Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shít that people pay over-the-odds for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Was sent to the offie yesterday for a bottle of birthday Moet. 56 fcuking quid for a bottle of cheap wine with some bubbles in it. .

Shut up your whining and get back here with my champagne.
    Shop-bought paracetamol? .

Where else can you get paracetemol?
    I'm bitter AF about that Moet, tbh.

Again with the whining, just hurry the fúck up, I'm thirsty:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

How often would you actually buy Moet though?
    I guess that's why it's the price it is. Not everyday you'd be buying the champagne.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Was the Moet vintage or non-vintage? €56 is a bit steep for the non-vintage alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Buy a bale of a hay of a farmer for 3 euros, that will see them out..

why would a farmer give you a bale of hay for 3 euro?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Houses, Wtf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

fryup wrote: »
    still wouldn't drink from the tap though

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

It's pronounced "Moette ay chandon"
    You're all saying it wrong.

cml387 wrote: »
    It's pronounced "Moette ay chandon"
    You're all saying it wrong.

probably closer to 'mo-wett' what with the guy being dutch and the accent over the e in Moët.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I do like moet rose though!

Lidl used to do the nicest prosecco ever and it was about a tenner. Had a lovely honey aftertaste. Nicer than a lot of 15-20+ bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why would a farmer give you a bale of hay for 3 euro?:confused:

Thats the price of a small square bale...lots of farmers bale them just to sell, you will see endless ads by sellers on places like DoneDeal etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Cars.

People squander stupefying amounts of money on cars and changing cars every few years. It is a level of profligacy that would be viewed as pure stupid if it was spent on any other thing.

I good, reliable car can be had for € 1,500 if you do your homework. I would never spend any more than that on a car.

My sister & brother in law have a 141 Audi A6 and she was recently complaining about money being tight with them. Then I hear her talking about them trading in the Audi for a newish Mercedes. So my sympathy for their money worries is very limited.

Edit: And the who whinge about how hard it is to make ends meet are very often the yummy mummies with big new cars and fancy holidays and a million and one paid activities for the kids. Of course it's hard to make ends meet when you're pishing it all away on non-essential crap.

People squander stupefying amounts of money on cars and changing cars every few years. It is a level of profligacy that would be viewed as pure stupid if it was spent on any other thing.

Continual consumption is good for the economy, hence good for us, you may need reprogramming!

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

sxt wrote: »
    Takeout coffee. One a day and you are looking at over 1k per year

I'd prefer spend a grand per year on coffee than beer.

Not the filling station crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

DavyD_83 wrote:
    Bottle water is the biggest sham of all

Tap water in Ireland is muck. I don't care is some report says it's the best water in Europe, it's still muck.

Now, if you have your own well, that's a different story.

Tap water in Ireland is muck. I don't care is some report says it's the best water in Europe, it's still muck.

Tap water is generally fine in Ireland, 'the best', terms used to just flog you something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Smartphones in general, especially the 'high-end' ones.

For example, the Samsung Galaxy S3 was like €600 on launch, but the Galaxy S9 is about €750 now.

The iPhone 4 was $699 and now the iPhone XS will set you back €999.

Its called inflation. Prices usually increase over time.
    iphone 4 was released 8 years ago.

Still overpriced but the increase isnt strange.

Its called inflation. Prices usually increase over time. iphone 4 was released 8 years ago.

Haven't bought a phone in well over 10 years, you d be surprised what people call rubbish

Reminds me of a neighbour of mine who used to sell veg that the supermarkets won't take, at one of these farmer's markets.

The poor dears paying 3 quid for a few deformed onions thought they were getting something better than they'd get in Aldi, when really it was just Aldi cast-offs.

Supermarkets chains enforce the wastage of an insanely large amount of food by demanding uniform sizing and shapes of fruit and veg.

An oddly shaped tomato is just as good as a regular round one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

E mac wrote: »
    Cigarettes.....

To be fair, almost all of the price is tax of one firm or another... They don't get to do much advertising or marketing anymore...
    As to why anyone actually smokes them though is beyond me...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

xzanti wrote: »
    Pet care.

I have two guinea pigs. Have had them for four years now.

A bag of hay is anything up to 4.99 depending on where you buy it. Same with a bag of wood shavings. Bag of dry food for a guinea pig is another fiver.

Lets say I buy the above in Tesco which is the cheapest that I can see, once a week for the four years. 4.50 for nuts, 3.99 for hay, 3.99 for shavings = 648.96.

So in four years I've paid minimally 2,595.84 to care for TWO FCUKING GUINEA PIGS.

That's not including fruit and veg which they also need every single day. And if they need to go to the vet that's more money.

Expensive little critters :o

Serves you right for buying stupid pets. :D
    I think its time for the critters to "escape" and have escaped to a "better" life.
    The kids will get over it.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote:
    To be fair, almost all of the price is tax of one firm or another... They don't get to do much advertising or marketing anymore... As to why anyone actually smokes them though is beyond me...

We ve had enough exposure to the lies of marketing to promote that industry, but their mere presents is a form of advertisement, it is a highly addictive substance after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's grand in that you don't get the scutters after drinking it generally speaking unlike some other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We ve had enough exposure to the lies of marketing to promote that industry, but their mere presents is a form of advertisement, it is a highly addictive substance after all.

Everyone knows how bad it is at this stage yet new batches of eejits still take up smoking.

Haven't bought a phone in well over 10 years, you d be surprised what people call rubbish

I have phones that are 20 years old and still work. Doesnt mean they are not rubbish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Buy a bale of a hay of a farmer for 3 euros, that will see them out..

You beat me to it. ;) I used to ask when my dogs needed a hay bed. As it was just for bedding I got last years and free.

Any saw mill will be glad to get rid of shavings, sawdust etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Your phone is rubbish compared to the latest ones.

Yep; has to be treated though,Last rental I had with a well the water stank of rotten eggs. One after that was from a mountain stream that ran through a cattle yard and the owner went mental when I asked was it potable... On mains here and it is grand

The figures on EPA re pollution in domestic wells is scary.

why are people using hay for bedding? should they not be using straw?

Serves you right for buying stupid pets. :D
    I think its time for the critters to "escape" and have escaped to a "better" life.
    The kids will get over it.

:eek:

• Advertisement

Property.

The fact that people are queuing up all over again, to buy over-priced property in this country, will mean that a huge amount of cash will (once again) be sucked out of the economy over a 25 year period.

As someone mentioned on boards before one time, if a buyer borrows €250,000 over 25 years @ 4% rate of interest, they will eventually be paying back €395,000 over the term of the loan.

This of course, is not reflected on the price tag on the house when it is advertised in the estate agents.
    So while people will complain about having over-paid for concert tickets, cars, hair-dos etc, no one will mention the elephant in the room.

Advertisement