Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No social welfare bonus this year

Options
  • 25-09-2018 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Surely the bonus should be scrapped for anyone on the dole for over a year and not punish people in receipt of other social welfare payments such as pensioners and people on illness benefit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Only in this country can you decide you aren't arsed to work and then get a bonus for it .

Just think about it for a second . It's hilarious in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

What bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ive always worked and ive never received a christmas bonus or any bonus for that matter.

Getting a bonus on the dole is a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

We've haven't had one of these threads in a while :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How about we ban Dole bashing threads instead?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Christmas bonus needs scrapping, and the dole money needs reducing. Shower of lazy c**ts get everything handed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 holepunch

I know plenty of people on the dole who do sweet FA and the social still continues to pay out, this country is a joke...you'll hear the outcry now from people on the dole who've already spent it as they were expecting it, 100% agree with original poster

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2 hours ago the papers were reporting that the government have denied it's being scrapped. Thought the Internet was supposed to be the death of the papers by being more up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Anastasia_

I work and don't get a Christmas bonus.. What entitles them to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gringo180 wrote:
    Surely the bonus should be scrapped for anyone on the dole for over a year and not punish people in receipt of other social welfare payments such as pensioners and people on illness benefit.

I also disagree for scrapping it for elderly pensioners. Someone in their 80's on just the state pension has no opportunity to gain a little extra cash to help out at Xmas.

Many of us working now will be in the same position in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I also disagree for scrapping it for elderly pensioners. Someone in their 80's on just the state pension has no opportunity to gain a little extra cash to help out at Xmas.

Many of us working now will be in the same position in years to come.

The state pension won’t exist in a few decades

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The state pension won’t exist in a few decades

But my Gold plated Civil service one will :eek::eek:

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's scrapped for everyone so for every layabout spending it on fags and booze there will be many more down on their luck individuals who were relying on that money for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Ah now what would the permanently outraged do? I suppose they all could switch to whinging about "free" houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

There's a christmas bonus for people on the dole? How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

There's a christmas bonus for people on the dole? How much?

Two weeks payment and a voucher for meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

As a taxpayer who helps pay for it, I don't really have a problem with the idea of a Christmas bonus. I think of it more as a government stimulus, because most of it ends up in the economy anyway. Its not as if even the real spongers (and I note how everyone in receipt of it seems to be lumped into the "sponger" pigeonhole) will use it carefully or hoard it. And if the real spongers do spend it on beer and fags, a large amount of that will go straight back into the state coffers anyway. Dole money doesn't just get sucked into a black hole; it circulates. And a good portion of it will find its way back to where it started, either in the form of VAT, or in the form of PAYE, PRSI and USC paid on the wages it helps to pay, and VAT on things that are bought by the people who receive those wages, etc...

It's not as if it's added to an existing pile of cash on a bed with the recipients rolling around on it cackling gleefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

eviltwin wrote: »
    It's scrapped for everyone so for every layabout spending it on fags and booze there will be many more down on their luck individuals who were relying on that money for Christmas.

That's the great pity of it.
    I don't think they should have been relying on a bonus in the first place though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

uch wrote: »
    But my Gold plated Civil service one will :eek::eek:

Paid for by the idiots like me in the private sector, who pay for everything else and get zero.

Seriously considering upping sticks and getting the ****ing hell out of this place. Ran by greedy, dangerous idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

There will be.

The government will happily announce a Christmas bonus in the Budget to improve their ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Anastasia_ wrote: »
    I work and don't get a Christmas bonus.. What entitles them to one?

Your taxes.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's an expensive time of year. I wouldn't begrudge anyone a bit of extra money. I count myself lucky that I have a job and won't be relying on it.

Anyway, according to the minister and the Taoiseach, there will be a social welfare bonus this Christmas, so all the right-wing blowhards on here can breath a sigh of whatever the opposite of relief is. :)

uch wrote:
    But my Gold plated Civil service one will

Depending on your age, you could be in for a huge shock. Despite what those in government tell you the pension time bomb is still ticking .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

so all the right-wing blowhards on here can breath a sigh of whatever the opposite of relief is. :)

"Torment"

Bonus confirmed to be paid, queue the outrage again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

It was Fake News.

Bonus will be payed out to old people and to those who refuse to look for work.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Depending on your age, you could be in for a huge shock. Despite what those in government tell you the pension time bomb is still ticking .

you "outraged" about public service pensions are you?

awww.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dole bashing threads, immigrant threads, traveller threads, cyclist/motorist threads & trans/gay threads.

Although at that point we might see tumbleweed drifting through AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pat ticket

If people want an xmas bonus then there should be a mechanism in place that they can have a couple of euro deducted off their weekly SW payments to be paid in a lump sum at xmas time.

Or they could just do the above themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

that would never happen on boards...:pac:

Advertisement