Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

emearlds must of being disgusted yo get bet by slirverue is that the 2nd year in a row?
    anyone know whats on next weekend is it just the few replays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Senior quarter finals this weekend along with Comer/Cshock replay according to KCLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭blackcard

Senior quarter finals this weekend along with Comer/Cshock replay according to KCLR.
    Glenmore Martin's replay also

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

brookville wrote: »
    emearlds must of being disgusted yo get bet by slirverue

Why?

is that not the 2nd year in a row?i would of thought with conor martin and taggy in their attack they would of made the semi finals although looking at their league form it has being patchy.Dunnamaggin have the boro now which should be a good match.Both piltown and slieverue will also fancy their chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

is that not the 2nd year in a row?i would of thought with conor martin and taggy in their attack they would of made the semi finals although looking at their league form it has being patchy.Dunnamaggin have the boro now which should be a good match.Both piltown and slieverue will also fancy their chances.

Yes it is the second year in a row! Slieverue played them off the park last year but sat back towards the end trying to defend the lead and emerald's got a few late scores to make it respectable.

Today Slieverue had a man a sent off before half time and still won albeit with the aid of a fortuitous late goal.

Your post was a bit dismissive of Slieverue saying that emerald's must be disgusted losing to them.

Yes it is the second year in a row! Slieverue played them off the park last year but sat back towards the end trying to defend the lead and emerald's got a few late scores to make it respectable.

Today Slieverue had a man a sent off before half time and still won albeit with the aid of a fortuitous late goal.

Your post was a bit dismissive of Slieverue saying that emerald's must be disgusted losing to them.
    ok well maybe disgusted was to strong of a word but emearlds were peoples 2nd favourites im sure they'll be dissapointed but fair play to slieverue hopefully they can kick on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

You would wonder about C Martin Taggy does not owe the emeralds anything he has served them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Joe Daly wrote: »
    You would wonder about C Martin Taggy does not owe the emeralds anything he has served them well.

Agreed. Conor Martin has been very poor at times for his club and Kilkenny.

To be honest I think Emeralds are a very poor side that are totally overrated.

They are languishing in that junior grade and having seen them once or twice they lack the drive and ambition to come back up.

Fair play to Slieverue, great achievement two years on the bounce to defeat the 'fancied' but overrated team.

Emeralds losing to a relatively small club like Slieverue is a bad indictment on them as a team and club.

Hace a feeling Piltown could be dark horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Agreed. Conor Martin has been very poor at times for his club and Kilkenny.

To be honest I think Emeralds are a very poor side that are totally overrated.

They are languishing in that junior grade and having seen them once or twice they lack the drive and ambition to come back up.

Fair play to Slieverue, great achievement two years on the bounce to defeat the 'fancied' but overrated team.

Emeralds losing to a relatively small club like Slieverue is a bad indictment on them as a team and club.

Hace a feeling Piltown could be dark horses.
    Slievarue have one of the largest populations of any club in the county. Admittedly a lot may be Deise but if Slieverue have their act together and generate a strong community feel within the Ferrybank area (most of which is in Co Kilkenny by the way) they could become a real powerhouse of Kilkenny hurling in 5 to 10 years. The county board should be encouraging them and helping them as much as possible to take advantage of the population base in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Exhibition of forward play by Ballyhale but Ballyraggett just not at that level. The scoreboard in Loughlins is the worst I've ever seen
    For me Richie Reid was the best player on the park yesterday, at least until the game was over as a contest. Ballyragget will be very disappointed in their performance, they're better than that but never came close to matching the workrate of the Shamrocks.
    Agree on the scoreboard, you could only make out the scores when the sun went behind a cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Have to say I have seen quote a bit of Emeralds the last two years and Conor Martin has generally always played well as you would expect from a County Panelist playing Junior. He scored 3 scored 3 points yesterday and set up the attack that won the penalty and if anything Emeralds did not get a enough supply in to him. They only minor criticism would have had of his game is that he didnt take the full back on when left in a 1 v 1 situation. Taggy was carrying an injury and missed a few frees but the lad is still a class act. While Slieverue got two lucky goals Emeralds surrendered an 8 point lead and didnt know what to do when Slieverue had their purple patch and started coming back into the game. For me the game changer was the decision to change Emeralds spare man after Slieverue had a man sent off. Niall O'Gorman was having a stormer and clearing up and then Emeralds management decided to switch him over to man marking job instead.  Emeralds conceded too many frees and Rockett punished them every time but I have seen a few Junior teams this year and Slieverue didnt offer too much from play. I think Piltown will have too much for them the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

Mullinavat v Rower Inistioge

It is hard to describe how Rower Inistioge played in then 2nd half, you really have to say they they lost this match as much as Mullinavat won it, they were 'good' in the 1st half against a strong wind, making & taking scores in a well constructed way, one worry for Inistioge was that Mullinavat got two goals to keep them in the match, they should have been 4 - 5 x points up at half time. The 2nd half was a horror show for Inistioge, Mullinavat did improve, their touch was better and they started to work the possesion better through their halfback line and midfield but they were not so greatly improved that Inistioge should not have been able to win this one. The choices Inistioge were making (2nd half) were crazy, long pot shots sailing wide, passes intercepted, mi****s - their full forward line were pulling their hair out. Mullinavat are probably the better team but they will have to improve a good bit to reach any Co. Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Village87

Was in Nowlan Park Saturday and Sunday for the League and Shield finals. Games lacked a bit of bite. Dicksboro coasted to to a win while the League final was a bit tighter, game will stand to both sides going forward. On Sunday GBC coasted to a win in the shield. Callan overcame Tullaroan in what was probably the best match of the 4. Callan will really fancy there chances of going senior and have great momentum at present, nice balanced team that will be hard bet

Tullaroan and Callan could meet each other again in the Intermediate final

Dicksboro and Shamrocks is great game to look forward to this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

St. Patrick's v Shamrocks

Ballyraggett were very dissapointing, I think everybody thought they would at least put it up to the Shamrocks, that they had some firepower to trouble them. Apart from when they got their goal, this was as one sided and lacklustre as the score-line suggests. St. Patrick’s (from the start) never looked like they were up for a battle, except for a thirty second ‘row’ near the end when the match was well gone from them. The Shamrocks started well and kept it up for 35-40 x mins, the last 20 x minutes was played at a small level above a challenge match. The only interest for the (large) crowd was the movement and goal opportunities the Shamrocks made, took three but left three / four behind them. The Shamrocks won the vast majority of individual battles and 50:50 ball, this provided their forwards with regular and well placed ball, where they thrived. Colin Fennelly showing some good form for them, when he get’s into the action quickly he is still a major handful for defenders.

St. Patrick’s are happy they are still Senior, Shamrocks are happy they hurled at a level they had not really hit so far this year, Dickboro will quickly test if the improvement is enough.

Two attractive replays on Saturday with Comer and Shocks in Clara at 2pm with Martin's and Glenmore in Ballyhale at 4pm. Why can't the Fixtures Committees not allow sufficient time between these matches? The first match, allowing for half time and injury time will finish at 3.15pm. 5 minute walk to the car, 10 minutes to get out of traffic, 30 minute drive, park the car and walk to the match, it is 4.15pm and you have missed the first 15 minutes of the match. Similar on Sunday with Bridge and Mullinavat in Thomastown at 2pm ,then Dicksboro and Ballyhale at 4pm in Callan. There is zero chance of getting out of the car park in Thomastown and into the car park in Callan in 45 minutes. Why can't the Fixtures Committee get their act together and allow 15/30 minutes extra between matches. There is no fecking reason why this can't be done. It is not bloody rocket science. Please sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I, and half of the parish from the looks of it, got from Ballyhale to Clara on Saturday no problem to see both the Martins and Comer games. I'll probably do the same Saturday but be ready to bounce with 5 minutes to go if needed as obviously the 2nd game is more important

