Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Munster January Sales Thread AKA Munster V Leinster build up thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

troyzer wrote: »
    That wasn't my team I was talking about.

It was implicit.
    And yeah, if you're going to be gouged and not protected by the referee, then you have to fight fire with fire.

No, you don't. There is literally no scenario where I'd be happy with a Munster player eye-gouging another player.

The fact you can't see this (pun intended) means I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

This is a very disappointing build up thread.

Just goes to prove that Connacht are a more worthy adversary these days, even the build up is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

What are the two best possible teams, taking into account current injury lists?

I think the strongest Munster could be in my opinion is as follows:
    1. Kilcoyne, 2. Scannell, 3. Ryan,
    4. Beirne, 5. Kleyn,
    6. O’Mahony, 8. Stander, 7. O’Donnell,
    9. Murray, 10. Carbery,
    12. Scannell, 13. Taute,
    11. Earls, 15. Conway, 14. Sweetnam.

16. O’Byrne, 17. Loughman, 18. Archer, 19. Holland, 20. Botha, 21. Mathewson, 22. Hanrahan, 23. Arnold.

Injured: Brian Scott (foot), James Cronin (leg) Rhys Marshall (hamstring), Jack O’Donoghue (knee), Dave O’Callaghan (foot), James Hart (knee), Chris Farrell (thigh).

The selection above would leave reserves as follows, by position:
    1. Liam O’Connor, 2. Mike Sherry, 3. Ciaran Parker,
    4. Fineen Wycherley, 5. Darren O’Shea,
    6. Seán O’Connor, 8. Gavin Coombes, 7. Chris Cloete/Conor Oliver
    9. Neil Cronin/Duncan Williams, 10. Bill Johnston/Ian Keatley,
    12. Tyler Bleyendaal, 13. Dan Goggin/Shane Daly,
    11. Alex Wootton/Ronan O’Mahony, 15. Mike Haley, 14. Calvin Nash.

Either of Cloete or Haley are in with a shout to start but can’t see anyone else that’s borderline.

Could someone do a similar post for the Leinster squad please?
    Cheers

Full strength 23:

Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Ruddock, Van Der flier, Conan

McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, O'Loughlin, Ringrose, Larmour, R Kearney

B Byrne, E Byrne, Porter, Moloney, Leavy, JGP, R Byrne, A Byrne

Injured: J McGrath, S. O'Brien, Connors, Henshaw, Tomane, McFadden, B Daly.

Fardy not included due to Kolpak rules

Reserves:

Dooley, Tracy, Bent, M. Kearney, Fardy, Doris, Penney (a), Deegan
    O'Sullivan (a), Frawley (a), D. Kearney, Reid, C O'Brien(a), J O'Brien(a), Keenan (a)

(a) denotes academy player

T Daly and Nagle on loan
    N McCarthy signed for Munster next season

Think that's everyone and accurate...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

aloooof wrote: »
    That wasn't my team I was talking about.

It was implicit.
    And yeah, if you're going to be gouged and not protected by the referee, then you have to fight fire with fire.

No, you don't. There is literally no scenario where I'd be happy with a Munster player eye-gouging another player.

The fact you can't see this (pun intended) means I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this.

It's not implicit at all. I'm a Leinster fan. That's pretty obvious from all of my posts. I think I even mentioned that fact in that thread. Munster are not my team.

Eye gouging is so, so scummy. But if it's being done to you and nobody is stopping it, I don't see what choice you have.

The Munster of old had complete dogs like Alan Quinlan constantly eye gouging people. And it was that level of dog which won trophies.

It's unacceptable in today's game but you have to have it in your arsenal if a game descends into a brawl.

It's not implicit at all. I'm a Leinster fan. That's pretty obvious from all of my posts. I think I even mentioned that fact in that thread. Munster are not my team.

Eye gouging is so, so scummy. But if it's being done to you and nobody is stopping it, I don't see what choice you have.

The Munster of old had complete dogs like Alan Quinlan constantly eye gouging people. And it was that level of dog which won trophies.

It's unacceptable in today's game but you have to have it in your arsenal if a game descends into a brawl.

I don't think you understand what implicit means.

• Advertisement

I don't think you understand what implicit means.

I do understand what it means. I completely disagree that it was implied.

I do understand what it means. I completely disagree that it was implied.

In which case, I don't think you understand what "you" means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Bullllllls**t

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭flatty

Kevski wrote: »
    The Munster v Leinster buildup thread is as good a place as anywhere?

