Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Special Event - September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'd say this will be the last year we see an iphone under 1000 quid.

They will try and normalize the 1179 euros lowest price X as the entry to iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

DubDJ wrote: »
    There are a lot more to both phones other than specs in fairness. Smaller things like screen quality, build quality, more premium components, Qi charging, cameras etc add value and bring up the price of the iPhone. But I agree that comparing both shows how ridiculous iPhone pricing has become, there's no way the iPhone is worth more than three times the price of the Poco. It's not as black and white as it is on the spec sheet though.

I completely agree that the iPhone is more premium etc has lots of small nicer things to it. But to me that doesn’t justify a price comparison of €300 odd to €1179. At the higher end Samsung and particularly apple are taking the complete pi*s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

DubDJ wrote: »
    Nope, just dropped down the line to a lower price, still on sale but the Xr is kinda taking it's place.

Should I go ahead and get an 8 or wait for the Xr?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

godtabh wrote: »
    What was the price of the last Gen watch?

€409 for the 42mm Series 3.

• Administrators Posts: 53,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't get that this is an incremental upgrade weaker that before.

A new 64-bit A12 Bionic processor (the worlds first 7nm chip) with M12 motion coprocessor, which has a 4-core GPU and a 6-core CPU. The GPU is up to 50-percent faster than the A11. The CPU has two performance cores that are 15-percent faster and four efficiency cores.

So... Thats pretty impressive. You all realise that in a few years this kind of increase can't happen. As in desktops.

They will then try to get people in using more design features I suppose.
    Who cares about this stuff?

Apple sell an experience. Nobody buys a phone because of it's processor or memory or whatever. These things are not relevant to consumers.

When you see this stuff make the marketing material it just means they ran out of interesting things to talk about, so they are trying to impress people with pointless numbers.

Great, it has a better CPU. Can it do anything new because of this that's actually impressive? What am I as a customer going to get as a result of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Hogzy wrote: »
    Xr starts at 879eur...Thats INSANE! How much was the iPhone 8 64gb up until today?

The much rumoured "budget" phone is €879?? €1499 for the actual "flagship"?? And yet people will queue around the block to hand over the cash. This is lunacy. It reminds me of the Housing Bubble but in this case there are lots of affordable options that do the same job but still people will buy these in their millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Whats the story with the ECG on the new watch. The hardware seems to be there but is all the functionality available here in Ireland?

Also do you think mobile carriers here will ever offer E-Sim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

sean72 wrote: »
    Whats the story with the ECG on the new watch. The hardware seems to be there but is all the functionality available here in Ireland?

No, they made a big deal about getting FDA approval in America so I presume they'd have to get the same from whatever the Irish/EU equivalent is. My guess is that these negotiations haven't even begun yet so we're probably going to be waiting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

why was the 128GB dropped? Need to decide now if I go from my 7plus 128gb to the xsMax 64gb or go for the 256.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Gael23 wrote: »
    Should I go ahead and get an 8 or wait for the Xr?
    That's your decision really haha. The Xr is definitely closer to the iPhone Xs than the 8. The iPhone 8 starts at €709, the new Xr starts at €879. Depends if it's worth the difference for the price. Keep in mind you can buy an iPhone 8 today and have it in a few days. The Xr won't be out until late October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

No, they made a big deal about getting FDA approval in America so I presume they'd have to get the same from whatever the Irish/EU equivalent is. My guess is that these negotiations haven't even begun yet so we're probably going to be waiting a while.

OK so it can't be used at all. Christ thats crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'd imagine part of the big deal with FDA approval is they are hoping that Docs can prescribe them as part of health insurance.

If you picked up a watch in the US would you get access to the functionality I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

awec wrote: »

When you see this stuff make the marketing material it just means they ran out of interesting things to talk about

Nail on the head there!

It got a bit repetitive after a while....”this is the best insert feature we have ever made....I am so proud of the team....it is beautiful/gorgeous”

I have never seen a new model go backwards and regress in speed and technology....you would be in trouble then...of course it’s going to be the best you’ve ever made ffs.

I don’t think it will be available at launch in the US next week either. Jeff Williams said something like ‘by the end of the year’. It may well be the case that Apple are hoping for EU approval in the interim for a synchronised launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Disappointed there’s no stainless steel model for Apple Watch in the Irish store, gonna have to fork out the premium for the cellular model from the U.K. store. Even though it would be a big upgrade going from the original watch to the series 4 it would feel cosmetically like a downgrade switching from stainless steel milanese loop to an aluminium with sports band. Iv seen people put their milanese loop on the aluminium before but it just doesn’t look right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

dan786 wrote: »
    XS from 1179, 1349, 1579
    XS Max from 1279, 1449, 1679.

Thats in Euros.

Insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Pelvis wrote: »
    Insanity.

Undoubtedly we’ll soon get the ‘you can get a similar android phone for €5’ posts.

I don’t want an android phone. I want an apple phone. I’ll gladly pay a premium for the phone I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

ArthurG wrote: »
    Undoubtedly we’ll soon get the ‘you can get a similar android phone for €5’ posts.

I don’t want an android phone. I want an apple phone. I’ll gladly pay a premium for the phone I want.

Yep. But God forbid you'd spend your money on what you want to!

Wouldn't be certain of that. As long as it's not sold as a medical device the functionality could still be active.
    touts wrote: »
    The much rumoured "budget" phone is €879?? €1499 for the actual "flagship"?? And yet people will queue around the block to hand over the cash. This is lunacy. It reminds me of the Housing Bubble but in this case there are lots of affordable options that do the same job but still people will buy these in their millions.

Ah steady on...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea, crazy prices but people will pay them.

Im not a huge fan of the Xr...

I wonder is there much point getting the first generation X if it's still in Vodafone or Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jaysus, those prices! I'm locked in to the Apple ecosystem so I'm not going anywhere but €1700 for a phone is Bay Area/London salary prices. I'd love to know what kind of Irish person on a piddly 60k is willing to throw the guts of two grand at a phone up front. There's paying a premium and then there's this...Apple seem insistent in setting the inflation rate and they seem to be succeeding. My euro is now worth 50% of what it was 4 years ago in the premium cell phone market!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Felt crap and disappointed last year about the price increase and that it was to much, Prices are what I expected this year, so not as disappointed. Still frustrated though.

Yet they still sell loads. There is no ceiling when it comes to apple. Even as an Apple fan I wish they got stung on sales and are forced to lower prices some year.

I am eyeing up the Max. But the Xs might do. As I am moving from the 8 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

blink44 wrote: »
    Disappointed there’s no stainless steel model for Apple Watch in the Irish store, gonna have to fork out the premium for the cellular model from the U.K. store. Even though it would be a big upgrade going from the original watch to the series 4 it would feel cosmetically like a downgrade switching from stainless steel milanese loop to an aluminium with sports band. Iv seen people put their milanese loop on the aluminium before but it just doesn’t look right

That’s crazy?! What’s the reason for no stainless steel?

Why do you have to pay €1700? You can get a new phone for €1200?

I'd love to know what kind of Irish person on a piddly 60k is willing to throw the guts of two grand at a phone up front.

Possibly very few because you don’t need to. I have a 64 gig iPhone 8 with 44 gig free. I stream music and movies and all my photos are backed up to the cloud. Nobody need a phone with half a terabyte of storage. The price of additional cloud storage is a fraction of that premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

mad muffin wrote: »
    That’s crazy?! What’s the reason for no stainless steel?

Apparently stainless steel is only for the cellular models. I suppose il be ready should any network decide to support it in the future, probably wishful thinking. I just can’t bring myself to buy the sport model when I’m so used to the stainless steel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

64GB definitely wouldn't suffice for me but I agree with your point (both of you). I suppose what was getting at is as someone who usually gets their top of the line offering every year things have gotten out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

BDJW wrote: »
    Vodafone in the UK have been providing eSim support for the cellular Apple Watch since this day last year, and it still hasn’t reached Ireland, so I wouldn’t be holding your breath

No they haven’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

FourFourFM wrote: »
    No they haven’t.

My mistake, it was EE that had it since last year. And it’s coming soon with Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ArthurG wrote: »

And undoubtedly you'll be asked why? Why pay insane amounts for a phone just because, in your own words, it's made by Apple?

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    And undoubtedly you'll be asked why? Why pay insane amounts for a phone just because, in your own words, it's made by Apple?

What constitutes an insane amount is relative.

Advertisement