Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Qrt wrote: »
    Private companies and their buses aren't subjected to the limits of physics that Marxist unions force upon the market.

It appears that poster has come late to the party ?

The issue of Privatization was one of the first dealt with quite comprehensively by the Government and the NTA at the outset of the Bus Market Opening process.

To post as the OP has,indicates either they are unaware of Government/NTA policy or perhaps wish to expand the thread ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Private companies and their buses aren't subjected to the limits of physics that Marxist unions force upon the market.

Even Marxists have the well-being of a society at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there are no marxist unions. sometimes depending on the market, limits of physics have to be forced upon the particular market to insure it works correctly and fairly for everybody. private companies and their busses, like state companies and their busses, only have limits forced upon them that prevent a negative work environment, and private companies, the big ones that would likely tender for dublin bus routes at least, have unions.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If GAI say that the bus stop heads on top of DB poles are temporary. I would suggest that they wouldn't bother updating the remainder of them with the blue heads placed on the top. I know that doing it this way could been cheaper for now but I would expect that the newer official NTA stops will become more of the norm when GAI take the remainder of the DB routes. As we go on through the week until some of the routes in Dun Laoghaire switchover next Sunday. There is going to be a lot of work undertaken to update the bus stops when it begins from tomorrow I presume? Do we know how many bus stops are going to be updated for GAI's Dun Laoghaire routes from next week & on the 21st of October?

There is something that I thought of while thinking about the stretch of the 46E route going from Blackrock DART Station to Marian Park. The 114 used to go up & down that stretch of the route through their old timetables. Nowadays that route with DB only travels down that particular stretch of the 46E when Carysfort Avenue has road closures sometimes due to roadworks. I know the road closures in Carysfort Avenue are a very rare occurrence. But is there any incentive to upgrade the bus stops along that part of the 46E route when the 114 switches to GAI in January? If GAI & the NTA agree with doing that; would there be any useful incentive to rename that old part of the 114 route through Newtownpark Avenue & Temple Hill to the 115 & have it numbered as 114/115 on their new timetables in the new year?

I'm asking you this because I want to know if the moves to include the 45B, 63A & 75A count as part of GAI's 30% planned expansion in route mileage. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pinkie10 wrote: »
    Trouble brewing between GA and IE.
    Who owns the roads out side train stations?
    Who wants money to allow GA to park buses outside train stations?

Is this behind dun Laoghaire??

I believe it's the harbour but now council as harbour is being wound down.

Db had to pay for these bays I believe.

Ga do park in them as it is blocking space for db buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What I don't get about the article implies there are drivers based in DL however there is no depot in DL it's not like Bray where there are some buses stabled. So these drivers start and finish their duties in DL and don't have to go to Donnybrook to start their duties. So bringing these buses from Donnybrook to DL is done by other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

devnull wrote: »
    For there to be a central site it needs all operators to agree to it and play ball.

GoAhead will not be making their own app and will be using the transport for Ireland journey planner.

The transport for Ireland app is ****. It doesnt allow you to put in a busstop number like the Dublin Bus one does

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

The transport for Ireland app is ****. It doesnt allow you to put in a busstop number like the Dublin Bus one does

Just type the stop number in the search box... :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

You're average person doesn't want to know how to go from one bus stop to another bus stop, they want to go from one place to another, any system that relies on you knowing a bus stop number is a really awful system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You're average person doesn't want to know how to go from one bus stop to another bus stop, they want to go from one place to another, any system that relies on you knowing a bus stop number is a really awful system.

It can be difficult to select a stop on a map. So searching by stop number, which is on almost every stop would be the easiest. I spent a minute trying to select dun loaghaire train station over the weekend.

Westmoreland street can be difficult to select the correct bus stop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Dublin Bus app is far superior to the TFI one.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Deffinately. Much easier to use too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Only when it works! There was a period of about two years when the GPS positioning stopped working completely and it wasn't updated for two years, making it pretty useless.

Google Maps is far better and Moovit is hands down the best app.

It can be difficult to select a stop on a map. So searching by stop number, which is on almost every stop would be the easiest. I spent a minute trying to select dun loaghaire train station over the weekend.

Westmoreland street can be difficult to select the correct bus stop too.

People don't want to go to bus stops they
    Want to type the place name in and find out how to get there

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The transport for Ireland app is a public transport journey planner that includes all public transport in the state and simply allows people to plan a journey from one location to another.

The Dublin bus one omits a large number of public transport services and really requires knowledge of bus stop numbers. If I want to go somewhere new I won't know the bus stop number but I will know the place name or road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought we were talking about looking at rtpi information now as opposed to linking the timelines on connections?

I've never used it as a journey planner.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The transport for Ireland app is a public transport journey planner that includes all public transport in the state and simply allows people to plan a journey from one location to another.

The Dublin bus one omits a large number of public transport services and really requires knowledge of bus stop numbers. If I want to go somewhere new I won't know the bus stop number but I will know the place name or road.

I think he means put in a bus stop number and see what buses are going from there not to there. Which is useful for places you travel from frequently (home, work, friends house, town, etc.). Regardless the TFI app allows you to do that any way.

I thought we were talking about looking at rtpi information now as opposed to linking the timelines on connections?

I've never used it as a journey planner.

Sorry - thought we were talking about the Journey Planning app - trying to reply too quick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

that go ahead have a union as will any company who would win any further routes if tendered outs?

so, the NBRU are the cause of all the delays and cancellations. not high levels of traffic, not less bus priority measures then actually needed, boarding dwell times, etc which cause delays. not busses having issues or being delaid sufficiently by traffic that they have to run short to get back on schedule so to not delay further. privatization/tendering will of course solve all of these problems?

Privatization should sort a lot of the current issues with buses being “regulated” even on Sunday mornings which means a 2 hour gap between buses rather than sending the bus straight back out when it arrives at the outer terminus .

Also the number of buses running out of service from outer terminals to garages in the centre of Dublin rather than actually running in service so that paying customers can actually have a decent service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭StreetLight

jahalpin wrote: »
    Privatization should sort a lot of the current issues with buses being “regulated” even on Sunday mornings which means a 2 hour gap between buses rather than sending the bus straight back out when it arrives at the outer terminus .

Also the number of buses running out of service from outer terminals to garages in the centre of Dublin rather than actually running in service so that paying customers can actually have a decent service.

I don't see what privatisation has to do with regulating a bus.

Also, how would you get a 175 finishing at Citywest to continue in service back to its base at Ballymount?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

jahalpin wrote: »

You obviously have no idea how a bus company is run.

There are many reasons a bus runs out of service, from driving hours, to maintenance schedules on that duty where each day that bus used is in for maintenance as it would be a different bus each day, bus is parked up for another driver or changes route, driver breaking, driver finished their duty etc etc.

Ye wha?

If I arrive at bus stop 4000 and I want to find out the next bus at Bus stop 4000 the Dublin Bus has a user friendly app to tell me.

The TFI app isnt user friendly

If I regularly use bus stop 4000 I should be able to check what buses are coming at busstops 4000.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Who are these "people"?

And whats the point of busstop numbers if TFI doesnt use them properly? What was the point of investing in all those new blue signs.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Rubbish. Most people have bus stops they use every day and they just save them as favourites.
    Other times you arrive at a stop and want to know when the next bus is so you type in the stop number.

Rubbish. Most people have bus stops they use every day and they just save them as favourites.
    Other times you arrive at a stop and want to know when the next bus is so you type in the stop number.

Exactly. No idea where dev null was coming from on that

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One of the routes Dublin Bus are no longer running soon the 17a is on a crazy schedule lately can be none of them for ages then 3 in quick succession I hope these guys do a revamp and run a tighter ship, the service goes to Beaumont hospital gods help you if you have an afternoon appointment and rely on Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sorry for being lazy but 150 pages is significant - is GoAheads data RTI or RTPI?

ED E wrote: »
    Sorry for being lazy but 150 pages is significant - is GoAheads data RTI or RTPI?

57 pages no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Exactly. No idea where dev null was coming from on that

Seriously, the TFI app, DB app, Google Maps and Moovit app will all show you the bus stop you are currently standing at, based on the GPS location. No need for actually entering the bus stop number, which takes longer.

Also most of the above allow you to favourite your frequently used stops.

Also the TFI app takes and finds based on the bus stop number just fine.

The TFI Real Time app actually has an option that you can check that allows it to open to your favourites by default when you open the app. If not selected it opens to the Search/Nearby stops page showing nearby stops based on your GPS. In both cases the above is significantly faster and less button clicks then the DB app, which takes a few clicks to get to the same page.

The TFI app is certainly not perfect, but it is quiet a bit more modern designed then the DB app, which looks very old fashioned.

Having said all that, Moovit is vastly superior to all.

Advertisement