Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol the poppy always puts the wind up the barstool Republicans. Esp the ones that were in nappies or were a twinkle in the postman's eye during the troubles...never fired a shot in their lives and only saw guns in pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You want your right to criticise something you disagree with to be respected which is fair enough but your happy to call someone who has different view to yourself a Neanderthal.

'Criticism' - you do understand what that is?

I think some of the poppy fascism that we have seen - it was on display very vocally in the Aviva last night - was Neanderthal tbh.

It applies equally to those who go around shouting 'Up The 'RA' to enflame and insult and hurt, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Those who wear a poppy bought from the RBL do. Read what the RBL is.

No francie that is your interpretation of it.
    Stop trying to diminish that. There are no 'exceptions' written on the back of the poppy. It is what it is.

The majority of people who buy/wear a poppy do so in rememberance of loved ones who fought/died in WW1, It's only die hard bar stool republicans like yourself who put their own spin on what the poppy means to people who you don't even know.

I was against all the violence during the conflict. I never supported the actions of any of the players, in the past, now or in the future.

Your posting history in every single IRA/SF thread says different!
    If you wear a poppy you certainly support the past, present and future actions of the British army, don't fool yourself or try to fool us.

The only part if your post that is correct, i wear it for my great grandfather who fought in thebtrenches in WW1, whi got gassed and eventually died from that in the 70's as it ruined his lungs. This is a man who also fought in WW2 and lost a leg due to gangrene.

My grandfather also fought in WW2 and was one of then1st paratroopers into Eindhoven for operation market garden, he was also returned home badly wounded (shot 4 times)but lived to a ripe age of 88.

Those are the people i buy my poppy for, to remember them and the sacrifices they made for me and my children so we could have a future.

But I'm sure you will twist/spin what i have said to try shoehorn in your own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The majority of people who buy/wear a poppy do so in rememberance of loved ones who fought/died in WW1, It's only die hard bar stool republicans like yourself who put their own spin on what the poppy means to people who you don't even know.

The only part if your post that is correct, i wear it for my great grandfather who fought in thebtrenches in WW1, whi got gassed and eventually died from that in the 70's as it ruined his lungs. This is a man who also fought in WW2 and lost a leg due to gangrene.

My grandfather also fought in WW2 and was one of then1st paratroopers into amsterdam for operation market garden, he was also returned home badly wounded (shot 4 times)but lived to a ripe age of 88.

Those are the people i buy my poppy for, to remember them and the sacrifices they made for me and my children so we could have a future.

But I'm sure you will twist/spin what i have said to try shoehorn in your own agenda.

Slight correction: Arnhem not Amsterdam. But spot on apart from that.

Slight correction: Arnhem not Amsterdam. But spot on apart from that.

It was actually Eindhoven he went to i got mixed up as he told me so much abiut the war as a little lad.

• Advertisement

It was actually Eindhoven he went to i got mixed up as he told me so much abiut the war as a little lad.

ah, he was american then.

My grandfather also fought in WW2 and was one of then1st paratroopers into Eindhoven for operation market garden, he was also returned home badly wounded (shot 4 times)but lived to a ripe age of 88.

Nobody is trying to diminish your right to remember.

To do it, using a poppy (a manifest support for the actions of the BA anywhere, past and present and future) is the problem.

I have no issue, for instance, with those attending respectful ceremonies.

I do have a problem with those who consciously support or who willfully ignore the implications of what an RBL poppy is or what the money is supporting.

Nobody is trying to diminish your right to remember.

To do it, using a poppy (a manifest support for the actions of the BA anywhere, past and present and future) is the problem.

I have no issue, for instance, with those attending respectful ceremonies.

[B[I do have a problem [/b]with those who consciously support or who willfully ignore the implications of what an RBL poppy is or what the money is supporting.

And therein lies the issue, it's your personal interpretation of what the poppy represents because you have taken a sentence from the RBL website and run with it. No matter what people say their reasons are for wearing a poppy you will add your spin to it to suit your agenda.

