Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No social welfare bonus this year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Is it a bonus? Or just paid double because won't be able to get payment during the week most are off for Christmas? Or is it a legit extra week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I honestly don't think anyone's happy being on the dole.

It's a boring life of no purpose or meaning. It's also very damaging to self-esteem and selfworth.

People are happiest when they are busy and useful and have something to get up for in the morning.
    Anyone who says they are happy on the dole are either lying to you or themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

It's a boring life of no purpose or meaning. It's also very damaging to self-esteem and selfworth.

People are happiest when they are busy and useful and have something to get up for in the morning.
    Anyone who says they are happy on the dole are either lying to you or themselves.

You couldn't be more wrong. Plenty of useless cnuts out there never give working a second thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Now you've done it. Don't engage them or we'll have another 20 pages of people foaming at the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Is it a bonus? Or just paid double because won't be able to get payment during the week most are off for Christmas? Or is it a legit extra week?

I can only speak for the old age pension but my mam gets one extra payment in December which as far as i know is 85% of her normal weeks money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The Christmas bonus is usually given out on the first week of December. That one is for the week between Christmas and New Year's because the Post Office and Social Welfare office for that week or most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

pat ticket wrote: »
    If people want an xmas bonus then there should be a mechanism in place that they can have a couple of euro deducted off their weekly SW payments to be paid in a lump sum at xmas time.

Or they could just do the above themselves.

but then it wouldn't be a bonus for god sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

I think they do get a double week to cover Christmas week that they won't be able to collect payment, not sure how much the bonus is but I'm betting it's more than I get for working my ass off all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I can only speak for the old age pension but my mam gets one extra payment in December which as far as i know is 85% of her normal weeks money

Likewise. And where does it go? On presents for her grandkids or directly to her grandkids, who can't inject it back into the economy fast enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,189 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Two weeks payment and a voucher for meat.

Last year it was 85% of your stard payment.
    Never heard anything about meat tough.

• Advertisement

Last year it was 85% of your stard payment.
    Never heard anything about meat tough.
    do they not get a cow a pig and a sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

storker wrote: »
    Likewise. And where does it go? On presents for her grandkids or directly to her grandkids, who can't inject it back into the economy fast enough...

My mum spent most of it on coal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

you "outraged" about public service pensions are you?

Not at all, just pointing out that pension time bomb has not being defused. You can of course assume the head in sand position I heard it works well.

1.2 million recieved 85 per cent of their weekly payment last December. The figure was made up of 700, 000 pensioners the rest was carers those on disability and the long term unemployed (15 months or longer).

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

in fairness though christmas is not a necessity for anyone.
    give a helping hand to those in need, to get by each week for food & bills yeah definitely.
    but to get extra for christmas is a kick in the teeth to anyone working that doesn't even get a bonus themselves in their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Christmas bonus takes the edge off around christmas, and helps alleviate some bills. Not all of us are in a position to work. I'm on disability due to long-term illness. I think it's a sad reflection of society that some people begrudge a little help around christmas. God forbid one of you was in a similar situation.

Grayson wrote: »
    My mum spent most of it on coal.

so it went into the black economy..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

in fairness though christmas is not a necessity for anyone.
    give a helping hand to those in need, to get by each week for food & bills yeah definitely.
    but to get extra for christmas is a kick in the teeth to anyone working that doesn't even get a bonus themselves in their job.
    In all fairness why is it a kick in the teeth for you what others get ? Lets not forget that any of us could find ourselves on disability benefits or on Jobseekers .
    Do you begrudge a pensioner an extra 85% of one weeks money once a year to help them out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

pat ticket wrote: »
    If people want an xmas bonus then there should be a mechanism in place that they can have a couple of euro deducted off their weekly SW payments to be paid in a lump sum at xmas time.

On a related note, the next social welfare increase, if it's €5 like previous ones, will bring it up to €203 per week. A nuisance for post office staff. I wonder if they should maybe cap weekly payments at €200 for that year, with the extra €3 per week going into a fund, thus allowing jobseekers to occasionally request an extra €20 or so (providing evidence, of course) during weeks when they have several interviews. Job-seeking, if you're doing it properly, is not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

On a related note, the next social welfare increase, if it's €5 like previous ones, will bring it up to €203 per week. A nuisance for post office staff. I wonder if they should maybe cap weekly payments at €200 for that year, with the extra €3 per week going into a fund, thus allowing jobseekers to occasionally request an extra €20 or so (providing evidence, of course) during weeks when they have several interviews. Job-seeking, if you're doing it properly, is not cheap.

Or maybe we could keep it for some infrastructure investment or something useful - over 200 a week to sit around on your arse all day? - what a country.

• Advertisement

Christmas bonus takes the edge off around christmas, and helps alleviate some bills. Not all of us are in a position to work. I'm on disability due to long-term illness. I think it's a sad reflection of society that some people begrudge a little help around christmas. God forbid one of you was in a similar situation.
    this is boards, begrudgery is the local pastime around here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Most people don't begrudge the elderly, the disabled and carers a little help around Christmas.

However there is a growing sense of anger towards people who are able to work but choose not to. Also some people seem to be able to manipulate the benefits system in such a way that they are far better off not working than they would be if they had a job. The system enables them to do this.

Imagine working all week, having a long commute, struggling to pay every bill and having nothing at the end of every month. Not being able to afford another child even though you would love one. Not being able to afford the increase in rent or else a home. Despite working as hard as you can. Wondering how you will get through Christmas because it's such an expensive time. In the meantime your neighbour who doesn't officially work and is in receipt of the full gamut of social welfare payments can afford the latest toys for his children at Christmas AND is getting a SW bonus which he will spend down the off licence.

The poor OAPs, disabled and carers spend it on heating fuel. Meaning the government gets a lot of it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No bonuses should be paid for any type of welfare ,
    Give workers a tax refund for Christmas because we actually earned it ,not because we're sitting on welfare expecting a bonus

Or maybe we could keep it for some infrastructure investment or something useful - over 200 a week to sit around on your arse all day? - what a country.

If you're actively seeking employment, €200 a week doesn't go very far.

Emme wrote:
    The poor OAPs, disabled and carers spend it on heating fuel. Meaning the government gets a lot of it back.

What do those on the dole do with it , hookers and cocaine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

It’s amazing the clarity and speed of the government when dealing with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If you're actively seeking employment, €200 a week doesn't go very far.

Anyone who can't get a job in the current economic climate isn't really trying all that hard.

Anyone who can't get a job in the current economic climate isn't really trying all that hard.

It might be easier to find a job than it was a few years ago, but it still takes a lot of time and effort. And expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Interesting logic. Long term unemployed would need the bonus as much as anyone else.

80 percent of high functioning autistic people are long term unemployed. Why would you discriminate against them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hitman3000 wrote:
    Ah now what would the permanently outraged do? I suppose they all could switch to whinging about "free" houses.

Let's ban those threads too :)

Advertisement