Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

sightband wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/council-seeks-to-remove-mother-and-children-from-vacant-house-1.3629667

Don’t mess Chase, Harper rose or Pixy about or she’ll send the rest of the Paw Patrol after you.

The picture on the TV screen on the first photo of that article looks like it was photo-shopped in......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    The picture on the TV screen on the first photo of that article looks like it was photo-shopped in......

Or turn the f#ckin TV off when the press come and you,ve turned the waterworks on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

sightband wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/council-seeks-to-remove-mother-and-children-from-vacant-house-1.3629667

Don’t mess Chase, Harper rose or Pixy about or she’ll send the rest of the Paw Patrol after you.

Another leech.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Interesting that you feel entitled to speculate about her mother's sexual history, but seemingly have nothing to say about the father of these children, and whether that man's father was a responsible person?

On the Frederick Street thread, people were complaining that a house was being occupied in the city centre, and not a vacant house in 'somewhere like Darndale'. Now that a Darndale woman is occupying a house in her local area, I suppose we'll all have to find some other cause for outrage.

But her children's names!
    Yerra like mother like daughter!

Am I doing this right?

It's most likely a continuous line as the generation before this is of course well known but maybe you have your head in the sand.

I can only imagine it will be hell for whoever moves into this house now ,despite playing by the rules waiting their turn etc... no doubt they will be a target for the local rabble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Fine. Look, I've no skin in this game. I can live my life just fine, anti-traveller discrimination, or none.

But if the people who complain about travellers want any change, then they're going to also have to change their attitude towards travellers. Both sides are going to have to move, that's how any negotiation works.

You can complain that it's unfair and people can declare that they'll continue to discriminate; fine by me. But nothing will ever change.

Both sides are going to have to move, that's how any negotiation works.

Some bizzare argumentum ad temperantiam that

Why would "both sides have to move" in things like this ? :

We need some American police over here, short term pain, long term gain

gctest50 wrote: »

I reckon if that red car moved very quickly to the right we could make progress:rolleyes:

Not actually what I was saying, of course, but don't let that stop you.

I was saying that travellers will continue to isolate themselves from integration, and will continue to have no stake in social welfare, so long as they feel rejected by that society. Similarly, they will continue to be rejected so long as the settled community perceive travellers to be a social threat, or a drain on social resources.

But, yeah... lets bring in some armed US cops and maybe even shoot the fcukers, I'm sure your proposal is a lot more popular among some of the police fantasists here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,987 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I reckon if that red car moved very quickly to the right we could make progress:rolleyes:

So, this was a 'team' of Traveller's protecting the racers from the guards? And the people videoing for Youtube were traveller's as well?

I noticed that a 'wall' of cars seemed to get behind the lead horse eventually, preventing the guards from getting close. Wow. Just for jollies and to endanger the other road users because... they could

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

I was saying that travellers will continue to isolate themselves from integration, and will continue to have no stake in social welfare, so long as they feel rejected by that society. Similarly, they will continue to be rejected so long as the settled community perceive travellers to be a social threat, or a drain on social resources.

But, yeah... lets bring in some armed US cops and maybe even shoot the fcukers, I'm sure your proposal is a lot more popular among some of the police fantasists here.

Travellers like the current situation.

Endless handouts, zero taxes and obeying laws are optional.

Travellers have little to gain from changing, they have a culture of wild freedom from norms.

• Advertisement

Travellers like the current situation.

Endless handouts, zero taxes and obeying laws are optional.

Travellers have little to gain from changing, they have a culture of wild freedom from norms.
    Yeah, the fact that their suicide rate is six times that of the general population shows us that they're having a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yeah, the fact that their suicide rate is six times that of the general population shows us that they're having a great time.

The traveller men seem to be taking it out on the women if the domestic violence stats are anything to go by.

Maybe that's contributing to the suicides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

There are many reasons why a suicide rate might be high among a particular ethnic group in a society.

Whether they are having a great time or not, they are benefiting from a society they have little to no respect for.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The traveller men seem to be taking it out on the women if the domestic violence stats are anything to go by.

A traveller once told me that it was their right to beat their wives.
    And that nobody should interfere.

There are many reasons why a suicide rate might be high among a particular ethnic group in a society.
    For sure.

But joi de vivre is not among those reasons.

I'm not saying that the desperate living conditions of most travellers is irrelevant to their personal choices; i'm simply saying those choices are informed by a wider cultural context where travellers face significant discrimination, for example difficulties in finding employment or accommodation.

I'm not for a moment trying to claim that the discrimination is based on anything other than anti-social behaviour within the travelling community. That is an incontestable fact.

Nevertheless, i would hate to be a young traveller, emerging into adulthood, and genuinely trying to get my life together. Anyone in that position is starting from a position of tremendous disadvantage, so don't be surprised to see them fail when we seem to write them off based on their group identity.

For sure.

But joi de vivre is not among those reasons.

I'm not saying that the desperate living conditions of most travellers is irrelevant to their personal choices; i'm simply saying those choices are informed by a wider cultural context where travellers face significant discrimination, for example difficulties in finding employment or accommodation.

I'm not for a moment trying to claim that the discrimination is based on anything other than anti-social behaviour within the travelling community. That is an incontestable fact.

Nevertheless, i would hate to be a young traveller, emerging into adulthood, and genuinely trying to get my life together. Anyone in that position is starting from a position of tremendous disadvantage, so don't be surprised to see them fail when we seem to write them off based on their group identity.

There are a many peoples who start with a large disadvantage but that does not excuse their behavior. We can see this continually through our judicial system, such and such came from a difficult background so they should be afforded more leniency in their punishment.

The more excuses we make for a people, the longer it will take for them to get their act together.

I have personally met a number of settled travelers who you wouldnt even know were and the reason for that is their willingness to integrate into a society that offers them a way forward.

Coming from a disadvantaged background is never easy but the solution is not to make excuses for them and afford them continuous understanding in everything that they do. That only makes the problem worse

Its the horses I feel sorry for there, being pushed to exhaustion, racing along a busy road where an innocent person could be killed trying to avoid them.

Connors and Collins have nothing to say when this kind of thing is happening.

That does not tell us anything, travellers have a different culture to us, they live high risk lives relative to the average settled person, traveller customs and traveller politics is hard and brutal, some travellers are mercilessly shunned, there is no reason to assume suicide in the traveller community has anything to do with the broader society.

Such a conclusion smacks of Liberal ideology

I. E, if a minority is struggling in a particular area, its due to the majority culture.

Whether they are having a great time or not, they are benefiting from a society they have little to no respect for.

Various PC Liberals beit in media or academia constantly tell travellers that they are owed a living, lifestyle, culture by tax payers and even after all that one sided arrangement, the settled community are still a bunch of big racist bastard according to these enlightened leftists.

Various PC Liberals beit in media or academia constantly tell travellers that they are owed a living, lifestyle, culture by tax payers and even after all that one sided arrangement, the settled community are still a bunch of big racist bastard according to these enlightened leftists.

Travellers have no respect for the houses they are given because they get them for nothing and know if they wreck the property it will be fixed by the council (taxpayer).

I feel sorry for council workers having to listen to their constant whinging day in day out.

• Advertisement

If we are so bad, why dont they go it on their own, see how long they last

Travellers have no respect for the houses they are given because they get them for nothing and know if they wreck the property it will be fixed by the council (taxpayer).

I feel sorry for council workers having to listen to their constant whinging day in day out.

Know a man who is a carpet fitter and often does work for the councils which involves fitting in the homes of travellers thee odd time, he claims they are both incredibly demanding and incredibly annoying as they are constantly telling him how to do his job.

Me and the Mrs have another child arriving in a week or two, we were in uhg two weeks ago for a checkup, traveller woman there in quee, up every five minutes badgering the staff to get seen quicker. Woman got talking to her at one stage, having her sixth and there is us wondering how we will afford this second and final one.

Know a man who is a carpet fitter and often does work for the councils which involves fitting in the homes of travellers thee odd time, he claims they are both incredibly demanding and incredibly annoying as they are constantly telling him how to do his job.

Me and the Mrs have another child arriving in a week or two, we were in uhg two weeks ago for a checkup, traveller woman there in quee, up every five minutes badgering the staff to get seen quicker. Woman got talking to her at one stage, having her sixth and there is us wondering how we will afford this second and final one.

Was in Ballinasloe hospital myself one Saturday night in A&E and they came in shouting to be seen immediately, there was about 10 of them there with the person who wanted to be treated.

Very difficult on staff having to deal with that carry on.

Was in Ballinasloe hospital myself one Saturday night in A&E and they came in shouting to be seen immediately, there was about 10 of them there with the person who wanted to be treated.

Very difficult on staff having to deal with that carry on.

Even one of them has something as trivial as an ingrown toenail, the entire extended clan arrive en masse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

:mad:

So upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Pop in to the Bridewell
    They do a lovely breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

BBFAN wrote: »
    On the reverse side of that, I've only ever had positive experiences with travellers, 1 a hairdresser in my local town who is a lovely lady and another 2 ladies I met on a course.

So that's 100% positive.

It is and you're lucky. I would imagine if there was a poll you would be in the minority.
    padd b1975 wrote: »

Luckily they can take it out on their illegally owned horses and dogs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

exactly. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

You say this is seen constantly in the media and academia, you ll have no problem finding **** loads of links then. Can you post a few I m interested in seeing how they justify anyone being owed a living

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Do they pay water and electricity charges?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement