Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Benwell bangers. They were rubbish. Snap bangers were all we were "allowed" but we managed to get the other ones.

Yes, played the apple on a string game, plus the apple in the basin of water. Which was kind of gross when you reflect on it, especially after a few people goes!

killer when it bounced off your front teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Back in 1983, someone on our road threw a full orange gas cylinder into a bonfire. It had been stolen from a local shop (remember they used to kept outside?)

Everyone legged it as it exploded up in the air and disintegrated, showering bits everywhere.
    I guess that proves that ignorant jerks existed long before the year 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

branie2 wrote: »
    Star Trekkin, across the universe!
    On the Starship Enterprise under Captain Kirk
    Slowly going forward
    Cos we can't find reverse.

Where are the Klingons now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Slowly going forward
    Cos we can't find reverse.

Where are the Klingons now?

F**kers, both of you. I have that song stuck in my head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Star Trekkin, across the universe!
    On the Starship Enterprise under Captain Kirk

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, the starboard bow, the starboard bow...
    There's Klingons on the Starboard bow the starboard bow now Jim.

It's life Jim but not as we know it
    Not as we know it
    Not as.we know it Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Knock knock
    Open wide
    See what's on the other side

Knock knock
    Any more
    Come with me
    Through the magic door...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

tringle wrote: »
    Knock knock
    Open wide
    See what's on the other side

Knock knock
    Any more
    Come with me
    Through the magic door...

Tidy up!
    Goodbye! Goodbye!

one of the best mini-series that came out in the 1970s was Jesus of Nazareth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Remember that one, it was very good with Robert Powell as Jesus.

Great cast, Larry Oliver ect
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IiF1rTTGQ

Around the same time there was another mini-series about Moses, Burt Lancaster played the lead.

I'll remember one scene when he is preaching to a crowd of onlookers.

He said" My Name is..........................Moses" then just flashed thosed teeth as he smiled at all around him

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Remember the miniseries Rich Man, Poor Man as well, Falconetti the baddie was like another Jack Palance or Lee Van Cleeth and the Jordache brothers, one played by a young Nick Nolte. Also Roots (also a miniseries) , who could ever forget the story of Roots.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

North and South, starring Patrick Swayze.

They used to like showing that around Easter, along with other "holy" films.
    I found the series on YouTube, quite the stellar cast! Laurence Olivier, Ernest Borgnine...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Shogun with Richard Chamberlain, Cain And Abel. Then the Aussie mini series the Dirtwater Dynasty. TV mini series of this type were very popular in the 70's and 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I remember being sent to bed when a show called 'Pennies from Heaven' would be on. I've never watched it but I'd hazard a guess it's fairly tame by today's standards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Boys from the Blackstuff. Yosser Hughes, "gis a job".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Anyone remember the TV mini series Sins with Joan Collins which aired in the late 80s? Quite good.

Of course La Collins was more famous as the uberbitch Alexis in Dynasty. The catfights between her and Krystle (Linda Evans) were the stuff of legend lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

nearest thing you'd ever get to hot oil wresting on RTE, maybe I should have watched it!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Boys from the Blackstuff. Yosser Hughes, "gis a job".

Auf wiesersehen pet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The series lasted a lot longer than the war!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ipso wrote: »
    North and South, starring Patrick Swayze.

and David Carradine as Justin LaMotte - legend of a character.

I've just realised that I'm.now a couple of years older than Dan Sullivan was when WW2 started. I thought he was ancient when I was a kid. :(

The timeline covered by the series spanned 1939-1948.
    In Australia it ran from 1976-1983.
    They generally showed four or five episodes a week.
    In Ireland, it ran for one episode a week and if there was showjumping or snooker, it got bumped.

RTE started showing it in 1978. They still hadn't finished the run by the mid 1990s.

They are 1,114 episodes. 23 volumes on DVD. Bought them all from Eaton Films (UK distributor for Crawfords) ande-watched the lot between 2011-2017.

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em

Ooh, Betty!

I'm a biker, and this episode is very silly indeed but also very funny!

Edit: the physical comedy. press Stop at 16 minutes, the rest is just awful, I don't know how I hung on for the bad gags 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Homemade bangers made by getting a roll of caps and running a needle through every cap concertina style, remove the needle carefully and wrap the homemade banger with a match for a fuse in sellotape.

I'm a biker, and this episode is very silly indeed but also very funny!

Edit: the physical comedy. press Stop at 16 minutes, the rest is just awful, I don't know how I hung on for the bad gags 40 years ago.

Ah Frank Spencer was brilliant.

Anyone remember the TV series of Heidi? I'm currently reading the book to my 6yo daughter and some of the episodes are on YouTube.
    It seemed to be on forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Six children in the back seat of a fiesta
    Adults didn’t wear seatbelts
    Hanging off the back of tractors for a lift
    Dodging tree branches on top of trailers full of hay

Ah health and safety, nobody gave a damn :)

I think the families of the 628 road fatalities in 1978 probably did gave a damn. Road fatalities throughout the 70s were 500+ with the 80s little better. Truly shocking especially when you factor in the number of vehicles on the road then in comparison to now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I have that opening sequence and the title music burned into my memory. It would be on RTE 1 before the 6 O clock news for what seemed like a lifetime.

• Advertisement

I have that opening sequence and the title music burned into my memory. It would be on RTE 1 before the 6 O clock news for what seemed like a lifetime.

See my post above for the reason why.

Advertisement