Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    Sitting on someone is one way to keep someone the ground who’s determined to fight you. The fault is with the farmer who started it by resisting.

As regards numbers, your point being what? A greater numerical advantage decreases the chance of resistance and the chance of them being injured themselves. What’s so sinister about that?

The 70 that landed up last night obviously applied your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

JCJCJC wrote: »
    It was said here earlier that the loan was used to expand the farm, so they’re only recently on part of it. It could have been somebody else’s since the time of Fiona McCool before that but so what. How unreasonable is it for the bank to expect full repayments? If you put ten grand on deposit in a bank, would you be happy to get three grand back and go whistle for the rest of it?

The original part they will likely care about as much as you would care about your children. That's farmers I know anyway.

I don't mean they shouldn't pay but lesser payments over a longer term with reviews along the way. Farms can be very up and down over the long term so what's not possible to pay in lean times changes completely a few years later.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    The original part they will likely care about as much as you would care about your children. That's farmers I know anyway.

I don't mean they shouldn't pay but lesser payments over a longer term with reviews along the way. Farms can be very up and down over the long term so what's not possible to pay in lean times changes completely a few years later.

you know many farmers put their children up as loan collateral, do you

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Omackeral wrote: »
    tHeY WeReN't ReAl SeCuRiTy MeN

(Good way to avoid your question)

But they worked for a security company did they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nobody has explained -

1. How much was owed?
    2. Was there efforts made to recoup the losses rather than evict?
    3. Is there proof the security people were Northern Loyalists?
    4. Why was a retired garda assaulted and why no arrests if true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    Are the people on this forum at least in agreement that it was wrong and unlawful for a gang to assault the security men after the initial eviction?

Well obviously violence like this isn't gonna help resolve anything.

But at the same time, if it was my mother or father being hurt and there was a video of it doing a loop in my brain and they were in the house, I would want to hurt the security guys very very badly.

This is the problem, you are expecting very emotional people to act rational and these things don't blend well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Seems this case has been going on for over 5 years and legal fees are well in 6 figures

And people wonder why banks charge higher rates here that elsewhere?

If this was any other country, they would have been evicted within 3 months of not coming to a reasonable agreement and new owners would be in situ within 6 months.

So next time you look at your 3% to 4.5% mortgage, think of how much is subsidising non payers like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JJayoo wrote: »
    No I asked you a direct question and you avoided answering it, no problem thankfully boards has an ignore function

You asked a horesjit emotive question with nothing to do with the thread. Do you follow gards around shouting at them asking if they'd be ok with their father being handcuffed and thrown in a garda car when arrested?
    Your question is only designed to deflect and try get something you can point at and say "see see, you admit it's a disgrace"

Nobody has explained -

1. How much was owed?
    2. Was there efforts made to recoup the losses rather than evict?
    3. Is there proof the security people were Northern Loyalists?
    4. Why was a retired garda assaulted and why no arrests if true?

5. why does it matter what he was retired from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Several posters here have enquired as to how it came to this but no one is willing to give any info. One poster claiming to be a local said it's none of his business.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    . There was 8 of them against 2 men and a woman.

How many "non gender defined possible humans" were looking after the house when 70 people attacked it? Presumably unless there were 70 of them , you completely condemn every one of them and their actions?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The 70 that landed up last night obviously applied your logic.

Only in terms of their numbers. They carried out an actual beating. And they committed a crime. They’re the real scum in this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yep. Shut off access Irish companies have to operate and tender for business in 26 other countries. Bloody foreigners.........
    Don't get your knickers in a twist
    I'm only pointing out that it's the type of thing that could be used by a pro-Irexit crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mulbot

ismat wrote: »
    If they refuse to leave then what do you do ? Tbf the guards were there and didn’t see anything wrong with what the security guys did (from the reports ive seen). You would need a hardy crew of guys going on to repossess if you were expecting the response that came. We are going down s dangerous road if you can’t execute a court order due to being in fear of a gang of local thugs

Then you need to have the law enforcement of said country to act on removing the evictees.

We are going down a dangerous road when evictions can take place by private (illegally unidentified)"security personnel" using physical force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

the_syco wrote: »
    The video that I've seen is low res, but I'm wondering if the person being wrestled to the ground at the gate was even one of the people being evicted, or a neighbour?

I wonder if that is the ex-Guard ?

As that's going on there's someone on the video shouting 'That's one of yere own'.

Might be addressing the Guards there on duty ?

It would explain that maybe he thought what was happening was over the top and there was no justifiable reason for excessive force.

As that's going on there's someone on the video shouting 'That's one of yere own'.

Have you a link to that video please?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Well obviously violence like this isn't gonna help resolve anything.

But at the same time, if it was my mother or father being hurt and there was a video of it doing a loop in my brain and they were in the house, I would want to hurt the security guys very very badly.

This is the problem, you are expecting very emotional people to act rational and these things don't blend well.

Being emotionally upset doesn’t entitle you to break the law. You say your against violence but try to excuse their actions.

But are they not "elderly" ? How long can you extend loans to old people and realistically expect to see your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Also re the bank taking over the farm with presumably the intention to sell it - good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

It matters because he should have had more respect for the rule of law, he should have known from experience what was coming when he didnt pay back what he borrowed, he shouldn’t have put serving members in the horrible position he did, and he should have had enough common sense to walk away peaceably when the crunch finally came.
    And, he should be on the media this evening condemning the vigilantes who have committed criminal acts in his cause.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Don't get your knickers in a twist
    I'm only pointing out that it's the type of thing that could be used by a pro-Irexit crowd.

You were only "pointing out" about banks being loaned money too but you ignored the reply to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the Guards knew who he was, and let the security firm do whatever, I'd wonder was he a local troublemaker/annoyance since leaving the force?

If the Guards knew who he was, and let the security firm do whatever, I'd wonder was he a local troublemaker/annoyance since leaving the force?

Was he not one of the “elderly” brothers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Was he not one of the “elderly” brothers?

No. He's not even from Roscommon. He's a Longford man.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You were only "pointing out" about banks being loaned money too but you ignored the reply to that.
    There's been a lot if posts in this thread and it's easy to miss one.
    I seen one reply but just dismissed it as unimportant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

The seventy baseball bat artistes is down to twenty according to the RTÉ nine o’clock news this evening.

No idea. For all we know, he was a whistleblower when he was in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

mulbot wrote: »
    Then you need to have the law enforcement of said country to act on removing the evictees.

We are going down a dangerous road when evictions can take place by private (illegally unidentified)"security personnel" using physical force.
    I’m not sure as to the legalities of the eviction. I assume the Garda present would of intervened if an illegal eviction taking place or if the security personnel are not allowed work in the country. This would possibly be a matter for the sheriff that is enforcing the court warrant if his subcontractors were not entitled to work in the country.
    Evictions are a civil matter as far as I am aware so the Garda input is limited to protecting the personnel enforcing the warrant and they cannot by law interfere with the process

Advertisement