Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gonzo wrote: »
    still raining here, been raining non stop here since about 9am yesterday. Gutters are all overflowing and water-logging throughout the driveway, garden is starting to feel more like a swamp. Easily 30+ continuous hours of rain here now.

I know how you feel, was like that here in Cork City last week and the week before, non stop. Thankfully its been ok the last few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

still raining here, been raining non stop here since about 9am yesterday. Gutters are all overflowing and water-logging throughout the driveway, garden is starting to feel more like a swamp. Easily 30+ continuous hours of rain here now.

next week is starting to look very unsettled too, this is one incredibly wet month at my location.

You have probably had the worst weather in the whole country these last two days. Even here in Dublin we had some breaks from the rain and a few minutes of sun. It is frustrating to think what would've happened if it was a few degrees colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Alex Deakin is way to Happy headed with his 10 day forecast.
    :D
    He knows something is a foot.

If anyone has seen it, its something to behold....

We see the JET "bifurcates....." ;)

Cold V Mild......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    You have probably had the worst weather in the whole country these last two days. Even here in Dublin we had some breaks from the rain and a few minutes of sun. It is frustrating to think what would've happened if it was a few degrees colder.

it finally seems to have stopped raining!

hoping for some dry spells tomorrow so that I can at least get outside for a walk. The ground here will be wet for days even if it doesn't rain over next few days.

If everything had fallen as snow it would have been a crazy amount of snow, probably just as much as Storm Emma last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

it finally seems to have stopped raining!

hoping for some dry spells tomorrow so that I can at least get outside for a walk. The ground here will be wet for days even if it doesn't rain over next few days.

If everything had fallen as snow it would have been a crazy amount of snow, probably just as much as Storm Emma last year.

Be thankful for small mercies so!

Heavy showers starting to come into Cork City mixed with hail. I cursed us with my last post :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Athlone 22/11/18 8.45 temperature 5°C
    MwoLhNB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Alex Deakin is way to Happy headed with his 10 day forecast.
    I seen that forecast and I have to say, Deakin and some of his UK Met forecasting colleagues become almost ridiculously 'animated' when they give a TV forecast. I honestly thought he was going to break out into a full dance last night as he was reading a chart. I get that they obviously have a huge amount of passion for their job, but it just comes across as being comical to be honest. I think I prefer the somewhat more reserved approach of our own Met forecasters.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Major Convection clouds building just out to sea and passing over Passage east last night
    32128233298_865b76beef_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Heavy showers starting to come into Cork City mixed with hail. I cursed us with my last post :p

Yes I think you did. There were some heavy showers in my area overnight and again today. Cold showers as well but all of rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mostly sunny and cool today so far, no rain as of yet. Ground still saturated after a 2 day rain event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

next week is starting to look very unsettled too, this is one incredibly wet month at my location.

Welcome to our world Gonzo! That's what it's like in the south west a lot of the time. It actually seems weird to be enjoying a crisp,dry week here and to see you guys wading through something like our normal Atlantic muck.

Now ye see what we have to put up with.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

acequion wrote: »
    Welcome to our world Gonzo! That's what it's like in the south west a lot of the time. It actually seems weird to be enjoying a crisp,dry week here and to see you guys wading through something like our normal Atlantic muck.

Now ye see what we have to put up with.:D

When will we pay for this ......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Cork and Waterford

Frequent showers merging to longer spells of rain at times during the period, will lead to accumulations of 25 to 35mm in some parts, particularly near the south coast.

Issued: Thursday 22 November 2018 16:00

Updated: Thursday 22 November 2018 16:00

Valid from Friday 23 November 2018 02:00 to Saturday 24 November 2018 02:00

Looks like it as Dunsany (the closest synoptic station to Gonzo) had a daily rainfall of 27.6mm yesterday, the highest of all the stations. Second highest was Dublin Airport at 18.9mm.

Just saw that yellow weather warning for Cork. *sigh*

Was bitterly cold today and yesterday here with an easterly strong wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just back from a walk and was absolutely DRENCHED! Wasn’t expecting this rain tonight and it’s bloody freezing and breezy enough too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Really can’t understand the love for the cold here it’s bloody miserable out cold breezy wet. Give me mild benign boring weather any day. Sorry folks.

Really can’t understand the love for the cold here it’s bloody miserable out cold breezy wet. Give me mild benign boring weather any day. Sorry folks.

The love for cold for me is when it's sunny, frosty or snowy. Rain and cold or cloudy and cold is depressing, the worst!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

leahyl wrote: »
    Just back from a walk and was absolutely DRENCHED! Wasn’t expecting this rain tonight and it’s bloody freezing and breezy enough too!

I went for a drive, it was nice and dry. And with the Aircon on there was quite a warm breeze.

:)

But as above said a nice sharp frosty day with the sun splitting. But as soon as you hit the shade it's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The love for cold for me is when it's sunny, frosty or snowy. Rain and cold or cloudy and cold is depressing, the worst!

I actually prefer rain and cold over rain and mild because you can at least feel really cosy indoors. Either way you're going to get drenched when you're outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

I actually prefer rain and cold over rain and mild because you can at least feel really cosy indoors. Either way you're going to get drenched when you're outside.

Not for me. I've a dog so need to go for a walk at least three times a day. Hate rain and/or wind but warm rain is a lot more bearable that cold rain.

Apart from that, if it's cold I want the precipitation to be snow and not rain. Nothing worse that it being about 2c and lashing rain when it could be a 1c or so colder and it be snowing instead......snow makes dog walking a lot more bearable than rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sryanbruen wrote: »

Today was a perfect kind of cold day for me, in Dublin. Sunny, crisp, not too windy, and completely dry. Beautiful sunset too.

Give me that any day over mildness, because mild winter days = rainy muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Agree 100%. For me the worst of the whole lot is rainy and mild. That's clammy,sweaty and utterly yucky. At least rainy and cold doesn't have you in a lather of sweat and just as Artane says, you can get all nice and cosy inside.

I love cold, a dry unhumid cold,where you can wrap right up. I don't mind cloudy at all once it's dry. Sometimes cloudy days are calm and pleasant to walk or drive around in,whereas sun, especially the low winter sun, can dazzle you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I generally agree with your posts but a good frosty morning is far more pleasant that dark gloomy mild weather at this time of year. Lovely day here in Letterkenny today, plenty of sunshine and a nice crisp evening with a very bright moon. Beautiful sunrise this morning as well with fog being illuminated in the valley, was driving so couldn't get a pic but one of the better sunrises I've seen

Awful morning in Cork City. Wet. Been raining since about 7/8ish yesterday through the night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Be careful out there this black Friday theres black ice
    ctrmB7s.jpg
    Tuam Co galway 23/11/18 6.35 temperature 0°C

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Awful morning in Cork City. Wet. Been raining since about 7/8ish yesterday through the night

Yep I woke up at 5:30am and the rain was belting off the window. I don't think it's eased off much in those two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just drove to work in one of the most intense downpours i've ever experienced! Unbelievable, cars were going so slow. I've arrived safely anyway :)

Advertisement