Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Thats a savage bull isnt it.
    The father is much the same.. .....

That bull on Donedeal was second in his class in Tullamore.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Fine bull alright but his feet seem a bit iffy to me.

Fine bull alright but his feet seem a bit iffy to me.

The result of too much feeding, I'd say.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Had one last year. Found her very hard to finish.

• Advertisement

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Had one last year. Found her very hard to finish.
    Out of your own cow? Was she muscley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Out of your own cow? Was she muscley?

No bought her. She was a cull from a ped herd. Dinky heifer but she wanted months more to do her right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone ever used Balthayock Hamish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

What charlaois bull from Dovea would anyone recommend for a second calver. She is a lmxfr cow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    What charlaois bull from Dovea would anyone recommend for a second calver. She is a lmxfr cow

Clenagh jasper /knockmyle loki/ usufruit
    Easiest calving. Better calves but slightly harder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Knockmoyle10 Loki or Potterleagh Mark
    Bivouac would be an option especially for Maternal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

He's up on done deal a while. I thought that he would be gone quick. Serious looking animal.

He's up on done deal a while. I thought that he would be gone quick. Serious looking animal.

Probably looking for too much. I saw a guy refuse €3,5k for a yearling limousin heifer earlier this year. Same heifer was at Tullamore, I think. Some lads have high expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Bivouac would be an option especially for Maternal

Does anyone here have any calves by Loki?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Clenagh jasper /knockmyle loki/ usufruit
    Easiest calving. Better calves but slightly harder

What sort of cows suit Loki and Jasper plain or muscly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

RobinBanks wrote: »
    What sort of cows suit Loki and Jasper plain or muscly?

Red ones. :D their new bulls so their isnt much known on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Bivouac
    would be an option especially for Maternal

Used those two for the first time this year, should be interesting. Thought Potterleagh Mark would be a nice cross for taller cows, though also liked Milo & Loki.

Don't understand how this lad is still allowed to stand in ai. How is he still 5 star. Much better bulls out there with worse stars. With daughter calving difficulty over %12 there must be allot of lads that got caught with no room to calve at all. Very bad traits to allow breed into cows.

https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/716646098#view-beef-eurostar

Don't understand how this lad is still allowed to stand in ai. How is he still 5 star. Much better bulls out there with worse stars. With daughter calving difficulty over %12 there must be allot of lads that got caught with no room to calve at all. Very bad traits to allow breed into cows.

Only caesarian ever here, was an APZ heifer. Absolute pet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭High bike

so how can he be 5* replacement at 98% reliability, the mind boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

High bike wrote: »

so how can he be 5* replacement at 98% reliability, the mind boggles
    Look at the Geno Eval tab...that shows how he gets to 115. Good carcass weight, milk and fertility. The poor daughter calving figure only accounts for 6% of his overall figure whereas the 3 mentioned above account for 37%

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Nearly 13000 offspring so someone obviously likes him out there. Not sure why though as you said that daughter calving difficulty is brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Had a couple of apostle calves out of good lim cows. Feel very lukewarm about them, kept them on where they suited but terrible calvers and gutty cattle too. Decent markings but that counts for little enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Nearly 13000 offspring so someone obviously likes him out there. Not sure why though as you said that daughter calving difficulty is brutal!

Pg/Munster the biggest player in ai by far and they pushed him hard. Also the only ai company now involved in Icbf I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Does anyone here have any calves by Loki?

Had a few this year not too pleased with them tbh. They look like white limousins :pac: no frame to them at all like what you'd expect with a charolais

Loki

Loki

Mods, please delete...:cool:

Got 5 On-Dit (ONI) straws today from Munster AI. €30 each.
    Asked about Doudou.TD (LM2321) too and all were gone.

Got 5 On-Dit (ONI) straws today from Munster AI. €30 each.
    Asked about Doudou.TD (LM2321) too and all were gone.

He's in the back breeding of a lot of cattle so he must be good. I've no experience of him. Seems value at that though. Would he breed a bit like ronick hawk? Good female maker on smaller well built girls?

I've a nice big framed favori Heifer, real nice cow in the making and a nice long popsi heifer to bull in a few weeks. Going to try my hand at a small bit of autumn calving 😂. I was thinking of using commander because they are shy of stars. Ever used him?

• Advertisement

He's in the back breeding of a lot of cattle so he must be good. I've no experience of him. Seems value at that though. Would he breed a bit like ronick hawk? Good female maker on smaller well built girls?

I've a nice big framed favori Heifer, real nice cow in the making and a nice long popsi heifer to bull in a few weeks. Going to try my hand at a small bit of autumn calving ��. I was thinking of using commander because they are shy of stars. Ever used him?

Ya, I'm hoping on-dit will add milk and a bit of frame to smaller mucley types I have here.
    No commander calves on the ground here yet. Bought straws a few years back and not much luck with them. Don't know if it was the quality of the straws or what, but cows didn't hold. Have one heifer in-calf to him at the moment, so fingers crossed. From what i've seen of him, he seems to breed tight gutted types with good muscle.

Advertisement