Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Aunty Poppy's Storytime on Poparama

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Des Bishop did a good gag on 80s childhood on Friday's LLS.
    Feral children roaming the roads all day, only coming home when hungry.
    My brother had a friend when he was a child back circa 1989. The friend lived at the end of a boreen (for you city folk that's a country culture de sac). The boreen was about a mile and a half into the side of a famous hill of one of the foothills in a mountain.
    My brother and this young fella (both maybe 9) spent Saturdays roaming the hills and valleys and rivers with a school bag on their backs filled with snacks and drinks. There were no mobile phones to keep track of where they were and they would stay gone all day until they were hungry enough for supper to bring them home.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Esel wrote: »
    One of my great-aunts smoked a pipe. :)

I heard that yer sister "smokes" a lot of "pipe" as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The friend lived at the end of a boreen (for you city folk that's a country culture de sac).

Is that one of those cultural dead ends? :D

I know, I know. Bloody autocorrect...

• Advertisement

A boreen leads to a farm yard

The Smurfs and the Snorks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Heroditas wrote: »
    Is that one of those cultural dead ends? :D

I know, I know. Bloody autocorrect...

Touche

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Gummi Bears, Bouncing here and there and everywhere. High adventure that's beyond compare

Morph, the fellow made out of plasticine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

branie2 wrote: »
    Morph, the fellow made out of plasticine

Pingu, the penguin made out of plasticine. Got up to mischief a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Halls Pictorial Weekly

Absolute class even now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cIAhCGhZ5E

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The Magic Roundabout .

The original one , not the revamped one that children watch now . I always loved Zebedee :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    The Magic Roundabout .

The original one , not the revamped one that children watch now . I always loved Zebedee :o

Oh how I loved it!

Gonna go down TV memory lane now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Worzel Gummidge

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Oh how I loved it!

Gonna go down TV memory lane now!

Ahh , brilliant G !!

Many a happy evening watching that !

@Rubberlegs , Worzel and Aunt Sally , geez we all watched some brilliant , but creepy childrens tv :p

Anyone remember Kizzy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Anything goes and Sports Stadium with the final countdown theme tune.
    Also loved superstars on RTE.

https://youtu.be/A_VIu8f7I7Y

I loved Anything Goes. Aonghus McAnally and his mad pants and Mary Fitzgerald's Make and Do. Flipper, Skippy, The Partridge Family and Batman being shown during it. Brush Shiels showing how to play the guitar. I can remember when Michael Jackson's Thriller came out and they gave out a warning that any little brother or sisters might need to leave the room as they were going to show the video for the first time. The excitement! That video was the cause of me legging it home from my friends house many an evening in the dark. I lived on a country road, mostly fields on either side and was convinced zombies would come out of the fields at me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Anyone remember Kizzy ?

I do! About a traveller girl. BBC series but shown by RTE around 1977/78. I remember watching it in my cousin's house. The Phoenix And The Carpet is another good BBC series from 1976. Nearly all of the ITV children's drama has been released by Network but there's a good few BBC shows languishing in the vaults.

TV wise I grew up with it in the 70s and 80s. We lived in Dublin so always had the English channels. I grew up in 4/5/6 channel land that was RTE, UTV, BBC 1/2 and then RTE 2 and lastly Channel 4. Twas called the Piped TV, that was then called Cable TV. By the mid 1980s we had SKY and the Super Channel and MTV courtesy of what was then a company called Cablelink. Not all of us paid for it. Many had a hole through the Soffit board, cut into the cable and ran a line down to the telly. The reception was usually crap and affected those further down the line that were paying for it.

Some TV from the 70s/80s that I remember as a child. All English.

Irish wise in the 70s, it was the following. (This is not the original.) But it was decent stuff.

Pat's chat and Fortycoats as well. Bosco can go F itself. Appalling stuff. Lots of really crap RTE stuff that just tried to poorly copy the Brits and probably left RTE only people to suffer a backwards period compared to others. West of the Shannon anyway.:D

I enjoyed English TV when it was at its best.:D Gone to fook now.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod, I remember those so well! We moved from London to Ireland in 1980 and was then stuck with RTE1 and 2, though I did love Fortycoats. I have the Bagpuss collection on DVD and was gutted when my 6yr old had absolutely no interest in it recently :(
    I remember Pat Ingoldsby coming to the Giving Tree at one of our local shopping centres and my late Dad chasing after him with my little sister so she could say hello to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Grandeeod wrote: »
    TV wise I grew up with it in the 70s and 80s. We lived in Dublin so always had the English channels. I grew up in 4/5/6 channel land that was RTE, UTV, BBC 1/2 and then RTE 2 and lastly Channel 4. Twas called the Piped TV, that was then called Cable TV. By the mid 1980s we had SKY and the Super Channel and MTV courtesy of what was then a company called Cablelink. Not all of us paid for it. Many had a hole through the Soffit board, cut into the cable and ran a line down to the telly. The reception was usually crap and affected those further down the line that were paying for it.

I remember when we started to get Sky via Cablelink. Then there was the BSB channel and also Super Channel. You'd have one channel for a few months and then it would change again to another one.
    The programmes they had were awful! Sky then merged with BSB and eventually by the early 90s the Sky behemoth that we all know was starting to take shape in this part of the world.
    The kids programmes were actually good on Sky back then though - Transformers, Mask, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Zoids, GI Joe...

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Grandeeod, I remember those so well! We moved from London to Ireland in 1980 and was then stuck with RTE1 and 2, though I did love Fortycoats. I have the Bagpuss collection on DVD and was gutted when my 6yr old had absolutely no interest in it recently :(
    I remember Pat Ingoldsby coming to the Giving Tree at one of our local shopping centres and my late Dad chasing after him with my little sister so she could say hello to him :)

My 10 year old daughter still watches the Bagpuss DVD I bought 8 years ago! We still watch the Mr. Benn DVD as well.:eek: She has her own thing but I like to go retro now and again to "educate" her on Kids TV. She loves Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo. We gotta pass all this down the line. Feck it, I still love Dexters Lab and Johnny Bravo and back then I was just watching for fun.
    Heroditas wrote: »
    I remember when we started to get Sky via Cablelink. Then there was the BSB channel and also Super Channel. You'd have one channel for a few months and then it would change again to another one.
    The programmes they had were awful! Sky then merged with BSB and eventually by the early 90s the Sky behemoth that we all know was starting to take shape in this part of the world.
    The kids programmes we're actually good on Sky back then though - Transformers, Mask, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Zoids, GI Joe...

I hear ya!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

After Channel 4 came along it was stasis on 'the pipe' for a few years at six channels but even in those days the system could have accommodated a lot more, around 1987/88 we got Music Box and Sky Channel. People actually wrote letters into the papers worried that we'd be swamped with satellite 'filth' and, of course, pensioners were worried that their 'pipe' would go up, when the only thing they actually watched was The Angelus and Sunday Mass :rolleyes:

Music Box wasn't half bad, but within about a year of us getting it it went bang and we got Super Channel instead, lots of ancient BBC/ITV cheap comedy reruns along with "continental" stuff like Van der Valk (which was actually a Thames TV production) and "The Human Body" which I watched obsessively every day on my school lunch break in the hope of seeing nudey lady bits, and it did deliver, eventually :P

Sky Channel was crap, I was too old to watch DJ Kat and too male to watch Pat Sharp :p

dieselbug wrote: »
    Halls Pictorial Weekly

Absolute class even now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cIAhCGhZ5E

Loved that even if I only understood half of it at the time. I've since bought both DVDs :o
    Anyone remember Kizzy ?

I was a bit young for that one. The only thing I remember is that she was 'a person of habitual mobile habitude' and when confronted with an actual bathroom left the bath taps on and flooded the room below :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

To The Waters And The Wild, with Gerrit Van Gelderen.

Woof! said Faherty

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Weirdly, this was also the theme to Give Us A Clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I used to watch 'Why Don't You?" all the time. For some reason, I always remember it was on one morning and I was just outside the back door looking in at the telly, while my older sister was painting the year (1978) on the wall in our back garden. I was 5 at the time. I didn't want to miss the programme, but I didn't want to miss seeing the graffiti being done either.

I still live there and the 'year' lasted on the wall for a few decades, but has faded now...

Advertisement