Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

There was another young family brutalised at the weekend The dog parked and the young father went to investigate. A pick axe was flung through the glass door at him. He foolishly went out and two thugs beat him up.
    He is lucky they didnt kill him.

Just got chatting to a homeless guy whom I came across in Dublin 8.

Asked him whether he knew how to get shelter for the night, and he told me he has to present/ register at a Garda Station with identification before Dublin city council will accept his request for a bed.

Can anyone here confirm this? Does this guy really have to register with the police before he can be counted as homeless?

Because that seems to me as an blatant way of excluding a lot of folks with a criminal history from the homelessness stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Because that seems to me as an blatant way of excluding a lot of folks with a criminal history from the homelessness stats.

Why would that exclude them, unless there was a warrant out for them or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Asked him whether he knew how to get shelter for the night, and he told me he has to present/ register at a Garda Station with identification before Dublin city council will accept his request for a bed.

Can anyone here confirm this? Does this guy really have to register with the police before he can be counted as homeless?

Sometimes they are asked to prove identity but the majority of the time you que up or ring to book a bed on a specific number ,
    And in a lot of cases people won't allowed in to emergency accomodation due to antisocial behaviour or they don't want to actually engage with supports

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why would that exclude them, unless there was a warrant out for them or something?
    why should anyone have to register with the police for being homeless?

Imagine if this applied to other sections of society, such as the unemployed?

Homelessness is not a crime. I sincerely hope this guy is mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

this is untrue entirely and completely

its neither practical or possible for this to happen and is another example of the lies and nonsense that these people come out with that isnt challenged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Odelay

why should anyone have to register with the police for being homeless?

Imagine if this applied to other sections of society, such as the unemployed?

Homelessness is not a crime. I sincerely hope this guy is mistaken.

I remember having to go to the guards to get passport photos signed. Does mean I'm a criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I dont think Mags ever heard the phrase don't bite the hand that feeds you.

"We need to stand up to these scum 😠 Stand together fight for wats right. Well done Gerard they've been getting away with it for to long now enough is enough minister time u stood down and let sum1 who can do the job do it !!! Fix our country help our people our children we all just want a home for our kids 😡😠 Who said it was ok for u to leave us live like dis ? Wer taken back our streets and Wer gonna fight use a useless government SHAME on u all 😠😡 Take the boards off the houses that use have boarded up and give them out to people we need homes not b+bs not hotels not hubs HOMES"

This is in relation to the "eviction" of Ms Elliot in D17 who decided to break into a house.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/council-seeks-to-remove-mother-and-children-from-vacant-house-1.3629667?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Odelay wrote: »
    I remember having to go to the guards to get passport photos signed. Does mean I'm a criminal?

and for a disabled badge for the car.... and to register with the council for the housing list.

"Asked him whether he knew how to get shelter for the night, and he told me he has to present/ register at a Garda Station with identification before Dublin city council will accept his request for a bed.

"

There are wisely now Garda checks

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/thirtyfive-people-refused-social-housing-after-vetting-by-garda-27401120.html

To access council services you have to be on the housing list. That includes being registered as homeless.
    The forms you fill in are comprehensive. Revenue. Social Welfare, and Garda.

Your friend ; was he actually excluded or just fought shy of getting Garda approval?

He would get help from the housing charities without registering with the council and would thus be on the homeless stats.

Nothing sinister going on; the council is rightly being careful to minimise damage etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

2011 wrote: »
    Source???
    Where are you getting this bullish!t from?

Plenty of private sector worker are in unions.

but he's right that plenty won't (not can't) join, I know I wouldn't. Unions are scum these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Wheety wrote: »

"I’m surprised she got the time off work to attend."

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

She loves those matching outfits, she had a pink one whilst meeting Miriam a few weeks ago.

Wonder where's the rest of the kids? Would have had a better visual impact if they were all there.

Is Ireland really the most corrupt country in the world?

See Irish Water got a mention aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sure I suppose she has to do something to occupy her time in between Luas trips to Tallaght for the kids schools

Margaret Cash says she's dreading Luas trips to Tallaght after moving into new apartment on Parnell Street

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/homeless-dublin-ireland-15045382

Old article but she still needs the trips to Tallaght I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

van_beano wrote: »
    She loves those matching outfits, she had a pink one whilst meeting Miriam a few weeks ago.

