Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike, Industrial relations discussion Mod note in post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryanair/ryanair-welcomes-french-supreme-court-decision-in-marseille-case-mulls-re-entering-french-market/
    A victory in court for Ryanair which gives them the opportunity to extend their presence in France and also allows them to release €13M which was held on escrow.

Also, it doesn't look like Belgian strike action will be too successful with only half of Cabin Crew employed by Ryanair.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ryanair-unions-belgium/belgian-union-rejects-ryanair-offer-ahead-of-planned-strike-idUSKCN1LZ1M7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

https://www.euronews.com/2018/09/19/spanish-court-rules-former-ryanair-pilot-was-employee-not-contractor
    MADRID, Sept 19 (Reuters) - A former Ryanair pilot should have been considered an employee and not an independent contractor, a Spanish judge has said in the latest setback for the airline in its fight to avoid Europe-wide strikes over workers’ conditions.

Europe’s largest low-cost airline faces a 24-hour strike by cabin crews in Belgium, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain on Sept. 28, over labour agreements. Unions aim to repeat the strikes once a month.

The Sept. 7 ruling by the Spanish judge in Tenerife can be appealed.

“We have asked our lawyers to appeal this sentence immediately,” Ryanair said in an email.

The pilot’s lawyer said he is preparing new lawsuits for other Ryanair pilots for allegedly violating Spanish labour and tax laws.

The Spanish pilots’ union Sepla filed a collective lawsuit in the High Court against the company over contracts in early August.

Under Spanish law, a contractor does not enjoy the same workers’ rights as an employee and the airline does not have to contribute to the worker’s social security payments.

(Reporting by Robert Hetz; Writing by Paul Day; Editing by Kirsten Donovan and Louise Heavens)

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0920/994886-ryanair_agm/
    M O'L and Bonderman re-elected.
    The Union activists who were pushing for this did a disservice to their collective aims.   It can only be interpreted as the Investors being in favour of the Industrial relations stance of Ryanair's management.  
    https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-shareholders-approve-all-resolutions-by-large-majorities-at-its-agm/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thats one view, another could be that the drop from 89% to 70% for Bonderman shows a marked drop in confidence in that individual.
    (Personally I would be thrilled to get 70% of a vote)
    And obviously the 98% for MoL is a another ringing endorsement from shareholders.

At the end of the day I doubt the institutional investors care about the ongoing issues at FR as long as their share price remains relatively stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭al2009

With the ryanair strike scheduled for next Friday by the Spanish cabin crew, would anyone know will the farranfore to alicante flight be affected that day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Regarding the continuance of the status quo within Ryanair's senior management, I unfortunately see continuing unrest amongst the staff.

The company cannot advance commercially until staff have confidence in their management which cannot happen with O'Leary at the helm.

He has proven in the past 12 months to be incapable of dealing with greivances amongst the staff and rather seems intent on antagonising parties further.

A golden opportunity for shareholders to replace O'Leary with someone more qualified was wasted and the potential for the company to rebrand itself for the customers as a reliable and caring company squashed.
    Ryanair could be a great airline to work for and fly with but it's reputation is severely tarnished, primarily due to mismanagement by O'Leary.

It's a pity that such a golden opportunity was wasted.

Let's hope that the closed shop mentality doesn't lead to Ryanair ending up like the next Enron!

al2009 wrote:
    With the ryanair strike scheduled for next Friday by the Spanish cabin crew, would anyone know will the farranfore to alicante flight be affected that day?

Alicante crew so highly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭toshiba1

Hi All,
    Need a bit of information
    My sister is heading to Portugal (Faro) tomorrow and back on Friday, she heard that cabin crew are planning a strike on the day she is flying back. She has a couple of questions
    Does an Irish based crew operate the flights or is it a local crew?
    When would she get notice of strike?
    Thank You
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

toshiba1 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Need a bit of information
    My sister is heading to Portugal (Faro) tomorrow and back on Friday, she heard that cabin crew are planning a strike on the day she is flying back. She has a couple of questions
    Does an Irish based crew operate the flights or is it a local crew?
    When would she get notice of strike?
    Thank You
    Regards

Post up the flight number and you’ll get a more accurate answer, the Faro flights are a mixture of Dublin and Faro based aircraft

billie1b wrote: »
    Post up the flight number and you’ll get a more accurate answer, the Faro flights are a mixture of Dublin and Faro based aircraft

Thank You Billie1b
    Flight No 7033 depart 22:00
    She has to be back home for Saturday and is looking to make alternative arrangements

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭al2009

Regarding the continuance of the status quo within Ryanair's senior management, I unfortunately see continuing unrest amongst the staff.

The company cannot advance commercially until staff have confidence in their management which cannot happen with O'Leary at the helm.

He has proven in the past 12 months to be incapable of dealing with greivances amongst the staff and rather seems intent on antagonising parties further.

A golden opportunity for shareholders to replace O'Leary with someone more qualified was wasted and the potential for the company to rebrand itself for the customers as a reliable and caring company squashed.
    Ryanair could be a great airline to work for and fly with but it's reputation is severely tarnished, primarily due to mismanagement by O'Leary.

It's a pity that such a golden opportunity was wasted.

Let's hope that the closed shop mentality doesn't lead to Ryanair ending up like the next Enron!

Alicante crew so highly likely.

Thank you, hopefully it's sorted before friday!

