Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Special Event - September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Am I right in saying you will no longer be able to buy the X from apple now, the Xr is its replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Correct

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

14murphy wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you will no longer be able to buy the X from apple now, the Xr is its replacement.
    Yeah they’ve discontinued the iPhone X, which is the first time they’ve ever done that I think. At least that I can remember since the 3GS. Normally they’d keep it in the lineup at a reduced price but it must not of been a fit this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

No, the xs is the replacement. XR replaces the 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DubDJ wrote: »
    Honestly, you come onto a thread where people are discussing buying the new iPhones and say your ‘embarrassed’ for people still buying the iPhone and don’t expect people to get annoyed.

By all means discuss the pros and cons of the iPhone compared to other phones. But there’s no need for the ridiculous comments like that. It’s low level trolling and looking for trouble.

There’s a million reasons people will buy the new iPhone, some people much prefer iOS to Android, some just want one of the best phones on the market regardless of price. Both are completely fine reasons.

I personally much prefer iOS to Android, just my opinion. I’m not happy about Apple rasing the prices the way they are, but at the same time i’m still using one of the best rated phones you can buy, and I’m not embarrassed about that one bit.

Your points a perfectly fine, and very true every individual is different. But please stop equating price to best. Its quite simply not true on all measures.

And they have not even been in the best rated for 2 years.

So whilst its perfectly fine to say you prefer on OS to another or the layout of the feel of the device. Simply saying its more expensive ergo its better is a falsehood and that is what gets some folks backs up and they are perfectly entitled to tackle that position.

Apple have been left behind on all levels for 2 years. They are playing catch up, Thats fine competition is healthy for the consumer. As long may it continue. im sure they will come out with some defining feature in their next few models too.

Competition for all.

The price hikes are gauling though for all Marques.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah they’ve discontinued the iPhone X, which is the first time they’ve ever done that I think. At least that I can remember since the 3GS. Normally they’d keep it in the lineup at a reduced price but it must not of been a fit this year.

That's to avoid the X cannibalizing the sale of the new phones.

If they reduced the price of the X people would just buy it over the new models seeing as there is so little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

“my phone is better and Apple are overpriced”

There's little of the former in fairness, but plenty of the latter, and it's an inarguable fact, and there's no reason not to discuss it again after the Apple event and release of those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hurrache wrote: »
    The charging cables from Apple are just as bad. The ongoing joke on Twitter throughout the event was that people didn't want any new phones, just for Apple to fix the quality of their cables, with photos of all their frayed ones.

Wireless charging, no need for cables

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

No, the 8 is still available from Apple.

Not overly impressed at all by the new phone updates. Of course as a technophile I'd love a brand new Xs Max. The screen seems a thing of beauty but apart from that I can't justify the price and will stick with my 8+. I will be ordering an Xs Max for the boss tomorrow so I will get my hands on one sooner rather than later.
    Any suggestions where I would get an X. Was going to buy one new for my girlfriend for Christmas, maybe CompuB will continue selling them and I'll pick one up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

No, the 8 is still available from Apple.

Yes, but the Xr is what replaces it on the product roadmap.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Your points a perfectly fine, and very true every individual is different. But please stop equating price to best. Its quite simply not true on all measures.

So whilst its perfectly fine to say you prefer on OS to another or the layout of the feel of the device. Simply saying its more expensive ergo its better is a falsehood and that is what gets some folks backs up and they are perfectly entitled to tackle that position.

Apple have been left behind on all levels for 2 years. They are playing catch up, Thats fine competition is healthy for the consumer. As long may it continue. im sure they will come out with some defining feature in their next few models too.

Competition for all.

I literally never said that, if anything I wish Apple would drop prices and I’ve criticised them for it in this thread. Never once said or implied it’s the best because of the price.

It’s been consistently put up in the top three phones especially since they finally dropped a decent update with the X. Look at most reviews and comparisons and the iPhone is usually in the top 3 phones. That’s what I’m basing my statements on, not the price.

At this stage the market is very mature so there’s a tonne of competition, each phone will win out in certain areas. Google Pixel - best cameras but bad design, Galaxy S9 - gorgeous design and excellent screens, iPhone’s have some of the best performance out there with Apples custom A-Series chips. They have been consistently well built phones with solid performance.

Each phone has strengths over one another but I’d 100% argue that’s its still not one of the top rated phones of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Exactly.. the Xs Replaces the X

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Says pre-order 14th - Does this usually go live at midnight or how does it work?

Told the daughter I'd get her the XS and now she's annoying me for confirmation emails. Doing my head in.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Says pre-order 14th - Does this usually go live at midnight or how does it work?

Told the daughter I'd get her the XS and now she's annoying me for confirmation emails. Doing my head in.
    Could be but it’s usually US time so more than likely 8am for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Could be but it’s usually US time so more than likely 8am for Ireland.

Cheers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

8:01am irish time 00.01am your time, so a minute past midnight tonight.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Can I be your daughter too? I'm quiet and I don't eat much.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I switched to OnePlus a few years ago and so happy I did.

Feel sorry and embarrassed for apple fans on here every September

Any links to your posts from Samsung, Huawei and OnePlus threads over in the Android forum where you were equally annoyed by their respective price hiking? You must feel pretty sorry & embarrassed for yourself given that your chosen brand OnePlus have hiked prices by a rage-inducing 32.6% or 42.6% in two years. You must have countless posts on Boards showing that you don't like greedy OnePlus hiking their prices year after year. Of course you don't.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-iphone-and-android-prices-will-get-even-higher/

"Creeping prices on high-end handsets from Huawei and even "value" darling OnePlus signal that price hikes are here to stay.

But the largest leap of all belongs to the OnePlus phones, whose price tag since 2016 has soared 32.6 percent in the US and 42.6 percent in the UK.

We see the most shocking escalation from OnePlus, whose price jumps up each time a new model arrives."

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

Was in a Vodafone shop yesterday morning to consider switching to them and onto an 8 plus 64gb for €450. I currently have a 7 plus and love the screen size. Now these new phones are out, should I get one of those instead? Or are they likely to be way more expensive? Should I head back in an pick up the 8 plus while they still exist? Or what would be the equivalent model to the 8 plus in these new phones? Thanks!

itsmine wrote: »
    Was in a Vodafone shop yesterday morning to consider switching to them and onto an 8 plus 64gb for €450. I currently have a 7 plus and love the screen size. Now these new phones are out, should I get one of those instead? Or are they likely to be way more expensive? Should I head back in an pick up the 8 plus while they still exist? Or what would be the equivalent model to the 8 plus in these new phones? Thanks!
    The 8 plus isn’t going anywhere, Apple are keeping it on sale. They’ve actually reduced their prices so it will probably work out in your favour for waiting. Wait and see what prices Vodafone offer for the new model and make your decision. Keep in mind that the Xr won’t be out until near end of October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

listermint wrote: »

Competition for all.

Yawnnnn

Touch ID-yet to see android implementation that works as good
    Face ID- 2 years ahead of all other companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Blazer wrote: »
    2yrs?
    Not sure what phone it was, but Unbox Therapy recently showed a phone that did face unlock and it was just as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Devil is always in the detail with Apple.....Dual sim had me excited and considering changing back from Android. Then I read it was e-sim and AFAIK no one in Ireland offers this. A bit of googling indicates the lack of e-sim has been raised with carriers for at least 2 years or more on various forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yawnnnn

C'mon now. I have a company Galaxy J5, a mid range phone, if even that, and the finger print ID works seamlessly.

Unless you're a iPhone designer, there's no need to get so defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

2yrs?
    Not sure what phone it was, but Unbox Therapy recently showed a phone that did face unlock and it was just as quick.

I'd wager that phone is not as secure. You might be able to unlock it with a photo or someone that looks similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

brevity wrote: »
    I'd wager that phone is not as secure. You might be able to unlock it with a photo or someone that looks similar.
    I've had issues with FaceID, it's not the most amazing thing out there.
    Sometimes in clear light it fails, then other times wearing sun glasses it unlocks.
    On TouchID, I've seen plenty of vids from Unbox Therapy where it's borderline instantaneous. So not sure where you are getting your info.

• Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yawnnnn

Windows Phones had FaceID years ago. Apple weren’t the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

awec wrote: »
    Windows Phones had FaceID years ago. Apple weren’t the first.

Yes but apples version is far more advanced.
    Lol even Samsung’s last phone could be unlocked with a picture of someone :)
    God android fanboys are so defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yawnnnn

Im an iPhone user but had a OnePlus 3T for a year and the touch id was alot quicker than iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Yes but apples version is far more advanced.
    Lol even Samsung’s last phone could be unlocked with a picture of someone :)
    God android fanboys are so defensive.

The same can be said for apple fanboys.

Advertisement