Forgot about the possibility of extra time though

I, and half of the parish from the looks of it, got from Ballyhale to Clara on Saturday no problem to see both the Martins and Comer games. I'll probably do the same Saturday but be ready to bounce with 5 minutes to go if needed as obviously the 2nd game is more important

Forgot about the possibility of extra time though
    But why should you be ready to bounce with 5 minutes to go? An extra 15 minutes between matches would make it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Great boost to smaller clubs in particular with the JP Mcmanus donation . How many clubs officially are there in kk to divide the 100k between?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

minty81 wrote: »
    Great boost to smaller clubs in particular with the JP Mcmanus donation . How many clubs officially are there in kk to divide the 100k between?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Are they really likely to just divide it evenly between the clubs? Doesn't seem like a good use of the money to me. Only works out at 2400 per club. But keeping it intact you might actually get something of benefit to the county out of it.

**** that give it to the clubs.. Some of us are in desperate need of it

**** that give it to the clubs.. Some of us are in desperate need of it

Clubs will still be in as desperate need of money next year. Better to use unexpected money like this to make a lasting investment of some kind. Even if not using it at county level, you could distribute it to the clubs through a competitive grant scheme, have ten grants, ten grand each (or whatever, do two 20,000 grants, four 10,000 and four 5,000, or five 20,000, you know yourself), and clubs can submit proposals for what they'd do with the money. Best plans get the cash. 2,400 quid will buy a couple of sets of jerseys, a proper investment could build a lasting resource of some kind that will stand to a club in the future.

looking at a few club matches this weekend chris bolger and john walsh both very dangerous hopefully both are brought in next year also adrian mullen could thrive with better hurlers.Great to see kevin kelly back hopefully he can recover fully over the winter .Others to impress oisin knox,john power,niall brassel and tadgh o dwyer.

Clubs will still be in as desperate need of money next year. Better to use unexpected money like this to make a lasting investment of some kind. Even if not using it at county level, you could distribute it to the clubs through a competitive grant scheme, have ten grants, ten grand each (or whatever, do two 20,000 grants, four 10,000 and four 5,000, or five 20,000, you know yourself), and clubs can submit proposals for what they'd do with the money. Best plans get the cash. 2,400 quid will buy a couple of sets of jerseys, a proper investment could build a lasting resource of some kind that will stand to a club in the future.
    Yea some of us just need help with running costs.

Yea some of us just need help with running costs.

I was secretary of a club that had no property of its own and zero help with anything beyond a few quid from a pub sponsoring us, I know all about running costs. But I also know that using a one-off cash windfall to feed ongoing expenses is bad economics. It's just throwing money into a hole that never gets filled. If our club got 2400 quid we might use it on competition fees, PIS, or the never ending fees for using training pitches, and be in the same situation next year. If the county board distribute the money like that to be spent on annual costs I would see it as an awful waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

I believe JP specifically requested it to be divided evenly between clubs so can't see the county board doing anything other than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Village87

Village87 wrote: »
    Was in Nowlan Park Saturday and Sunday for the League and Shield finals. Games lacked a bit of bite. Dicksboro coasted to to a win while the League final was a bit tighter, game will stand to both sides going forward. On Sunday GBC coasted to a win in the shield. Callan overcame Tullaroan in what was probably the best match of the 4. Callan will really fancy there chances of going senior and have great momentum at present, nice balanced team that will be hard bet

Any idea why Ryan Bergin wasnt available last few matches, was talking to a Callan man Sunday said he has a heart condition

Any idea why Ryan Bergin wasnt available last few matches, was talking to a Callan man Sunday said he has a heart condition
    yea got some form of a heart attack i was told.

• Advertisement

any idea why mark kelly isn't getting game time for o loughlins?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement