Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Super time Hedgehoggy....all that's missing is the race report! ;)

Thanks!! Absolutely delighted with my time. Will post race report soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

coogy wrote: »
    I hope nobody minds but I'm going to post my race report here as well as on my training log.

As this is my first marathon, I've tried to provide as detailed and honest an account as my memory will allow. It's more for my benefit than anything (how selfish) but if you can take any encouragement or positives from reading it, all the better! Apologies if it goes on a bit. ;)

So here were were, the day that all of the months of hard were leading up to. The feelings of extreme nerves during the previous couple of weeks had gradually turned to excitement in the days before the marathon and I was eventually in full 'race mode', feeling very focused.
    The day before the main event, I had everything prepared, race clothes, change of clothes, fuelling, the works. I was starting to feel really good about this.

Pre-race
    On the morning of the race (after a fitful night's sleep), I got a lift in with some lads from Waterstown RC. I'd never actually met any of them before, they were friends with a girl that I work with and they kindly offered me a lift in when they'd heard I was stuck for transport. It was cold enough, as predicted, but I could already tell that it was the beginning of a perfect weather day for running.

Had a nice relaxing journey in with a few laughs along the way and as most of them were experienced marathoners, they gave me a few last minute pointers to send me on my way.

Arrived in town about 8am and made my way up to Stephen's Green to meet my fellow Boardsies for a brief meet up before we made our way back down to the bag drop off. The buzz around the city was something to behold and it was really only then that I fully understood the sheer enormity of the event. Around Merrion Square. there were runners literally everywhere I looked. Controlled mayhem is an accurate description I think. Removed a few outer layers and made sure I had everything I needed before dropping off my bag. A much needed trip to the portaloo was had, then like a lost sheep, headed up towards the Green start line.

Apart from a few last minute stretches, I honestly didn't know what to do to pass the time. Thankfully, before I knew it, the crowd started moving along up to Fitzwilliam St. and I followed the 3:40 pacers to the start line. In typical 'me' fashion, it was at that moment that I started to doubt my plan of achieving a 3:40 time. Common sense would have to be the order of the day, I thought. Even if I eventually found myself running with the 3:50 pacers, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad day at the office.

My heart was thumping as 9:15am approached and all of a sudden, off we went.

The race
    Miles 1-6

Naturally, as expected, things were slow to get moving but I still enjoyed the atmosphere around me, trying to soak it all in. The first mile came and went in a flash, couldn't believe how quickly it had passed. Up past Patrick's cathedral and towards Christchurch, I was feeling great, helped in no small part by the perfect running conditions. At this point, I was more than happy for the 3:40 pacers to be ahead of me, as long as I kept them within my sights.
    The first lag of the day - Blackhall Place/Stoneybatter - brought the first little mis-hap. I took at bottle from the water station and after removing the lid to drop the half a zero tab in, I dropped the lid and somehow managed to pick it up quickly enough not to impede any other runners. Way too close for comfort. Had to make sure the next one went more smoothly.
    There was great support along NCR and as soon as we got into the park, I had to prepare myself for Chesterfield Ave. I was trying my best to match my pace band against my watch and although I was 10-15 seconds faster for miles 3, 4 and 5, I still thought I was running at a moderate enough pace. Picked out my first bit of support along Chesterfield Ave which gave me a great boost. The stretch along this par to the route was not as much of a drag as I was anticipating and as we hit the 10k mark, I couldn't believe how quickly the miles were passing by. Still, checking my pace and was still averaging 8:15-8:20m/mile. Took a gel during mile 6.

Miles 7-14
    Exiting the Castleknock gates was a completely different kettle of fish. The support was immense and the band on stage really carried us along. There was a real carnival atmosphere and I was astounded at the lengths some people had gone to with their posters, banners and shouts of encouragement towards their own families and friends. Lots of high-fives were the order of the day and added to the feel-good factor before we made our descent back into the Phoenix Park. Looking back, it was this moment that may have been a turning point for me. I was more than aware that I needed to take it easy but as I checked my pace for mile 8 as we entered the Phoenix Park once more, alarm bells rang when I saw 7:57. There was a marginal improvement for the next mile as we headed towards Chapelizod gates but was back into 7 minute territory on the next downhill stretch of the Upper Glen Rd.
    St. Laurence Rd was manageable enough and by this point I was just looking forward to running through Kilmainham where my wife and two kids would hopefully be waiting. Heard my name being shouted out as we ran down Sarsfield Rd and saw it was another familiar face.
    The anticipation of seeing my family was almost too much to bear and found myself having to fight back some tears of emotion at the thought of seeing them. As we approached South Circular Road, I was frantically scanning the crowd for a sign of them and there they were, just outside the gates of the Royal Hospital. Simply put, I lost the plot as I jumped foy joy and let out shouts of delight that I were almost out of my control. A sight that no doubt will be etched into the memory of my kids for some years to come. My plans of high-fiving them were not to be as one of the stewards had asked my wife to move slightly away from the road just before I appeared and the photo opp she had been waiting ages for came and went. I was so disappointed for her and was almost tempted to turn back but knew that would be crazy. Still, I was so happy to see them.
    My actual pace and my pace band were still not that far apart and as we entered Rialto. Fantastic support again from the locals who were armed with tubs of jellies, oranges, apples bananas, jaffa cakes, the works. It was as this point that I felt that something was not quite right. Running along the Crumlin Rd, I experienced the first sign of tiredness in the legs and as we approached the half way point in 1h:50m, I begun to wonder how on earth I was going to cope if I was feeling like this now and felt like I was now left with a serious uphill battle if I wanted to achieve a negative split. The pacers were now further away than ever and could just about make out the white balloons in the distance. Took a gel at mile 11, followed by water with Zero tab.

Miles 15-20
    I knew my parents would be waiting for me on the Cromwellsfort Rd so perhaps that would give me another much needed boost. As we neared the Walkinstown roundabout, the support was phenomenal and I found myself dipping in to some of the jellies on offer. Not something I had planned to do at any stage of the race and saw it as an ominous sign of what was to come.
    I spotted my parents outside the Submarine Bar, just where they said they would be and once again, excitement took over, so much so that I decided not to take the banana that my dad was patiently holding out for me. I wondered if I would eventually regret that.
    The thrill I felt very quickly vanished and I was back to where I was before, feeling tired in the legs and a general feeling of discomfort. At this point, I had begun to lose a little bit of focus and was no longer aware of where we were on the route. The 3:40 pacers had begun to pull out of sight completely. Not a good sign.
    What followed after Templeogue/Terenure is all a bit hazy. I became quite disoriented and the tiredness in the legs very quickly progressed into an actual ache. My pace was gradually becoming slower and it felt like everything was going wrong very quickly. Panic begun to set in. I thought as long as I maintained this slightly slower pace, I would still perhaps manage a 3:45 finish or thereabouts. I became less and less aware of the crowds of supporters around me and before long their cheers and clapping were doing absolutely nothing for me whatsoever. I noticed some runners around me had begun to walk and for the first time I wondered if that would eventually be my fate. After Terenure, my sense of location grew less and less and even the prospect of facing the infamous wall barely registered with me. I noticed that as my pace lessened, more and more runners with much fresher legs than mine were passing me by. This was not the plan and as much as I tried, I just couldn't push any harder. Then, somewhere around the Milltown area - I can't be sure of this - the legs went. Cramp - something I've never experienced before - had well and truly set in and I could feel (and see) the muscles in my legs tighten. I pulled up with severe pain in the back of my legs and had no choice but to stop running. I was devastated. As I limped on, with other runners offering words of encouragement, I kept looking behind for the 3:50 pacers. Still nothing. I stretched for a minute at the side of the road and started to run again at a much slower pace. Again, the legs went and the pain was becoming worse.
    Took another gel at mile 20.

Miles 21-26
    I just kept walking, and I was in good company too as the number of walkers grew. I hoped that after a few minutes of walking, the pain in my legs would pass. After a few more stretches, I tried running again but this time the pain was at its worst and the legs turned into a jelly-like state and I stopped once more. I didn't know where to turn, what to do or what to think. I was in pain, I could barely walk and worst of all, sub 4 now felt like an impossible task. I felt like crying but I wouldn't allow it. I took another glance over my shoulder and there they were in the distance, the 3:50 pacers. My heart sank and as I limped up towards Roebuck Rd, I let out a very loud "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" in complete frustration. The pace on my watch read 12:29 and at that moment, I honestly felt like packing it in there and then but knew that wasn't really an option. The pacers glided past and all I could do was watch. I managed another half mile or so of light running and in desperation, I asked an onlooker if I could take a drink of her coke, thinking that it would help somehow. She saw I was in trouble and very kindly obliged. Couldn't possible say whether it had a positive or adverse effect. Took two clif bloks.
    Like with the previous few miles, I really had no idea where I was and as the crowds grew in size, all I wanted was for them to disappear. I saw another familiar face but didn't even have the energy to call their name out. By now, the 3:50 pacers were nowhere to be seen.
    As we turned onto Stillorgan Rd, I somehow managed to start running again at a reasonably moderate pace and thought that maybe, if I pushed enough, I could catch up with the 3:50 pacers but I clearly knew this was too big an ask. Just before Nutley lane, the legs went again but not quite as bad as before so I walked again for another minute while checking the time on my watch and saw that just over 3 and a half hours had elapsed. I did the maths in my head and knew that it would take all my strength to make sub 4 at this point. I started off running once more and prepared myself for the final stretch.
    I was able to pick up the pace with the pain in my legs just about manageable and begun to overtake a good few other runners as we approached Ballsbridge. I now knew that if I were to stop again between here and the finish line, it was all over so I dug deep and ran through pain like I've never known. The last half a mile seemed to go on forever and all the previous romantic notions I'd had before today of approaching the finish line completely went out the window. I was utterly spent by now and the noise from the crowds, which had almost trebled in size, became almost overwhelming to me and as crazy as it sounds, I tried as hard as I could to block it all out. I kept telling myself that I had to stop but something - I don't know what - made me plough on. I could see the official time ahead was 03:56.xx so pushed hard once again for the final 200 metres and crossed the finish line in a complete daze. Official time was 03:57:01

Once I had crossed the finish line, all I wanted to do was to sit down on the ground but there was enough common sense coming from the race stewards to tell me that it was not the most sensible idea in the world. I could barely walk, I couldn't speak and as the medal was placed over my head, it barely registered with me. After receiving my race t-shirt and goodie bag (how disappointing was THAT by the way?), I made my way slowly up to collect my bag.
    No-post race selfies, no tears, no smiles, no hugs from family and a whopping 17 minutes outside my target time. At that moment, I felt like a fraud and most of all embarrassed for aiming my sights so high, telling the world how I was gunning for a 3:40 finish. It was the exact opposite to how I imagined this moment to be. I couldn't have felt any more low.
    I rang my wife and it turned out they couldn't get anywhere near the finish line to see me so I got changed (very slowly) amongst the hoardes of fellow finishers and went off to meet them before saying a very brief farewell to the other Boards crew who had gathered in McGrattans. Would have loved to have stayed but it wasn't to be.

Later that evening, while sitting at home on the couch watching tv and thinking about the whole day, I burst into tears. Just like that. Better later than never I suppose.

Looking back, I think there were many factors which contributed to my horror show (pacing/fuelling/competitive streak/inexperience) but I have gradually gotten over my disappointment and know deep down that I should be proud of what I achieved, especially in the last few miles.
    I will definitely be back next year, stronger, wiser and hopefully this time with a realistic goal and new PB.

Thanks to everyone who shared the experience with me. We did good! (Didn't we?)
    this is ballsy, i have read it twice- a fantasic report, be proud of those miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

So here it goes, my race report...

Woke up before my alarm at 06:00 on Sunday morning. It was like Christmas, I was so excited. Following a substantial breakfast, I donned enough clothes for a polar expedition and my friend dropped me in near the Shelbourne, where I spotted the legendary skyblue46. It was easy to recognise him from his caricature! We were soon joined by more Boardsies, and after a short while, everyone made their way toward the bag drop area.

Following a few half-hearted stretches, a couple of loo trips and last minute fuelling, myself and the rest of wave 3 were off. The fairytale for me was sub 4. I knew this was on the optimistic end of the scale, so I planned a very conservative first half of 2:03:30, and we'd see where I was after that.

Miles 1-7:
    My focus for the first 7 miles was all on keeping a handy pace, and I managed this. I started off behind the 4-hour pacers, and as planned let them off into the distance. The 4:10 pacers passed me after a mile or two, before crossing the Liffey anyway. Again, this was expected and all good. Passed my 3 person support crew on Chesterfield Avenue, and again later on the far side of the park. My 10k target time was 60:09, and I passed that mark in 60:40. Happy days.
    9:39; 9:35; 9:48; 9:33; 9;36; 9:43; 9:48

Miles 8-13:
    I knew I needed to pick up the pace over the next 10-12 miles, and while I managed to slightly up the pace, I always seemed to be 5 or 10s per mile slower than planned. I guess I had settled into a slow pace over the first 7 and found it hard to adjust to a faster pace. Found myself bunched up and boxed in on a few occasions as well. I also think that I was so wary of doing the first 7 miles too fast, that once I was over them I completely forgot about taking my time on the hills, drags and inclines over the middle portion of the race. I'd pay for that later.

I don't know Dublin too well, so after Chapelizod I could have been anywhere really. I passed the halfway mark in 2:05:57, over 2 minutes slower than intended. I still felt strong, but knew that sub 4 was looking unlikely. The first half had flown by. I couldn't believe that I'd been running for over 2 hours at this stage. Far too much brain power was wasted around this time trying to work out potential finishing times and the like.
    9:12; 9:18; 9:11; 9:42; 9:16; 9:19

Miles 14-18:
    Somewhere around mile 14 I reeled in the 4:10 group and passed them by. I was still ticking along nicely at this stage, although still slightly slower than my paceband suggested. At 17.5 miles, I passed by a woman who, while racing, was on the phone to her friend providing an update.
    9:18; 9:09; 9:02; 9:10: 8:51

Miles 19-21:
    Tried to lift the pace again around here, but my legs failed to comply. I still managed to tick away at an ok rate, but I was beginning to worry about what lay in store over the next hour or so.
    9:24; 9:41; 9:17

Miles 22-26.2
    I heard a dreaded rumble approaching from behind. It was the 4:10 group. They invited me to board the bus, but I just slipped right out the back in seconds. These miles were so tough. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and willing myself to keep running, no matter how slowly.

I went up what I assumed to be Heartbreak Hill and breathed a sigh of relief that the worst was behind me. I nearly cried a mile or so later when I spotted another, even bigger hill. As bad as I felt, I was still passing plenty of people who were walking, stretching and really struggling. Passed an ambulance crew attending to a fellow runner on the side of the road near UCD I think. Hope that person is ok.

It was during this period that I really appreciated the crowd. I had my name on my number, and the odd shout of encouragement from the sidelines was a great boost. I gratefully accepted a banana from a supporter. I ate half, and passed the remainder to a guy who was walking.

As I passed the RDS, I knew the finish was within reach, and managed to dig deep for a final push. The wall of noise over that finishing stretch was something else. I felt like I was sprinting at this stage, although a look at the youtube stream later showed more of a brisk walk. As I crossed the finish line, I tried in vain to raise my hands. 4:13:21
    10:06; 10:17; 10:43; 11:03; 10:15; 9:10 (0.3)

If you told me at the start line that I'd finish in 4:13 I would have been gutted. But at the finish line, I truly didn't care about the time. As I limped over to get my medal I burst into tears, and balled my eyes out as the guy put it around my neck. I've no idea why, as I wouldn't be a very emotional person.

I met the OH afterwards and we made our way to McGrattan's. It was great to put faces to names and usernames, and share experiences, good and bad. I do all my training alone, so to have this group has been invaluable to me.

I'll end this with some thanks. Firstly the mentors. All the novices I spoke with during the day all echoed the same sentiment, which was huge gratitude to our three mentors, and an acknowledgment that we would never have made the start line without your advice. Thanks again to ariana', skyblue46 and kellygirl, your efforts over the past months are truly appreciated. Thanks are also due to the many other forum regulars who dropped in and tried to guide us in the right direction. Your input was always welcomed and appreciated.

To the people of Dublin. BRAVO! People spoke of the wonderful crowds, and I thought yeah, great, whatever. But I was blown away by the support all over the course. So many signs raised a smile, and high-fiving the odd child gave a timely boost. But, over those closing 6-8 miles it was the crowd that kept me going. The encouragement, the cheering, the refreshments and then the noise over that closing mile is something that I will never forget.

And finally, to my fellow novices, this experience was so much richer and more rewarding for having shared the journey with you. It has been so enjoyable to watch your journeys to becoming marathoners, and I've learned so much along the way. To those who began this journey with us, but for whatever reason did not make the start line, I highly recommend that you give it another crack next year. You'll be in great hands with coogy, eyrie and juke :p

Now, which way is the Training Logs forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Seeing as someone added my finishing time, here's my report of the race.

Woke up, felt grand. Was a bit restless the night before but that was to be expected being away in a hotel, first night away from the wife and 3 month old. But it didn't bother me. Up at 7.30am, down the stairs for porridge, a scone and coffee. Back up and got ready and left the hotel at 8.20am.

My wave was to start at 9.15 (wave 2). Was staying in the Mespil so just had a short walk to the start. Marshals wouldn't let me walk up Baggot street, instead I was sent all around to the bagging area even though I'd no bag to drop. Prick of a marshall I thought. Had some time to spare outside BoI so queued to piddle. Ready to rock then and dumped my jacket and headed off.

I'd read and read and read about slow starts. Aimed to do the first 10k in 55 mins, did it in 56.21. I was happy enough. I wanted to do 3.50 overall, and the pacers had gone from view, but I didn't really mind. Keep it steady to mile 7 as that was the top of the climb, then kick on.

