Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Plopsu wrote: »
    Weirdly, this was also the theme to Give Us A Clue.
    Maybe at some stage, but this is the version I remember (it starts at 50 seconds):

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Maybe at some stage, but this is the version I remember (it starts at 50 seconds):

Yeah, it was before that (showing me age).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Weirdly, this was also the theme to Give Us A Clue.
    Yeah, it was before that (showing me age).

this is the original theme tune used for Give us a clue. Clearly the same tune as Grange Hill but a different arrangement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The 80s, jaysus.

100 penny sweets for £1. Or a fair amount of other stuff - 10 chomps, or Roy of the Rovers bars.

The Wombles

As others have said, we would head off in the morning to play in the fields around our housing estates. We would walk for miles, exploring, picking conkers, robbing apples & Strawberries. Heading into a spare parts yard to play in the cars. Heading into a bus graveyard to play. Playing in a massive abandoned grain silo, with asbestos roof. And in the swamps beside it, collecting frogspawn. The mother had some set of lungs on her, she's stick the head out the back window to call you in for the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Heading into a spare parts yard to play in the cars. Heading into a bus graveyard to play. Playing in a massive abandoned grain silo, with asbestos roof. And in the swamps beside it

What part of Alabama was this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

this is the original theme tune used for Give us a clue. Clearly the same tune as Grange Hill but a different arrangement

The tune credited to the maestro Alan Hawkshaw - Chicken Man - first appeared on this 1976 library LP https://www.discogs.com/rock-comedy/release/1911842

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Fuzzy Felt !

Always a Christmas present , and colouring books and pencils . Not much else to do when tv only had one channel and came from the rental shop :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The 80s, jaysus.

100 penny sweets for £1. Or a fair amount of other stuff - 10 chomps, or Roy of the Rovers bars.

The Wombles

As others have said, we would head off in the morning to play in the fields around our housing estates. We would walk for miles, exploring, picking conkers, robbing apples & Strawberries. Heading into a spare parts yard to play in the cars. Heading into a bus graveyard to play. Playing in a massive abandoned grain silo, with asbestos roof. And in the swamps beside it, collecting frogspawn. The mother had some set of lungs on her, she's stick the head out the back window to call you in for the dinner.
    Was this in Sligo Gerry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We have a small pond at the end of the garden and see the occasional frog, when my nephews were smaller they used to call it 'the swamp'.

A couple of times a frog nearly went through the lawnmower accidentally :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

My main memories of the 80s were great summers.

• Advertisement

khaldrogo wrote: »
    My main memories of the 80s were great summers.

1983, 1984, 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

What about '88?

We had a street party for the Dublin millennium

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

In 1988, I visited the Viking Centre, and in the section where you "travelled back in time" to see Vikings, I nearly had my head cut off by one who was wielding a sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

1983, 1984, 1989.

Spot on! '85 and '86 were wet thunder fests! '87 and '88 were dull and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Loved this as a kid in the seventies. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My favourite part of Roobarb was the theme music.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Memories......Abba, spangles, hop-scotch, guards and prisoners, climbing trees, chalk on a blackboard, sony walkmans, gloopy hair gel, snow washed jeans, smash hits, Top of the Pops, Roy of the rovers, community games, cross-country running, Eamon Coghlan, Thelma Mansfield, Bunny Carr, semolina, robbing orchards, hanging out in the dump, messing on railway tracks, creme eggs, frozen drinks, fizzle sticks, watching the girls skipping, Superstars, Anything Goes, The Spike, Dallas, petrol shortages, pushing cars, thumbing lifts, Hillman Hunters, arcade games, pac-man, space invaders, Johnny Logan, Adam Ant, Bee-Gees, the carnival coming to town, swinging boats, Tramore, tug of war, hurling matches on balmy summer evenings, Atari consoles, soda streams, long days on the bog, MTUSA, Fab Vinny, discos, slow sets, cadet lemonade, margarine, angel delight, show-jumping, rounders, polio vaccinations on sugar cubes, corporal punishment, tupperware, big collars, bigger hair, shoulder pads, black slip-ons with white socks, processions through the town behind the statue of the Virgin Mary, being skint,getting a lift on the bar of a bike, swimming in the local river on hot summer days...Irish soccer team playing attractive football, Liam Brady, hunting the wren, skating on frozen ponds, conker fights, jam sandwiches, stink bombs, Raleigh choppers, hubba bubba chewing gum, yo-yos, Union Jackism, The Falklands, rebel songs sang in pubs, penny sweets, black jacks, chocolate mice, star dust, wavin hurls, the six million dollar man, the invisible man, picking mushrooms in Aug, fresh new copies on Sept 1st.....thinking things would never change......

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Bovril at football matches. As someone once said "Tastes like beef flavoured tea". :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Count Down wrote: »
    Bovril at football matches.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hadn't heard that in years! I'd completely forgotten the punchline :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I visited the National Wax Museum twice in the late 80s'. Never went into the Chamber of Horrors though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The greatest female heroine of all time. Boys wanted to bed her, girls wanted to BE her. Gay boys like me adored her! :D

Lynda Carter WAS Wonder Woman!

Lynda Carter looked fantastic. I enjoyed it at the time but when I revisited it on DVD, it didn't stand up.

On the other hand, I could watch The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman all day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

branie2 wrote: »
    I visited the National Wax Museum twice in the late 80s'. Never went into the Chamber of Horrors though.

I remember a news report about the time vandals broke into it and wrecked the place. It showed the wax figure of Margaret Thatcher with a sword stuck through her head.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Thumbing a lift around the country without a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Count Down wrote: »
    Bovril at football matches. As someone once said "Tastes like beef flavoured tea". :P

Saw Alan partridge explaining that to disadvantaged teenagers on a hill walk on tv the other night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

They were great times looking back, pretty sure it didn't rain 1973 -1977 in North Co Dublin, long hot hazy sunny days on Skerries south strand, a Crunchie on a Thursday, my dad's payday, 4 of us on a sheet of corrugated iron hurtling down the slopes of the ballast pit,

Being mortified by my mother calling me in for bed from the window in front of my friends & the walk of shame, after a chat, the following night I was called in for my supper lol, never had supper in my life.

Sneaking over to my mates to watch Starskey & Hutch, not allowed in my house, Kojak, who loves ya baby!

Playing very poorly for the Harps U8 & U10 bit better at the rugby, scouts bobajob, breaking into the boat club to steal the empty glass bottles & bring them to the shop for the couple of pence glass refund. Playing dobbers (marbles), kicking ball, three square meals a day, a 1/4 of bonbons or lemon drops, deciding on a whim to walk across the fields to visit my granny & no one having a clue where I was & no one was worried, would be gone for hours.

Moved to Limerick in 1977, for 6 months I didn't even realise they were speaking english with the accent, first year was tough enough, the school was tough as fcuk compared to Skerries national school, secondary was grand though, handful of tight friends, all decent lads, only had RTE1 when we moved down WTF, life was very simple, we didn't know any different, having loads of phone numbers stored in my head, only have three now, teen disco's at Na Piarsaigh, moving on to Club Marche & Tropics & chicken in a basket, Limerick Judo Club, certainly didn't have all the stresses that a lot of teens seem to have today, my own included, we were clothed, three meals a day, no stress, life was good, wouldn't change a thing.

My folks were probably stressed out though, much like we are now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Duplicate post deleted

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The greatest female heroine of all time. Boys wanted to bed her, girls wanted to BE her. Gay boys like me adored her! :D

Lynda Carter WAS Wonder Woman!

I was a straight boy and did not want to bed this older bird. Plus the show was crap. Nice memory though.:D

• Advertisement

John Hughes Movies in the 80s and those that tried to replicate aspects of them in Irish secondary schools. It never went down too well.

Advertisement