If that's what you think and how you feel then thats your problem but don't come in here and preach to people and tell them what they are doing is wrong just because that is your belief.

And therein lies the issue, it's your personal interpretation of what the poppy represents because you have taken a sentence from the RBL website and run with it. No matter what people say their reasons are for wearing a poppy you will add your spin to it to suit your agenda.

If that's what you think and how you feel then thats your problem but don't come in here and preach to people and tell them what they are doing is wrong just because that is your belief.

This is a bit like trying to validate the wearing of a swastika because you personally like the shape it makes.

A poppy bought from the RBL supports the actions of the BA, past present and future.
    There is no ambiguity. It is what it is.

And it is getting bigger and more demonstrative and the poppy fascists are getting louder.

This is a bit like trying to validate the wearing of a swastika because you personally like the shape it makes.

No its not! This is about peoples remembrance of their ancestors who fought in WW1 & 2.
    A poppy bought from the RBL supports the actions of the BA, past present and future.
    There is no ambiguity. It is what it is.

So you keep claiming, just because you shout this every 2nd or 3rd post does not make it true though.
    And it is getting bigger and more demonstrative and the poppy fascists are getting louder.

Again with the "poppy facist" line :rolleyes:

When was the last time you were personally abused for not wearing a poppy? Are there poppy police walking the streets checking to make sure people are wearing them?

Again francie, just because you claim something or believe it to be true does not mean that it is true out here in the real world.

• Advertisement

No its not! This is about peoples remembrance of their ancestors who fought in WW1 & 2.

So you keep claiming, just because you shout this every 2nd or 3rd post does not make it true though.

Again with the "poppy facist" line :rolleyes:

When was the last time you were personally abused for not wearing a poppy? Are there poppy police walking the streets checking to make sure people are wearing them?

Again francie, just because you claim something or believe it to be true does not mean that it is true out here in the real world.

So, because I have not been abused for not wearing a poppy, abuse doen't exist?

Did you watch the match last night? :rolleyes:

No, it really doesn't. As others have said,this is your own interpretation of it.

The Poppy remembers those that served in the armed forces, most of whom would be well regarded members of their local community.

I didnt, but i will refer back to my earlier post about a few neanderthals shouting abuse.

Should all be tarred with the same brush due to a tiny minority of idiots?

I did and I felt completely and utterly abused. Nothing to do with poppies or flegs, or booing of anthems, just the absolute pile of ****e it was.

I didnt, but i will refer back to my earlier post about a few neanderthals shouting abuse.

Should all be tarred with the same brush due to a tiny minority of idiots?

No. And I never said they should.
    It was you who suggested that this abuse was non existent or negligible. It isn't.
    Even the queen has been criticised for not wearing it when the fascists believe she should.
    It is getting completely out of hand. And the same abuse (see thread) is heaped on anyone who criticises the wearing of it here where the British Army's actions still have very negative consequences for many many people.

No. And I never said they should.
    It was you who suggested that this abuse was non existent or negligible. It isn't.
    Even the queen has been criticised for not wearing it when the fascists believe she should.

Well as someone who lives in the UK i havent seen nor heard any of it yet you seem.to think its widespread.
    It is getting completely out of hand. And the same abuse (see thread) is heaped on anyone who criticises the wearing of it here where the British Army's actions still have very negative consequences for many many people.

If the poppy bothers you so much then stay away from all things English, no one forces you to watch UK tv channels or join the poppy threads yet here you are every year spouting the same nonsense.

Well as someone who lives in the UK i havent seen nor heard any of it yet you seem.to think its widespread.

If the poppy bothers you so much then stay away from all things English, no one forces you to watch UK tv channels or join the poppy threads yet here you are every year spouting the same nonsense.

I am commenting on it being worn here mainly. And the spread of the fascism around it. The clamour to shut up criticism of wearing it here is getting louder.
    It will always be a hurtful thing to wear publicly here as long as it's purchase supports the BA. Plenty of respectful non-intrusive ways to remember.

I am commenting on it being worn here mainly. And the spread of the fascism around it. The clamour to shut up criticism of wearing it here is getting louder.
    It will always be a hurtful thing to wear publicly here as long as it's purchase supports the BA.

where is "here" roughly?

where is "here" roughly?

This island. Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It is acceptable to wear the easter lily in england?

• Advertisement

This island. Ireland.

I can honestly say i have never seen poppy facism in ireland. In fact i see very few poppys at all. you must be in a very different part of ireland to me.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Only an insensitive, crass, neanderthal would wear it in a community that suffered.
    I would believe it would not be acceptable. It isn't imo acceptable to wear it here where it would offend or hurt.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

You'd be lucky if anyone in England had any idea what it was and someone wearing it would be barely noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Only an insensitive, crass, neanderthal would wear it in a community that suffered.
    I would believe it would not be acceptable. It isn't imo acceptable to wear it here where it would offend or hurt.

But its acceptable to wear the poppy?

Aren't the Poppy & Easter Lily both a symbol to remember those lost in war, fighting for each of their own cause

I can honestly say i have never seen poppy facism in ireland. In fact i see very few poppys at all. you must be in a very different part of ireland to me.

It isn't a huge thing, but look at the pure vitriol from some here if you criticise it.

Coincidentally they are in the main the same posters who will defend the actions of the BA here on this island, who claim to only want to remember WW1 veterans/dead. :rolleyes:

It isn't a huge thing, but look at the pure vitriol from some here if you criticise it.

Coincidentally they are in the main the same posters who will defend the actions of the BA here on this island, who claim to only want to remember WW1 veterans/dead. :rolleyes:

you have a very odd idea of what "poppy facism" is. For me it is people getting abuse for not wearing one. I have only seen the opposite on this thread.

Have never heard of anyonein ireland being accosted on the street for not wearing one, in fact in all the years i lived in Dublin ans wore one it was never an issue.
    It will always be a hurtful thing to wear publicly here as long as it's purchase supports the BA. Plenty of respectful non-intrusive ways to remember.

And yet not a single word is said to those who wear it, its only a tiny minority like yourself who have an issue, everyone else just gets on with their lives.

you have a very odd idea of what "poppy facism" is. For me it is people getting abuse for not wearing one. I have only seen the opposite on this thread.

'Fascism' can be insidious as well as overt. Abuse need not be physical as some are trying to divert to here.

If 'remembrance' is your reason for publicly wearing one here, why can you not accept how hurtful and insulting it is to those who remember clearly and have actual experience of what the BA did here?

You simply are not having respect for that 'remembrance' and selectively triumphing your own.

Put all public symbols in a drawer here and remember respectfully.

'Fascism' can be insidious as well as overt. Abuse need not be physical as some are trying to divert to here.

If 'remembrance' is your reason for publicly wearing one here, why can you not accept how hurtful and insulting it is to those who remember clearly and have actual experience of what the BA did here?

You simply are not having respect for that 'remembrance' and selectively triumphing your own.

Put all public symbols in a drawer here and remember respectfully.

Yet in this thread

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057923797/1

You had no issue with SF publicly remembering a man who blew up innocent men women and children without a thought to how hurtful and insulting it would be to their families.

Double standards indeed francie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You need to respect my right, as a sovereign equal member of this state, to criticise something that I feel requires criticism.

That's great, as you are now the most prolific poster in this years and last years thread, I think we are all pretty clear on your opinion on the matter. I don't think you can claim that we have not heard you or that you have been silenced in any way.

You are free to criticise, others, in turn, are free to ignore you and continue on with their lives wearing a poppy if they so choose. Others are also free to criticise you in return. That is how it works.

It does not matter how many times you post and get on that soapbox, this does not change the nature of the issue. It is a free country and people are free to wear a poppy if they so choose to.

Advertisement