Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JCJCJC wrote:
    The seventy baseball bat artistes is down to twenty according to the RTÉ nine o’clock news this evening.

If it's the crowd from the north I have it from a good authority that it was 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eagle eye wrote: »
    There's been a lot if posts in this thread and it's easy to miss one.
    I seen one reply but just dismissed it as unimportant.

A lot of that going around when replies don't suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Should have left the dogs out of it... Bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Seems this case has been going on for over 5 years and legal fees are well in 6 figures

If this was any other country, they would have been evicted within 3 months of not coming to a reasonable agreement and new owners would be in situ within 6 months.

Disgrace.
    Bankers.
    Leo.
    Moustache.

A lot of that going around when replies don't suit
    Well as I said I only remember seen one reply and it wasn't important enough yo reply to imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

Seems this case has been going on for over 5 years and legal fees are well in 6 figures

And people wonder why banks charge higher rates here that elsewhere?

If this was any other country, they would have been evicted within 3 months of not coming to a reasonable agreement and new owners would be in situ within 6 months.

So next time you look at your 3% to 4.5% mortgage, think of how much is subsidising non payers like this.

This is just not true, and not the reason we pay 100% more in interest rates than rest of Europe. Do not defend the punitive high interest rates we have as this has nothing to do with this. Bank might want you to believe this is the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

JCJCJC wrote: »
    The seventy baseball bat artistes is down to twenty according to the RTÉ nine o’clock news this evening.

Only wish I was one of them

Mr Taylor, a Castlerea native and close friend of Anthony, continued: “At about 8.30am on Tuesday we were aware that there could be an eviction. Anthony was trying to deal with the bank [KBC Bank] and he told them he was happy to pay them so much a month, at least €1,000.

“But KBC Bank wouldn’t do any discussions with him whatsoever.

“They’ve lived there for generations and they would have paid back what they could have afforded if they got a fair chance.”

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Billcarson wrote: »
    Mr Taylor, a Castlerea native and close friend of Anthony, continued: “At about 8.30am on Tuesday we were aware that there could be an eviction. Anthony was trying to deal with the bank [KBC Bank] and he told them he was happy to pay them so much a month, at least €1,000.

“They’ve lived there for generations and they would have paid back what they could have afforded if they got a fair chance.”

So the bank should be happy with getting " whatever the borrower can afford" and not what they are owed? That's not how debts work.

If you went in to withdraw 5000 from your savings tomorrow and the bank said "sorry but we cant afford that, we'll give you 50 a week instead and maybe the full amount after a year if we have it"
    Presumably you'd say yeah that's grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

the_syco wrote: »
    If the Guards knew who he was, and let the security firm do whatever, I'd wonder was he a local troublemaker/annoyance since leaving the force?

A bit like Maurice McCabe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

First point.

If they were in financial trouble, why not sell off some of the land to pay down debt?

Second point.

Farms aren't sacrosanct just because they belong to the same family for generations. They are businesses like any other. Many shops, pubs etc have been repossessed even though they have been owned by the same family for generations.

Farmers aren't special. They have to pay their debts just like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    What were his injuries? And if he was violently resisting, why can’t the private security guys defend themselves.

they can defend themselves within reason, however one is also allowed to resist them given they are not the gards. only if one resists the police arresting or moving people on is there an issue.
    Are the people on this forum at least in agreement that it was wrong and unlawful for a gang to assault the security men after the initial eviction?

it was unlawful and the law machinery will do it's work.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

What a generous offer to repay at least a 1,000. How about paying back what is due. Or if they can’t make repayment sell some land , possibly the land they bought with the loan, and pay down some capital

So the bank should be happy with getting " whatever the borrower can afford" and not what they are owed? That's not how debts work.
    So you'd prefer that people are turfed out on the street?
    You do realise that if they agreed to take the money that they still have rights to the property until the debt is paid off?
    If you went in to withdraw 5000 from your savings tomorrow and the bank said "sorry but we cant afford that, we'll give you 50 a week instead and maybe the full amount after a year if we have it" Presumably you'd say yeah that's grand?
    I don't think that's the same thing. Are you saying that I'm loaning the bank money when I put it in a savings account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

A bit like Gerry McCabe?

Get your names right ffs.

If you went in to withdraw 5000 from your savings tomorrow and the bank said "sorry but we cant afford that, we'll give you 50 a week instead and maybe the full amount after a year if we have it"

Why don't you go and kiss your bank managers ass since your all for the banks. At least they tried to come to some sort of arrangement. Wtf is your problem.

Banks dont work like that they dont keep your cash, they keep a small percentage and loan the rest, if we all wanted our money out what you describe above is exactly would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

farming loans are structured completely differently to regular mortgages. everyone understands that farming yields and hence profits can vary a lot from year to year, depending on weather etc. just look at the disastrous year the vegetable growers have had this year due to the drought. banks are aware of this and loan repayments are usually structured to cater for this. a farmer does not repay loans on a monthly basis but often a once yearly payment in a lot of cases.

ismat wrote: »
    What a generous offer to repay at least a 1,000. How about paying back what is due. Or if they can’t make repayment sell some land , possibly the land they bought with the loan, and pay down some capital

What's wrong with you people. The poor banks eh. They would shake you by the hand and stab you with the other. Bunch of mefeiners. Well I just hope this country changes and fights against the elite scum that are running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

klaaaz wrote: »
    A loyalist eviction squad has been evicted in Roscommon! :D The comments on the video has been quite supportive of the raid, this is maybe a turning point in the eviction war.

And will you be on at some stage in future bitching and moaning because you or your kids can't get a mortgage or can't afford the high interest rates.
    The problem is not enough fooking freeloaders have been evicted.
    back in 2008 when the government was going to bail out the banks they should have cut x% off all mortgages taken out between 2004 and 2008 (or something like that)

you know if they were going to put the money in anyway and charge us all for it and cut and tax for it all anyway

So tough shyte if you took out a mortgage some other time ehh. :rolleyes:

I am sick and fooking tired of Irish people thinking that they have some god given fooking right to walk away from their debts scot free.

First it was because they were missled, because the ar** fell out of the property prices and the loans far outweighed the property value.
    Now it appears farmers are somehow immune because they lived their for generations and because of a historical context ala 150 years ago.

We had one of the world's highest rates of mortgages in default yet we had one of the lowest repossession rates.

And do you know who carries the can for that.
    It is the poor dumb bastards, the honest ones that break their ar**es every month to repay their loans.
    It is not as some would play it some mythical banker that suffers, it is the ones whose interest rates are high, the ones whose bank charges are high.

Pay your fooking debts or else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Should have left the dogs out of it... Bastards
    I'd say the dogs owner and a few friends will be back down for some revenge.

If they're elderly, how much will they be realistically be able to pay back?
    A bit like Gerry McCabe?
    What? How is getting murdered by the IRA anything to do with this?
    Why don't you go and kiss your bank managers ass since your all for the banks. At least they tried to come to some sort of arrangement. Wtf is your problem.
    Problem is that they probably owed a fcuktonne more than they were prepared to pay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

they can defend themselves within reason, however one is also allowed to resist them given they are not the gards. only if one resists the police arresting or moving people on is there an issue.

it was unlawful and the law machinery will do it's work.

Why are they allowed to resist security guards doing their jobs? The Gardaí were there to make sure they didn’t use excessive force so obviously they were sanctioned to carry out forced evictions. It’s like saying you’ve the right to resist a bouncer when they throw you out of a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The farm is their job as well as their home. By job I mean the means of making money. So if they sell off some land, the sale may not make enough to pay back the loan and now they are even less able to make repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He's quite rightly pointing out that if you can't afford to pay a loan back then the institution who gave you the money in good faith have every right and even an obligation to recover their investment. We don't know the specifics of this case but it appears the issue has been going on a while without resolution. I'd be interested who was advising the evicted brothers? I too am interested as to why they didn't sell off some of the land to repay the loan?

As I said already the circumstances of the eviction need to be looked at, especially the sub contractors involved.

What really needs to be sorted is identifying the vigilantes who carried out the assaults this morning and prosecuting them. Otherwise we'll see this thugs getting emboldened further. I wonder is there any correlation with the hotel burned down in Moyville recently?

Why are they allowed to resist security guards doing their jobs? The Gardaí were there to make sure they didn’t use excessive force so obviously they were sanctioned to carry out forced evictions. It’s like saying you’ve the right to resist a bouncer when they throw you out of a pub

In the video they do not appear to be wearing either ID or security badges.

Is this not a legal requirement for security personnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

34 pages and counting of speculation here ffs. Does anyone have the facts of what kicked this off
    So far we only have
    3 elderly siblings
    3rd generation living on the land
    never married
    obviously done something to pee of the bank
    Bank repossess
    Locals didn't like the heavy handed approach by the banks security firm.
    And supposedly threw them a welcome party last night.

Doesn't add up why they would borrow heavily against the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

jmayo wrote: »
    And will you be on at some stage in future bitching and moaning because you or your kids can't get a mortgage or can't afford the high interest rates.
    The problem is not enough fooking freeloaders have been evicted.

So tough shyte if you took out a mortgage some other time ehh. :rolleyes:

I am sick and fooking tired of Irish people thinking that they have some god given fooking right to walk away from their debts scot free.

First it was because they were missled, because the ar** fell out of the property prices and the loans far outweighed the property value.
    Now it appears farmers are somehow immune because they lived their for generations and because of a historical context ala 150 years ago.

We had one of the world's highest rates of mortgages in default yet we had one of the lowest repossession rates.

And do you know who carries the can for that.
    It is the poor dumb bastards, the honest ones that break their ar**es every month to repay their loans.
    It is not as some would play it some mythical banker that suffers, it is the ones whose interest rates are high, the ones whose bank charges are high.

Pay your fooking debts or else.

I agree. My problem was with the use of loyalist eviction squads. Surely there is a Dublin firm who could have done the eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

coming to an arrangement to pay something is how a responsible lender would work, within reason obviously. at least 1000 euros however that could be more, is the figure it is claimed he was willing to pay the bank. so he was willing to pay. if it's a choice between the bank getting a lesser payment and us paying to house the evictee, the bank can take the lesser payment. they are more likely to get that money all be it later, then they may be now.

it's not always that simple nor always a viable option. selling land may in turn effect the viability of the business as there will be less output because there is less land to work which in turn means less income. if selling land was the best option to pay down debt then it would be the default option rather then trying to engage with the bank to reduce the payments.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

34 pages and counting of speculation here ffs. Does anyone have the facts of what kicked this off
    So far we only have
    3 elderly siblings

Not really elderly. Two mid 50's and the other early 60's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

What's wrong with you people. The poor banks eh. They would shake you by the hand and stab you with the other. Bunch of mefeiners. Well I just hope this country changes and fights against the elite scum that are running it.
    I couldn’t care less about the banks. I want people to pay back what they borrowed. Do you think you can borrow money and not pay it back and it has no effect on the vast majority of people who actually pay their debts and honour the agreements they signed ? Ever guy who is playing the system is treating the honest person as a c*nt and I am sick of it. I’m sick of paying for these parasites and I hope every single one of them gets what is coming to them

Advertisement