Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Why would someone waste so much of their time to order so many tickets? Pathetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Sammy2012 wrote:
    Why would someone waste so much of their time to order so many tickets? Pathetic!

Actually it can be done in less than 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Did Ed Sheehan pull bigger numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sammy2012 wrote: »

Because it's a way to protest. Their actions didn't deny others tickets. Nothing speaks louder that huge empty spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sammy2012 wrote: »

Could be worse. He could have wasted a whole afternoon trekking to the Phoenix park for mass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

6 of my family went to Ed Sheeran, 1 to the pope

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Disc wrote: »
    Because it's a way to protest. Their actions didn't deny others tickets. Nothing speaks louder that huge empty spaces.

Which must be very frustrating for the protesters. All that effort and it was never going to be a full house anyway....became an empty gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

erica74 wrote: »
    Loads of excuses being thrown around:pac:
    Are people afraid to just say that many many people hate the catholic church and everything related to it and there are far less catholics in Ireland now?

There are many that hate the RCC, but to be honest I think we're more at a point now where the majority simply just don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

Try_harder wrote: »
    6 of my family went to Ed Sheeran, 1 to the pope

The Pope has better tunes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Strazdas wrote: »
    Which must be very frustrating for the protesters. All that effort and it was never going to be a full house anyway....became an empty gesture.

I’m hardly pro RCC but that was actually a very nasty, petty stunt. Let people go if they wanted to. They mightn’t have wanted to go but no point blocking others from doing so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Watching people walking the roads this morning to the park it was obvious that they only required the footpaths. Closing so many roads and putting locals on lockdown was way over the top. Ireland has changed. The air seems somehow fresher today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Better music from the Pope

Boom boom

You beat me to it.

Billy86 wrote: »
    There are many that hate the RCC, but to be honest I think we're more at a point now where the majority simply just don't care.

Yes indeed, I think too the RCC haters are totally over-represented on this forum....the vast majority of the population are just getting on with their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

JESSUUUSSSS CHRIST, YOU ARE MA LIFEEEEE DUDUDUD

Back in 1979 you’d have had very few foreign nationals in attendance. If they hadn't them all today it would have been dismal

Strazdas wrote:

Actually seeing such a poor turnout and the large numbers at the garden of remembrance is heart warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

Varta wrote: »
    Watching people walking the roads this morning to the park it was obvious that they only required the footpaths. Closing so many roads and putting locals on lockdown was way over the top. Ireland has changed. The air seems somehow fresher today.

I’m a local and there was no “lockdown”.

I was able to go and return twice by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is it really necessary to close the streets until 11pm tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

appledrop wrote: »
    Very few people going to see the Pope by the looks of it. The weather will be used as the excuse but even yesterday when lovely day very few lined the streets in city centre.

Exactly. The weather was perfect for going to see him yesterday.

They’re all grabbing the flowers!

• Advertisement

Try_harder wrote: »
    Did Ed Sheehan pull bigger numbers?

Almost certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Actually seeing such a poor turnout and the large numbers at the garden of remembrance is heart warming.

how many people turned up for the protest, must be 3-400 thousand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

road_high wrote: »
    Back in 1979 you’d have had very few foreign nationals in attendance. If they hadn't them all today it would have been dismal

Brenda Power was on Sky News earlier and said comparisons with 1979 are probably very unfair anyway. An attendance of 1m or 1.5m people in one place was an absolute freakish and one off event in Irish history and everything would suffer in comparison.

In 2018, there is nothing whatsoever that would make 1m or 1.5m people gather in one place in Dublin : religious, atheist or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

It wasn’t a protest, apparently.

I heard from a reliable source that there was about 500 there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Was it him that claimed he would feck off into the wilderness if he didn't get his way in the 8th referendum, or one of the other ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Allinall wrote: »
    It wasn’t a protest, apparently.

I heard from a reliable source that there was about 500 there.

Oh Jeepers is that all, poor COG will be crying into his cornflakes.

His tweets are always a joy to read. :D

I don’t agree with the whole business of protestors block-booking tickets but it’s not fraud. Tickets can be booked and not used.

Saw the article on the examiner site. Several thousand, small turnout in Tuam but symbolic all the same. Fair play to Catherine Corless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Why would you bother though? If people want to go so what? Let them on. Yes the church did awful things in the past but if people want to go and celebrate mass with the pope let them on. People are on about the waste of money that the whole thing was but if they honestly believe that the money would have been spent on something useful they are more niave than I thought? We currently have MASSIVE social problems in this country and attending a mass in the Phoenix park is nowhere near the top of the list. Why are people not out protesting against waiting lists? Children who are waiting years for operations/therapies? The trolley crisis? The homeless crisis? The housing crisis? The government have so much more to answer for currently in this country than an 81 year old man. People really need to wake up about is actually going on in this country today???!!! It doesn't mean that the church shouldn't answer for what they have done in the past but many people have been abused in one way or another from other members of society includong their own family members over the years so it's not only the church who has questions to answer here.

Advertisement