Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day here in Kerry, the air was so crisp and clear, down to 5.9C now from a high of 9.1C.

Pic Glenteenassig 13.00 approx

MRFVSsB.jpg?1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

/\ /\

Stunning picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Glenteenassig is a stunning spot, I'm down in Castlegregory a few times a year and it's always on the list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Glenteenassig is a stunning spot, I'm down in Castlegregory a few times a year and it's always on the list.

It sure is, been going up there since I was a young fella , a bit bare in patches since they harvested a lot of the wood but young trees coming on again .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 25/11/18 17.15 temperature 5°C
    XzcV2CG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

It sure is, been going up there since I was a young fella , a bit bare in patches since they harvested a lot of the wood but young trees coming on again .

Different kind of view now but still nice :)

The walkway around the lake is really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Raining again here.

Edit: Its a downpour now

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Different kind of view now but still nice :)

The walkway around the lake is really well done.

There you go MidMan , took this also today as I was walking on the said walkway ..... to bring back a few memories :)

SYVGEsU.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

There you go MidMan , took this also today as I was walking on the said walkway ..... to bring back a few memories :)

SYVGEsU.jpg?1

It's my neck of the woods as well,one of our many treasures here in Kerry. As the weather add goes: Our weather's not perfect, but that's ok, our scenery is.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the photos being posted here from the West are hard to believe, it's like another world, let alone another country or county. I'm so sick of the dark grey skies and rain which has plagued us since the start of the month. 2 weeks of Atlantic muck followed by an entire week of torrential rain and very cold temperatures, now we're going straight back into another minimum 2 weeks of Atlantic muck.

• Advertisement

Lashing rain again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭giveitholly

According to the news just now on today fm storm Diana is set to sweep in tonight across the country!!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been outside filling coal bucket then fetching turf ,,,, that wind is a knife of ice. To the east, a magnificent rose- gold rift in the heavy clouds as the sun broke through..

The ocean is a mirror of calm.
    west mayo offshore island

Still raining

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Galway and Mayo

Heavy rainfall later tonight and for a time on Tuesday. 20-30mm is expected to fall over a short period, leading to some surface flooding. Higher totals are expected in mountainous areas.

Issued: Monday 26 November 2018 09:00

Updated: Monday 26 November 2018 09:00

Valid from Tuesday 27 November 2018 02:00 to Tuesday 27 November 2018 14:00

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Southeasterly winds will strengthen tonight and during Tuesday. Mean speeds of 50-65km/hr with gusts from 90-100km/hr expected, possibly higher along exposed coasts.

Valid from Tuesday 27 November 2018 03:00 to Tuesday 27 November 2018 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

November so far has been wetter than all three summer months combined at Dublin Airport and by month's end it could be wetter than May-August... we only need 15.1mm more to achieve that.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Galway and Mayo

Heavy rainfall later tonight and for a time on Tuesday. 20-30mm is expected to fall over a short period, leading to some surface flooding. Higher totals are expected in mountainous areas.

Valid from Tuesday 27 November 2018 02:00 to Tuesday 27 November 2018 14:00

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Southeasterly winds will strengthen tonight and during Tuesday. Mean speeds of 50-65km/hr with gusts from 90-100km/hr expected, possibly higher along exposed coasts.

Valid from Tuesday 27 November 2018 03:00 to Tuesday 27 November 2018 15:00

Southeasterly has us cut off immediately here. A wakeful night ahead too. west mayo offshore island

Lashing rain again

Yep, miserable in Dundalk again today. Those showers from the Irish sea are incredibly persistent. If it was only a bit colder......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    November so far has been wetter than all three summer months combined at Dublin Airport and by month's end it could be wetter than May-August... we only need 15.1mm more to achieve that.

I've just totaled up the rainfall amounts for Dunsany, my local station, and so far this month the station has recorded 112.9mm of rain since November 1st, and with 5 more days of November yet to add to that total, I can see this month finishing on about 135mm or possibly more once this weeks rain is totaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The normal showery weather in the west is now in the east. Another clear day here after 2.5 poor months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I know it mentions munster but reading that warning you would think cork kerry waterford were not listed. Only looking at the map really shows the counties listed

I've decided to take a look at the rainfall amounts at Dunsany over a 6 month period prior to November 1st and this is what was recorded by Met Eireann.

May 2018 - 31.2mm
    June 2018 – 11.4mm
    July 2018 – 41.9mm
    August 2018 – 56.6mm
    September 2018 – 42.9mm
    October 2018 – 52.8

The total combined rainfall over the 6 month period of 1st May 2018 to 31st October 2018 is 236.8mm.

The first 25 days of November has recorded 112.9mm which is close to half the amount of rain that we saw in the previous 6 months! Much of that rain has fallen over the past week alone!.

The normal showery weather in the west is now in the east. Another clear day here after 2.5 poor months.

Along with the associated humidity! Even when not raining it really has been rotten here the last few days.

Its Sunny!!!!!

Its Sunny!!!!!

Dazzlingly sunny! west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Bright and trés cold in Meath.

This Atlantic weather front that is expected, did I see/hear some snow on higher ground reported on BBC weather of the week. How does that occur coming from the Atlantic?

Plenty rain forecast to fill the wells.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wont be long now before the south west starts seeing the rain
    C4K8biz.png
    Kutebride wrote: »
    Bright and trés cold in Meath.

This Atlantic weather front that is expected, did I see/hear some snow on higher ground reported on BBC weather of the week. How does that occur coming from the Atlantic?

Plenty rain forecast to fill the wells.
    BBC does mention snow on higher ground thursday and more gales on Friday

colder here and breezy already... west mayo offshore island

managed to stay dry here all day with some pleasant sunshine. The shift in the winds to a more south-easterly direction shifted the showers further north with the wales shadow keeping us rain free. Despite being a dry day, the ground is still saturated but it was great to finally go outside and enjoy a proper walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    managed to stay dry here all day with some pleasant sunshine. The shift in the winds to a more south-easterly direction shifted the showers further north with the wales shadow keeping us rain free. Despite being a dry day, the ground is still saturated but it was great to finally go outside and enjoy a proper walk.

For curiosity sakes, here's Dunsany's November monthly rainfall totals from 1964 to 2017 (and 2018 up to the 26th) - including at its old manual station. It has no data for November 2007 so did not include.

rCd9ZIK.png

Here's the top 10 wettest from above:

CsRld4K.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Advertisement