Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Soft day here in Galway
    mX5zicR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

m17 wrote: »
    Soft day here in Galway

You can say that again, Jaysus I'm absolutely soaked

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You can say that again, Jaysus I'm absolutely soaked

Just in case you or any others miss (I forgot to put it in here again :o ).

Thread for the wet and windy conditions for today and tomorrow:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057932177&page=13

December and Winter forecast contest thread is now open:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057932821

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

sryanbruen wrote: »
    For curiosity sakes, here's Dunsany's November monthly rainfall totals from 1964 to 2017 (and 2018 up to the 26th) - including at its old manual station. It has no data for November 2007 so did not include.

rCd9ZIK.png

Here's the top 10 wettest from above:

CsRld4K.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Based on this chart and what Ive seen from mickger844posts station, have we a 'wettest November on record' in parts of the country?

pp_me wrote: »
    Based on this chart and what Ive seen from mickger844posts station, have we a 'wettest November on record' in parts of the country?

Very busy on the Winter forecast at the moment but will look at a few stations and their wettest Novembers on record when I can for you. I suspect it has been in localised spots of the southeast especially for climate stations (not the synoptic stations) which we won't have access to data to for a good few months. For now, can only compare the synoptic stations for November 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Very busy on the Winter forecast at the moment but will look at a few stations and their wettest Novembers on record when I can for you. I suspect it has been in localised spots of the southeast especially for climate stations (not the synoptic stations) which we won't have access to data to for a good few months. For now, can only compare the synoptic stations for November 2018.

No worries, just thinking out loud. Looking very wet down this side of the country and November is not quite done yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport had 358.1mm in November 1999 which is the wettest since official records started in 1959 at the station.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

No worries, just thinking out loud. Looking very wet down this side of the country and November is not quite done yet

plenty of rain between now and the final second of November 2018 yet to come. So far at Dunsany, this November is certainly one of the wettest Novembers I can remember.

So far it's the second wettest month of the year, March was also extremely wet this year and we finished with 159.1mm of rain for March. November 2015 has a total of 144.3mm of rain.

If we get another 30mm of rain over the next 4 days, we may beat November 2015. November 2009 is the one to beat tho with over 200mm of rain in that month, I don't think we'll even get close to beating that this month.

Galway 27/11/18 14.25 temperature 8°C
    66rFUXr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice afternoon now (Westport town)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    plenty of rain between now and the final second of November 2018 yet to come. So far at Dunsany, this November is certainly one of the wettest Novembers I can remember.

So far it's the second wettest month of the year, March was also extremely wet this year and we finished with 159.1mm of rain for March. November 2015 has a total of 144.3mm of rain.

If we get another 30mm of rain over the next 4 days, we may beat November 2015. November 2009 is the one to beat tho with over 200mm of rain in that month, I don't think we'll even get close to beating that this month.

I'm getting side swiped by a fairly big shower. Gonzo, it looks like the shower may pass over you. Possibly just to your south but I think it has your name on it. Possibly another couple of millimetres for from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

highdef wrote: »
    I'm getting side swiped by a fairly big shower. Gonzo, it looks like the shower may pass over you. Possibly just to your south but I think it has your name on it. Possibly another couple of millimetres for from it.

it's heading towards me alright but weakening rapidly as it does so.

Here's a table of the wettest Novembers on record for selected Irish stations that I promised.

*closed station
    **the historical database does not cover the whole station's recorded history so far, therefore uncertain on if it's the actual wettest November at the station

November 2018 does not look like beating any after a quick check at their current totals even the southeast station of Johnstown Castle which has seen a very wet month, still somewhat pales in comparison to the exceptional wet nature of November 2009.

lItJDSQ.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That's a wet night out , strange looking raudar return over Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Torrential rain most of the night here and still falling

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

been blissfully quiet out here, then a sudden deafening deluge.. west mayo offshore

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dodged a bit of a wind bullet there. Near storm force (sustained) winds (with stronger gusts) running up the east Irish Sea this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes this system was mentioned on the storm thread yesterday. At around 7 this morning the Isles Of Scilly were getting gusts of 70mph+, but it has moved up the Irish Sea pretty rapidly.

torrential rain here all the through the night, only stopped earlier this morning. Driveway completely waterlogged.

Looks grand for a while then a sudden deluge. Not kind!

• Advertisement

Athlone 29/11/18 12.10 temperature 10°C
    MRZczSn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Dirty black clouds have just decided to dump their contents here in Waterford.

It has turned into a wild and stormy afternoon out here. Was thinking of a walk but not in this.... a day to relish the turf fire glowing.. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Some strikes showing up in Donegal and off the coast of wexford

Cappataggle co galway 29/11/18 19.15 temperature 6°C
    QAmj4kn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

A fairwell then to autumn. If not to autumn weather.

Autumn was decent up to the last few days of October. October was a really nice month. November however has been awful, one of the worst months I can remember in a long time. It seems like it's just rained almost continuously from start to finish, the past 2 weeks have been particularly bad with very little sun until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Absolutely awful evening here in Letterkenny, radar not doing those showers justice at all. Sheets of torrential rain and hail pounding against the windows and very gusty and squally

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A blustery night across the west

11pm reports
    Mace head gusting 44 knots
    Knock 34 knots
    Belmullet 34 knots
    Finner 33 knots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Gonzo wrote: »
    Autumn was decent up to the last few days of October. October was a really nice month. November however has been awful, one of the worst months I can remember in a long time. It seems like it's just rained almost continuously from start to finish, the past 2 weeks have been particularly bad with very little sun until today.

Here here, absolutely terrible even by our low standards. I don't mind most weather but the relentless dampness we have to put up with for spells would wear you down at times!

Advertisement