Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No social welfare bonus this year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

you just got to love these threads....there priceless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Smertrius wrote: »
    social welfare benefits covers those people too that are in wheelchairs and have dislocated limbs you asking those people to get jobs too

There are people with

Brain Injuries
    Autism Spectrum
    Spinal Injuries
    Deaf
    Blind
    Old people with a lot of health problems
    Down syndrome
    Incontinence
    Missing limbs or fingers

Totally granted and accepted.
    And to add many of the people on the above list do work which leaves no excuse for the next group.

There is also another group

The bone idol selfish lazy and this is the single largest group on welfare apart from the OAPs.
    Anybody who IS ABLE to get a job should do so and you will find groups like those on the Autism Spectrum most do work.
    No issue with people who can not work I take an issue with people who will not work big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The bone idol selfish lazy and this is the single largest group on welfare apart from the OAPs. Anybody who IS ABLE to get a job should do so and you will find groups like those on the Autism Spectrum most do work. No issue with people who can not work I take an issue with people who will not work big difference.

I'm sorry but 80 percent of autistic adults are unemployed. This is a worldwide statistic and not just Ireland. It's not that they don't want to work. There just isn't enough suitable jobs for them. The state pumps money into autistic kids and even their parents but once they hit 18 they get no help so most can't get a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

storker wrote:
    As a taxpayer who helps pay for it, I don't really have a problem with the idea of a Christmas bonus. I think of it more as a government stimulus, because most of it ends up in the economy anyway. Its not as if even the real spongers (and I note how everyone in receipt of it seems to be lumped into the "sponger" pigeonhole) will use it carefully or hoard it. And if the real spongers do spend it on beer and fags, a large amount of that will go straight back into the state coffers anyway. Dole money doesn't just get sucked into a black hole; it circulates. And a good portion of it will find its way back to where it started, either in the form of VAT, or in the form of PAYE, PRSI and USC paid on the wages it helps to pay, and VAT on things that are bought by the people who receive those wages, etc...

That's true to an extent.
    In that case we can only hope that the scummers spend it all on fags since the majority of their cost is taxes.
    Even better, why not being in a special cigarette allowance. At least that way we guaranteed to get the best majority of the money back and the dole heads will be happy out. Steamed out of their heads 22 hours a day on tennents, fags and bath salts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,706 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is also another group

The bone idol selfish lazy and this is the single largest group on welfare apart from the OAPs.
    Anybody who IS ABLE to get a job should do so and you will find groups like those on the Autism Spectrum most do work.
    No issue with people who can not work I take an issue with people who will not work big difference.

Those people do not sound as if they would be attractive for employers to take on. Better to get workers from abroad, who are more suitable. What sort of work do you think bone idle selfish lazy people would be good at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Those people do not sound as if they would be attractive for employers to take on. Better to get workers from abroad, who are more suitable. What sort of work do you think bone idle selfish lazy people would be good at?

You got me there I honestly did not think of that.:o

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Put them on commission, give them a Cheque for 36 cent after the week if that is all they earned. It’s time to wake up and address the pink elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

No Christmas bonus will be paid this year to pensioners and people on social welfare,

this spirit of xmas is the greatest unhappiness to others — that isn't the true meaning of Christmas

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It says on the journal that some minister said there will be a welfare bonus after all.

http://www.thejournal.ie/christmas-bonus-3-4253114-Sep2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

ah lads what are ye gonna do when the basic income comes in? machines are literally made to replace humans in production. this site has been on a constant downhill the last few years but this thread might actually be the end of the hill. im not even sure who's trolling or what anymore. absolute **** all wrong with being on the dole whatsoever, stop projecting your misery on to others just because you hate your pointless job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No Christmas bonus will be paid this year to pensioners and people on social welfare,

this spirit of xmas is the greatest unhappiness to others — that isn't the true meaning of Christmas

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

If its true I'm delighted.
    Nobody on SW should be getting or expect to get a free"Bonus" at Christmas, they are very well looked after already, in fact in many cases too well looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

DChancer wrote:
    If its true I'm delighted. Nobody on SW should be getting or expect to get a free"Bonus" at Christmas, they are very well looked after already, in fact in many cases too well looked after.

No it's not true, so you can proceed to moan again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

DChancer wrote: »
    If its true I'm delighted.
    Nobody on SW should be getting or expect to get a free"Bonus" at Christmas, they are very well looked after already, in fact in many cases too well looked after.

Let them eat cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No doubt there will be a bonus and no doubt there will be an increase to the SW base in the budget, €5 I’d expect.

The professionally unemployed combined with the grey vote are now a powerful voting block and with loose media and social media they have considerable clout with the likes of Richie Barret encouraging them that they are entitled to everything free and they should be out demanding it.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

I also disagree for scrapping it for elderly pensioners. Someone in their 80's on just the state pension has no opportunity to gain a little extra cash to help out at Xmas.

Many of us working now will be in the same position in years to come.

Pensioners are grand and don't need any more, any group which has politicians chasing them is doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,706 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ah lads what are ye gonna do when the basic income comes in? machines are literally made to replace humans in production. this site has been on a constant downhill the last few years but this thread might actually be the end of the hill. im not even sure who's trolling or what anymore. absolute **** all wrong with being on the dole whatsoever, stop projecting your misery on to others just because you hate your pointless job

This site has been the same since it started. And every year someone comes along to say it is going downhill. Some original input needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I can promise you basic income won't be spread out across billions of people. Who's gonna pay? Machines don't spend six grand tax on a new car, then pay 90 cent tax on every liter of fuel they put into it after. We do, but cars will probably be outlawed by then anyway :rolleyes:
    Machines don't eat cornflakes that they paid VAT on. Now, we do, but what's the point in giving us money once we're all on the scratcher just to give back to you? Why not instead just giving us less? Nobody's going to pay for something that they've replace, that in their eyes doesn't need to exist any more. A fair few of us useless meatbags will be getting the chop I'm afraid. :o

On the plus side, man made climate change will be sorted, assuming the dimming effect we were having wasn't too important! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I also disagree for scrapping it for elderly pensioners. Someone in their 80's on just the state pension has no opportunity to gain a little extra cash to help out at Xmas.

Many of us working now will be in the same position in years to come.

They should reinstate it for pensioners and people on disability. IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Guys do any of you actually follow the news ? It has already been confirmed by government ministers that the bonus will be paid, they just haven't confirmed what percentage of one's weekly payment it will be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Pensioners are grand and don't need any more, any group which has politicians chasing them is doing fine.

What a ridiculously dumb pathetic point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I’ve been fortunate enough in my life to have never been in a position to have to claim social welfare, outside of children’s allowance.

I’ve also been fortunate enough to have never been in a position where I had to decide could I afford to have a Christmas dinner or to buy some gifts for my loved ones.

I can’t imagine how tough it would be to be in that position and I’m proud that as a society we endeavour to try and help people who might be and to ensure that they can have a Christmas too.

The Christmas payment should remain, it looks like it is going to and that's another little reason to be proud of this country.

What's dumb is unthinkingly believing that pensioners are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,098 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What sort of work do you think bone idle selfish lazy people would be good at?

Ticket office at Pearse Station, if you interrupt their ball-scratching to ask a question they look at you like you have two heads

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Very Honest point actually.

DChancer wrote: »
    Very Honest point actually.

More like reactionary populism.

Raising the state pension is not only unnecessary, such is the future pension crisis facing the country, the state pension should be frozen indefinitely.

You only have to look and see what major politician ( willie o dea) is most vociferously demanding more and more spending on the elderly, to know its the lowest, cheapest and easiest form of electioneering.

O dea is the biggest self serving hack to be elected to office in my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

as long as those who work get the equivalent tax relief in December, I don't see the problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Depends on the pensioner surely, it's not like all pensioners are created equally!

Civil servant gold plated pensioner is probably doing just fine.

State OAP probably not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

they cancelled our Christmas bonus for so many years. we just go Christmas bonus back recently and they cancelling it again . what the point giving us Christmas bonus if you go take it away from us again. We have families to buy presents to buy and we can't afford to buy our relations to buy presents this year. This is against spirit of Xmas

Yes, when little baby Jebus was born he said go forth and spend money you don't have on crap you don't need, while sitting on your arse doing nothing for the rest of the year.

Advertisement