Wonder where's the rest of the kids? Would have had a better visual impact if they were all there.

Is Ireland really the most corrupt country in the world?

See Irish Water got a mention aswell.

There all them counterfeit outfits of Nike and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭flowers345

Yes if he has not been registered yet he has to present. To register he has to present. To get registered he needs to go through hoops. To get a referral letter from Merchants quay to register he has to make an appointment inside Merchants quay. To get into Merchants quay he has to be registered. :confused: To stay registered he needs to have a bed on a regular basis. A dorm-bed in a homeless place costs between 50 and 210 euro per week. When he is not so lucky to get a bed for a while (freephone-lucky draw) then he is DE-registered. If he goes on the list for housing then he is DE-registered. :mad: He can sleep at some Garda stations on the bench in the hall. He can not shower. He can not pass start but can go straight to jail if he steals a toothbrush or 2.

:D Once he has been registered (and probably given a bed) he can use the shower in Merchants quay. :eek:

http://homelessarticlesireland.blogspot.com/2018/08/homeless-articles-ireland-2018.html
    :pac::o

flowers345 wrote: »
    Yes if he has not been registered yet he has to present. To register he has to present. To get registered he needs to go through hoops. To get a referral letter from Merchants quay to register he has to make an appointment inside Merchants quay. To get into Merchants quay he has to be registered. :confused: To stay registered he needs to have a bed on a regular basis. A dorm-bed in a homeless place costs between 50 and 210 euro per week. When he is not so lucky to get a bed for a while (freephone-lucky draw) then he is DE-registered. If he goes on the list for housing then he is DE-registered. :mad: He can sleep at some Garda stations on the bench in the hall. He can not shower. He can not pass start but can go straight to jail if he steals a toothbrush or 2.

:D Once he has been registered (and probably given a bed) he can use the shower in Merchants quay. :eek:

http://homelessarticlesireland.blogspot.com/2018/08/homeless-articles-ireland-2018.html
    :pac::o

Thank you for this. The guy seemed totally genuine in telling me that, so I was surprised at all the other "experts" on this thread claiming it was untrue.

It's hardly surprising that they make registration so unnecessarily complex/ undesirable, when the homeless figures keep going up and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Would you?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Usual feckin rabble of self entitled layabouts looking for free stuff and criticising the hand that feeds them while the majority are busy working to pay for their dossing. :mad:
    Feckin sick of all this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

She's loving the bit of infamy isn't she? Probably thinks she's a celebrity now. Like a Kardashian or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

eviltwin wrote: »
    She's loving the bit of infamy isn't she? Probably thinks she's a celebrity now. Like a Kardashian or something.

How long until RTE gives her a daytime chat show or radio slot? I know neither of her parents were higher ups in RTE but I'm sure they can make an exception here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Tell me someone has seen her rant/speech outside the dail today?

She had a microphone and speaker and audience, oh dear.

Actually it’s on her Facebook page please check it out.

I despair I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Tell me someone has seen her rant/speech outside the dail today?

She had a microphone and speaker and audience, oh dear.

Actually it’s in her Facebook page please check it out.

I despair I really do.

I can see why the husband left!

https://www.facebook.com/100007227857780/videos/2153182491599325/

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    How long until RTE gives her a daytime chat show or radio slot? I know neither of her parents were higher ups in RTE but I'm sure they can make an exception here!

She can’t be any worse than that tool of Owen Macdermott or Fergal Darcy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Jimmy. wrote: »
    She can’t be any worse than that tool of Owen Macdermott or Fergal Darcy.

ohh she can she can

• Registered Users Posts: 81,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

john4321 wrote: »

She should have shut her legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

She won't shut er mouth..

Pity she didn't shut her legs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sure what else would you be doing on a workday?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

this is wrist slittingly depressing really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Wow...that was some 'speech'! We live in a great country when people like that can stand on the street and make such demands without ever having worked a day in their life or paid a cent of tax. And to be able to do that without an ounce of shame...phenomenal.

I'm sure Lenny Abrahamson or some other lefty arty farty is writing the screen play as we speak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement