Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

N4 - Mullingar to Rooskey [route options published]

124»

Comments

• Agreed. I made a submission stating that they should include a direct link between the N5 and the new N4, otherwise N5 traffic will just rat run around Longford trying to get to the nearest junction to join the N4.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I was thinking before that the N4 should be extended on a route between Newtown Forbes and Termonbarry and then split. The N4 going north to join the Roosky dualer and a short section of SC N5 continuing west to join the decent SC west of Termonbarry which will feed into the Balla to Scramoge project. It would involve crossing the Shannon twice but would also incorporate a bypass of Termonbarry and see N5 traffic continue on a higher quality quality N4 for longer, rather than getting dizzy on all the roundabouts around Longford.

• Drove this route yesterday. The arch bridge at the western end of the bypass looks very very tight for a dual carriageway. Will the bridge have to be knocked or will they be able to break away the rock embankment to make room and carry out some works on the bridge to strengthen it and keep it in place?

• roadmaster wrote: »
    Drove this route yesterday. The arch bridge at the western end of the bypass looks very very tight for a dual carriageway. Will the bridge have to be knocked or will they be able to break away the rock embankment to make room and carry out some works on the bridge to strengthen it and keep it in place?

Looks the right width for 2+2 me.

Seems there is a couple of feet each side could be taken away to make it wide enough for HQDC/Motorway.

• Looks the right width for 2+2 me.

Seems there is a couple of feet each side could be taken away to make it wide enough for HQDC/Motorway.

Maybe its just the way I was looking but i taught with an outside lane pushed further out the clearance for artics could be tight

• roadmaster wrote: »
    Maybe its just the way I was looking but i taught with an outside lane pushed further out the clearance for artics could be tight

Yeah, I know what you mean.

2+2, from memory, is the same overall width as the old WS2 roads.

• Advertisement

• marno21 wrote: »
    Route options published:

Virtual consultation: https://consultation.n4mullingartolongford.ie/

Consultation runs until tomorrow for those interested in making a submission.

• Yeah, I know what you mean.

2+2, from memory, is the same overall width as the old WS2 roads.

Sort-of. While 2+2 is usually a bit wider than the old WS2, certain sections of WS2 road can actually be wider than a 2+2.

2+2 = 15.5 metres (3.5+3.5 each way, 1.5 central median), or 16.5 with the hard-strips on each side included.

WS2 = 15.0 metres (5 metre lane each way, plus a 2.5 m shoulder on each side). But, for sections with large number of junctions, this was allowed to increase to 17.0 metres in order to to allow for right-turning islands.

• KrisW1001 wrote: »
    Sort-of. While 2+2 is usually a bit wider than the old WS2, certain sections of WS2 road can actually be wider than a 2+2.

2+2 = 15.5 metres (3.5+3.5 each way, 1.5 central median), or 16.5 with the hard-strips on each side included.

WS2 = 15.0 metres (5 metre lane each way, plus a 2.5 m shoulder on each side). But, for sections with large number of junctions, this was allowed to increase to 17.0 metres in order to to allow for right-turning islands.

Thanks very much for that info, I never knew the exacts.

• Does anyone know when a preferred route corridor might be selected for this, or do the existing options have to be 'refined' first?

• Bump!!!! Also wondering when there will be an update on this now that it's been stated that it's still very much on the roadmap, pun intended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement