Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

billyhead wrote: »
    So much bitterness on this thread against the church
    It was a very small minority of priests whom abused their position. You would swear they were all at it the way some clowns here go on.

You just don't/refuse to get it do you. The issue is now less with the small minority of priests its with the hierarchy moving them on to different dioceses to do the same to other children rather than turning them in. The issue is the cover up not necessarily the deed. I hope that makes it clearer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Where two or three are gathered in My Name I am with them." Jesus Christ . I was there in spirit on RTE and it was a magnificent, joyful and uplifting occasion. I wish I could have been there in person. There were crowds there, wonderful crowds. Great numbers.

At Knock, earlier, there were 45,000, a capacity attendance... strong sincere folk with joy in their hearts; lots of families.

The atmosphere was sheer joy and sincere.

Please excuse me now? Very, very unwell but happy at the day. So over and out from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It was a very small minority of priests whom abused their position. You would swear they were all at it the way some clowns here go on.

Small number ?

How will we know we never properly investigated and the church is actively destroying documents even up to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Allinall wrote: »
    Who’s going to fire him?
    No body will fire him ...he will slip away into the night with the excuse of ill health or the likes..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who’s going to fire him?

God?sure hes real isnt he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Dont forget also that 400000 turned up in Limerick

350000 in Drogeda

300000 in Galway

450 000 at Knock

Plus 750 000 lined the streets of Dublin on his way back from Drogeda

These are recorded facts.

https://youtu.be/3f6YPyc_OuI

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

No it wasn’t.

Residents were able to come and go as they pleased.

no they were not, they were made prisoners in their own homes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Tzardine wrote: »
    road_high wrote: »
    That’s brutal if true

In 79, over 1 million people turned up. About 35%  of the whole country.

If it is 130,000 today then thats 2.7%, and that includes everybody involved in the event.

That says it all really. What would it be in another 40 years when the current group of older people die off. The Pope could probably not fill a Starbucks then.
    Haha. Shocking from the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Graces7 wrote: »
    "Where two or three are gathered in My Name I am with them." Jesus Christ . I was there in spirit on RTE and it was a magnificent, joyful and uplifting occasion. I wish I could have been there in person. There were crowds there, wonderful crowds. Great numbers.

At Knock, earlier, there were 45,000, a capacity attendance... strong sincere folk with joy in their hearts; lots of families.

The atmosphere was sheer joy and sincere.

Please excuse me now? Very, very unwell but happy at the day. So over and out from here.

I hope you said a few prayers that the church will stop covering up the sexual abuse of children while you watched the "joy" of the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Graces7 wrote: »

Please excuse me now? Very, very unwell but happy at the day.

Think you might need to get that fever checked, you seem delerious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE not mentioning the numbers, just thousands. And suggesting a bit hit rather than relative tumble weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

no they were not, they were made prisoners in their own homes

My experience, and that of my neighbours would make your claim rubbish.

What are you basing your spurious claim on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Small numbers, current scandals in the US has numbers at over 300 priests in a small enough area. Go look at the list of convicted brothers and priests in Ireland currently available on line. That list is only a drop in the ocean of what was actually going on.

harr wrote: »
    Small numbers, current scandals in the US has numbers at over 300 priests in a small enough area. Go look at the list of convicted brothers and priests in Ireland currently available on line. That list is only a drop in the ocean of what was actually going on.

And god help all those poorer catholic countries globally where the church still has all the power. Rampant abuse still going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,929 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

billyhead wrote:
    So much bitterness on this thread against the church It was a very small minority of priests whom abused their position. You would swear they were all at it the way some clowns here go on.

Small amount of priests but the whole of the Catholic Church covered it up. Moving the small amount of priests allowing the number they abuse to double & triple.

It's a cop out saying only a few priests when they all covered it up & still trying to cover it up even today despite the popes words

RTE not mentioning the numbers, just thousands. And suggesting a bit hit rather than relative tumble weed.

They are saving it for later. When the pope goes home rte will have debate programs on where did it all go wrong. RTE will milk this story all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm all for a Papal visit, and living near the PP, but one thing I didn't take into account is that I can't get a Chinese tonight, none of them are delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

500,000 places, only 130,000 turn up, guess those of us protesting this event have struck a major success.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/pope-visit-ireland-dublin-15074489

In fairness, I would primarily attribute the reduced numbers to apathy, disillusionment with the church and poor weather. No doubt protesting also played a part, although it’s not something that I was aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Small amount of priests but the whole of the Catholic Church covered it up. Moving the small amount of priests allowing the number they abuse to double & triple.

It's a cop out saying only a few priests when they all covered it up & still trying to cover it up even today despite the popes words

A good priest covering for a bad priest is worse than the bad one because he allows the abuse to continue. Pedophiles may have some excuse, the rest that allowed it don't.

Sky News: Francis faces call to resign over abuse cover-up claim

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/pope-in-ireland-francis-faces-call-to-resign-over-abuse-cover-up-claim-11483048?__twitter_impression=true

This isn't going to go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Who's this woman doing the news? It's like someone's Mam is doing it.

Discodog wrote:
    A good priest covering for a bad priest is worse than the bad one because he allows the abuse to continue. Pedophiles may have some excuse, the rest that allowed it don't.

They are all bad to the extent that they had a legal & moral responsibility to report, report, report. The ones covering it up should be in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I have just read on Independent.ie that Pope Francis was not aware of the mother and baby homes and the savagery therein until he met the survivors yesterday evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm all for a Papal visit, and living near the PP, but one thing I didn't take into account is that I can't get a Chinese tonight, none of them are delivering.

The Halfway House is open. Walk up for a carvery!

The catholic ethos that you can do what you like as long as you repent & seek forgiveness is carte blanche to abusers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My experience, and that of my neighbours would make your claim rubbish.

What are you basing your spurious claim on?

I went to school right beside the PP. Many of my school friends live there with their kids now. They are all over Facebook giving out about the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Wrong, every nun and priest in the country knew there were bad things going on the the laundries and industrial schools. They're all guilty of doing nothing

How the hell anyone in their right mind could have thought what was going on in industrial schools and the laundries was right is beyond comprehension. They’re were gulags, plain and simple

Then you’d the mother and baby homes - where do you even start with that? Abuses, forced adoptions, child trafficking, huge mortality rates...

Then the clerical child abuse itself and it was compounded by coverups.

How anyone who knew what these things were and what was going on could stand idly by and let people suffer like that is just beyond me.

Of course people are bitter towards the church. You’d have to do an incredible amount of mental and moral gymnastics not to be!

I have just read on Independent.ie that Pope Francis was not aware of the mother and baby homes and the savagery therein until he met the survivors yesterday evening.

He's either a liar or has deliberately avoided the news

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Me deluded ? :rolleyes:

There were 500,000 spaces and only 130,000 showed up, we definitely contributed to that. the only deluded folks are the ones who support this corrupt organisation.

Sorry I read your post as being some apologist for the church desperately spinning that the missing 370k was entirely down to a few objectors taking a few tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

G'luck Popey. I don't think you're a bad bastard really, you just don't seem to be doing much to fix what's broken.

Advertisement