Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Who are these "people"?

And whats the point of busstop numbers if TFI doesnt use them properly? What was the point of investing in all those new blue signs.

An excellent question, what was the f'in point. Surely people would get to a bus stop and realise that it is not DB only, the new signs were pointless. Fair enough for places without them but replacing ones that were fine is just jobs for the boys at its finest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭normanoffside

bk wrote: »
    Seriously, the TFI app, DB app, Google Maps and Moovit app will all show you the bus stop you are currently standing at, based on the GPS location. No need for actually entering the bus stop number, which takes longer.

Also most of the above allow you to favourite your frequently used stops.

Also the TFI app takes and finds based on the bus stop number just fine.

The TFI Real Time app actually has an option that you can check that allows it to open to your favourites by default when you open the app. If not selected it opens to the Search/Nearby stops page showing nearby stops based on your GPS. In both cases the above is significantly faster and less button clicks then the DB app, which takes a few clicks to get to the same page.

The TFI app is certainly not perfect, but it is quiet a bit more modern designed then the DB app, which looks very old fashioned.

Having said all that, Moovit is vastly superior to all.

We obviously use the app for different things. I just want to check on my work bus before I leave home most days and it’s not the one nearest me by GPS. I just want to see if it’s on time and leave the house to get to the stop a few minutes before it’s due.

I don’t want to use the ‘Stops near me’ as the maps never seem to work and it’s too hard to click on the stop I want.

With the DB app it’s Open-favourites-done. Takes 5 seconds.

I have had a look at the TFI app a few times and I can’t undestand it at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We obviously use the app for different things. I just want to check on my work bus before I leave home most days and it’s not the one nearest me by GPS. I just want to see if it’s on time and leave the house to get to the stop a few minutes before it’s due.

I don’t want to use the ‘Stops near me’ as the maps never seem to work and it’s too hard to click on the stop I want.

With the DB app it’s Open-favourites-done. Takes 5 seconds.

I have had a look at the TFI app a few times and I can’t undestand it at all.

The realtime Ireland app lets you do the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The realtime Ireland app lets you do the exact same thing.

Ugh

Why does TFI have 2 separate apps!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Qrt

Ugh

Why does TFI have 2 separate apps!!!!

It's awful. The real time one is usable, but needs an overhaul pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

bk wrote: »
    Only when it works! There was a period of about two years when the GPS positioning stopped working completely and it wasn't updated for two years, making it pretty useless.

Google Maps is far better and Moovit is hands down the best app.

I use it everyday, it works well and I find it incredibly reliable. What period of time are you referring to?
    devnull wrote: »
    The transport for Ireland app is a public transport journey planner that includes all public transport in the state and simply allows people to plan a journey from one location to another.

The Dublin bus one omits a large number of public transport services and really requires knowledge of bus stop numbers. If I want to go somewhere new I won't know the bus stop number but I will know the place name or road.

I know what the TFI app is. My comment is on its design and usability. DB obv just provides coverage for its own services but it does that very well. The TFI app is clunky and difficult to use.

Obviously it would be nice for one app to do everything, but they should be taking their cues from the DB design team, not whoever has produced the TFI mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

By the by, Irish Rail's journey planner app is simple and easy to use too. If you have that and the DB app there's no need to use the TFI app set at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    By the by, Irish Rail's journey planner app is simple and easy to use too. If you have that and the DB app there's no need to use the TFI app set at all.

Unless you live in an area with GAI, BE or NTA franchise services which will be quite a lot of areas around Dublin soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Other good apps are Next Bus Dublin and Next Train Ireland. Much better UI than the official DB app and easier to use. Next Bus Dublin is also being updated for the new GAI routes which is a bonus. I use Moovit as well which is also quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

DB were quick to remove the timetables from the web site 75 & 63 gone since 23:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

curryman wrote: »
    DB were quick to remove the timetables from the web site 75 & 63 gone since 23:45

Why wouldn't they,???

The time table would be wrong, not run by them anymore and has nothing to do with them as and from the last buses last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

They're all gone. Is GA using new buses the NTA got them or did they resticker the DB ones overnight?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    They're all gone. Is GA using new buses the NTA got them or did they resticker the DB ones overnight?

It's going to be a mixture of
    - New vehicles to Go-Ahead
    - Vehicles previously transferred from Dublin Bus, replaced by new ones in DB
    - Vehicles to be transfered from Dublin Bus and replaced by new ones in DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The transfers have been going on last few months so you will see a few Get type 2012-2013 then sg from 2014 up to now.

Anything 2018 182 reg are brand new to GA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I believe most (if not all) the ex DB buses have received their repaints and most have had their re-repaints with yellow fronts where required.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No sign of the 75 on the Real Time Ireland app, are they running today as a GAI service? Have several stops on the route (both ways) stored as favourites and there is no. 75 bus showing anywhere :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

coylemj wrote: »
    No sign of the 75 on the Real Time Ireland app, are they running today as a GAI service? Have several stops on the route (both ways) stored as favourites and there is no. 75 bus showing anywhere :confused:

Gone off the real time app but yes GAI are operating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Gone off the real time app but yes GAI are operating it.

TFI told us that we could track the GAI services using their Real Time app.

Edit: TFI have just tweeted this at 12:48 p.m. .......

Transport for Ireland is in the process of switching the real time information systems over to @GoAheadIreland following todays operator change on Routes 45a, 59, 63 & 75. This changeover is due to be completed shortly. In the meantime see https://bit.ly/2PIb4jD for service info

https://twitter.com/TFIupdates/status/1048902827588964352

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

coylemj wrote: »
    TFI told us that we could track the GAI services using their Real Time app.

There's an issue at the moment that the NTA are attempting to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i thought the data comes from the busses themselves?
    what specific thing would need to be changed over that is causing the down time?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i thought the data comes from the busses themselves?
    what specific thing would need to be changed over that is causing the down time?

Not directly I suspect. Busses will report back over their multiple cellular radios to GA servers which will then push RTPI related data to TII who'll then make it available via the API endpoints.

You'd expect it to be a few lines in a config but if they never tested it compatibility issues could arise in the chain of services that feed the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ED E wrote: »
    Not directly I suspect. Busses will report back over their multiple cellular radios to GA servers which will then push RTPI related data to TII who'll then make it available via the API endpoints.

You'd expect it to be a few lines in a config but if they never tested it compatibility issues could arise in the chain of services that feed the app.

good point, didn't think of that. all though i'm surprised the servers aren't directly under the NTA' control rather then being left to the bus companies. if they are doing this the way you have written it sounds like a bit of a long winded way to do it, but perhapse that's the only way?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Have the single deckers entered service yet on the 59 or are they due to enter service later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SG317

Unfortunately no single deckers have entered service yet. Today all of the routes were operated by SGs. 11501 ex SG4 was on the 59. 11524 which was on the 45A still has the Dublin Bus seat motique.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

good point, didn't think of that. all though i'm surprised the servers aren't directly under the NTA' control rather then being left to the bus companies. if they are doing this the way you have written it sounds like a bit of a long winded way to do it, but perhapse that's the only way?

I don't know how they do it but that would certainly be a poor way of doing it (although wouldn't surprise me). Many DBs have a network connection on the bus, therefore why not have the bus report directly to the RPTI server. As you said, why they are not under direct control of the NTA also surprises me (and in another way, it wouldn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As far as I know its the same with DB.

Remember RTPI is breadcrumbs. Dublin Bus Ops watch the position of busses down to the meter but feed ambiguous RTPI data to the NTA. One benefit of this is it masks how crap they in terms of reliability/punctuality from the statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Streetlites are definitely going on the 111, 184 & 185 from the 21st of October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Being longer than the Dublin Bus WS class, and also longer than a double-decker, the Streetlites aren't ideal for negotiating the roundabout at the Druid's Chair in Killiney. Although it seems a waste, having double-deckers on the 59, considering its low numbers and the fact that very few of its passengers are capable of climbing stairs.

The Streetlites are definitely going on the 111, 184 & 185 from the 21st of October.

I would have thought the 184 gets a good enough loading to justify a double decker. They are suitable for the likes of the 111 and the 185 though. I would have thought the 59 would be fully operated by single deckers and the 63 would partially operated by single deckers.

• Advertisement

Being longer than the Dublin Bus WS class, and also longer than a double-decker, the Streetlites aren't ideal for negotiating the roundabout at the Druid's Chair in Killiney. Although it seems a waste, having double-deckers on the 59, considering its low numbers and the fact that very few of its passengers are capable of climbing stairs.

I know their longer than the WS class which are quite small and not much bigger than an old City Imp minibus. I have yet to see one in the flesh but I would have thought they would be a similar length to WV class bus which managed on the 59 or are they longer.

Advertisement