Downhill the pace picked up and that was grand. Was feeling fine. Grabbed water at each station and carried the bottle. Was used to that. Left hamstring felt tight going under the N4 at Chapelizod, but wasn't too bad. Kept going at a nice pace, was content to see my overall average pace per km come down; 5.35, 5.34. 5.33. Passed half way averaging 5.33. Keep it going I said, things are going to plan. Heart monitor stopped working at 25km. Balls.

Up to the 30k, no issues. Few aches and pains but nothing to stop me. It wasn't comfortable running of course and if it was training I'd have stopped. Hit 30k in my fastest time for that distance at 2.45:56. 12k to go I said, going to be tough. Was averaging below my target time so I abandoned 3.50 for real at this point and aimed to finish under 3.57 (for gloating reasons).

Walked for the first time before Heartbreak Hill; not from pain or mental anguish, but because there was Lucozade in plastic cups, and trying to drink from a cup while running is a disaster. Lucozade in, run again and up the hill. Don't know what all the fuss was about it at the time. Couple of km later, both quads joined the pain party. I'd done Sea2Summit in 2016 and the pain was similar. Decided to stop and stretch, only for my hamstring to cramp. No more stretching, lets move on.

Gingerly got back to jogging, then slow running. Walk again. Go again. Walk again. 5.35, 5.36, 5.37/km. ****e. I need to average 5.37 to hit target 2. RUN. Walk another bit. Took an orange slice from a kid as I walked past. I felt deflated. Stillorgan dual carriageway is not a nice part of the route - in fact it's rubbish and is a real black mark against the organisers. RUN WILL YA. Got back jogging a bit, pain still there. Went a little faster, cramp pains shooting down the legs on each step. GO A BIT FASTER FFS. 5.38, 5.39, 5.40/km. 5.40 is 4 hour time. That's target 3. I must speed up. An old man jogged past me. WTF is happening here? Sped up and put him back in his place. Don't walk. Felt like I was going in a sprint for the last km. Cramp cramp cramp on every step. Break the 4 hour. Do it.

Near the line I seen the clock. 4.00:thirtysomething. Maybe it's the gross time. I might have done it. Stopped my watch after the mat - 4.00:48. It didn't take me 49s from starting the watch to crossing the start line. Got a txt - "Great strong finish"
    "What's my chip time?"
    Picture back from the app - 4.00:31. Deflation. Just then I was given my medal - took it off. Gutted. Waddled up for the t-shirt and goody bag. Put the medal in there. Another long needless walk through the bag zone. Was frozen cold. Met the wife and her friends, threw on a t-shirt and posed with my medal. Dying inside. Went for a pint and couldn't drink it. Felt weak and felt like vomiting. Had to get food so left the pub and got chips and a burger. That sorted my belly, but not my mind.

I was told, and I read here and other places that you feel 100% after a marathon. Full of elation and joy after it. 31 seconds. To me, utter failure. I did the most of the training (missed a bit when the baby was born), trained hard when training with a goal in mind. Even had 3 backup goals in case it went to crap. It went worse. 18 weeks of effort wasted. "Oh it's your first one - you did great". Bull****. First or 100th, it's all the same. Why pander to failure? I enjoyed the run, loved the crowds, the atmosphere was great, the route top notch (apart from the dual carriageway), but I left Dublin disappointed in myself.

31 seconds. **** it anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

but I left Dublin disappointed in myself.

Longest race I've ever done is 900 nautical miles on a boat.. 5 times, never won it , came close once. Doing the race is the win, the achievement, be proud of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Steve wrote: »
    Longest race I've ever done is 900 nautical miles on a boat.. 5 times, never won it , came close once. Doing the race is the win, the achievement, be proud of it!

Top man!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OOnegative wrote: »
    Top man!!!

:D

Next year's goal for Juke.... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Steve wrote: »

Thats some length of a boat!

:)

I have to say, I do get it. The goal is the goal and I was never the type that could blithely say "close enough, that will do".

My first time at DCM I finished in 4.32, 2 minutes outside my target and although it wouldn't be true to say I was gutted or anything like that, still it rankled a little, its as if the job wasn't fully done.

Thats why I was here again this year, it was a loose end at the back of my mind and its why two years later I put the work in and did the job properly.

You should take some pride in running a 4.00.31 marathon, its a time beyond a hell of a lot of people and nothing to be sniffed at. But if you really are disappointed with the time then come back and try it again, because I got to tell you, as a 2nd time runner that hit all of my targets, that second DCM was a joy from start to finish and worth every step of that training.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

To me, utter failure. I did the most of the training (missed a bit when the baby was born), trained hard when training with a goal in mind. Even had 3 backup goals in case it went to crap. It went worse. 18 weeks of effort wasted. "Oh it's your first one - you did great". Bull****. First or 100th, it's all the same. Why pander to failure? I enjoyed the run, loved the crowds, the atmosphere was great, the route top notch (apart from the dual carriageway), but I left Dublin disappointed in myself.

I feel your pain roosterman, for quite a long time i couldn't even drive down nutley lane without cursing it as it was my lowest point in the 2011 marathon. missed my A, B & C targets that year and didnt like wearing my finisher tee.

Time gives perspective, finishing any marathon, even the ones that dont sit well with you are an achievement!!
    There is one surefire way to get that monkey off your back and thats to go back and smash it next time (or at the 3rd time in my case!!)

keep the head up, let the disappointment pass and come back stronger for it. I look forward to reading your race report next year or the year after where you have the run you wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Okay, deep breath, here's my DCM Race Report…

*you might want to grab a cuppa or a biccie cos this is long, sorry*

My official finish time was 4:55:17

I'm putting that out there before I say anything else because at the moment, that's all that's going through my head… screaming through my head….is the time I finished in.

My splits were: 11:36, 11:03, 11:01,10:58, 11:02, 10:43, 11:04, 10:08, 10:15, 10:26, 10:45, 12:00 (pittstop), 10:41

11:03, 10:45, 10:56, 11:31, 11:11, 11:22, 11:03, 11:21, 12:37, 11:36, 11:08, 11:40, 11:48, and 11:03

I started training for DCM last November.

I had signed up as soon as the places became available to the general public. Like everyone who runs a marathon, I had my reasons for doing so. DCM was particularly special as it was Dublin and my first. I knew the training plans would start in June and I was determined to be ready for them. I kept running all through the winter, utterly determined that I'd be at the level needed in June to undertake the training. One time in March when I was out in the snow, a neighbor asked me was I training for London. I laughed and said no, DCM. Then he laughed and said that's not until October! I just smiled. He must have thought I was nuts.

June finally arrived! The novice thread opened up on boards and on Strava and things quickly became very exciting. The wonderful mentors took me and my DCM buddies under their wing. The training plan was printed out, laminated and stuck up on a kitchen press. I got a second calendar and marked ahead for the next 18 weeks on it what my lsr would be. I placed it in the kitchen where everyone would see it. I was no longer “training to train”. At last, I was training for DCM. Woohoo!

The training was everything I imagined it would be. Finally I had a sense that hey, I'm a runner! Not just someone out plodding around. It was my first time to follow a training plan. I learnt about hill sprints, pace runs and my personal favorite, strides. Not all the runs went well, most did but of course you remember the ones that didn't go as planned. The mentors and my Strava buddies rallied round me, assuring me I could do it. The weeks rolled on. The tiredness set in, my legs ached as my body objected to what I was putting it through. I pushed on. It would be worth it at DCM, I told myself. I promised myself.

October 28th 2018, DCM

Alarm goes off at 0600. I jump up like a kid on Christmas morning. Oh my gosh, this is it! Today I run a marathon. A marathon!

I force down a bagel with peanut butter, half a banana and a small coffee. Then I put on the running outfit I had carefully laid out the day before, complete with bib and a little rainbow heart pin for Georgia. My bag is already packed. I go over my check list. My husband checks it for me too, just in case I miss something. Into the car and we're on our way.

While my husband parks the car, I jump out and head to the Shelbourne where a group of us from boards have agreed to meet up. It's amazing how I'm meeting most of these people for the first time yet I know them. They have become a big part of my life. We've laughed and giggled together. We've swapped stories of pre race nerves and encouraged each other. It's wonderful to finally meet them in person. We eventually break up to go our separate ways. Juke, Strawberry Swan and I are in the same wave so we head off together.

We three girls have the same plan, to set off at the back of wave 3. We are busy chatting and the distraction is great. I don't hear any particular announcement that our wave has started, just see the heads on the horizon start bobbing and knew this was it! I think of my Dad. I'm on my way!

Myself, Juke and Strawberry Swan wish each other the very best and we're off! The girls have pace bands and I'm wondering if I've made my first mistake. I had decided not to wear one. I know I need to run the first 6 miles slow. This will make or break my marathon. I also have times in my head that I hope to hit the halfway point in etc. I didn't wear a pace band for the same reason I didn't want to run with a pacer. My goal time to finish is 4:40. Given my HM time is 2:14 I'm the first to admit that I could be setting myself an unobtainable target here. A voice in my head is telling me that math doesn't add up. Still, I want to challenge myself. I want to see what I can do. Like every good runner I have a plan B. My plan B is to just make it home and cross that line. After all, I have no idea how I'm gonna feel in mile 23,24, 25, 26.

Miles 1-3:

This part of the race is lovely. I'm chatting to the girls, waving to the photographers, high giving the kids. I feel I'm taking it easy, maybe a bit too easy but that's OK.
    I spot my husband around now. He's brought his bike with him so he can meet me at a few spots along the course. I usually go to races alone so it's lovely to see him. The joy and pride on his face as I pass doesn't go unnoticed.

I'm supposed to be going easy for this part. In my head I have the marathon broken up into several milestones. The first one is to get to the Phoenix Park. I feel very excited! The crowds are cheering us on as we move up into Stoneybatter. I'm having a great time. Juke and Strawberry Swan are beside me and they look as happy as I feel. Brilliant.

Miles 4-7:

There's the Park! I'm nearly home! I am home! Sure,my footsteps are all over Chesterfield Avenue! The sun has come out so I peel off my arm warmers and take my first gel at mile 5. I'm trying hard not to speed up with excitement and it's hard. In just a few minutes I will see my babies. My heart is pounding. I look around as I go through a water station for Juke and Strawberry Swan. I can't see them. Oh God! I reassure myself that when I slow up going through Castleknock village, the girls will catch me up. Unfortunately I don't see them again. I didn't feel I was going too fast, in fact my 10k time is a little slower than I would have liked but I tell myself that's good. I've many more miles to go.

Out the Castleknock gates and I can hear the music and cheering coming from the village. I know what to expect as I've stood there with them for the last 2 years cheering on the runners as they passed. Today, it's my turn! I'm slowing my steps and scanning the crowd to my right. Where are they?! The band call out my name! Brilliant! I'm glowing. My eyes still searching the crowd…then…. I
    I see them!

There's my Mom with my five beautiful sons beside her, all cheering and hollering as they spot me too! My Mom is holding up her phone and I know my brother, 3000 miles away is watching me too! Tears sting my eyes. I stop to hug and kiss everyone. They know I cannot stop for long and must keep running. I tell them I love them and start to run. My three oldest sons start running alongside me, on the path behind the crowds. More tears in my eyes. Goddammit I'm a mess! Behind the tears I see myself doing the exact same thing as a kid when my Daddy would pass us in his marathons. I turned my head to look back at my Mom, my beautiful Mom, and her face is crumpled with tears. I sign “I love you” to her. Ah God, I'm in bits!

My boys are still running alongside me telling the whole world “that's our Momma!” sure every second person there knows me. Some knew they'd see me, others get a surprise! It's all good! I get to the corner at Myos and my boys can't follow me anymore. We embrace through a gap in the crowd. More tears. Jesus H Christ, what am I like?! I tell my boys I love them, throw my hands in the air and take the amazing atmosphere in. Running down College Road I meet more friends. Their shout outs set my soul soaring.

Right, next milestone is Crumlin…let's go…

Miles 8-12:

I'm still feeling good. I look at my watch. I feel I'm still on track for a 4:40ish finish. I take a gel at mile 10. I'm starting to feel a bit nauseous. I push the thought from my mind and plow on. The crowds at Chapelizod are amazing. They call out my name and I feel like a superstar. There's a hill coming up. I found it tough going on the training run. How would I find it now with 10 miles on my legs? I slow down but keep running. I speed up on the way down. The mentors would be proud of me!

The crowd had thinned a bit now but suddenly I hear my name being called in a familiar way. It's my friend! She gives me a huge shout out and I throw my hands in the air as I pass them. My heart is glowing. Coming into Dolphins Barn the crowds pick up again. The noise is wonderful. I'm high fiving the kids, thanking everyone who gives me a shout out. I'm feeling good, the nausea hasn't gotten any worse. People are telling me I look strong. Almost halfway now. I spot some portapotties just after a water station and decide to make a stop. I wasn't uncomfortable, I just thought I'd take advantage of it seeing as where I was in the course. The nausea comes back with a bang.

Miles 13-15

The halfway mark will be coming up soon. I'm finding it hard to get back into the rhythm I had before I made a pittstop. I begin to regret my decision to stop. What the hecks wrong with me? I know I've slowed down. Okay, I'm running on a long drag but still, I need to start picking up the pace here. Very soon I'll need to take another gel and I had no idea how I was going to get it down. I have a small bag of skittles in my belt. Maybe I could eat them instead? I think of my Daddy. Tears sting my eyes. Oh God, please don't let me struggle this early on. Jesus, I ran 22 miles in my training. Is it because I stopped at mile 12? I didn't even want to go!

I hear my name being called and I look to see my husband waving and smiling at me. Without thinking, I rush to him, telling him how I feel like I could throw up. The shock on his face tells me I shouldn't be feeling this now, not here. He reassures me I'll be okay and I run on.

I pass the halfway mark and I'm slower than I was supposed to be. I'm now supposed to be starting the fast part of the race. Oh God.

I'm on the Crumlin road now. Again, like the PP, my footsteps are all over these roads. I distract myself from my cramping stomach by recalling the runs I've done there and how I used to dream of the day I'd run DCM. Well, here I am! I smile, the distraction is working. It's just a few miles before/after work, I tell myself. There's the hospital! Milestone #2 down. The crowd is small but very friendly. I hear a loud cheer with my name. I look to see some friends from work waving their hands and cheering me on. They tell me I look great. My stomach has settled a bit. Maybe it's just mind over matter? I thank them and run on.

I've got the Walkinstown roundabout on my mind. I'm glad I covered the course on my training. The miles are passing quickly enough but I've a long way to go yet. My stomach feels the best it has in a while so I decide to take my next gel just before mile 15. Whatever way I squirted it out, it hit the back of my mouth making me gag. I need to get this down, I kept thinking, or I'll hit that wall. I pulled out the emergency skittles and popped one in my mouth...then I discreetly spat it out and went back to struggling with the gel.

Oh my God, I'm in trouble here. I had big problems with tolerating gels on my lsr's in the beginning of my training but I got it sorted out. Or at least I thought I had. I thought of my Dad. I can't finish this marathon without fuel. What am I gonna do? The thoughts of letting my Daddy down was unbearable. I'm only at mile 15. I gave myself a pep talk as I ran. I need to calm down and stop wasting precious energy worrying about what might not happen. Run the mile you're in. C’mon.

Miles 15-18

The crowds are great but I haven't really been paying attention as I was struggling to ingest another gel. I finally get it down. The water with a half zero tablet helps. I hit the Walkinstown roundabout and the crowd is electric. I feel a surge of energy. I feel my Daddy reassuring me that I'll get through this. There's music playing and the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. “I'm still standing”. The song my Dad had told me when he was ill, to listen to, whenever I felt that life was hard or I was struggling. Tears filled my eyes. The crowd are amazing and I'm a little embarrassed in case they spot the emotion on my face. I see a blurry face jump in front of mine. They're trying to get my attention. I blink the tears away. It's my best friend. We hug. They can hear the song too. We're both emotional. They tell me I'm amazing. Am I? I thank them and run on. I move on a short distance when I spot another friend whooping and cheering for me. They've even made a poster for me. Oh my gosh, I am humbled truly by everyone's support.

The miles are passing quick enough but I'm becoming tired. I'm fighting it as best I can. My husband appears again around mile 18. He seems relieved to see how I am, that I'm still running. I tell him I'm tired. I've stopped thinking about a goal time. I just want to make it home. I feel like a fool, I mustn't have trained right. Worst of all, I feel like I've let my mentors down. That thought gnaws at my brain for the rest of the race.

I knew it would be hard but I didn't think I'd struggle this early and that has me worried. My husband tells me it's OK to slow down and even walk for a bit if I need to. His voice is calm and reassuring. His whole presence settles me. He leaves me to cycle on further. I watch his head until he disappears in the distance.

Somewhere around here the 4:30 pacers pass me out. I didn't even know how close they were. In a blink, they were ahead of me. I kept them in sight for about a mile. Then they were gone.

I chat to a guy near me who has started to walk. I feel for him but it's also reassuring that I'm not the only one struggling. We exchange words of encouragement to each other before I leave him.

Miles 19-22

I'm grateful that the miles are passing quickly enough when I feel so tired. I'm starting to feel cold too. I have taken some lucozade and it was delicious. My stomach is still cramping but it's the overwhelming tiredness that's getting to me. I wonder what state I'd be in if I hadn't followed a plan. I'm so glad I ran the route on my training because I know what's ahead, what turn etc. I can't imagine feeling this weak with miles to go and running an unfamiliar route.

Around this time I start to walk for a few seconds. It breaks my heart but I'm so tired and so cold. I take my last gel at mile 20. My head tells me that if I keep running I will collapse but if I take the odd little walk break I might get through this. The crowd are amazing. They offer every type of jelly to me. My stomach turns at the thoughts of it. I keep thinking I'd love a banana! A banana would save me now. Believe it or not I never even thought of asking my husband to get me one!

My husband has maintained a constant vigil by my side since mile 18 or so. He cycles beside me when he can, encouraging me before racing off to wait for me at a tricky bit. I think of my Dad. What would he say to me? What got him through tough spots? I know he found his first marathon very tough and on his second, he knocked over 30 minutes off his time.

Heartbreak Hill is coming up. I walk up like everyone around me. I think of how on my 22 training run I ran up it not a bother. Look at the state of me now! I think of my mentors and feel ashamed that I'm struggling. They trained me better than this!

I think of my Dad again. He seems very far away now. In my mind I get angry. Jesus Dad, I need you. Whisper something in my ear, you could send me a sign that you're beside me. I'm here, dying on my feet, trying to get up this hill and you're nowhere near me!

…and then I felt him say “look up, I'm about 20 feet in front of you.” I raised my head and saw my husband waving madly, smiling, cheering me up the hill. He was about 20 feet in front of me. More tears. I waved back with a smile and started running again. My husband cheered me when I got to the top.

In my tiredness I think I've passed a lucozade station. My shoes are sticking to the ground and it makes me laugh. I ask someone did I miss the lucozade. I'm not sure but someone hands me a cup and I drink it with glee. I might just get through this.

Miles 23-25

I'm running for as long as I can. I know I will need to stop again but I'm fighting it. On the Stillorgan road I see my brother in law and sister in law. They are chatting with my husband. They give me a big cheer. It's brilliant and gives me a boost for another while. Soon enough I feel tired again. I don't know how the 4:40 pacers haven't caught up with me. I brave a look behind me, no sign of them yet.

The crowds are amazing but I'm so tired I hardly hear them. They call my name and I can barely say thank you but I smile. My husband is still cycling beside me. I tell him I'm never running again. He rolls his eyes with a reassuring smile and says you'll be back out tomorrow.

I feel so bad now. I'm on the home straight. I should be euphoric. I'm in bits! I stop to walk for a moment. I'm so cold. I notice a man in the crowd is talking to me. He seems concerned. He has a bottle of coke in his hand and he's holding it out for me. You need to take this, I hear him say. I raise my hand to take the bottle and its shaking. Oh man, I'm in bad shape. I take a sip. It's delicious. At his insistence I take another. He wants me to take the bottle with me. I think of the other runners coming along after me who will need it like I did and I tell him to keep the bottle for them. He smiles and touches my cheek by way of understanding. He tells me I'm almost home and not to stop. I thank him and start running again.

I vow not to stop anymore. I feel a little surge of energy as I move on. Then I feel a whoosh of air come up beside me as the 4:40 pacers pass me out. I dig deep and try to hang on but I can't do it. I last a few minutes only. I started at the back of wave 3. Even in my confused state I know that my time sucks. More tears flood my eyes. I think of my training. I felt I worked hard. I gave it everything I had and only missed one run and that was on the instructions of my doctor. How could I have messed today up so bad?

Mile 26 finally!

I guess the coke did the trick. I kept running. The crowd were incredible. They kept shouting out what distance was left. I saw the mile 26 sign like it was a beautiful dream. I kissed it with my hand as I passed. I saw the blue finish sign in the distance and felt like I could cry. I didn't though. I put my energy into keeping my legs running. I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna finish this marathon! My time sucks but I'm gonna finish this thing!

Then I saw the blue carpet. The blue carpet! How many times had I dreamt of this moment? 10, 50,100? I turned to look back at my husband who had pulled in a little further back and was watching me with the biggest smile on his face.

Oh my God, this was it. A runner in front of me was waving the American flag. It was too perfect. I thought of my Dad. With every scrap of energy I had left, I threw my arms in the air and smiled the whole way down to the finish.

I crossed the line in disbelief that I had done it, finally. My medal was put around my neck. It was all a blur. A lovely blur. I thanked the volunteer and kissed my medal. I was handed my DCM top and put it on to keep warm more than anything else! I made my way to collect my bag. I wasn't feeling good at all. I could barely stand and I was so cold my teeth chattered. I couldn't think of my bib number to get my bag. The lady had to examine the bib on my top underneath my DCM top to get the number. She asked a volunteer beside her to get a medic but they couldn't find one. I needed to sit so I reassured them I'd be OK and left to find a step to sit on. I called my husband barely able to speak, but he told me he wasn't allowed in where I was. Mmm OK… I was on my own here.

I sat down on a step and rested for a moment. I was so tired and so cold. A kind runner approached me asking was I alright. I nodded. He said I didn't look OK. He looked about for a medic too but couldn't see one. Again, I reassured him I'd be OK and he went on his way but looked unhappy doing so.
    Somehow my numb fingers opened the knot on my bag and I could get at my supplies. I took out my tinfoil blanket, my warm clothes, my hat, my gloves. I ate some chocolate. Soon I felt strong enough to stand up and I could go meet my husband. I told him I needed hot fluids so he got me a tea and I began to thaw.

I was very disappointed with my time going over 4:45 but hey I got there in the end. It was my first marathon. I learnt a lot out there. It was still an amazing day.

Ps: Yo Dad, I did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I have to say, I do get it. The goal is the goal and I was never the type that could blithely say "close enough, that will do".

My first time at DCM I finished in 4.32, 2 minutes outside my target and although it wouldn't be true to say I was gutted or anything like that, still it rankled a little, its as if the job wasn't fully done.

Thats why I was here again this year, it was a loose end at the back of my mind and its why two years later I put the work in and did the job properly.

You should take some pride in running a 4.00.31 marathon, its a time beyond a hell of a lot of people and nothing to be sniffed at. But if you really are disappointed with the time then come back and try it again, because I got to tell you, as a 2nd time runner that hit all of my targets, that second DCM was a joy from start to finish and worth every step of that training.

I get your point about the goal being the goal but missing out by 0.0021% should never be considered failure by any of us hobby runners. If we keep running we'll smash those goals in the future anyway and we'll look back and wonder what all the fuss and panic was about

Applegirl I'm not going to quote your post, it's too long!

I am absolutely thrilled to bits for you. To me this is what the Novices thread is about. I haven't been a fan of the "it's my third marathon but I still consider myself a novice" novices. This thread should always be for people who are unaware of the enormous nature of the task they are taking on. You shouldn't be worried about your time...you ran a marathon, end of! I also looked at your finisher pics and you must be the happiest and smiliest finisher of the day!!:pac:

Sorry that you had thoughts of letting the mentors down...you could not have made me more proud to be honest. As for 5 kids....sweet Jesus how do you manage to look so good??

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Epic story...thanks for sharing!

Applegirl I'm not going to quote your post, it's too long!

I am absolutely thrilled to bits for you. To me this is what the Novices thread is about. I haven't been a fan of the "it's my third marathon but I still consider myself a novice" novices. This thread should always be for people who are unaware of the enormous nature of the task they are taking on. You shouldn't be worried about your time...you ran a marathon, end of! I also looked at your finisher pics and you must be the happiest and smiliest finisher of the day!!:pac:

Sorry that you had thoughts of letting the mentors down...you could not have made me more proud to be honest. As for 5 kids....sweet Jesus how do you manage to look so good??

Skyblue thank you so much for your kind words. They soothe the disappointment. I'm glad I didn't let you down. I truly felt I had. Thank you again for everything.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Epic story...thanks for sharing!

Sorry its so long. You could have run another marathon while you were reading it F!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Sorry its so long. You could have run another marathon while you were reading it F!

Having had a few days to think about things.....there should be no feelings of disappointment....for those of us lucky enough to walk/run/hobble over the blue carpet of the finish line of a marathon, it was a tremendous victory of mind over body, the mental and physical strength we showed should never be under estimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Epic read, Applegirl. For whatever reason your training really stood out to me. I think it was the dedication and commitment you showed in your training that I admired.
    Whether it was running at ridiculous hours of the morning, or running on in bloody socks after bashing your knee on a long run, yours were always runs that inspired.

Mike Tyson said "everybody got a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
    That quote to me seems to accurately describe our first marathon. It's all new, we just didn't know what lay ahead, how could we? Don't worry about your time. We all had plans of serene negative splits and sailing up Heartbreak Hill, and some achieved that, and a very well done to them. For others, the marathon punched us in the face, but we kept going, pushed through and got to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Oh Applegirl I was heartbroken reading your post. I’m gutted you felt the way you did when running. You weren’t letting anybody down and most certainly not us. We couldn’t be more proud of all of you for finishing and the training ye put in. The problem with the marathon is how easy it is for things to go wrong a bit on the day and then you can’t just do another one a week later like you could with a 5km say. We build it up so much in our heads.

You did yourself proud out there and I bet all the friends that were supporting you on the course thought you were amazing. Your Dad must be so so proud. I can’t believe the I’m Still Standing part - that finished me off reading it!! How did you keep going!!

How in God’s name do you train with 5 kids????

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Epic read, Applegirl. For whatever reason your training really stood out to me. I think it was the dedication and commitment you showed in your training that I admired.
    Whether it was running at ridiculous hours of the morning, or running on in bloody socks after bashing your knee on a long run, yours were always runs that inspired.

That quote to me seems to accurately describe our first marathon. It's all new, we just didn't know what lay ahead, how could we? Don't worry about your time. We all had plans of serene negative splits and sailing up Heartbreak Hill, and some achieved that, and a very well done to them. For others, the marathon punched us in the face, but we kept going, pushed through and got to the finish.

Thanks so much A. Lovely post that brings me a lot of comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Guys the reports are brilliant. Sorry for not doing individual replies. The last few days have been busy!! Keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

I couldn't agree more... And the fact that we're now also only finding out you have 5 little boys at home also shows how well you carried out the rigorous training without ever complaining about how hard it was to fit in around what much be an extremely busy life. They must be so proud of you, as is you dad. Really super achievement, be proud x

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

[QUOTE=Steve;

Adding others that gave bib numbers.[/QUOTE]

My bib number was 11409 and my time was 4:41:21
    I've tried to add a few times but no can do :)

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh Applegirl I was heartbroken reading your post. I’m gutted you felt the way you did when running. You weren’t letting anybody down and most certainly not us. We couldn’t be more proud of all of you for finishing and the training ye put in. The problem with the marathon is how easy it is for things to go wrong a bit on the day and then you can’t just do another one a week later like you could with a 5km say. We build it up so much in our heads.

You did yourself proud out there and I bet all the friends that were supporting you on the course thought you were amazing. Your Dad must be so so proud. I can’t believe the I’m Still Standing part - that finished me off reading it!! How did you keep going!!

How in God’s name do you train with 5 kids????

Thanks Kellygirl. Well, I gave it all I had and I'm proud of that. I finished the race which as I know now, is no easy thing to do.

ariana` wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more... And the fact that we're now also only finding out you have 5 little boys at home also shows how well you carried out the rigorous training without ever complaining about how hard it was to fit in around what much be an extremely busy life. They must be so proud of you, as is you dad. Really super achievement, be proud x

Thanks so much Ariana, for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thanks Kellygirl. Well, I gave it all I had and I'm proud of that. I finished the race which as I know now, is no easy thing to do.

Great report. Some days are for arbitrary time targets. Some days are for very different reasons. You had much better reasons to run on Sunday than some arbitrary time target. Well done on getting through it with such guts and determination. Shame is definitely not an emotion you should be feeling after that. Pride!!

I am absolutely thrilled to bits for you. To me this is what the Novices thread is about. I haven't been a fan of the "it's my third marathon but I still consider myself a novice" novices. This thread should always be for people who are unaware of the enormous nature of the task they are taking on.

It was my second. Sorry for intruding on your thread.

Ah sorry I didn't mean it like that...:(

Great report. Some days are for arbitrary time targets. Some days are for very different reasons. You had much better reasons to run on Sunday than some arbitrary time target. Well done on getting through it with such guts and determination. Shame is definitely not an emotion you should be feeling after that. Pride!!

Aw thanks so much. That means a lot.

• Advertisement

Skyblue didn't mean it like that and I think you know that too. Of course you were welcome on the thread. You brought the experience of having run a marathon to the thread and we all benefited by that.

Advertisement