Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - Mullingar to Rooskey [route options published]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭SeanW

Geuze wrote: »
    Our aim should be to discourage car use, and encourage modal shift in cities.

Building 12 lane roads is not the future.
    Your aim is to discourage car use.

The aim of most people should be is to provide an appropriate transport policy that includes public transport, other non-motorised users etc. as part of an inclusive transport policy that applies the correct solution to the correct problem. I.E. bypasses of towns, widening of motorways that are maxed out. It should also include DART expansion/Metro in Dublin, Luases in the other cities.

There may not be a need for a 12 lane motorway right now, but to categorically state that one should never be built anywhere, under any circumstances ... is questionable to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Any update on this scheme.

What movement on it can we expect in 2019?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Any update on this scheme.

What movement on it can we expect in 2019?
    Should expect initial planning and route selection to start in early 2019.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »
    Should expect initial planning and route selection to start in early 2019.
    Confirmed by Shane Ross in the Seanad during the week that this will proceed to planning & design in early 2019 having passed pre appraisal stage.

Plan is for 52km of upgrade between the Mullingar bypass and Rooskey bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I stopped outside mullingar for a bit dinner the other day and took picture of an article about the road in the local paper

• Advertisement

Tender issued for consultants for Phases 1-4 for this scheme:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=149743&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Expected €6.5m, 44 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

how many years off are we till shovels are in the ground?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    how many years off are we till shovels are in the ground?
    Probably won't start before 2025 being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

infacteh wrote: »

Implies submission to ABP in late 2022/early 2023. That’s assuming no setbacks. A long way to go on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

AECOM ROD have picked this up subject to alcatel

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Any confirmation of spec?
    Motorway or 2+2? Should be M in my opinion. North west of the country needs at least one motorway, though I know it'll never be that spec as far as Sligo.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Motorway or 2+2? Should be M in my opinion. North west of the country needs at least one motorway, though I know it'll never be that spec as far as Sligo.
    Long way away from that yet, it's only just started planning.

The northern end will definitely be 2+2 anyway, but there is a case for extending Type 1 DC from Mullingar, possibly as far as Longford although traffic figures are around 12k there.

There will be question marks about it being motorway due to the section of N4 south of Mullingar that isn't up to standards. The service areas on the Mullingar bypass are an issue too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nowhere needs a motorway unless traffic volumes say it's necessary. If 2+2 is enough to meet future requirements then that is what should be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,518 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Nowhere needs a motorway unless traffic volumes say it's necessary. If 2+2 is enough to meet future requirements then that is what should be built.

Sections of inter urbans built have lower aadt but got built to make a full e2e motorway.

In the case of sligo theres probably no need and not going to happen though

roadmaster wrote: »
    Good stuff. Website was overdue on this so good to see it up and running

This route would be quite transformative for the area - 500 at grade junctions on the existing route is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭SeanW

We just have to cross our fingers and hope that the Greens aren't able to kill it.

Traffic counts underway:
    Traffic Surveys get underway on Monday 21st September as part of the N4 Mullingar to Longford (Roosky) project. Tracsis Traffic Data Ltd. are undertaking these surveys on behalf of Westmeath County Council and will commence setting up their survey equipment this weekend, 18th September. It is planned to have these surveys completed and survey equipment removed by the 9th October.

Whilst the majority of the survey work will be undertaken along the N4 corridor between Mullingar and Longford (Roosky) we would like the public to know that the survey team will be on the ground in counties Longford, Leitrim, Roscommon and Westmeath. Survey locations will include National Primary and Secondary Roads including the N4, N5, N52, N55 and N63, and also some other regional and local roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Are they counting numbers of vehicles? Would such a survey not produce questionable data given the way many of us are leading our lives at present? I'm pretty sure if my usual daily commute was surveyed at the moment the results would be all over the place, I and many others haven't done the commute since mid March due to the current working from home policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Are they counting numbers of vehicles? Would such a survey not produce questionable data given the way many of us are leading our lives at present? I'm pretty sure if my usual daily commute was surveyed at the moment the results would be all over the place, I and many others haven't done the commute since mid March due to the current working from home policies.
    they are counting traffic im afraid several of those counter ropes along various places.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its far from ideal to do it now, but its required as part of the planning process and they will be able to apply some correction factor based on the drop on other fixed counters.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its far from ideal to do it now, but its required as part of the planning process and they will be able to apply some correction factor based on the drop on other fixed counters.

Drive through Virginia last week over a traffic counter. The place was empty compared to previous covid the same situation as n4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I was thinking before that the N4 should be extended on a route between Newtown Forbes and Termonbarry and then split. The N4 going north to join the Roosky dualer and a short section of SC N5 continuing west to join the decent SC west of Termonbarry which will feed into the Balla to Scramoge project. It would involve crossing the Shannon twice but would also incorporate a bypass of Termonbarry and see N5 traffic continue on a higher quality quality N4 for longer, rather than getting dizzy on all the roundabouts around Longford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It always amazes me how they can show maps on a really outdated base map. The N5 Longford bypass is not shown on the routes map on the consultation website (though it is in the Information Brochure PDF).

Still no word on what standard this will be built to.

• Advertisement

It always amazes me how they can show maps on a really outdated base map. The N5 Longford bypass is not shown on the routes map on the consultation website (though it is in the Information Brochure PDF).

Still no word on what standard this will be built to.

I could have and probably did pick this up wrong but Are they not going with type 2 dual carriageway and renaming that type of road Expressway

Advertisement