Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

at the very least to shame them and their families in the future
    Calm down m8, the internet isn't ready for a hardman like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How dare they freely chose to be actively religious and embrace a personal faith :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I didn't go and had no interest in going but the intolerance shown in this thread is astounding and, frankly, worries me when I consider the future for Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

journal.ie claims 500,000 were booked out and 130,000 attended.

Largest attendance of sheep anywhere in the world this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭RoryMac

iguana wrote: »
    Considering that in Limerick, a county with a population of 195k, had 120k turn out for an All-Ireland win. I'd say it's safe to say that an Irish men's soccer world cup win could see crowds way, way in (proportional) excess of anything seen in 1979.

Pretty sure the crowd after the World Cups in 90 & 94 were higher than today but to be fair one of those also had the Saw Doctors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I didn't go and had no interest in going but the intolerance shown in this thread is astounding and, frankly, worries me when I consider the future for Irish society.

This is an overstatement. Most people are just commenting on the events and the Catholic Church’s decline in the country. That’s not intolerant.

Unlike you, I feel very positive about the future of this nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

500,000 places, only 130,000 turn up, guess those of us protesting this event have struck a major success.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/pope-visit-ireland-dublin-15074489

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RoryMac wrote: »
    Pretty sure the crowd after the World Cups in 90 & 94 were higher than today but to be fair one of those also had the Saw Doctors

The turn out in 94 was famously embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

500,000 places, only 130,000 turn up, guess those of us protesting this event have struck a major success.

We weren't the reason why only 130k turned up. There were tickets available all the way up to the window closing for those that wanted them

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

RoryMac wrote: »

Yeah well in Limerick we had to endure Bressie before the team showed up but we still soldiered on!:D

• Advertisement

We weren't the reason why only 130k turned up. There were tickets available all the way up to the window closing for those that wanted them

Any contribution that denies the RCC an audience is a success.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Look at these 500 guys at the Stand For Truth protest. They must have been walking past the camera, then running very fast around the block so they could walk back past the camera to inflate their massive numbers.

https://www.facebook.com/100004589328097/videos/1042578915905076/?hc_ref=ARQwkpc1MLUj8b9YUMQcpX9BPZSTs9cNjULeQdWgX_poClK9YOXoLUjNqixrBcFQal4&__xts__

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

That's funny. I find the fact 130k turned up to support this farce astounding and, frankly, worries me when I consider the future for Irish society.

Francis will be lucky to make Christmas if the allegations coming out this morning from the US get traction in the Vatican.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Is he gone yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Some muppet on TV3 after claiming it could have been nearly 300,000 in the Park , Jesus some people don’t like hearing the truth.
    I wonder if they will even release the proper attendance all tickets were scanned so they will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Tzardine wrote: »
    In 79, over 1 million people turned up. About 35% of the whole country.

If it is 130,000 today then thats 2.7%, and that includes everybody involved in the event.

That says it all really. What would it be in another 40 years when the current group of older people die off. The Pope could probably not fill a Starbucks then.

Dont forget also that 400000 turned up in Limerick

350000 in Drogeda

300000 in Galway

450 000 at Knock

Plus 750 000 lined the streets of Dublin on his way back from Drogeda

These are recorded facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It looks to me about 80,000 or so based on similar images of concerts. Roughly one Croke Park load or two and a half Leitrims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭billyhead

So much bitterness on this thread against the church
    It was a very small minority of priests whom abused their position. You would swear they were all at it the way some clowns here go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

billyhead wrote: »
    It was a very small minority of priests whom abused their position. You would swear they were all at it the way some clowns here go on.

And it was the church that covered it up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oh Jeepers is that all, poor COG will be crying into his cornflakes.

Well given that he's a victim of abuse you'd understand the occasional cry no?

Or maybe you think an upset abuse victim is hilarious...

• Advertisement

It's the continued cover up people are mad over. I thought that's obvious to everyone, but obviously not to a clown like you (to use your own word).

Francis will be lucky to make Christmas as Pope with the allegations coming out of the US against him this morning.

But it was all levels of the organization that conspired from the Vatican down to silence victims and cover it up.

You might not want to admit that to yourself but that's the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Wrong, every nun and priest in the country knew there were bad things going on the the laundries and industrial schools. They're all guilty of doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    It's the continued cover up people are mad over. I thought that's obvious to everyone, but obviously not to a clown like you (to use your own word).

Francis will be lucky to make Christmas as Pope with the allegations coming out of the US against him this morning.

Who’s going to fire him?

All the Catholic Church defenders on here moaning about intolerance whilst mocking victims of child abuse at the same time. Muppets.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/pope-visit-ireland-dublin-15074489

You'd like that to be true but don't delude yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Wrong, every nun and priest in the country knew there were bad things going on the the laundries and industrial schools. They're all guilty of doing nothing

why would criminals cease criminal activity if the state is still not going to ever prosecute them or uphold criminal justice then or now ?

Allinall wrote: »
    Who’s going to fire him?

Same reason Benedict was made stand down. Too wrapped up in the cover up and the Vatican will hide them away before a Pope has a chance od getting an arrest warrant against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Those priests moved themselves to other parishes and kept them away from being subject to the laws by various means did They?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    You'd like that to be true but don't delude yourself

Me deluded ? :rolleyes:

There were 500,000 spaces and only 130,000 showed up, we definitely contributed to that. the only deluded folks are the ones who support this corrupt organisation.

Advertisement