Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The Ira were a terrorist orgainisation. The brittish army was supppsed to be a legitimate and they were far from it.

Even more reason to shoot them dead so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Even more reason to shoot them dead so.

Harrowing details at the inquest into the murder by the BA of 10 civilians, including a mother of 8. Still waiting for justice while their killers lifestyle is subsidised by the purchase of poppies . https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-46208297

klaaaz wrote: »
    Harrowing details at the inquest into the murder by the BA of 10 civilians, including a mother of 8. Still waiting for justice while their killers lifestyle is subsidised by the purchase of poppies . https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-46208297

Their killers should be charged and jailed for life if found guilty, I'm talking about terrorists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The poppy clap trap is straight out of the 'oul populist/fascist playbook, it is sad that so many, even here now, are falling in line.
    Here's a wiki piece about somebody with a pair of massive metaphorical balls who refused to play it, hopefully it can give example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Landmesser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

The poppy clap trap is straight out of the 'oul populist/fascist playbook, it is sad that so many, even here now, are falling in line.
    Here's a wiki piece about somebody with a pair of massive metaphorical balls who refused to play it, hopefully it can give example.

For jazus sake will ya shtop it.
    There's no one interned for not wearing the poppy.
    I have dozens of relatives over there, I never seen any of them wearing them.
    I was there myself a few times at this time of year and you can walk the streets and you'll only meet a handful with them on.
    We have always had the right to travel, work and indeed collect benefits and such, the same as British citizens.
    Britain, England mostly, has always been a second home to the Irish, it kept families and individuals out of the poverty traps here, paid off many a mortgage.
    There is a huge Irish community in most cities, republican values are held high within these communities and there is no interference in the main with any of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Their killers should be charged and jailed for life if found guilty, I'm talking about terrorists!

You do realise that there were also brittish terrorists in the north such as the uda and uvf. These terrorists were given information and finances from the brittish govenment.
    The briitish govenment had a lot of blood on there hands during the troubles. Infact if you go back though our history they basically commited genocide here and also starved millions of people to death. I Dont no how any patriotic irish person could ever wear a poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's plenty of people who don't buy into the poppy nonsense, even in the UK.

As I posted elsewhere, I was in Belfast leading up to the big day. I was shocked at just how few poppies I actually seen being worn. I'd say you'd be talking about 1% of the people I seen on the street and in shops/restaurants etc.

And I spoke to people who have lived in England and they too say don't believe what you see on the BBC or ITV, where people aren't afforded the choice of wearing one or not.

You do realise that there were also brittish terrorists in the north such as the uda and uvf. These terrorists were given information and finances from the brittish govenment.
    The briitish govenment had a lot of blood on there hands during the troubles. Infact if you go back though our history they basically commited genocide here and also starved millions of people to death. I Dont no how any patriotic irish person could ever wear a poppy.

As i stated, anyone guilty of killing an innocent person should be jailed for life. Also remember that the Gardai gave info to the IRA and Haughey was kniwn to have helped guns/explosives get into ireland for the IRA to use.

Many people from both sides governments and security forces have the blood of innocent people on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

How would you know someone's a patriotic Irishman ?

• Advertisement

As i stated, anyone guilty of killing an innocent person should be jailed for life. Also remember that the Gardai gave info to the IRA and Haughey was kniwn to have helped guns/explosives get into ireland for the IRA to use.

Many people from both sides governments and security forces have the blood of innocent people on their hands.

I agree they should be jailed for life but this thread is about wearing a poppy and i would never wear one. would you ?

How would you know someone's a patriotic Irishman ?

Id know if they didnt wear a poppy.

I agree they should be jailed for life but this thread is about wearing a poppy and i would never wear one. would you ?

I would and i do.

I would and i do.

I have no problem with that.
    Not talking about here in Ireland, but from a British stand point, how do you feel about any British citizen that would refuse to wear one?

Edward M wrote: »
    I have no problem with that.
    Not talking about here in Ireland, but from a British stand point, how do you feel about any British citizen that would refuse to wear one?

I have no issue with it, i have friends who sell them and friends who dont wear one, i just see it as a personal choice for all and have never heard a word mentioned to anyone who chooses not to wear one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They will always be affiliated with the British Army and with their track record around the world and in Ireland, I could never wear one. Anyone who does supports and condones the British Army and their actions IMO. They can barely remember the fallen without getting into their propaganda. Ironically the fallen were the last thing on either the British arrmy or Empire's mind in WWI and certainly not during their WOMD days.

They will always be affiliated with the British Army and with their track record around the world and in Ireland, I could never wear one. Anyone who does supports and condones the British Army and their actions IMO. They can barely remember the fallen without getting into their propaganda. Ironically the fallen were the last thing on either the British arrmy or Empire's mind in WWI and certainly not during their WOMD days.