• Advertisement

toshiba1 wrote: »
    Thank You Billie1b
    Flight No 7033 depart 22:00
    She has to be back home for Saturday and is looking to make alternative arrangements

Thats a Dublin based aircraft

Thats a Dublin based aircraft

Cheers billie1b

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/09/dutch-ryanair-pilots-opt-to-join-fridays-strike-major-disruption-expected/

Dutch pilots join Cabin Crew strike on Friday.
    Irrespective of the legitimacy or not of their strike action I'd have kept my gunpowder dry for another day if I were them as there will be plenty of pilots from other regions available to cover on this day of cabin crew strike action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Could anyone tell me where the crew on FR3978 Dublin to Madrid at 13.05 this Friday is based?

TIA.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me where the crew on FR3978 Dublin to Madrid at 13.05 this Friday is based?

TIA.

Dublin based

rivegauche wrote: »
    https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/09/dutch-ryanair-pilots-opt-to-join-fridays-strike-major-disruption-expected/

Dutch pilots join Cabin Crew strike on Friday.
    Irrespective of the legitimacy or not of their strike action I'd have kept my gunpowder dry for another day if I were them as there will be plenty of pilots from other regions available to cover on this day of cabin crew strike action.

Plenty of pilots??? You do know that there is a major shortage of pilots at the minute and they’re positioning pilots on their days to other bases European wide just to cover scheduled flights

Plenty of pilots??? You do know that there is a major shortage of pilots at the minute and they’re positioning pilots on their days to other bases European wide just to cover scheduled flights

Yes, I'm well able to read the reports about deadheading Ryanair pilots commandeering the exit row seats on Ryanair planes while forcing tall paying Customers who have paid a premium for those specific seats in to other seats.

Yes, I'm well able to read the reports about deadheading Ryanair pilots commandeering the exit row seats on Ryanair planes while forcing tall paying Customers who have paid a premium for those specific seats in to other seats.

Never heard of that, I know that they’re given whatever available seats are left on board after boarding and if there is no seats available they sit in jumpseats, keep spouting your s.hite though, it’s entertaining reading from someone who has no clue but thinks he/she is 100% correct in every statement they make.

blushing Billie1b
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6199341/Ryanair-call-police-deal-6ft-2in-passenger-denying-extra-legroom-hed-paid-for.html?platform=hootsuite
    This passenger took a stand over a premium seat(sic) and cabin crew called Police.

Breaking news:
    Italian Cabin Crew agree terms with Ryanair
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/--871335.html

blushing Billie1b
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6199341/Ryanair-call-police-deal-6ft-2in-passenger-denying-extra-legroom-hed-paid-for.html?platform=hootsuite
    This passenger took a stand over a premium seat(sic) and cabin crew called Police.

Breaking news:
    Italian Cabin Crew agree terms with Ryanair
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/--871335.html

Not blushing, if you actually read the story and not make up stuff, it was an extra cabin crew member on the flight as the over wing exit was tech and a crew member has to sit there incase, happens sometime! I’m blushing for you though at your attempt to say say it was a dead heading pilot but turned out to be cabin crew on duty! Schucks to you, another example of your not having a clue, feel sorry for you.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can point out the inaccuracy / lack of knowledge in a more polite manner.

Do you believe that.
    The Witness states categorically that he was never offered 16A and that throws the rest of the official response in to question. Also we don't have to look further than this forum for reports of cabin crew acting like dictators on regional routes here with some posters saying that they will not pay for seat selection as the flight attendants just block off the more preferential seats and then sit in them later and that wasn't even a Ryanair flight.
    I will not bother go looking for that post as you don't warrant the time or effort as you can't be polite on thread.

Do you believe that.
    The Witness states categorically that he was never offered 16A and that throws the rest of the official response in to question. Also we don't have to look further than this forum for reports of cabin crew acting like dictators on regional routes here with some posters saying that they will not pay for seat selection as the flight attendants just block off the more preferential seats and then sit in them later and that wasn't even a Ryanair flight.
    I will not bother go looking for that post as you don't warrant the time or effort as you can't be polite on thread.

You don’t have to look for it, I won’t even bother reading it as I know aircraft have to be trimmed in a certian way and certain seats need to be blocked for take-off and landing. Your lack of being humble, respectful, modest, deferential etc says all about you that I need to know, hence I can get snippy but your condescending manner comes across much worse that a bit of snippiness.

In your efforts to insult me and undermine my position as a consumer advocate you are dragging this thread off-topic.

Back on topic; Italian cabin crews agree terms so a little bit less jiggery-pokerery to do on Friday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In your efforts to insult me and undermine my position as a consumer advocate you are dragging this thread off-topic.

You are not and have never posted here as a consumer advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Not sure what this has to do with industrial action or championing the consumer (probably off topic too) but hey, what do I know...?

Are we going to see a repeat of the slow learning curve all the way across Europe?

L1011 wrote: »
    You are not and have never posted here as a consumer advocate.

Well, I'm not pro-union and I'm ambivalent toward the company so I don't know how you come to the conclusion that I have another agenda.

It would seem that in the interests of consumer protection that there are some minimum service level standards which must be agreed by the Union and the relevant Ministry in Spain.
    Last time the minimum service level was 100%, 35%, 59% respectively for various types of flights/destinations.
    This time the Unions are requesting about 25%

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/09/24/inenglish/1537789380_647601.html?id_externo_rsoc=TW_CM_EN

It is Tuesday today and the strike is on Friday. Ryanair's decision to run or cancel flights appears to be beyond their control in Spain for a day or two more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A reminder that this is for discussion on FR industrial relations. Posts concerning their operation or service will be moved to the General Ryanair thread.

• Advertisement

Ryanair aren't just carrying sticks, they are carrying carrots too.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/novita/ryanair-lancia-53-nuove-rotte-in-italia-per-la-programmazione-estiva-2019/

Cabin Crew agree terms on the same day Ryanair increase hugely services in Italy.
    That equates to a lot of potential promotions for cabin crew and pilots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement