Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No social welfare bonus this year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bonus
    noun
    Definition ‘a sum of money added to a person's wages as a reward for good performance.’

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Christmas bonus takes the edge off around christmas, and helps alleviate some bills. Not all of us are in a position to work. I'm on disability due to long-term illness. I think it's a sad reflection of society that some people begrudge a little help around christmas. God forbid one of you was in a similar situation.

Yeah, and lots of people are on disability with fake illnesses too.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Toys will be thrown out of the pram by the rock and roll brigade and it will be reintroduced.
    Instead of it in cash it should be a lidl or aldi voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

This. Having been on the dole in the past, it was a miserable experience. The worst day in work is still better than the best day on the dole.

I agree 100%.

I think some people trick themselves into believing they're happier on the dole but I doubt anybody is.

We are programmed to be busy and useful. There's no meaning or purpose or satisfaction from being on the dole.

I think social welfare could be improved a lot though. From what I can gather, people go on the dole and theres very little engagement with the social welfare office regarding training or getting a job.

I think people should have to do a minimum of 16 hours community service if on the dole as long as theyre able bodied.
    They should also have an interview at least once a month with a social welfare officer as regards what theyre doing with their life.

The thing is though, during the recession there wasnt a lot of options for people other than to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Gatling wrote:
    Is there anything official saying this or just making a claim , disability is one of the hardest benefits to actually get accepted for ,many people go through a 12 month+ wait to get approval or disapproval from the department ,

Like I said it doesn't suit your mantra
    Gatling wrote:
    As for autism various experts have Claimed the majority of adults if accessed would place on the spectrum ,that doesn't mean majority of people would qualify for permanent disability

You obviously know nothing about autism. Most people with autism suffer from anxiety. Permanent anxiety. This in itself will get you disability. Add in agoraphobia, tremors, stammering, social isolation, lowered self confidence and self esteem, depression etc, etc etc.

Most people with autism will qualify for permanent disability. There is a reason why 80 percent of high functioning autistic people in Ireland are unemployed. In the UK only 16 percent of autistic adults are in full time employment. All of the statistics are online if you bothered to look.

You need to do some research before making foolish comments. I know that it's tough for you to believe that not everyone on welfare is screwing the system. Many, many people are but many are trying their best to contribute to society and don't want hand outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,381 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yeah, and lots of people are on disability with fake illnesses too.

Perfect username :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Like I said it doesn't suit your mantra

You obviously know nothing about autism. Most people with autism suffer from anxiety. Permanent anxiety. This in itself will get you disability. Add in agoraphobia, tremors, stammering, social isolation, lowered self confidence and self esteem, depression etc, etc etc.

Not in every case not even in the majority ,and yes I understand austism and it's effects especially in young people ,
    Not everyone on the spectrum will suffer the above and if you have a link or links please share I'd be happy to read

Gatling wrote:
    As for autism various experts have Claimed the majority of adults if accessed would place on the spectrum ,that doesn't mean majority of people would qualify for permanent disability

No expert has ever claimed this. It's a throw away comment that people like to repeat. Not unlike "we don't have a homeless crisis" or "everyone on welfare are spongers"

It's estimated that 1 percent of the world's population is autistic so its totally false to claim that the majority of adults would place on the spectrum. Obviously only 1 percent tested will be placed on the spectrum as only 1 percent is autistic

Gatling wrote:
    Not in every case not even in the majority ,and yes I understand austism and it's effects especially in young people , Not everyone on the spectrum will suffer the above and if you have a link or links please share I'd be happy to read

Most do. Not a few. Most as in the vast majority.

Google 80 percent of autistic people unemployed. You will find the same statistics not just Ireland and UK but worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Naos wrote: »
    Okay - so we dish out 25m as a bonus (as quoted earlier in this thread, I'll use the figure as an example though.)

Let's say every cent goes back into the economy over Christmas.

Do you really think it's 25m going back in? What about company profits? Let's say the companies keep 20%. It would be 20m going back in, so we have just lost 5m.

Exactly. Not very expensive for spreading a little Christmas cheer among the less fortunate is it?

The point isn't to show that it all comes back, to the treasury. The point is that it stimulates economic activity, which has all kinds of benefits, so it's not as if the money is being burned. which some people would have you believe because they can't see that life isn't necessarily a zero sum game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Most do. Not a few. Most as in the vast majority.

Google 80 percent of autistic people unemployed. You will find the same statistics not just Ireland and UK but worldwide.

Found a source on Google from a professor in Manchester university said it's not true ,
    Others say 1 in 5 are unemployed .

So I'm not buying your claim don't say refer to Google , Google doesn't discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Bonus
    noun
    Definition ‘a sum of money added to a person's wages as a reward for good performance.’

Other definitions:

"something given or paid over and above what is due"

"something extra or additional given freely"

Sleeper this isn’t a court case, ease back on the hard on for links.

Jimmy. wrote:
    Sleeper this isn’t a court case, ease back on the hard on for links.

I did ease back. That's not even 10 percent of what comes up on a simple Google search. Yet some people prefer to dig & dig to find false information about autism.

Autistic people actually have a much shorter lifespan than non autistic people. 16 years shorter life span in fact. The shorter life span is not due to austism itself but the anxiety, depression, social isolation and everything else that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Far from it. Ever hear of the multiplier effect in the economy?

No and I am open to hearing about how giving away money that is to be spent will result in a positive multiplier effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I did ease back. That's not even 10 percent of what comes up on a simple Google search. Yet some people prefer to dig & dig to find false information about autism.

Autistic people actually have a much shorter lifespan than non autistic people. 16 years shorter life span in fact. The shorter life span is not due to austism itself but the anxiety, depression, social isolation and everything else that comes with it.

Autistic or not there should be no 'christmas bonus' payment for those on long term unemployment benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Naos wrote: »
    No and I am open to hearing about how giving away money that is to be spent will result in a positive multiplier effect.

Giving money to individuals who will spend it creates more income for the economy. SW recipients are known to spend a higher % of their income directly in the local economy.

Even assuming they only spend 90% the multiplier will be

1/1-0.9
    = 1/.1

= 10

which means that every €1 of new income generates €10 of extra income in the national economy.

It's a more efficient means of generating activity in the economy than capital expenditure or tax reductions.

I don't necessarily agree with the open ended 'bonus' but your point was flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Dont know what the fuss is about,they will get the Christmas bonus anyway.

Ninthlife wrote:
    Autistic or not there should be no 'christmas bonus' payment for those on long term unemployment benefit

Then no one on welfare including OAPs should get it. No one on disability.

Don't forget most people on lone parents allowance don't work either so.

Personally I don't think anyone should get it but I don't understand singling out only one sector of the welfare system.

It's been announced that they are all going to get it regardless of what we think or say here. They will most likely get an increase in the budget too. Its ridiculous. We've one of the highest paid OAPS & unemployed in the EU if not the world. We have a massive national debt & we are still borrowing so it's getting bigger. The last few budgets have been dangerous. We were better when the troika were in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

they cancelled our Christmas bonus for so many years. we just go Christmas bonus back recently and they cancelling it again . what the point giving us Christmas bonus if you go take it away from us again. We have families to buy presents to buy and we can't afford to buy our relations to buy presents this year. This is against spirit of Xmas

Smertrius wrote: »
    they cancelled our Christmas bonus for so many years. we just go Christmas bonus back recently and they cancelling it again . what the point giving us Christmas bonus if you go take it away from us again. We have families to buy presents to buy and we can't afford to buy our relations to buy presents this year. This is against spirit of Xmas

Perhaps get a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

There are jobs out there to supplement your SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wind up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Perhaps get a job?

What sort of answer is that?:mad:

You know most jobs expect people to get up out of bed and do some work most for 40 hours or even more.

We are heading into October and the telly will be getting good again you can't expect people to record all the shows they want to watch along with getting lunches ready.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,381 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What sort of answer is that?:mad:

You know most jobs expect people to get up out of bed and do some work most for 40 hours or even more.

We are heading into October and the telly will be getting good again you can't expect people to record all the shows they want to watch along with getting lunches ready.:rolleyes:

I hope you are screaming this at your grandparents :)

Isn’t it a good thing we are only on this planet for a certain length of time as it’s quiet depressing in one way this country is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

social welfare benefits covers those people too that are in wheelchairs and have dislocated limbs you asking those people to get jobs too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

social welfare benefits covers those people too that are in wheelchairs and have dislocated limbs you asking those people to get jobs too

Plenty of people with disabilities work. My wife included.

• Advertisement

People with such disabilities work, so yes they should work.

Advertisement