I'd never wear one either.
    But if you knew someone who wore one, who had relatives killed in ww1 and they said they were doing it to remember and honour their deceased relatives, would you feel any animosity towards that person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Every time someone bumps this thread I wind up watching this for about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The Ira were a terrorist orgainisation. The brittish army was supppsed to be a legitimate and they were far from it.
    Large numbers of people said they weren't terrorists, remember wanting political status in the H Block, and to not be treated as criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Edward M wrote: »
    I'd never wear one either.
    But if you knew someone who wore one, who had relatives killed in ww1 and they said they were doing it to remember and honour their deceased relatives, would you feel any animosity towards that person?

personally i would think a lot less of them yes . by wearing it they are giving money to an organisation who will be providing support to the likes of those involved in bloody sunday and other murderous acts and human rights abuses. they would quite likely be aware of this and would still have chosen to buy and wear it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

I would and i do.

thats fair enough its your choice.
    do you think its fair to ask Irish people to wear a poppy ?
    what do you think the British people would say if they were asked to wear a symbol that represented all the German service men that fought in past wars.

I think they would say **** off to be honest and I wouldn't blame them.

we should have our own symbol here.

thats fair enough its your choice.
    do you think its fair to ask Irish people to wear a poppy ?

No one is "asking" irish people to wear one though, if you see a poppy seller in Dublin you can easily walk by, if you feel you would like to buy one in remembrance of a relative who fought/died in WW1 then buy one. Its not compulsory.
    what do you think the British people would say if they were asked to wear a symbol that represented all the German service men that fought in past wars.

Im sure the majority would refuse to buy/wear one.
    I think they would say **** off to be honest and I wouldn't blame them.

we should have our own symbol here.

I'm sure some Neanderthals would abuse the sellers but for the most part the population would just ignore the sellers.

People seem to think that every British person buys a poppy, they don't and honestly lads if you're not wearing a poppy you dont get asked why not, no ones throwing rotton fruit or spitting on you in the streets for the lack of one.

I lived most of my life in Dublin and to hear me talk you would think i was a native. I live in cheshire and often drinknin warrington in a bar close to where the IRA let off 2 bombs. In my 2 years going there not a single person has ever said a negative word to me about the irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No one is "asking" irish people to wear one though, if you see a poppy seller in Dublin you can easily walk by, if you feel you would like to buy one in remembrance of a relative who fought/died in WW1 then buy one. Its not compulsory.

Im sure the majority would refuse to buy/wear one.

I'm sure some Neanderthals would abuse the sellers but for the most part the population would just ignore the sellers.

People seem to think that every British person buys a poppy, they don't and honestly lads if you're not wearing a poppy you dont get asked why not, no ones throwing rotton fruit or spitting on you in the streets for the lack of one.

I lived most of my life in Dublin and to hear me talk you would think i was a native. I live in cheshire and often drinknin warrington in a bar close to where the IRA let off 2 bombs. In my 2 years going there not a single person has ever said a negative word to me about the irish.

There are plenty who want a criticism free ride for the poppy though and we see them on these threads every year.

I would apply the word Neanderthal to those who cheer an army and all the actions and members of that army - whatever they do. And that is any army.
    And essentially that is what the poppy does.

There are plenty who want a criticism free ride for the poppy though and we see them on these threads every year.

I would apply the word Neanderthal to those who cheer an army and all the actions and members of that army - whatever they do. And that is any army.

Does that include yourself with your shameless defence of the IRA?

Does that include yourself with your shameless defence of the IRA?
    all the actions and members of that army - whatever they do. And that is any army.

I don't defend the IRA's actions, nor do I wear any symbol that cheers them on or supports them.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

You attach a lot of things to the poppy, and that is your right and opinion.
    A lot of people don’t attach these things to the poppy, which is their right and opinion.

If you expect others to respect your opinion, you need to start by respecting other people’s opinions.

atticu wrote: »
    You attach a lot of things to the poppy, and that is your right and opinion.
    A lot of people don’t attach these things to the poppy, which is their right and opinion.

If you expect others to respect your opinion, you need to start by respecting other people’s opinions.

You need to respect my right, as a sovereign equal member of this state, to criticise something that I feel requires criticism.
    'A lot of people' are living in cuckoo land if they think that publicly and demonstratively supporting and cheering an army that did so much damage in this state is not going to draw criticism.

I don't defend the IRA's actions, nor do I wear any symbol that cheers them on or supports them.

I can honestly say i have yet to meet an English person who supports every single action of the BA.

And sorry Francie but you certainly have defended some of the IRA's most heinous atrocities.

I can honestly say i have yet to meet an English person who supports every single action of the BA.
    Those who wear a poppy bought from the RBL do. Read what the RBL is.

Stop trying to diminish that. There are no 'exceptions' written on the back of the poppy. It is what it is.
    And sorry Francie but you certainly have defended some of the IRA's most heinous atrocities.

I was against all the violence during the conflict. I never supported the actions of any of the players, in the past, now or in the future.

If you wear a poppy you certainly support the past, present and future actions of the British army, don't fool yourself or try to fool us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You need to respect my right, as a sovereign equal member of this state, to criticise something that I feel requires criticism.
    'A lot of people' are living in cuckoo land if they think that publicly and demonstratively supporting and cheering an army that did so much damage in this state is not going to draw criticism.

You want your right to criticise something you disagree with to be respected which is fair enough but your happy to call someone who has different view to yourself a Neanderthal.

Advertisement