Ye lads seem to be spending more time discussing connacht, ulster, referees and eye gouging, so as good a place as any.
    I was also interested in a general, ie non biased perspective on it, so an ulster thread wouldn't be the best place.
    I'm connacht first, Ireland second, so I suppose I'm looking at it from an Irish rugby point. Too parochial here I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Think we’re a long time off scenes like this at a leinster vs Munster game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster have been beaten down by all the years of failure. No point in belabouring that fact anymore. When Leinster play Munster I just expect us to win. It leads to pretty boring build up threads but what can you do.

was he really? I don’t think that is even remotely close to being true.

Also eye gouging was never acceptable in any days game. It’s probably the most unacceptable thing you can do in the game and always was. I’m not sure where you get the idea from that it was. Maybe you’re part of the games gone soft brigade, who think GBH should be allowed.

stephen_n wrote: »

was he really? I don’t think that is even remotely close to being true.

Also eye gouging was never acceptable in any days game. It’s probably the most unacceptable thing you can do in the game and always was. I’m not sure where you get the idea from that it was. Maybe you’re part of the games gone soft brigade, who think GBH should be allowed.

Nah, constantly eye gouging is a bit far. But there was one high profile instance and I don't think anyone will dispute that in general, Quinlan was a filthy player.

I don't think the game has gone soft at all. I think if anything it's gone harder but now it's less arbitrary and more skill based.

Nah, constantly eye gouging is a bit far. But there was one high profile instance and I don't think anyone will dispute that in general, Quinlan was a filthy player.

I don't think the game has gone soft at all. I think if anything it's gone harder but now it's less arbitrary and more skill based.

And yet your suggesting players should quite literally go an eye for an eye.

stephen_n wrote: »

And yet your suggesting players should quite literally go an eye for an eye.

I don't think a few attempts to rough up Castres would have been unwarranted. I'm not the only person on boards or in general who thought they rolled over and didn't stand up for themselves.

I don't think a few attempts to rough up Castres would have been unwarranted. I'm not the only person on boards or in general who thought they rolled over and didn't stand up for themselves.

Yes but there is a massive difference between standing up and climbing into the gutter.

This is blindingly obvious but you can rough up / stand up for yourself without resorting to eye-gouging.

This is blindingly obvious but you can rough up / stand up for yourself without resorting to eye-gouging.

Fair enough, I'm willing to back down on that.

In any case, my point does stand. They were being absolutely battered and did nothing to stop it. The sanction for the eye gouge was laughably short as well. Castres got the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

flatty wrote: »
    Ye lads seem to be spending more time discussing connacht, ulster, referees and eye gouging, so as good a place as any.
    I was also interested in a general, ie non biased perspective on it, so an ulster thread wouldn't be the best place.
    I'm connacht first, Ireland second, so I suppose I'm looking at it from an Irish rugby point. Too parochial here I suspect.

Sounds like you're from a place akin to that cult down in Sallins co Kildare where they put themselves before their country instead of country first the honourable standpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Frank Murphy as ref? I smell a rat.

I'll never understand why the Unions don't swap referees for the derbies. Owens is calling the Cardiff game despite being from near Llanelli.

At least Munster won't have any excuses.

Well Munster need a little luck with them official's as they've had a few games this year where the officials have been piss poor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well Munster need a little luck with them official's as they've had a few games this year where the officials have been piss poor

Including the ref missing a shoulder charge off the ball in the last play of the game v Glasgow which Munster got a penalty for and cost Glasgow the game. It's not all one way

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Including the ref missing a shoulder charge off the ball in the last play of the game v Glasgow which Munster got a penalty for and cost Glasgow the game. It's not all one way

Oh I agree, but the castre & Leinster game the ref/ass ref were sh!T( not that it would have had any bearing on the Leinster game mind) there was also another pro14 game can't remember it was one Munster win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Oh I agree, but the castre & Leinster game the ref/ass ref were sh!T( not that it would have had any bearing on the Leinster game mind) there was also another pro14 game can't remember it was one Munster win

What did Whitehouse get So wrong in the Leinster game?

Leinster were bit lucky on the scrums but other then that??

Munster were a bit lucky on the scrums as well with POM's bind.

Tadgh bearne was pinged 2 times for hands in the ruck, despite supporting his own weight and not being the tackler. Some the driving at a scrumtime from the Leinster LH yet when Munster LH did the same he was pulled. And less said about Lowe's theatrics the better

No referee has ever pulled him, so maybe VDF or Leavy should try it, if it's that much of an advantage

No referee has ever pulled him, so maybe VDF or Leavy should try it, if it's that much of an advantage

They have actually. Apparently it was said to the referee after the Exeter game and since then, POM hasn't done it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Which is something he did on Irish duty throughout the 6N’s and Munster
    No one bothered about it then!

Whitehouse was piss poor in the Avila( when is he not really) and it wouldn’t of made a huge difference to the game, but some of his calls against Munster were dubious at best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement