so for Munster...and win lose or draw this game for us...it's not going to have a huge overall bearing on the Pro 14 table

If Munster lose, Connacht win and Ospreys beat Dragons, then Munster will be out of the qualification spots for Europe on Sunday evening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There's bite alright but it's the wrong kind of bite.

If Munster lose, Connacht win and Ospreys beat Dragons, then Munster will be out of the qualification spots for Europe on Sunday evening.

As I said... irrelevant ...unless the league ends on Sunday evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

As I said... irrelevant ...unless the league ends on Sunday evening

Lol.

Unfortunately for Munster, the people in charge seem to have as good a grasp of things as you do.

Lol.

Unfortunately for Munster, the people in charge seem to have as good a grasp of things as you do.

If you offered us 9 points in the Heineken cup guaranteed Vs beating Leinster...guess which one we'd take .
    This game is irrelevant as far as the season goes...we lose...we can make up any perceived lost ground rapidly...
    we win...and we're a little more comfortable....
    anyone that thinks that mathematical gymnastics of us perhaps being outside the European qualification places after the game is a worry...well....it's your grasp of reality that needs attention...not ours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Munster need a win pretty badly here. They have 5 away games remaining in the league, two vs the chasers in their conference, Ospreys and Connacht, and they have two further losable games away to Scarlets and Treviso, especially considering their away form this season.

On the flip side, Leinster are coasting 16 points clear with both chasers to come to the RDS, Ulster in the following game. We also have 6 of our remaining games at home and 3 away following this one.

I just don’t see how this game matters to Leinster on a strategic level, and Munster desperately need this win. I think we’ll do Munster a favour this weekend and send a fairly weak team, Munster will be well up for this, go full strength with Carbery who will have a point to prove.

Munster by 7 with a try bonus point imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If you offered us 9 points in the Heineken cup guaranteed Vs beating Leinster...guess which one we'd take .
    This game is irrelevant as far as the season goes...we lose...we can make up any perceived lost ground rapidly...
    we win...and we're a little more comfortable....
    anyone that thinks that mathematical gymnastics of us perhaps being outside the European qualification places after the game is a worry...well....it's your grasp of reality that needs attention...not ours ;)

The game clearly isn't irrelevant, no matter how much you (bizarrely) try to claim it is. It's just classic getting your excuses in early. Picking between this and Europe is a complete nonsense because it's not actually a choice, Munster can win all three games believe it or not.

The game clearly isn't irrelevant, no matter how much you (bizarrely) try to claim it is. It's just classic getting your excuses in early. Picking between this and Europe is a complete nonsense because it's not actually a choice, Munster can win all three games believe it or not.

Is it possible to win all three games... yes...is it probable...no

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Like last year you mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭elliot_st

Potential Leinster XV:

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Dan Leavy
    7. Josh Van Der Flier
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Rory O'Loughlin
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. Jordan Larmour
    16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Rhys Ruddock
    21. Jamison Gibson Park
    22. Ciaran Frawley
    23. Noel Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Surely if it’s not probable, you target the home wins? If both sides went full strength Munster would be slight favorites. So the match is very winnable even without knowing the teams.

Potential Leinster XV:

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Dan Leavy
    7. Josh Van Der Flier
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Rory O'Loughlin
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. Jordan Larmour
    16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Rhys Ruddock
    21. Jamison Gibson Park
    22. Ciaran Frawley
    23. Noel Reid

Unless Kearney snr is still injured, which I don’t think he is. He will probably start this game. Also think one of Ryan or Toner will sit this out and swap next weekend.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Unless Kearney snr is still injured, which I don’t think he is. He will probably start this game. Also think one of Ryan or Toner will sit this out and swap next weekend.

Possibly, just having a guess.

Maybe Toner rested. I'd like to see Molony/Ryan pair up, old school combo, don't think they started many games together oddly.

• Advertisement

Surely if it’s not probable, you target the home wins? If both sides went full strength Munster would be slight favorites. So the match is very winnable even without knowing the teams.

Target a Pro 14 home win over a Heineken cup away win...no..I'm afraid that isn't happening in any world

Possibly, just having a guess.

Maybe Toner rested. I'd like to see Molony/Ryan pair up, old school combo, don't think they started many games together oddly.

I thought Moloney was two years ahead of Ryan, didn’t realize they were in the same team. Be interesting to see if we go down as strong as your selection though.

I thought Moloney was two years ahead of Ryan, didn’t realize they were in the same team. Be interesting to see if we go down as strong as your selection though.

Yeah when Molony was in 6th year, Ryan started at lock alongside him as a 4th year. They made the final of the cup and lost to a Ringrose inspired Rock team.

Target a Pro 14 home win over a Heineken cup away win...no..I'm afraid that isn't happening in any world

I was more thinking of targeting the home match in the pro 14 over the away match in the pro 14 next week. Munster should be able to go full strength this week and in the two European matches. With Munsters away form under VG, targeting an away win in any competition is fanciful though.

I was more thinking of targeting the home match in the pro 14 over the away match in the pro 14 next week. Munster should be able to go full strength this week and in the two European matches. With Munsters away form under VG, targeting an away win in any competition is fanciful though.

JVG's future at Munster depends on qualifying for the knock out stages of the Heineken cup...not a morale boosting Pro14 win unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

God this team announcement can't come quick enough.

JVG's future at Munster depends on qualifying for the knock out stages of the Heineken cup...not a morale boosting Pro14 win unfortunately.

With Munsters away form this is more than a moral boosting exercise, I’d have thought winning all your home games was vital to guarantee 2nd place in the conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Fineen Wycherley, Chris Cloete, CJ Stander (C).

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, Tyler Bleyendaal, Darren Sweetnam.

No POM and Bleyendaal on the bench. Goggin starts after injury.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (30)
    14. Dave Kearney (128)
    13. Garry Ringrose (57)
    12. Rory O’Loughlin (51)
    11. James Lowe (22)
    10. Johnny Sexton (155) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (104)
    1. Cian Healy (199)
    2. James Tracy (79)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (93)
    4. Scott Fardy (32)
    5. James Ryan (23)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (152)
    7. Josh van der Flier (68)
    8. Jack Conan (82)

16. Bryan Byrne (33)
    17. Peter Dooley (55)
    18. Michael Bent (113)
    19. Ross Molony (74)
    20. Max Deegan (30)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (4)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (7)
    23. Noel Reid (109)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Dave Kearney ahead of Adam Byrne for Leinster, what the jaysus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement